What's so bad about Microsoft?

What's so bad about Microsoft?

>inb4 muh botnet
Non-meme arguments only, please.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119750905506538&w=2
google.com/search?q=paperweight site:openprinting.org
github.com/Microsoft
mediashift.org/2011/07/why-missouri-j-school-should-rescind-its-apple-laptop-requirement206/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft
twitter.com/AnonBabble

poo in loo

They instantly became to shit the moment they revealed and released Windows 10, and it's not just because of telemetry alone.

hey kids, whats wrong with robber baron companies holding a monopoly on an entire industry? what dont you the security of a single company setting artificial prices on markets?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)

These walled gardens can fuck you. Here’s how...
Buy database software for work. Compatible with WordPerfect and Windows only. Integrates with a particular Accounting software. One “updates” reaching eol on another, so forced to upgrade next software. Database changes eula, so converts to subscription model, requires perpetual payment. Switch database in response, but lose WordPerfect compatibility. Switch to a Word in response. This cluster fuck continues as you take it up the ass from walled garden vendors... The expense in cash outlay, time lost to relearning all this shit, downtime lost to “upgrades”... It’s a nightmare. It’s not MS in particular, but these proprietary walled gardens constantly “upgrading” that fucks you.

Microsoft is not a monopoly by any objective measure.

Microsoft has even more of a monopoly on consumer operating systems than Vanderbilt did on railroads or Rockefeller had on the oil market by a large margin

Wrong.

In bed with NSA, getting rimmed
Shit OS too (10)

>He uses "objective" in a subjective way

>Linux
>contains stuff literally made by the actual NSA
>"durr MS is in bed with the NSA"

spoiler, apple has a history of heavily targeting the education market. now post a picture of the average corporate office in america and you'll see 10x as many shitty dells, hps and chinkpads running windows

Present day Microsoft is trash because they are forcing fisher price design, removing features, and adding tons of intrusiveness and bloat in all their software and their OS.

With that being said, it's nowhere near as awful as the pretentious fashion statement that requires you to complete a pain olympics to get done even the simplest of tasks that could be completed with the click of a mouse in Windows while fumbling around in terminals and spending days editing config files all to spend ages downloading and compiling (and praying it doesn't break) a tiny library of sub-par garbage commieware made by neckbeards in the last 10 years with barely any development history or monetary incentive backing it up and downloading 50tb of updates every week just so your OS stays usable for more than a couple years known as Linux on the desktop, or as I like to call it, the facebook kernel.

If a piece of software is "free and open source", chances are that it's going to be absolute garbage. Take Blender, GIMP, and Kdenlive for example and compare them to industry standard masterpieces like 3DS Max, Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects, and Photoshop. The comparison is laughable.

The core use of a computer is to run software, and Linux can't do that. It's a server kernel and should stay on the server.
>b-but muh kernel and packages

Windows XP will always be king and you should install Windows XP.

>he hasn't the remotest slight idea what those words even possibly mean

>literally

No, he hasn't

Holy shit. Those have to be issued. Is this a bay area school. Please tell me we're not this far gone.

Free software is not gratis software. It's free as in freedom, and Microsoft is not concerned about freedom

Name 1 (one) objective metric by which Microsoft is a monopoly. I'll wait.

Because Microsoft doesn't target the education market, right?

>now post a picture of the average corporate office in america and you'll see 10x as many windows
Because it's superior.

My hard drive is compiled of 0s and 1s. I have purchased all the components of said 0s and 1s. I am supposed to 'own' those 0s and 1s. But you don't own the 0s and 1s. We have this company that arbitrarily changes said 0s and 1s to take control of their users in an attempt for making more money. I don't own my 0s and 1s and I do not control changing those 0s and 1s.

Bro fuck Microsoft. Since when is it a sustainable business strategy to fuck over their clients? there is market blowback for when you fuck over customers and we need to show Microsoft that greed brings long term losses, short term gains.

