/dark/

industrial, post punk, gothic rock, dark shoegaze, and related genres.

youtube.com/watch?v=bMMDSzfnE6s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-ZittrzIo
youtube.com/watch?v=YV9G8chxNkg
youtube.com/watch?v=B3Q5_Zv9lDc
youtube.com/watch?v=KhW3ucn6a_k
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsCA6MJVTg
youtube.com/watch?v=8saaKQ9WTOY
youtube.com/watch?v=kLXj7MEzz10
youtube.com/watch?v=c-MastCgQmY
youtube.com/watch?v=FSK5b_N2EAo
youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY
youtube.com/watch?v=LGl_Cn-H05g
youtube.com/watch?v=8a2hGhamVwA
youtube.com/watch?v=dRSz7sW6g7w
youtube.com/watch?v=z5WN3s4NCoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fiOUq5kr7qI
youtube.com/watch?v=ENCWgj5JOV8
youtube.com/watch?v=amR6-neQBPE
youtube.com/watch?v=I9Radb4djKE
youtube.com/watch?v=h5X62X_YRi0
youtube.com/watch?v=FiqDvJD2gX4
youtube.com/watch?v=4uWQtU3V2Mw
youtube.com/watch?v=3qZOjLb_oGg
youtu.be/oHBMaaLdnk4?t=43
youtube.com/watch?v=_SjihktuCh4
youtu.be/CQHcNyw5csU?t=340
youtube.com/watch?v=bBYTSCNbOIA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9qLzarIFE
youtube.com/watch?v=fPUYb0Y6cvU
youtube.com/watch?v=NHWsZTUUZBM
youtube.com/watch?v=mp0UEYTmd58
youtube.com/watch?v=h84xKXGPl1k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQ3fsilOks
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZokYdZSQ8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfr1LCFL8c
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5wKah0qgDAY
youtube.com/watch?v=Vk0b8mDwkxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gGPMnHxW8Dg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>My Dad Is Dead

Oh man, I listened to this guy religiously like 4-5 years ago. Some of the most miserable rock music ever recorded.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-ZittrzIo

Any recommendations as far as modern deathrock/goth-punk goes? I like these.

youtube.com/watch?v=YV9G8chxNkg
youtube.com/watch?v=B3Q5_Zv9lDc
youtube.com/watch?v=KhW3ucn6a_k

>dad is dead core
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsCA6MJVTg

I feel like kids these days aren't /dark/. Back when I was edgy and dressed in black, I listened to goth rock and industrial and such, but does that even exist anymore to young kids?

In little pockets here and there. Thing is pretty much everybody who was edgy and dressed in black last time it was really a thing forgot to pass the torch to younger kids as they got old. Underground scenes in the midwest are starting to become a thing again in the last three or four years though, so expect more of them soon. I give it til about 2020 when the high school kids with moms and big brothers in bands/scenes get old enough to go to bars.

It's just kind of a bummer. I've seen Front 242 and Skinny Puppy in the last couple years and I was pretty much the youngest person there and I'm in my mid-20's.

It'll get better as long as kids like you do your part to keep things going. Not like there's a goth MTV playing in every school cafeteria. Things are very word-of-mouth.

There were some cybergoff and neongoff, but no one /dark/. I'm in my mid-20s too.

Yeah. Surprisingly, there was a ton of young kids at the My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult show I went to last year.

>but does that even exist anymore to young kids?

There's been a major resurgence in interest when it comes to goth and industrial and shit during the past several years, both the classic bands and newer artists(see: Iceage, Cold Cave, Chelsea Wolfe, Puce Mary etc.). I'd say there's more "kids" into it now than ever before, it's just that with the dawn of the Internet there's also a lot of room for crossover and more expansive tastes, so now the people who would once only be listening to post-punk and industrial are also into black metal and techno and noise music and whatever.
I guess the "purity" of subcultural divides is gone, but the interest is still alive and well.

My local scene has a huge black metal crossover. Which beats the hell out of the raver douches who played "goth night" around here in the late 90s-early 00s. The local bands are much better for it too. Used to be "show off my toy keyboard" bands all day, now there's some good guitaring and crazy song structures in the local underground, and everybody dresses waaaay better.

That sounds sick. Got any bands you'd recommend I check out?

Also some pretty well-known early noise kids from my town grew up and went dark/coldwave recently, which further diversifies things.

Is this /dark/ youtube.com/watch?v=8saaKQ9WTOY

Local or (inter)national?

