/advanced/

Thread for those who...

a) have been listening to music seriously for 5+ years
b) want to discuss music that isn't Sup Forumscore, p4k BNM, and the same old

This thread is not meant to be pretentious, its just some of us aren't always able to discuss our favourite albums, especially when they are ignored in favor of more popular, buzzy releases. No general essentials or latest hype albums allowed. Do not troll or derail the thread with off-topic discussion.

What music have you been enjoying lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d27gTrPPAyk
youtube.com/watch?v=pw0pShHEcQc
youtube.com/watch?v=oEVKk8IhoLY
youtube.com/watch?v=4Ms7NeWzRK0
youtube.com/watch?v=36y0MW_kZVY
youtube.com/watch?v=GEXVy9hr3vc
rateyourmusic.com/list/thecornbreadhour/nurse_with_wound_list/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=ADnHzAu0j08
youtube.com/user/pupsibaerle1
youtube.com/watch?v=IigSz0qzXjc
rateyourmusic.com/collection/King_Insano/reviews,ss.rd
youtube.com/watch?v=8rdvCBFXlLE
youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/blo/chapter_one/buy/
youtube.com/watch?v=aRH5I1zetbE
youtube.com/watch?v=xuQNt45Cjkc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

haha oh wow

death grips

POSEUR ALERT

POSEUR ALERT

POSEUR ALERT

lol

OP I think you're being pretty condescending but I kind of get it. I want to talk about psychedelic funk from Africa, but I feel like that's too specific for most anons.

I actually listened to that album recently, got it from a sharethread, didn't really care for it. I'd give it a 5/10.

I can't remember if this was the same pasta that this thread was originally started with however long ago when the first one was made but while I think it's stupid the few threads it spawned were pretty good. Glad to see it back.

Not sure if pic related was rated by P4K at some point (as in I'm not sure if it counts for this thread) but it's one of my favorite releases of this year and I've only seen it mentioned on here a few times. It's a synthpop album by a classically trained musician.

>tfw will never meet a single other person who has listened to this album, much less the 30+ times I must have listened to it all the way through

Olivia Tremor Control wasn't even an 'underground' band, they were relatively well known

Although I wasn't the person who originally wrote the OP pasta, I tried to make it less elitist but I guess that sort of thing is impossible

As for African funk, this album is really good

What do my fellow patricians think about these?
Jan Jelinek - Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records
Dave Brubeck - Truth is Fallen
Lucia Hwong - House of Sleeping Beauties

I didn't want this to be a patrician-only thread I just wanted to discuss records that I can't with separate threads (because they archive before anyone even replies)

I'll have to edit the thread name and pasta even more then

Cool, thanks for the rec

It's not really an album, more like a small collection of singles/eps.

Not him but the person who made the original thread ''advanced music'' for that very reason and after all the butthurt, it just got ruined by the weebteam spamming their obscure RYM crap.

I've tried many times in many guises for threads about less popular genres with and without provocation but the only times there ever seems to be discussion is in the tapmusic threads with the same 10 people, otherwise it just dies and derails.

It would be wonderful to see diversity on the board but you just have to face it that unless its on an essentials or popular with certain reviewers, there is lots of music styles and genres which will just not gain traction in threads on their own or like this, but I will contribute in a minute, you never know.

there is nothing wrong with being a poser

Jan is so fucking comfy
6/10

Hey glad someone else likes it! was kinda surprised it got BNM from P4k but then I saw Laura Snapes reviewed it...so it's because she's a woman that she got it

I like the record, I just don't like the more mainstream pop that it takes from

but the instrumentals are amazing

>for that very reason
Yeah I was aware, and I was also aware of how anti-elitist Sup Forums became after those threads stopped popping up, so I tried making it seem more like a general instead of a thread for "patricians" only

Generals are a good way to avoid shitposting and get more diversity since it's not a single thread dedicated to only one album that not everyone's probably heard before

im not sure if i heard that one, but I remember loving dusk at cubists castle ages ago.

thanks for reminding me of them, I'm gonna re listen!

What do you guys think of Cluster? I normally just listen on Spotify but I see some of their stuff isn't on there. Only heard about them from P4k's review of the boxset but I'm interested, love Krautrock.

