I really like it but I wish I wasn't the only one

I really like it but I wish I wasn't the only one

I like it just not as much as their best work

don't worry i liked it too. not their best by a long shot but it's not as bad as people make it out to be

It's still my second favorite of theirs next to Centipede Hz.

9/10 for me

PITCHFORK 6.2

Ya basically this, sure it doesn't top albums like Feels or MPP but it still has its own charm and is a great standalone album

I like it. Far from their best, though

You're not the only one, it just went for a fun sound which is not what people would typically associate with anco. Edgy tryhards can't into it but it very well may be my AOTY so far.

>anco
>not fun
I don't know, they've always had a whimsical feel to me

I love it. 8/10.

I really like it too, big guy, don't worry.

What's everyone's favorite aspect of Painting With?

Did any of you catch them live yet? What'd you think?

I love the whimsical energy and the beats all go hard as fuck, especially live. It's such a pleasant, fun, lighthearted record. It's definitely not a masterpiece like people would say Spirit or Feels are, but it's a solid and creative and I love it for that. I'm always glad to see an artist go in a new direction instead of trying to pander to faggots who want more of the same.

I'm excited for what they do after this.

The hocketing.

Good discussion man.

For real, I think they did an incredible job with the vocal arrangements, but only when they put some sort of neat spin on the hocketing instead of Panda just parroting the same syllable back after Avey says it, like on Natural Selection. But on tracks like Hocus Pocus and Recycling I think the vocals are godtier

I love it! t's my third favorite album of theirs right behind Strawberry Jam and MPP

The only album of theirs I havent listened to yet.

Id have to say Sung Tongs is the best anco record but honestly Campfire and Spirit and the like cant even be put next to their modern stuff. Their old shit was embryoinic. I love it.

Itt: anco pr department

>AnCo are shills
that's a new one

Golden Gal was a pretty underwhelming track for me, but it was a whole thing live.

its AOTD and has a built in pleb filter.

The vocals on recycling do something really interesting when Avey's bit turns from hocketing into simply singing at a different rhythm. Feels like the vocals are being taken apart and rearranged.

You might not dig PW as much yet. This one is less meditative than the stuff you listed.

As long as you feel happy.

Wow a thread full of AnCo shills.

What else is new?

Sage.

Merriweather Post Pavilion went for a fun sound too, but that was good. People keep on trying to blame the negative reaction to this album on superficial things whereas in reality, the album is poor.

What is making you think that people are shilling?

it was at least something completely new (for them) and i can respect it for that. centipede hz was worse to me because it just didnt do anything new. this had some amazingly catchy moments and i enjoy listening to it on occasion. but sure its not another MPP or feels.

>merriweather is fun
Yeah man songs about dealing with the responsibilities of an adult were great.
>song about needing shelter
>song about masturbating to avoid cheating
>song about a dead parent
What are you talking about?

By the way, when you say things like "in reality, the album was poor" you sound like a dickhead with no friends. Just say you don't like it.

Imo the poppier albums aren't close to as good as the earlier albums were. I don't know why mpp is toted as their best

There were moments in PW where it was really vibing with me but I noticed a trend in the album when a lot of the songs got to their choruses they turned really bad and kind if took me out of it.

>flor flor flor flor flor i da
floridada starts this trend right off the bat

[melodic whistling]
WOOOAAAHHHH!
Here we go, cause we're Fanboy & Chum Chum!
A little cuckoo, Fanboy & Chum Chum
We're amazing, totally crazy
Fanboy, Chum Chum, come on, everybody, sing!
We're gonna scream at the top of our lungs!
We're gonna fly and have some fun!
We don't care, if you stare, I mean, look at our underwear!
BRAAAAAIIIIIN FREEEEEEEZZZE! Ooooooooh...BRAIN FREEZE!
Buh-buh-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba, Buh-buh-ba-ba-ba ba-ba ba-ba
Blah blah, blah blah, buh-buh-ba-ba-ba-ba-blah!
So come and scream at the top of your lungs!
Come and fly and have some fun!
Buh-buh-blah, buh-buh-blah, buh, blah, blah, Fanboy & Chum Chum!

I really like Floridada's chorus

he's just retarded user

>The album is poor, my opinions are objective

It is the best album of the 21st Century.

kay sorry

That could go to any of AnCo's albums, but definitely not Painting With

It's the only album of theirs that breaks the 10/10 scale, ranking at 11/10. Their two next best albums behind it would be Here Comes the Indian and Feels.

I dig it. Golden Gal and Lying In the Grass are excellent.

It's accessible, so it's the 'best' one.
If you actually like the band and not just charts, it's clearly not the best, though it isn't bad.

FANBOY CHUM CHUM

>implying The Deak of Kindness won't rejoin AnCo and reckon in a new age of good AnCo

How do you guys feel knowing that they will never put out a good record again and that Deak will have a GOAT solo career from now on?

but sleep cycle only had one truly great song on it
how can his career be GOAT like that?

Sleep Cycle was just great as a whole, man

Plus he's going to release more material this year anyway, so it will be 2 great albums against one decent album from AnCo in a single year

I'm not sure which track you're referring to as the only GOAT one because I thought the whole album was amazing, and the best Animal Collective related project to be released since ODDSAC. Good House in particular is Banshee Beat-tier.

I'm just so happy about Deakin's solo career.

*1 EP and a potential album
>Banshee Beat-tier
explains why I don't like it
Footy is by far the best

Eh, I think it's the worst part of the song easily. That's why it was so good live, they fucked with the vocals on the chorus and it made the song way better

>implies Banshee Beat isn't God-tier

Feels as a whole is overrated, and that song especially so. it's a middling song on a decent album.

Golden Girl was banging live. Saw them on friday. Amazing show

Feels probably is a little overrated, as it seems to be the album people exclusively use to say MPP isn't their favorite, but man Banshee Beat still does it for me. It's lyrically some of Avey's best work and the instrumentation fits the mood so well. "swimming pooOOOOL" will always be a magical moment for me.

All I ever hear in regards to it is people saying it's overrated, so it's like unanimously regarded as overrated, except it's one of the greatest albums of all time and no one seems to realize that except for me. Maybe I'm just wrong, but whenever I listen to Feels, I feel like I'm hearing a completely different album from everyone else. Sung Tongs, on the other hand, is hugely overrated.

Agreed completely.

I've seen you say this like five times m8
I can assure you that it's basically me and a small few other people who think it's not all that great

Their last live show at Starland Ballroom was fucking incredible. Daily Routine brought the crowd to tears.

Was there on Friday too. That Golden Gal was considerably worse than other Golden Gals this tour. Panda's voice was a little strained when he was singing it.

They closed with Daily Routine in Asheville and holy shit was it a good closer. It's a fucking gorgeous song live

i like it a lot too, tons of great songs

Bees brought me to tears.

Floridada was great

I WAS AT THAT SHOW. the bees made me fucking cry

I see a lot of fanboys here, but where are my chums?

:)

I hated how long he dragged out daily routine, borderline ruined the song for me.

Just to be clear I enjoyed the rest of the show, not a total autist

IHOP

>all these plebs who don't realize the beauty of MPP
Literally the best album ever

but it's not even the best in their discography user
(that would be sung tongs btw)

As far as I'm concerned there are three equally acceptable answers for best AnCo record, and those are Sung Tongs, Feels, and Strawberry Jam

...unless you count Spirits

Fuck Dennys

Is that a Starland meme?