>dark/coldwave

Yeah, that sounds seems to have found a new audience as well in recent years.
Some solid young bands have been coming out of it too, not all of them necessarily working in the context of those genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=kLXj7MEzz10

youtube.com/watch?v=c-MastCgQmY

youtube.com/watch?v=FSK5b_N2EAo

Local.

Anyway, these are local bands, so don't expect crazy iconicness, but they're good to go out for for a $5 show every couple of months:

thetrueguignol.bandcamp.com
Aside from the lead singer, everybody in this band is a multi-instrumentalist in an active black metal band. They try to pull it back for this project, but it comes out as minor chords against key signature, and the general cold cvltness of the production, which carries over live.

atrocityandthecomplications.bandcamp.com
These guys are all minor league punk/grindcore veterans. The music's pretty straight-forward dance goth/death rock most of the time, but there's a growl here and there, and the guitar work has some deep palm mutes and occasionally simple sweep and trem picking in the leads.

just came here to say that this is the best general i've ever seen

keep it up lads, love you all

Cheers.

how do i into /dark/
i've been listening to a lot of droney shit/shoegaze like belong and grouper does that fall under this?

Similar textures deeper into the genre:
early stuff, you could probably get into Joy Division and Bauhaus without feeling too far out of home, and later stuff try Light Asylum and Lebanon Hanover. Get used to a lot more synths and drums.

Earlier coldwave like Norma Loy, Martin duPont, Oper de Nuit you might like if you want something to dance to.

Brotherhood of Pagans has pretty atmospheric and heavily modulated guitars, but is very rock.

yeah i dig joy division and some other post punk like that, just don't know too much of it right now. i'll check out those other bands thanks

I gave you a pretty diverse range of stuff. Some of it doesn't sound remotely like the other, but all should have elements that appeal to you. This is entry level music too. If you can get into it, dig deeper by all means.

What does /dark/ think of the 2nd annual report?

bumphaus
youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY

Daniel Ash is an underappreciated guitarist.

youtube.com/watch?v=LGl_Cn-H05g

youtube.com/watch?v=8a2hGhamVwA

In the suburban Midwest where I live the only darkish stuff kids or anyone else I know of for that matter listen to is generic metal, slipknot or stuff like my chemical romance and pierce the veil. It's too bad really.

Anybody else DJ a monthly/whenever night? Gear? Battle plans?

Cool if you don't wanna get specific, but think about where the nearest city of over say 50k people is. If there's nothing going on there, it'll be ripe for starting something.

This band was based out of Omaha until a couple of years ago:
youtube.com/watch?v=dRSz7sW6g7w

I live in a town with about 20k people with absolutely nothing, it's about 20 miles away from the city metro though.
There are cool people and I'm sure I'm just introverted and lame but it's just depressing sometimes. (Violent Femmes came from around here)

Just generally speaking, west of the Mississippi?

nm I fail at reading comprehension. Trying to find you something to do. I keep on top of what's going on everywhere as best I can.

See if anybody you've never heard of is playing at Club Anything any time soon and give them a chance.

Skeleton Hands is coming to that general area toward the end of June. Great show, saw them a few weeks ago.

goth is a meme now, girls think painting their nails black and wearing a pink sweater while listening to drake is goth.

anyway, my contributions:

youtube.com/watch?v=z5WN3s4NCoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fiOUq5kr7qI

That's kind of the best possible opening to a wedge strategy to get wider audiences though. You solicit to a group of 20 of those girls and three of them will show up to a show the following weekend.

Just a hint of thrash
youtube.com/watch?v=ENCWgj5JOV8

links to these bands?

also, baka for thinking guitars > synthesizers

The queen of goth:

youtube.com/watch?v=amR6-neQBPE

Real synth is a big help though. The death of that old scene in my town was an instrumental band that literally played guitars along to preset halloween music demos on a toy keyboard. No vocals, no part-writing, they'd just play the same thing the keyboard was playing along with it.

The shit that evolved into that wasn't much better. The virtues of what we have now around here are mostly there are actual musicians actually writing music.

do you ever book bands?

Yeah, it's my main job actually.

To elaborate, I'll put a three-band showcase together every couple of months of all regional acts, then take any touring band that comes my way and put something together for them.

My city is a relatively large mid-sized, so there's a second group I work with off again on again that does 2 DJ sets a night once a month, one band in between at least every other one of those, and I usually end up in charge of finding the band for that too.