This is as good as any a place for this I guess, has anyone listened to pictured? I desperately need more like it, something that rides the edge of Krautrock/Jazzy/Psychrock really well. Suggestions?

I vehemently detest the retarded pleb/patrician idiocy but I am sure CLT is still amused by his influence and legacy. It was never my intention for the thread to be like that, just a ''general'' /general/ for artists and genres that in threads on their own would 404.

This also in itself holds the same problem as /trad/ threads as they are both open to such a huge plethora of musical styles that you still can't be sure you will be able to chat about music you enjoy within these with other people with similar tastes but always worth trying.

guys this thread is a great idea don't worry

kys

kraut is the only good rock

I like Sting.

youtube.com/watch?v=d27gTrPPAyk

Anyone else like Sting?

desu you kinda have a point there

South/latin American rock needs to be discussed more. Anyone know La Vida Boheme around here?

Anybody really into SpaceGhostPurrp?

what happened to the Latin generals?

>>>/hhg/

Damn fuckin straight.

youtube.com/watch?v=pw0pShHEcQc

I like him in Lock, Stock.

Blvcklvnd Rvdix is great, really strange too

>missing the whole point of the thread

No you fucking dunce I mean REALLY into spaceghostpurrp. He has a ton of really obscure and weird shit that isnt run of the mill.

But you can start a thread or post in a hip hop general and garner many replies, there are entire genres that are ignored on this board.

Yea man i get your point and just started typing out a new thread. imma delete the comment cause its gonna start a flamewar and i dont want it to ruin this thread i was enjoying

I like him a lot, Mysterious Phonk is one of my favorite rap albums of the 2010s. Enough great production to elevate him over a lot of the "let's just ape 90s memphis shit" that surrounded him in Raider Klan. lyrically is just ok but he has great ear for samples

youtube.com/watch?v=oEVKk8IhoLY

>Mfw there are other people aside of me that like La Vida Boheme
I saw them in concert here in Caracas and fuck me one of The best live performances. They Really get into it.
Favorite album? Favorite song? Excited for Domingo?

youtube.com/watch?v=4Ms7NeWzRK0

I appreciate you are more into him than the average fan but the main point of the threads was to provide a platform the smorgasbord of music that is never discussed, at all.

Although its probably in vain anyway and doubt it will really take off as hoped.

Do you like Major Organ? I always see parallels drawn between the two, even if Major Organ is more soundscape-y.

I love this song, too bad everything else they did is bad.

Anyways, anybody ever listen to charles mansons stuff?

youtube.com/watch?v=36y0MW_kZVY

youtube.com/watch?v=GEXVy9hr3vc

>I love this song, too bad everything else they did is bad.
I agree to disagree. I'm digging their vibe and lore also Corn Red Moon and Dusk are some fantastic songs

Have any of you guys gone through the Nurse With Wound list? I've been through almost half so far and found some great stuff.
rateyourmusic.com/list/thecornbreadhour/nurse_with_wound_list/1/

that album is on the NWW list, check out stuff from it maybe?

He has some good stuff, that song is pretty good.
I like this album:
youtube.com/watch?v=ADnHzAu0j08

I don't live in Venezuela(though I am Venezuelan myself), and I missed them when they came around to Chicago. I regret it so much. Sera is probably the album that I heard most. I am ecstatic for the new album. I hope someone like Pitchfork or Fantano reviews them JUST so they can get more exposure around here.

It's a shame they won't ever really be recognized, their lyrics are amazing.

Any other bands like them. A friend from Venezuela tried suggesting viniloversus, but it just left a "eh" feeling in comparison. It was basically Spanish Artic Monkeys.

Yea man I hear ya. I am definitely insanely into all his shit. Deleted that comment and posted some charles manson. I wonder if anyone else knows some good unknown charles manson songs because I could only find a compilation album.

Those are nice too, but I feel that everything lined up perfectly in Burdensome Blood and it won't happen again. Their albums are pretty challenging to sit through whole.
That being said, I've only heard I'm Armed With Quarts of Blood, Wine Can't Do It, and Rise of the Common Woodpile.
The lore definitely is interesting, they seem to be a more pagan and psychedelics-fueled version of The Residents.

