ITT: Opinions that will get you fucking SLAUGHTERED on Sup Forums

ITT: Opinions that will get you fucking SLAUGHTERED on Sup Forums

I listen to music for enjoyment

Is this a new meme? I'm glad I know it fucking well enough to re-post the fucking living shit out of it.

i just gave that velvet banana album a 1.5 on RYM

Radiohead are ok

Radiohead is incredibly overrated

Melvins are better than Boris

The Red Velvet & Nick has aged terribly

There is nothing wrong with listening to early Nickelback.

i like death grips

Every time I look at this photograph it makes me laugh

6/10

That new Stone Roses single was great. Showing the youngsters how it's done!

ok.
Music is 100% entertainment, and therefore taste cannot be measured.

I love Kygo, his debut album was released on friday and i liked it way more than Coloring Book

I use Spotify and listen to playlists

Unironically and I know it has turned into a meme at this point but I i believe they are the best artists of our generation and will be more influential than VU

teen suicide is a good band.

Car Seat Headrest being viralled isn't a joke. Will is legit viralling and samefagging.

lol now that I write this it looks like I'm some guy from teen suicide trying to steal listeners from CSH saying they are both from Bandcamp

Who?

I think generals are not cancer, and should be allowed on this board.

kill yourself

I feel certain generals are not bad, so long as the focus of it is on a specific style of music (emphasis on the music). With things like the Kpop general, or the waifu threads in general, to me it feels like they deserve their own board, rather than have them here.

Fantano>Cal

Music is 100% subjective and people in this board are really immature about it, being proud of you taste and seriously belittling others because of theirs is absolutely pathetic, terms like "pleb" and "patrician". People in this board need to just listen to what makes them feel good, they're building up unnecessary anxiety by worrying about how patrician their music/music player/headphones/opinions are

im btw

Scaruffi is wrong about the Beatles.

I only listen to metal and dislike Radiohead

I like wankery

90% of the people on this board are posers who use music as a fashion statement rather than having a legitimate interest.

And the thing is the people I'm talking about are the most likely to think that they agree with what I just said.

Who the fucks thinks generals are bad? Seriously?

Scarruffi originally became a meme when people ironically posted the pasta. I really hope that nobody takes it seriously.

Radiohead and dead grips are shit and only entitled faggots don't notice that

listening to obscure music doesn't make you a better person than people who listen to chart music

The newest Radiohead album is avant garde trash that people have tricked themselves into accepting.

I like the Sup Forumscore albums
Also
I don't like the Sup Forumscore albums

Second Coming is pretty great! Maybe even better than self titled!

>Radiohead and dead grips are shit
This is an opinion
>and only entitled faggots don't notice that
This is called being wrong

Death Grips is absolute shit, it's not rap!!!

I was, in fact, born in the wrong generation.

People wouldn't meme so hard about hip hop being "not music" if Sup Forums didn't insist on having objectively awful taste and treating intentionally bad artists seriously like some sort of thought experiment.

>amsp
>avant garde

jesus

Trout Mask Replica is fucking wank.

I sometimes listen to Hollister-core house music at the gym
Robin Schulz, the list goes on

Of fucking course it's a opinion, this is a opinion thread

But at least we both agree that those entitled faggots are wrong

none of these are that controversial, even for Sup Forums

I'm surprised that Sup Forumstants don't find Cal real fucking annoying

Second Coming actually was pretty good desu. Better than it's credited as being.

Oh I agree. I actually did prefer it to the self titled for a while. Though my introduction to Stone Roses was Second Coming so that kind of warped my perception for a bit.

Rap is a genre

>I agree with Neal Peart's views on government centralization and regulation

I like unty

I listen to stand alone songs instead of full albums

who's the one of the bottom right?

Them bois
El Twink

I llke this board, I like all the memes, I like you all.

Arca
he's a qt

Bland, boring proto-indie rock.

>inb4 muh influential

The Piper At the Gates of Dawn might not be quite as good as people say it is, and when you pan out, Syd Barret's association with Pink Floyd seems a bit absurd...but it's great, though.

Andy Warhol's exibit was the worst part of MoMA and 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Why the fuck do people like him so much?

Sung Tongs is to Feels what Fragile is to Close to the Edge.