The Scream is the best Banshees album.

youtube.com/watch?v=I9Radb4djKE

link to a fb or something? might hit you up sometime

The Rapture doesn't get nearly enough love though.

youtube.com/watch?v=h5X62X_YRi0

Point me at your band. We'll be in touch when I'm free up. Would rather not be a swollen lantern of prey on this shithole message board.

rather not, same reason. but i tour the usa every once in a while and have never been trough KY. any info on that flyer i can google?

There are pretty good scenes in Louisville and Lexington. I obviously work in Lexington. Google "lexington goth scene" and you'll find some way to get a hold of me. I make it pretty easy.

>Lexington

You into Clay Rendering? The two members of that band used to live there and were involved in all sorts of crazy noise shit.
Pretty /dark/ stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=FiqDvJD2gX4

youtube.com/watch?v=4uWQtU3V2Mw

I went to college with them. Mikey was in a pretty big noise band called Hair Police. They toured with Sonic Youth. I booked CR down here a year or two ago.

Gotta say though, I actually would love to hear generic goth guitar to Halloween music presets on a Casio.

Oh it was terrible.

seconded

That's fucking nuts. I'm a huge fan of Connelly's work, in Hair Police as well as a lot of the other projects he's been involved with. The record label he used to run was great as well.
You seen Hair Police live much?

I was in a punk band not worth mentioning that opened for them in 2002. I had them play my basement all the time back then. Once opening for Hudson Falcons believe it or not lol. An early Hair Police pit was a scary thing. There's footage from my basement on one of their DVDs where I'm rolling around covered in blood. I had just slammed my gf into a support column.

I should also mention, the Clay Rendering set down here was just great, such a great energy night, brought in a lot of people I don't usually see at our nights. Can't wait til they come back down.

any links for croatian armor? nothing on soulseek or what...

Gyorgy Ligeti (1923-2006)
String Quartet No. 1 youtube.com/watch?v=3qZOjLb_oGg

Henryk Gorecki (1933-2010)
String Quartet No. 2 Quasi una Fantasia
youtu.be/oHBMaaLdnk4?t=43

Per Norgard (b.1932)
Quartetto Breve
youtube.com/watch?v=_SjihktuCh4

Thomas Ades
Arcadiana Op 12,
youtu.be/CQHcNyw5csU?t=340
(Also includes Beethoven's Grosse Fuge Op133 which is great too)

wrong thread or hardcore tryhard?

That's cool as hell.

>An early Hair Police pit was a scary thing.

I can imagine, Blow Out Your Blood was an insane album.

Nah man, nothing wrong with that guy. Some Hildegaard would be in order out of him though instead of this new pop stuff.

It's "Amor", not "Armor".

I bought it the instant it came out, memorized it (there are lyrics, but they never played a live set the same way twice in that era), and would scream them back and Mikey and Trevor through a megaphone when we were just hanging out. You wouldn't believe how protective they actually are about their hearing. Their reactions were always hilarious.

My favorite is "WINNING THE CON-TEEEEST MEANSSSSS BEING THE BESSSSTAH"

They did do something vaguely recognizable as Vocalist Dan Marino in my basement once and I flipped my shit.

Hey, thanks user I appreciate it
(I had no idea either of those things even existed I'm totally clueless about everything, I barely ever leave my town but I definitely should)

Man, I'm envious as fuck.
You ever hang out with any of the other noise dudes who had close ties to Hair Police, like C. Spencer Yeh or Dom Fernow or the Wolf Eyes crew?

derp

Wolf Eyes played Lexington with HP at least once. Didn't really get to hang out with them, but they seemed like really cool guys. Mikey gave me one of their CDs leading up to that show, can't remember which one. This would've been 03ish.

The WE live set involved what appeared to be a mosquito trapped in a pringles can with a contact mic.

>This would've been 03ish.

I reckon Dead Hills would have been the most recent "major" Wolfs release at the time(meaning a proper CD/LP and not one of their countless tapes or CD-Rs). Was that it?
Really heavy shit, one of my favorites of theirs.

youtube.com/watch?v=bBYTSCNbOIA

>The WE live set involved what appeared to be a mosquito trapped in a pringles can with a contact mic.

Hah, I think I remember reading some interview with them where they were talking about this. Very imaginative dudes.

Yeah that's the one, recognize the cover.

That thing made the weirdest fucking sound. Everybody in the crowd was like "Hold it up like this! Yeah! Now bring it down!"