They have been shit long before Windows 10

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119750905506538&w=2

>Windows arbitrarily changes your data
[citation needed]
>there is market blowback for when you fuck over customers and we need to show Microsoft that greed brings long term losses, short term gains
You've been saying that for decades now. If you haven't gotten anywhere, it's probably an indicative that you're wrong.

>Microsoft extends some standard
>omg they're so mean they're just trying to lock you in those evil greedy capitalist bastards!

>GNU extends some standard
>*open-mouth soyboy smile*

It's okay when the fat jew Stallman does it, right?

If you own the 0s and 1s, then you have to fix them. Maintain them. You are not supposed to own it unless you want to. And I, along with 99% of computer users are far to lazy to patch code on my everyday tech. The changes aren't arbitrary. Read the patch notes.

I'm not saying that they're amazing or perfect.

But their good enough for me.

Better than the others anyway.

The fact that you cannot disable windows updates even with modifications of registry and disabling is scary. Open doors that just allow them to arbitrarily change data happens all the time. There was one Windows 'Security' update that magically disabled a whole slew of HP printers compatibility in Windows 10. These printers worked fine on Windows 10 pre-update. After the update the printers stopped functioning and the drivers for Windows 10 on the manufacturers website disappeared.

How much do you want to bet some fucking asshole executive from HP shook hands with an equally asshole executive from Microsoft shook hands for that to happen? They created built in obsolescence for short term profits.

Fuck Microsoft.

I was always sceptical about Stallman, but a week ago I finally got to watch a full interview with him.
He's arrogant, autistic prick who constantly spouts logical fallacies and has zero respect for anyone but himself.
Not an argument for using Linux or Windows, but the fact that Stallman is a sperg made me so sad for some reason.
Torvalds is way more interesting and cool than him.

>Because Microsoft doesn't target the education market, right?
for a long time they didn't, until the surface

>Because it's superior.
maybe if you're a low-level pencil pusher, there's a reason all the high tech companies use GNU/Linux or BSD

>muh printer stopped working and I'm too much of a brainlet to fix it so fuck micro$oft
Pathetic.

I'm pretty sure that is 100% HP just being a shit-tier company. Windows will barely give them the time of day.

I am not saying you shouldn't have to pay for said 0s and 1s. But that the manufacturer now has rights to control users with their product is inherently wrong on so many fundamental levels.

Natural markets wouldn't allow for this to happen. Screwing over customers is 'bad' business. Not good business. Somehow they are able to maintain an unnatural unsustainable business model.

All I'm saying is: If you are paying for 0s and 1s... expect that you do not get controlled by the 0s and 1s. It's like the sandwich guy making you puke up your sandwich you paid for because of a terms of service that you must also have a sandwich with a tomato. You don't have a choice to take the sandwich without the tomato and you must vomit the sandwich.

Who would buy a sandwich from this sociopath sandwich maker?

Could not agree more desu.
I use Void with musl and compile stuff with clang instead of gcc and use zsh instead of bash. I really want that egotistical prick to die along with his fucking abhorrent fanbase of cucks

>uninstall printer drivers.
>go to manufacturers site to redownload drivers.
>Drivers for Windows 10 disappeared from 2 days ago.
>Revert Windows update which then causes the printer to work.
>Microsoft performs update anyway.
>Printer stops working
>Printer states it is not compatible with Windows 10
>Yet it works. It was working until a windows update kills it
>Try to reinstall Windows 8 version and Windows 7 version, doesn't work
>Have to tell client he has to buy a new printer.

Running a linux computer.
>connect to printer. Fuck the manufacturers website.
>Immediately connect.
>It prints.

Oh.

This, the best part of microsoft is the ease and spelling out what was wrong. If I ever got pissed at it, I would just mutter 'thanks Balmer" and move on. Now that loo deficient nadala is in there, I like to set up backgrounds and text messages of my distaste for poor layouts, ill advised templates, curryfolk and their CEOs all over my screen. I then call in layer 8 errors to the call center and select record the call so that all of my hate mail actually makes it to some editor or training auditor.

