R.E.M. General

What do ya'll think of this 10/10 record?

i think it's a 10/10, A+, 5 star album.

my exact opinion

10/10

nice digits and great taste

I mean, it's pretty good, doesn't compare to their early stuff but i can see why people like it, and-

oh.

>doesn't compare to their early stuff

???????????????????????

Took a while for it to grow on me, agree with 10/10
Prefer Reckoning though

>their early stuff

same

This nigga is diving into R.E.M. demo tapes or some shit. Why would you even bother?

What do yous prefer about Reckoning?

the songs+music+beat

This, I'm genuinely curious.

I guess that guy really loved the Chronic Town EP.

The sound seems improved and more polished, can't really put my finger on what makes me think that. Also the first side of Reckoning (I guess with the exception of Time after Time) is just catchy hit after catchy hit. Rockville is a fucking tune

I just that shit on cassette. 10/10 for sure.

>Rockville is a fucking tune
I mean that in the best way possible

my favorite album is actually reconstruction of the fables.

maps & legends, driver 8, green grow the rushes, kohoutek.

those songs! that atmosphere!

to be fair the chronic town EP is god tier

Beta high school me loved this album.

Present day me still loves it anyway. 10/10

First 3 songs are, but it's weak in the back half. Especially Stumble

it's also my favourite REM album, I love the darker mood, but it's also their last good album, Life's Rich Pageant stil has a great sound but I don't like the songs as much as on their earlier albums

Fall on Me is REM's best song, but other than that, I agree

>Especially Stumble

that pre-chorus is awesome though.

Someone here should cook up an R.E.M. flowchart. If not, what order should they be listened to? Chronologically?

>Hyena sister look to your haaaaaaaand

start with eponymous. the perfect compilation.

Well, I can't really answer those questions but you'll eventually listen (and enjoy) Murmus, Document, Reckoning and Automatic for the People. So listen to those and then keep going if you want to.

That's tough because once they signed to Warner, they decided to stop making songs that sounded like REM, iirc

back when I first heard this album, I knew it was a perfect record. but I gradually paid less and less attention to it. but why? if it's so perfect, then why don't I want to listen to it as much as other stuff?

because it feels "neutral" in a way. that this is practically the golden mean of what eventually became so-called "alt-rock" (read: radio-ready pop rock), and I already get why I liked that music, but I'm onto other things already.

I can think of another album I I'd call perfect, but with the added benefit that I can listen to it anytime and feel totally engaged by it: The Punch Line by Minutemen - they even toured with R.E.M. in '85.

the real question is how are they different? they're both totally consistent, in the sense that they both feel like they're reinventing music for themselves; but if Murmur feels like Kind of Blue, then The Punch Line feels more like This Is Our Music - you can feel the excitement of these guys working out their ideas right in front of you. there's a bit more distance with R.E.M. - some more calculation to what they did, which means I generally get less from their music. ultimately that was a bit more commercial, but they couldn't help that any more than Miles could - that's just the consequence of their approach: accidental millionaires.