DRUMMERS

What are some drummers you must hear if you want to get inspired and bang away your own kit? Drummers with different approaches on how to play and stuff like that.

Pic related, John Stanier from Battles and Jojo Mayer are some guys that made me pick up drumming, whoelse should I be listening?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DCdSKag90
youtube.com/watch?v=qciRxrlTFGc
youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
youtube.com/watch?v=a8Kv1VBYbsY
youtube.com/watch?v=guCdR2jnkls
youtube.com/watch?v=XA0sNVueB78
youtube.com/watch?v=paZeslTSwBw
youtube.com/watch?v=cehlbQEE17A
youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM
youtube.com/watch?v=RmOR1I2Q-OI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chris Corsano is a madman. Really versatile in a free jazz idiom and he toured with bjork

m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DCdSKag90

Stewart Copeland
Mike Bordin

Ari Hoenig
Dan Weiss
Mark Guiliana
Larnell Lewis

good taste

should add:
Antonio Sanchez
Eric Harland
Jeff Watts

Greg Fox
Literally the best drummer out there.

Liturgy's drummer? He's a beast, indeed. Does anyone ever pay attention to anything apart from his drumming on Generation?
youtube.com/watch?v=qciRxrlTFGc

youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0

I honestly don't know how a human being can even do this.

only missing blade. good work, bros

was waiting for this

bill bruford

just practice single strokes forever. chris dave could do this and actually look like he's doing it on purpose

>I honestly don't know how a human being can even do this.
Nice bait, almost had me there.

george hurley and greg saunier

>greg saunier
fuck yeah dude.

Art Blakey. Art Blakey. Art fucking Blakey.

Also Jack DeJohnette, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Tony Allen, and Tom Bruno

Jaki of Can is also an unstoppable drumming giant

John "Drumbo" French is also GOAT

Ahead of you my dude.

Brendan Canty

jaki liebezeit and sara lund

That ain't Orgy in Rhythm my dude

Getting there, getting there. I admit I lack a lot of knowledge in jazz, I should explore it more since it's where drummers shine the brightest.

agreed with this, art blakey

also depends on what you're going for. I think Art Blakey is undeniable but it actually is still worth checking out someone like .

Also: John Stanier. Especially his stuff with Helmet.

Look up
Orgy in Rhythm
Safari with Sabu
Drums of Passion
Poly Currents
We Insist! Freedom Now Suite

And anything Tom Bruno. Dude is bizarre but recorded solo percussion albums in the subways of NYC. His work with avant free group TEST is sick too.

Check anything Elvin Jones did with John Coltrane.

Listen to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Like, every album.

Tony Williams with Miles Davis or Herbie Hancock. E.S.P. by Miles Davis and Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock are great examples.

Max Roach on Sonny Rollins or Clifford Brown albums are is great to.

He has a very unique style and I love it. Hes an amazing drummer and when I get my drumset Im going to be covering alot of his stuff

but this is terrible

I knew 5 drummers in high school who would do shit like this when they were 15

>I honestly don't know how a human being can even do this.

youtube.com/watch?v=a8Kv1VBYbsY

lol compare this to literally any performance by any of the jazz drummers mentioned in this thread and it is laughable

That was like the sloppiest shit ive ever seen

Memes aside Ringo Starr

Not the most technically talented I guess but he always made his drumming colourful and unique. His creativity and unpredictability with fills made his drumming as important to the sound of the Beatles as any of the other instruments. The best drummers stand out because they forge their own sound as well as keeping time. Topper Headon of The Clash is a great drummer too

I know trips don't lie, but I have never liked ringo's drumming. It was just very bland and it didn't seem like he evolved. That drum solo on "The End" is kind of depressing.

Keith Moon's drumming is the definition of "creativity and unpredictability"

I mostly agree with you but I would say that his style of drumming is a good place to start for aspiring drummers.

I got pretty good at drums and I started by mostly just drumming along with Beatles records and copying Ringo's simple but effective patterns and fills.

Watch Zach hill play, it's mostly endurance and precision but he's also very creative while playing like a madman, which is hard to find

the guy from the flaming lips is my patrician answer

youtube.com/watch?v=guCdR2jnkls

my real answer is Jimmy Chamberlin from Smashing Pumpkins

youtube.com/watch?v=XA0sNVueB78

Oh yeah, Ringo is definitely great to learn from. His drum patterns are always really clear.

Brann Dailor

Ringo is the shit. I love the drumming on Dear Prudence and Back in the USSR especially

Panda Bear, at least some of his stuff on Feels and STGSTV

maybe one day you guys can be as patrish as me

youtube.com/watch?v=paZeslTSwBw

Clem Burke from Blondie

It's alright but he's no Han Bennink

I like Philty Animal's drumming. Too bad hes dead now. I would have liked to fight him

Dave Lombardo from Slayer is the patrician choice for speed metal drumming

youtube.com/watch?v=cehlbQEE17A

The only problem is that Reign in Blood (his peak) songs come and go so fast. Speaking of speed metal drumming, Scott Travis on Painkiller sounds fucking awesome. That intro man. That fucking intro.
youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM

how has nobody pointed out that OP's pic is Brian Chippendale and not John Stanier yet?

drummers of Sup Forums, I'm disappointed in you

I actually listed three different drummers; hence the comma after "pic related".

>does not know sentence structure

Dave Turncrantz
youtube.com/watch?v=RmOR1I2Q-OI