>I just want a sandwich.
Chromebook

>I want an overpriced panninni because it's trendy
Mac

>I want (subway, firehouse, jersey mikes)
Microsoft

>I want to make my own sandwich
Linux

Win10 is literally the most universal platform for development.

Can reproduce this exact experience in Switzerland at a university.

Compare to Linux where your printer wouldn't even ever work to begin with.
>for a long time they didn't, until the surface
You must be either trolling or just really young and stupid. In the 80's and 90's, Microsoft did everything within their power to make sure every computer out there in a school was an IBM PC running Windows.

I mean, at this point I can even tell you've never even gone to college, because every single university out there has a DreamSpark subscription so students can get free licenses.

You're completely clueless about everything.

>maybe if you're a low-level pencil pusher
Or a data analyst. Or a sound producer. Or a technical drafter. Or a graphics designer. Or a CPA. Or a software developer. Or pretty much anything, everybody out there uses Windows, even if just because every software required to perform all these tasks is Windows-only (because Windows is more developer-friendly - so, anyway, thanks to Windows' superiority).

>there's a reason all the high tech companies use GNU/Linux or BSD
Now you've contradicted yourself. The origin of our argument (see ) is about whether Microsoft has a monopoly or not. If you're arguing that a lot of people out there use alternatives, then how come can you be right about Microsoft having a monopoly? Make up your goddamn mind!

But who uses your meme hobbyist toy OSes? Not Cisco, or HP, or SAP, or Accenture. I've worked in all of those companies and I can tell you all of them use either Windows or commercial Unix (which proves my original point, i.e. that Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly). So basically, you're wrong on all counts.

Tune your fallacies, your intellectual dishonesty and your cognitive dissonance down because you've been exposed. Also, get your facts straight.

>I want (subway, firehouse, jersey mikes)
Microsoft

>So you get your Subway, Firehouse, and Jersey Mikes
>These companies adopt the use of 'white' bread, provolone cheese, lettuce, and bacon
>Now the only way you can have white bread, provolone cheese, lettuce, and bacon is to go through these companies
>Other companies try to compete by making 'like' substances but cannot compete as they took over the industry
>Everyone supports Subway, Firehouse, Jersey Mikes because they have the best stuff
>They get treated like kings for their horrible business practices forever

>IE File types and encoding structures owned by Microsoft hiding software so they can control users and the market.

Clearly by your post you haven't used a linux distro to install a printer. You realize it's radically easy to install right? Like, way way easier than Windows.

EBEMTI MAIJKO
THATS CANCER LAST STAGE

>Opens printer manager in linux mint
>clicks the plus button
>locates printer
>Hit Forward
>it installs
>Prints test page.

Huh. Really makes you think.

>what is selinux?

google.com/search?q=paperweight site:openprinting.org

you don't need drivers. it will automatically install with Linux repositories.

>be given a list of printers categorized as "paperweights" by the very Linux Foundation
>double down
You're just plain dumb.

>Microsoft did everything within their power to make sure every computer out there in a school was an IBM PC running Windows.
and they did a bad job, it's also not the 90s anymore, many schools still have labs full of macs, if they're a primary/secondary school they have chromeOS, or if they have any kind of respectable CS department they'll have a unix/linux lab, this is like the one place where msft ironically doesn't have a good foothold anymore, but it's still not enough to displace their monopoly in almost all other areas of society

>Or a data analyst. Or a sound producer. Or a technical drafter. Or a graphics designer. Or a CPA. Or a software developer.
these are all low level scrub jobs

>If you're arguing that a lot of people out there use alternatives
we do, but we're clearly the minority

>You're completely clueless about everything.
>Make up your goddamn mind!
>So basically, you're wrong on all counts.
>Tune your fallacies, your intellectual dishonesty and your cognitive dissonance down because you've been exposed. Also, get your facts straight.
sure is a lot of posturing and trash-talking for a guy like yourself who is getting paid pennies an hour to shill for corporate meme software on a burmese goat farming forum

Stopped reading at
>these are all low level scrub jobs
Gave away you're a troll too easily. Be more subtle next time.