I think pre-Blurryface Twenty One Pilots is good.

sorry.

i think all twenty one pilots is good

Sup Forums doesn't do any research on music that they hate on, so it's unfortunate that an opinion like that would get you slaughtered. i find them more than tolerable at that point in their career, and even old and picky Scaruffi agrees. blurryface is pop shite though

Rap is all shit

People somewhat mentioned this, but while I don't think they are bad, I feel Radiohead is such a safe choice of favorite for the average "I am really into good music" fan. They put a lot of aspects of many different types of other music into their own music, but as a result there is very little exploration of ideas since their music is more about having said ideas than exploring them. Sure Radiohead are still worth listening to because they do this idea far better than...say...Opeth, but it becomes a quantity over quality thing at that point. As a result, Radiohead are the radio pop music equivalent for the "I really love music guys" person.

blackgaze > blackmetal

This rustles my feathers.

>G Herbo is the Tupac of our generation
>Lil Ugly Mane is the most important artist of the last five years
>Noise is not music. I don't mean that it doesn't take a lot of work or that people don't put time into it, it can even be an art of its own for all I care, but it doesn't share any of the core properties with music except that it's made up out of sounds.
>PC Music is great and doesn't need the narrative to stand on it's own merit
>Grimes a qt and very talented artist, but she wants to be famous and knows the only way to get there is to make stuff like art angels
>bottomless pit is the only sub-8/10 DG record
>Silhouette of a Sunkken City is rap AOTY so far
>chance the rapper sucks
>bonobo is one of the most patrician artists of all time, and also one of the most pleb artists of all time
>liquid DnB sounds great but is an obscenely easy genre to produce
>early vaporwave is fantastic
>david bowie wasn't so great, I can't even listen to a song like Space Oddity without cringing
>classical mass chant is the best genre there has ever been, and probably ever will be
>mongolian throat singing is a close second though
>emo is the best "guitar music" genre

Madvillain is one of the worst DOOM projects, and is a boring mess.

The thing is, this criticism is coming from the perspective that the criterion by which we judge a band should be how forward-thinking their music is, as opposed to how they're able to use ideas that are already floating around to craft good songs.

Yeah this is the reason Radiohead are my go-to answer whenever anyone asks my favorite band. My second reason is I think it's dumb to have one single favorite band, so it's easier to just say "Radiohead" rather than say anything potentially edgy or whatever

Brand New is shit

ASAP Rocky is fun

Strawberry Jam was AnCo's last good album

Philip Glass is pretty good.

Kendrick is shit.

I prefer listening to 8-bit cover versions of my favorite songs than the originals

>mentioning Peart outside of his drumming
>positive opinion on Neal Peart
>Rush
Holy shit this is a trifecta of anti-Sup Forums opinions. Good job user.

queens of the stone age are fucking shit

>>david bowie wasn't so great, I can't even listen to a song like Space Oddity without cringing
Space Oddity was from before Bowie was even good. Try Warszawa

This man is not a god.

Because that's wrong, he is a god.

I prefer white rappers to black rappers. Ex, Atmosphere > Kendrick.

>Noise is not music. I don't mean that it doesn't take a lot of work or that people don't put time into it, it can even be an art of its own for all I care, but it doesn't share any of the core properties with music except that it's made up out of sounds.
I'm sorry, but this is objectively wrong. Music is self-expression in the form of sound manipulation, and noise fits into that category.

QOTSA are right in the middle. Half of Sup Forums seems to love them or at least consider them a guilty pleasure. The other half seems to hate them and consider them buttrock on the level of Nickelback.

But it's not even about being forward thinking though. It's about how much an artist does with the ideas presented to the listener.

For example Radiohead has a lot of tracks where string sections are used. Very cool sounding for sure, but aren't used to the potential we see from said sections in the western art music (classical music) that Radiohead's versions are inspired from.

Or having arrangements based on post-rock/minimalism but be nowhere near as in-depth and grand as either of those genres.

Radio pop music is where we see watered down, gimped variations of something potentially cool. While Radiohead does a much better job than radio pop music of using various ideas to push their vision, it still ends up running into the same problem of the ideas not being explored enough.

But at what point can we claim any sound becomes music? Is it simply because the creator of that sound wishes it to be so? If I say FUCK YOU DAVE GROHL twice in a row, the first time sincerely insulting Dave Grohl and the second time intending it to be a short song does that mean the second time I said FUCK YOU DAVE GROHL it was a song?

at least it's one big thread you can hide dude, if you ban them then i guarantee the floodgates of kpoop will open on us.

yes, who cares? it's a bad fucking song that says nothing about anything of substance, but it can be a song. no one gives a shit.

i kinda of somewhat dig on of my chemical romance's songs, maybe

>getting butthurt about dave grohl
You're wrong btw. Shouting random shit can't be a song. It's objectively wrong.