I started making /dark/ stuff because I got bored with indie.

And yeah, if you ever get a chance to talk with Mikey and Tara, ask them about the band Big White Pickup. They'll corroborate a lot of my stories.

All of this pussy /dark/ in here, who fucks with Samhain?

Right on dude, I really enjoyed this chat.

My favorite Danzig band. I've got every second of November Coming Fire and Unholy Passion burned into my brain forever.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9qLzarIFE

youtube.com/watch?v=fPUYb0Y6cvU

youtube.com/watch?v=NHWsZTUUZBM

youtube.com/watch?v=mp0UEYTmd58

Always thought it was a real shame that they didn't do at least one more album with that deathrock sound before moving into full-on metal territory.

Touring Europe right now and the US late this summer/early fall.
youtube.com/watch?v=h84xKXGPl1k

Also I'm sure you're aware, but Robert from HP has become a pretty prolific album art designer. He's still in town and we run in the same circles, but don't really get to talk much.

November Coming Fire, is amazing.
Nothing else sounds like it.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQ3fsilOks

Final Descent has a few great tracks, but they are all from around 86, like you said, before they went full metal.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZokYdZSQ8

m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfr1LCFL8c

Wrong version of Lords

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5wKah0qgDAY

Yeah, Beatty's work as a visual artist is great. He's done some of my favorite album covers.
The old-school electronic shit he's doing as Three Legged Race is pretty cool as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vk0b8mDwkxQ

I had no idea he was still living in Lexington.

>You will never be part of the closeknit no wave scene back in the 70s/80s and become buddies with Arto Lindsay and Glenn Branca

Yeah TLR and Idiot Glee play here damn near weekly when they're not off in Nashville or wherever being grownups.

>I will always be part of a small-town version of it and enjoy where I am in life.

real queen of Goth.
early 80's
youtube.com/watch?v=gGPMnHxW8Dg

>the real queen of death rock
But yeah.
>saw 45 Grave in this toilet across the river from Cincinnati
>like 30 people showed up
>first opening act was ok
>second opening act was offensively terrible
>Dinah and 3 touring musicians
>wear my limited edition full color T
>go out back after set
>shit band is hanging out there
>"hey dude, this headliner is pretty big you know, they were on the rotld soundtrack. You like the cure?"
>"i fucking know, idiot, fuck off."
>kid playing bass for 45 grave comes out
>signs my shirt
>"Dinah's still inside if you wanna talk to her"
>"fuck yeah I do"
>Dinah's talking to some fat bitch about fat bitch's friend who has cancer or something
>for like 20 minutes
>finally
>"Will you sign my shit?" I sperg out
>"Will. I. Sign. your. Shit? Yeah that's what I'm here for. This is a really rare shirt. They broke the screens after they were done."
>"awesome"
>all of us, Dinah included, immediately thrown out of the bar, last call

>Nothing else sounds like it.

They really did stumble upon an incomparable sound, yeah.

Man, all this talk of Hair Police has got me itching to give some of those old tapes more spins.
Do you have any idea what the status of the band is? They all seem to be pretty busy with other shit these days.

Yes.

Hair Police? I don't think there's any chance of them doing anything any time soon as far as I know. The rest of the band is all still hanging around Lexington most of the time, but with Mikey in Michigan and all of them so busy, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also
>Rikk Agnew was supposed to play guitar on that tour, but got sick
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

>Rikk Agnew was supposed to play guitar on that tour, but got sick
That really is the worst thing.

That's unfortunate but I figured as much.
If it turns out that they're finished at least they went out on a high note. Mercurial Rites is a modern industrial masterpiece.

They left a hell of a legacy for what was supposed to be a little regional band too. They did what they needed to do and then some.

Also
>did get my shirt signed and managed to get a picture with her
>i look like wasted ass and my fingers are digging holes into her arm
>i invented reverse hover-hand

It's good, we just need to make sure to gauge our profits regarding the fiscal year

>They did what they needed to do and then some.

Yeah no kidding, just all the attention and acclaim they got back in the mid-2000s was huge for a noise band, and then they spent almost 10 more years doing their thing.

>i look like wasted ass and my fingers are digging holes into her arm
>i invented reverse hover-hand

Too much man, too much.

What is some good gothic hardcore punk (deathpunk i guess)? Something like Rudimentary Peni but even harsher.

Catholic Spit and Börn are fucking great