>Stallman
Reading skills: 0/0. I haven't mentioned Stallman in my post.
IE 6 was the leader, thanks to EEE policy, and it was cancer.

>thanks to EEE policy
Circular argument.
>haven't mentioned Stallman
But I have. He EEE'd the C language. You can't compile Linux with any compiler but his. How is that not vendor lock-in?

Fuck off with your double standards, faggot.

forcing stuff on win 10 that users never wanted

this

botnet, schizo UI, complete disrespect for the user (fuck you, you update when I tell you to), low performance, shitty filesystem they refuse to let go of, attempting to use UEFI to force everyone to only use windows

The worst thing is that W10 is very quickly heading towards "OS as a service". That's just repulsive.

>Low performance, no manual pages with DETAILED info about software. Doesnt tell you how your PC works (at low soft level). If you have a virus, format and reinstall. Blue screen of death. You need to reboot after update (and wait 1 month to end it).
Microsoft.

PD: Look at that RAM usage baby. Linux.

At around 30% marketshare?

Windows 10 is a mess, one step forwards and like four back. They also have a history of questionable business practices but those have largely dried up in the 20-ish years since they were a hot topic. They're hardly beyond saving though. Clean up the mess that is the current NT kernel, release a Windows '21 or whatever that has an actual locked down and finished featureset with the ability to not be spied on and they're basically golden.

Oh and I forgot mobile, so it comes down to not even 15%

Can confirm it's any average CS lecture here too
>Boston area uni

dude upgrade your stupid memes.

github.com/Microsoft

save this thread, there is not gonna be a windows 10, the next OS is going to be an open source linux like OS everything using .NET, powershell, ELF support and they gonna release the source code of Edge

Google itvision altervista org.

He has a blog about everything wrong with M$ and Linux.

Blender used to be proprietary, however. Was it better then and why did it suddenly stop being good?

"jailbait" is another one

There is work going on to compile Linux with clang. Linux also requires software such as Perl to compile, though - is that okay? Is this kind of vendor lock-in okay?

More importantly, GNU has EEE'd the C standard library. Just ask the musl developers about how many programs fail to compile, or even crash in subtle ways, due to relying on glibcisms.

I used to be a big fan of Microsoft. Then they took everything shitty about Apple and doubled down on it.

>citations needed for windows arbitrarily changing your data
How about how you can't turn off Windows Defender or updates without them "helpfully" turning it back on for you?

mediashift.org/2011/07/why-missouri-j-school-should-rescind-its-apple-laptop-requirement206/

Because Microsoft more or less tells OEMs, officially or unofficially, that if they start shipping any other OS, they'll drop or drastically negatively change their licensing terms to be less favorable. This and government collusion, not superiority, created Microsoft as the company they are today.

Even outside of the free realm, commercial Linux, which in the form of Android now runs the majority of devices in the world, couldn't have been done earlier? Do you seriously think HP or Compaq, etc, couldn't have shipped a computer with their own Linux distros, own apps, marketplace, etc? What about IBM and OS/2? (Not Linux, but could have been a very competitive OS...) There were even brief attempts at this in the early 2000s with Lindows (sued out of existence by m$oft.) Only because of threats and collusion did this not take place, and this stifled innovation to the point of desktop/laptop computer irrelevance to the average person. They think PCs suck and are slow, why? Because of bloated Microsoft shit, and the ease of virus infection inherent to the Windows platform. So it took two companies possibly evil and maniacal than Microsoft to bring the Linux/Unix kernel to the average person and give them relative system stability.

tl;dr, winshit basically has killed the entire x86 architecture and platform of PCs itself because Microsoft and Intel had short term greed. And this is why in 2018 we have "What's a computer?"

what is it about windows users that makes them automatically think they somehow know what using linux is like when they've never used linux?

>sued out of existence by m$oft
when did this happen?

go to bed Foxworth, it's your fault you're too dumb to adapt to new software.

