/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

easyuefi.com/wintohdd/index.html
github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ#Do_you_plan_to_support_internal_HDDsSSDs
jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-red/543922/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Some buttos o my keyboard do't work after I spilled water. What ca I do?

Tke t prt nd cln t

anyone familiar with hydrus's regexes? I want to import a few hundred photos that have the tags I want as their names
ex: "butthole ass vagina_expansion blonde.jpg"

i cannot get this damn regex system down though

with most technology transitioning from analog to digital,
CRT

Should I cop for $20, I need to buy a pc soon

Human ears dont have a digital input

Is anyone else's 4chanX broke?

Audio is analog user, your ears don't work in a digital way.
Google what a DAC is.

How resilient is windows raid 0 (or storage spaces) to power failures, unrelated bsods etc?
I've seen people mention spontaneous data loss but how often does that happen? I don't have UPS and sometimes install beta drivers/firmware that are prone to bsods.
I'm going to rsync to a backup server anyway, probably weekly, but if I'd have to restore 3TB of data after every single bsod I'd rather find some other way to spread it across multiple hdds.

durr

Your definition of 'digital' seems to be rooted in buzzwords. Light from a LCD is no more or less analog than a CRT, the majority of LED lamps are 100% analog, and recording bits on a spinning disk is not more or less analog than floating static charges in NAND gate arrays.

>TFT CFL backlight
I mean, if you really need one it will work but it will be "Hurts my eyes" tier.

playing devil's advocate for user here

theoretically in a future where we have a perfect understanding of our brain's synapses, we could encode music in a "digital" format that could communicate directly with our brains. it wouldn't be analog as it would involve no sound waves.

CFLs are less harmful than trash tier WLEDs unless the tubes are super worn out.

Im talking about the screen image quality, i know CFL is better than PWM LED.
Still not the best but for $20 its good enough.

Are you the same user from a few weeks ago thst claimed data tapes are analog?

>iDontWantToLiveOnThisPlanetAnymore.jpg

10 years old CCFL professional displays btfo any and all WLED panels.
You'd probably have to raise brightness level from default 30 to 35-40 for comfortable browsing. If that degradation rate is constant good CCFLs would work for 50 more years.

what code/cipher could this be?
bgm7t8y77 m7i g yu8ibi

update

We are talking about a $250 2012 screen though.

Can i install windows 7 on my laptop by using a hardisk? I have an idea where you split the partitions to 2 in the hardisk, the other one contains all the file that were in the hardisk, and the other one contains the OS installer and set it as active partition

nevermind I just had the userscript disabled

In theory, yes.
Just use a 4GB+ USB user.

Wont work

>it wouldn't be analog as it would involve no sound waves

That's just the medium. Something can still be analog if it's electrical.
The question is more about biology. If our electro-chemical neurons can only communicate through simple on/off impulses, then on some level we are digital. But I think there's different levels of activity that convey different information, and if the interface used a range of signal strengths to communicate then even a direct neural implant wouldn't be "digital".

>raid 0
There is no resilience in raid 0. There is no parity information in raid 0
Anything corrupted/written during these events is 1:1 written on the second drive.

You can...

easyuefi.com/wintohdd/index.html

It wouldn't be my first choice.

Use Rufus on the Windows 7 ISO and your drive and it should automatically figure out the partitioning shit. Or just manually partition off the first 4GB if you don't want to lose the contents of the drive.

Anyone knowledgeable in ICC and 3DLUTS here?
Which rendering intent works best when mapping bt.709 content to a wide gamut display? Perceptual, relative colorimetric, saturation or absolute colorimetric?
For example bt.709>99% DCI-P3 display?

github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ#Do_you_plan_to_support_internal_HDDsSSDs

I am having a brain fart with Word.

You have the red section, then indented from that is the blue section, and then indented from that is the green section.

When this is set up correctly, you can type in each one of these sections without affecting any of the text in the other sections. What are these called?

You'd be better off using excel

Columns

Fuck. I am an idiot.
Thanks bud.

anybody having trouble with clover lately? keeps giving me connection errors

Started learning programming, and i've gone through a book on learning C

Thing is, right now i want to learn how to make actual programs with it for fun, rather than having to type words in a console...

Where can I learn that? I've been looking and aparently embarcadero's RADstudio is what im looking for. Is there a good book on the subject? What is the name of what i'm looking for? Object oriented programming? The concepts are mixed up in my head right now

Why exactly would I want a camera with "megapixels?"
Isn't the whole idea to make the pixels as small as possible?