>some brostep was fun
>post DSOTM Pink Floyd is trash
>Led Zeppelin was mostly trash
>Yeezus is Kanye's best album
>Yung Lean is is all right
>White Stripes are shit
>Pearl Jam sucked
>Kendrick sucks

Nirvana are not overrated, they are perfectly rated.

I kind of want to hear your dav grohl song m8. soundcloud link?

>muh hate pop art but don't like classical art
>muh hate VU but don't like classical music or jazz

honestly the most cancer opinion possible, and if you have it, it 100% means you don't take music seriously as an art form and should stop having pretenses of discussing it as anything of more consequence than the last episode of The Big Bang Theory you probably gobbled up like a little piggy

>it's a bad fucking song that says nothing about anything of substance
The fact that you took time to point this out tells me you didn't understand my post user. I don't give a fuck about Dave Grohl.

The point is that just because someone calls a sound music doesn't make it so.

My buddy Dan could serve me fried cat shit and call it food but I'd tell him he's fucking wrong no matter how much he argued otherwise. Just like shouting FUCK YOU DAVE GROHL could never be anything other than a stupid insult.

well, it can be defined as a piece of music. a song, you'd have a harder time because song technically means melody of some kind under vocals. and i'm not butthurt about Dave Grohl. i'm just saying you could shout "Fuck the Police!" and if you had no production under it or wordplay around it, you'd have a song, but a boring one to my personal tastes. edgelords on Sup Forums like DG, though, so maybe they'd love a recording of you yelling that :)

You're wrong on pretty much every point. The strings in AMSP aren't used in as novel and interesting a way you'd see even in Jonny Greenwood's own compositions, but they're intended to play a supporting role, not become the album's reason for existing in themselves. But even then, I don't agree with the premise. Burn the Witch has some really interesting staccato chords that are almost used as a rhythm section, and become increasingly dissonant as the song ends. And have you only heard their latest album? 15 Step mixes an electronic and natural rhythm to create a song that's much more interesting than the beat-lead pop music its inspired by. The linear arpeggiation on Weird Fishes is far more engaging to me than most post-rock, a genre I despise. I mean, I lot of this has to do with taste and personal sensibilities.

Is this a new meme? I'm glad I know it fucking well enough to re-post the fucking living shit out of it.

the only reason you prioritize certain sounds as musical and others as not is because of presentation and historical context. just because you're a fucking philistine and don't have familiarity with the most recent historical context in this realm with the '50s and '60s avant-garde, letterists, etc. doesn't mean that you're suddenly right just because you feel like you're right. adults actually use historical examples and logic to support their positions, not gross-out analogies

>doesn't mean that you're suddenly right just because you feel like you're right.
But I know I'm right. And you shouldn't waste so much time telling me why I can't be right unless you're going to explain why I'm wrong.

three cheers used to be Sup Forumscore

that was short lived

>historical context.
As if the idea of calling random sounds music isn't a modern day idea.

honestly me too

>typing this out

okay, the only objective (that is, existing outside of your knee-jerk internal subjectivity) way of evaluating what is and isn't [thing] is through actual discourse. the discourse around music in the west has gradually moved the goal posts of what is and isn't music over time. you will never come to a firm, concrete definition of what music is that is meaningfully restrictive if you follow some of the assumptions that you do. for example, you have this random example of the Fuck Dave Grohl piece. you claim it doesn't have musical properties and isn't music just because you say it doesn't. this makes it seem to me that your criterion for being music is sounding like music, but this is a tautological and self-serving definition. it has no grounding in much of anything. you'll have to provide your definition of music further for us to deconstruct it, but you refuse to because you take your word as the word of God or something and don't think you need to have justification.

so i'll start with a definition of music, and you can tell me why it's wrong in your view. i believe, as do many others, following the innovations of arranged silences with John Cage, the incorporation and imitation of nature sounds of Messiaen, and the introduction of sound poetry and manipulation of spoken word to take on collage properties of the Letterists in France in the '50s, that we have thoroughly demolished the old restraining walls of what constituted music and did not. at this point, like other forms of conceptual art, i believe that music is in the presentation and reception. it's a dialogic process, so i guess this opens it up to people like you just refusing to take part, but the idea is that if a piece is presented/framed and received as music, it is music. some might even argue that you only need to present/frame OR receive (e.g. people like you walking past conceptual art and refusing to label it such wouldn't invalidate it OR... [cont.])