Im also exploring some old folk music as well as some supposed ancient music.

youtube.com/user/pupsibaerle1

youtube.com/watch?v=IigSz0qzXjc

>Their lyrics are amazing
This so much man. I always have a hars time deciding between the 2 but yeah i've listened to Será more. Fucking love El Futuro Funciona, Really great Residents vibe. When i saw them live they played 2 new songs. Basically the new album goes like this
>Continues the Sera vibe, but this time they being back a lot of the energy from Nuestra
>Catchy as fuck but unique as always
>More diverse lyrics, or maybe they reached their Lyrical pinnacle since now they either don't talk about the government or do it Really subtle
>More Venezuelan folk music influence

Their background is really confusing but to make it short they're suppose some sort of tribute band to a singing bull from the 1800s called Caroliner. Lot of their songs are the point of view of low-IQ, religious, insane frontiersmen of the west. Their music starts making a lot of sense.

hype hype hype hype hype!!!!!!

Anything else from South America/Venezuela/foreign(hell, anything) that compares to them?

In general, not specifically relating to their style, but any good Venezuelan music? I moved away from Venezuela when I was 11, and I almost have nothing that ties me there besides La Vida Boheme and my cuatro. Good albums? I recently found out about arca, but haven't listened to him

>Kid 606
>Arca and his Side projects
>Dermis tatu might be a nice listen
>Los Mesoneros when they actually try to make good music
>Canserbero is fucking amazing, same as Akapella
>Obviously Simón Diaz

I know LITERALLY the perfect RYM profile for you to go through (not mine)
rateyourmusic.com/collection/King_Insano/reviews,ss.rd
As someone who also loves music on the krautrock/fusion/psych spectrum, this dude's reviews are invaluable.

youtube.com/watch?v=8rdvCBFXlLE

youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4

literally listening to them right now, I'm also planning on sharing a lot of contemporary latin releases that I have gathered from bands like vida boheme, mueran humanos, el mato a un policia motorizado, juana molina, but do you have more recommendations of great bands now in latin america?

I made those but at some point they didn't answer anymore or they would talk about the same spinetta, caifanes, os mutantes albums instead of more recent stuff

/advanced/ is a JOKE in the patrician scene

heard this my man?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/blo/chapter_one/buy/

wishlisted

also hazy, lo-fi, velvet ripoff rock is good too

Maybe call it something different then? I mean, it's just supposed to be a place to discuss music where it would not get responses as a topic. Maybe /niche/? /nonmucore/?

Anyone else check out the new Gerogerigegege album? A lot different than their earlier stuff but still really good, couldn't into TAD so this was a nice change IMO

Keep your shitty meme music out of /advanced/.

Was it memed? I know their earlier stuff is memed hard here but this one was pretty good, haven't even seen it posted here.

Fuck off, this thread is about discussion not elitism for no reason

how about /rymdaycare/

Do you have the pasta for the Latin general? Sup Forums needs as many threads to diversify the album talk. I love Sup Forumscore, but shitposting about them bores me.

What about any Hindustani Classical stuff? Listened to this and I loved it, anything similar? Love me some sitar improv

Anyone heard Kedr Livansky's album/EP? I heard one of the songs on SiriusXMU's blog radio and she's pretty cool I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=aRH5I1zetbE

I like Hindustani and Carnatic stuff a decent amount. Kind of hard to find some stuff though. There's a few blogs that are nice for it though. Flat, Black, and Classical and Oriental Traditional Music from LPs & Cassettes. They're both Blogspot pages.

Also one of my favorites came out last year and I found it on What.cd during freeleech it's Debashish Bhattacharya - Slide Guitar Ragas from Dusk Till Dawn. I also liked something called Pakistani Soul Session.

jan is ok

love.

i also like the side solo stuff

Is this the thread where we discuss how autotune didn't ruin pop music and how the only bad genres out there are Nashville Country/Local Radio Station Hip-Hop?