Something pixel talks about the amount of pixels on any given space rather than the size of each one

Mega being a prefix for 1000000

How do I get sound from the TV to my PC with still being able to the sound from the Computer.

You could use an aux cable for the second audio input

This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen

>type words in a console
When you no longer need a tutorial or sheet telling you what to type. Then you code for your self

For someone who has never written code in his life (unless Excel and command prompt commands count)
What programming language should I start to learn first and how do I get started in doing that
Also what language should I be proficient in if I want to be able to transfer into some of the programming departments of my company
It's finance and everything is moving to FinTech in the future and these nibbas getting paid out the ass
I want in

probably c++ or python

Im not sure I get what you mean...
I want to make basically the same programs i'm making now, but instead of getting input/output through cold text promping the user what to type, I want to use textboxes and buttons. Maybe later moving on to scripts to do lots of actions on web pages with less clicks.

That's called a GUI, or Graphical User Interface.

I remember watching some show on new designs for particle accelerators, and they were using a kind of twisted torus that allowed the current to rotate much more efficiently. It looked kind of wavy, like a smoothed torus know. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm interested in modeling one and I can't remember what it's called.

>pic related

what's the best GPU I can get for 70 bucks? Gt1030? something else used? Alrealy checked the 750ti and it won't go lower than 90 dollaroos. When i say 70 I mean 70, that's all I can afford in a GPU.

Wait for one more paycheck and buy something better

no I have more money, but 70 is all I have for a GPU, it's not negotiable I'm afraid.

>i have more money
What the fuck are you going on about

What are helpful ways for a user to test an app?

A small developer I know is letting me test a beta, and I'd like to offer more constructive criticism than "lol I like/hate it."

Actually you want the receptors to be as big as possible (to a point), as that means more light is available to each one. They're more likely to get a sufficient amount of light for a good image, and sufficiently differentiate themselves from their neighbors. It's particularly helpful with night photos. Small pixel size is a problem compounded by phones (which have little space to dedicate to their sensor) pushing their megapixel count way up just because that's a number people recognize. A few companies have specifically advertised phones with fewer megapixels and larger individual pixel receptors, with mixed results.

what are you guys using for session manager on ff quantum?

This might sound stupid, but get really drunk and use your app. It makes you so much more aware of inconveniences, design issues, and things non-power users will experience.

Sup Forums, I've been trying to find a way to organize my MIDI files, but the problem is my PC doesn't have a T-38 SCSI port and my keyboard doesn't have a tulley toggle to unlock my hard drive, are they any adapters for the T-38 SCSI port and any other way to unlock my hard drive?

GT 1030.
Save and buy a GTX 1050Ti on sale for $120-130.

in order to learn python which book should I start with?
>Automate The Boring Stuff (I guess till chapter 10 I saw an user recommending)
>Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist

Would I be able to whack ubuntu on this and have it work fine?
jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-red/543922/

Buy a Thinkpad X220, you get multiple times the performance for the same price.

Unless you don't have a working knowledge of the core concepts of programming/CS, python is easily learned by trial and error (and stack exchange). Or just buy the O'Reily book.

Why the hell not?

but

People still unironically use Ubuntu in 2018?

What's the purpose of the black plastic? Can I take it off?

Placeboo effect on proper heat dissipation between the CPU and heatsink.
Its supposed to stop the paste from touching the aluminium heatsink.

Its not used anymore.

Both are good. Think Python might be a bit more comprehensive on the Python language. Automate has case studies (chapter 11+) on real life programs. Both are freely available online so read them both (skimming the parts that overlap).

If I remove it, will the temps get better? Or it's not worth it?

No, it doesn't affect temperatures at all, it doesn't matter if you leave it or remove it.

You want to reduce temperatures? buy Quality paste like MX-4 or NT-H1.
Clean the surface of the heatsink and PSU with isopropyl alcohol and only use a dot of paste, if you use too much temperatures actually increase.

Is it worth my time and effort to model up a 3.5L case? I drew it up, have access to a CNC Mill and plasma cutter, and I kinda want to push the it meme to the limit while still accommodating a LP 1050ti.

Bump

All things being equal, what are the differences in stock paste vs different types of, say, arctic?

If you're having dissipation problems with proper contact and any given paste, isn't the answer usually the sink?

What's the point of Discord?