POO

botnet

cracks me up every time

>deleted
looks like the java script janitor is online

Are you two able to muster up a coherent sentence without buzzwords and nonsense meme-speak?

>botnet
>non-meme argument

Dude, there so much wrong with microsoft I don't even know where to start.

Read this:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

No it doesn't.

>never used gahnoo/linux - the post

but you can if you're running pro+

NSA

Dont forget when the updates break and the machine gets stuck in a boot loop and you have to pay a professional to fix it, or do a full sys rebuild, or ask Micrococks tech support for help (They will always copy paste responses and not even read your post) or figure it out yourself (kiss 'muh productivity' goodbye). And pay through the ass for it all. So funny looking back. Glad I came to the new and superior antelopes/crazyperson OS

Stallman is incredibly autistic and can easily come out as a dick sometimes, that is undeniable.
However, if there is so much FLOSS around these days, it's thanks to him. He is the one who conceived the idea of free-as-in-freedom software, and although the quality itself of a lot of GNU software is inferior to alternatives (see musl, clang), you can't deny that the GNU project is responsible for spreading the idea that software can and should be free.

Just because he is a dick as a person doesn't mean you can't agree with him on technical matters.

Too many women, must be some graphics design class where the idiot lecturing is all 'professionals use macs, that's why I never became one'.

nobody uses selinux that didn't choose to turn it on

Fell for the install gentoo meme, then tried to kill themselves: The post.

SELinux comes enabled by default on several distros.

nothing really, i find their software useful occasionally. i like VScode in particular, it's my favourite text editor and windows is all well and good for running games and the office suites but i don't particuarly enjoy using it. i have linux set up exactly the way i want it for most of what i do which is just recreational programming, running vm's, web browsing, music etc and i don't run into the same frustrations i do when using windows. linux just makes my life easier ironically, maybe i'm just too used to it and my little creature comforts have spoiled me.
>inb4 just use libreoffice
libreoffice sucks

windows 8 was where i checked out

Actually not really much, it's a decent company with decent products. I like their keyboards a lot. OS - not much, I use Linux, does the same thing but is made by The People instead of The Man.

>botnet
>meme
OK kid.

Go with tomoyo, made by the Japanese

Because it's a fucking botnet. Sorry you think that's a "meme" answer, kiddo, but it's just one of many valid reasons to stay away from their products.

He's not a troll, he just got completely and utterly blown the fuck out by some other autistic faggot and now he's desperately flailing around trying to say anything that might make him look like less of a retard.

>Open print manager
>Click on plus
>Add printer
>Drivers are not supported
>Format partition
>Install windows 10
>Open print manager
>Add printer
>It just werks™
s m h

Their products are poor loser tier.
You pay a decent amount of money for windows 10 and in stead of getting a product that's made to service you, you get an adware/spyware OS that's designed to screw you and milk you as much as it can. Windows fans can come back now and say the built-in ad services and commercial telemetry can be turned off but that's not an excuse. Nobody needs those things or want them to be on ever. It's just there because they know people will be too stupid to turn it off. And even if you know what you're doing and spend some serious time changing the hostile settings they'll still use your CPU power for privacy invading bs you never asked for.

Microsoft makes you pay them like a customer but treats you like their shittiest product. No excuses or pretty words for this literal botnet.

Not much honestly. I'm sure it does siphon your data, but I'm less concerned about that than I used to be. I don't browse Sup Forums or look at any NSFW material on Windows.

The thing about Windows is that it's the only OS that you can utilize a bunch of GTX1080's efficiently on. If you want to run fast video games, or have a great dual monitor setup, it's a pretty great OS.

I don't think it will hold that title for long, though. I noticed that web application development is more or less exactly the same on Windows and Linux based machines. I would definitely go for Linux in the app development case, unless you have to use conference software or other proprietary apps.

That's the reason you try your best to make non-GNU/Linux more popular. Stallman and the FSF are cancer. Literally cancer.