This is helpful, thanks a bunch

Thanks man, I'll check them out

Does anyone like Pere Ubu? I got turned onto their discography recently and think their first three albums are among the best I've ever heard.

Oh it's THIS thread again.

You know, this thread is the sole reason why I shitpost

Discuss this chart

name one thing wrong with poseur-core

-Elitism.
-This thread
-objectivity vs. Subjectivity in music

I find it funny you all think you can't discuss music without a damn general to show off the fact that you listen to music I could literally listen to right now and do.
Stop putting fucking labels on music and just enjoy it.
Poseurcore is not a label on the music, it's a label on the 1% of the people who act like they are superior because they listen to more underground music and its fucking bullshit.
It really is.
It makes people pretencious and it makes them seem like people concerned more about the image of music than the sounds itself.

Ignore Montie

What's your favorite Laurie Anderson album

preferably other than Big Science

OTC is fucking great

Good album.

Thank god. Patricians are not posers. Poseurs are the idiots of your scene. My side has poptimists

see
This thread is for musical discussion whether the albums are "poseur" or not, and ironically it's only people like you who are trying to derail the thread. The fact that you think it was only made to show off is childish as fuck.

I dislike elitists but I dislike people like you even more.

What about Glenn Branca? What's your favorite Branca album/piece?

You don't need a fucking general to discuss music and tag it as /advanced/ that makes YOU seem better than everyone else on this board.
Who gives a fucking shit how long or what kind of music you listen to?
Nobody. This thread serves as a potential breeding ground for something Sup Forums needs less of not more of.
I know I shitpost a lot but I am dead serious when I talk about this.
This General has the potential to spread pretenciousness.

>You don't need a fucking general to discuss music and tag it as /advanced/ that makes YOU seem better than everyone else on this board.
Have you been on this board longer than a year?
Oh wait you haven't

i enjoy the works of derek baily, giacinto scelsi... the list could go on.

Reposting this because this is my problem with the name of this general
Than at LEAST change the name of your General to /underground/ or /deep/.
I have no problem with discussing lesser known music, but /advanced/ is almost like a clickbait title and it should be fixed. Not even joking. I think you have a good idea but at least practice it better

>heard this my man?

I have not, I'll check it out, Thanks!

I'm a lady, tho.

Montie, please respect other's decision when it comes to what they want or do not want to discuss.
Some music is indeed more difficult to talk about on Sup Forums, do that's why this thread exists.
You are literally shit posting and derailing this thread right now, so would you please be kind to stop doing that?
Seriously, it's nothing against you, we just want to have some good music discussion but you won't let us.

Scelsi's pretty good actually.
I'm not the OP btw, /advanced/ at least gives the rest of Sup Forums an impression that they do need to step it up, which they do.

️I understand that some music is more difficult to talk about here. I understnsd now the reasoning for this general.
What I do not understand is why the hell you call it /advanced/ and not /deep/ or /underground/

/advanced/ is just such a shitty label.

youre upset about Sup Forums being Sup Forums on fucking Sup Forums
you shouldn't be her
seriously

Gasoline - Diesel Ride

1) I didn't create the name for this general
2) It literally says in the OP that this thread isn't supposed to be elitist and only exists to talk about music you wouldn't be able to otherwise with a separate thread. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill with this whole "trying to act better than everyone else" thing

If it means you not shitting up the thread anymore, I sure will

Because obviously there's nothing different in musical understanding between a person who appreciates non-Sup Forumscore and people who think AMSP is 10/10.
Of course.

This is the problem. This is exactly what I am talking about.
Nobody needs to step up fucking anything. Let people listen to what they want to listen to and don't act like you are fucking superior because you happen to listen to music with less than 300 ratings on RYM. It's stupid, it's wrong, and it promotes nothing at all.
If you want people to listen to different music-suggest it to them and don't act like they have to change their ways. That ruins music for people.
There is plenty you can do without being a poseur and without acting like a superior idiot.
I am no more superior than anyone in this thread.

>What I do not understand is why the hell you call it /advanced/ and not /deep/ or /underground/
youtube.com/watch?v=xuQNt45Cjkc

You can appreciate non-Sup Forumscore and not be a fucking dick about it