Shitty paste vs quality paste 15°C +-.
Quality paste vs Quality paste 1°C.

Yes.

So should I we wiping pre-applied paste and using quality the next time I install a heatsink?

Or should I never use factory-supplied heatsinks?

Why won't my VPN Server operate on UDP?

Steps I've done to troubleshoot:
Change port to another number: Fails
Switched to TCP : Works
Port is definitely forwarded, but returns timed out when checking if open. and I get packets incoming when I try and connect via UDP when running TCP Dump with the udp switch on both my router and server.
Does anyone have any suggestions? googling has been a bit fruitless.

Yes, you are supposed to remove the old paste.
The point of it is to make perfect contact between the CPU and the heatsink.
A tube of good quality paste is $4-5 (MX-4, NT-H1, AS5) and lasts 20-30 applications each tube.
Factory supplied heatsinks are fine.

No, I'm saying I buy a new i7 and the paste is pre-applied on the sink. Should I remove that paste and apply my own?

Contact your vpn provider

How the fuck do I install Linux alongside Windows? Do installers give an option, or do I have to do some complex process to make it work? All I want is either Debian or Arch, and I know Arch is the more complicated of the two. Also, do I need a thumbdrive? How do I make it so on boot I can choose between the two?

I'm not a stranger to Linux, but I've never actually dual booted before.

Easy chat communities. It's basically the kind of communication system you would get with a console or steam but not tied to anything, and more scaleable.

Can i import my ublock/adblock filter lists/custom rules into adguard with no problems? Or are they not compatible to each other

Installers give you the option. Make sure to make a backup if you're making new partitions. You will need a thumb drive. You boot from it using your screens boot menu or modifying your BIOS boot order settings.

If you didn't know that, for the love of god, don't start with Arch. Or even plain debian. Start with an ubuntu derivative that interests you and then move on when comfy.

Don't know what your reasoning is, but if you're not sure, go with ubuntu.

You need to make free space on your drive. If windows is already installed, you need to shrink it. You can try from disk management, if it won't let you shrink it enough you'll need to use a 3rd party program. Then use rufus to flash the iso to your flash drive. Use the installer to install to the free space. Grub will let you choose your OS on boot.

I am my VPN provider.
My VPN server is my a VM, And I'm trying to VPN into my Home network via said virtual server.

IIRC ublock can import ABP rules but adds its own non-standard ones. There's really no reason you want to be using anything besides uBlock though.

I used to run Gentoo on my laptop for fun, and experimented with distros already. It's not that I'm inexperienced, it's just been a while and I've never done a dual boot before so I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks, will do that.

You need to free some space on your hard drive and then create a filesystem during the installation process (or beforehand).
If you are currently running Windows, try any partitioning software, your hard drive should look like this:
- Windows bootloader partition (delete it)
- C:\ with your windows on it
- unallocated space
After you install your Linux distro:
- grub partition
- Linux partition (put everything in one, don't bother with separate /home and skip the swap)
- C:\ with your windows on it

Well the thing with ublock is that it constantly keeps breaking websites for some reason, when i turn it off and/or reinstall it works for a while again but then it starts happening again with no forewarning

Plus adguard has like half a million users

Anyways i'm just going to import those filters in adguard and see what happens

So the windows bootloader doesn't matter? Alright. Will do. Thanks.

A quick way to get the partitioning right is to install Ubuntu (or use any installer that have the options you need) and then test if this works.
If it does, and you don't want Ubuntu, install the other distro without changing the partition setup.

Yup. You replace it's functions with grub.
Good luck user.

Yes.

Number of users doesn't matter for shit. You absolutely want ublock. If something's going wrong, you want to pin that down. It probably has something to do with the way you use it.

Is "advanced user" checked? What filter lists have you changed? Do you have any problems when you run on default settings? You really shouldn't need much in the way of custom rules, and they could be what's fucking you up, especially if you don't really understand 100% of what you're doing.

Rather than reinstalling, try "Reset to default settings".

Have you installed/configured samba?

isn't samba for sharing your files with other computers? I'm trying to do the opposite

If you're trying to connect to a windows share, you need samba, regardless of whether or not you're participating in sharing.

my deathadder 2013 is finally dying

ive heard shit things about razer that the 2013 deathadder was the last best one. why? do i buy a new deathadder, get a brand new 2013 off amazon, or what other options am i looking at?

its the stupid double click issue that im gonna attempt to fix