Overtone singing general

youtube.com/watch?v=1eh3HRuC2V8

So I've been pretty fascinated lately by overtone singing. Anyone have any popular or western style music that employs it?

This is all I've found:

youtube.com/watch?v=zTSBOpwWmGQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sREflWp12rQ
youtube.com/watch?v=f1WZSiNceoE
youtu.be/-_LGaK3oxIk
youtube.com/watch?v=WsB9P5ziaCM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone_singing#Europe
youtube.com/watch?v=VNmewqmZg4A
youtube.com/watch?v=XyhmDYLXFto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why western?

anyway huun huur tu are among the most popular bands in the "genre"

youtube.com/watch?v=sREflWp12rQ

youtube.com/watch?v=f1WZSiNceoE

I just really like how it sounds in that country song in op. It seems strange that such a diverse technique hasn't been widely adopted much outside of folk styles that have always used it.

I guess I'm looking at it more as a technique than a genre

Demetrio Stratos of Area did something like this in his solo album, there is also a documentary about it

youtu.be/-_LGaK3oxIk

Thank you desu, never even heard of area. I ;ike what I'm hearing

Looks like my cat. I'm going to start playing my jew harp when he runs

This one dude called Tulegur. Trust me.

Don't know about overtone, but there's plenty of excellent western throat singing

youtube.com/watch?v=WsB9P5ziaCM

Also there's this:

No but he didn't really experiment that much with his voice while on Area. Look up his first two solo albums and his collab with Luciano Fabbri

I have high hopes for this thread because I love unusual vocal techniques (wink wink nudge nudge say no more)

>Also there's this:
Shit, I meant to post this link under that sentence:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone_singing#Europe

How 'bout some Tibetan deepthroat lads ;^)
youtube.com/watch?v=VNmewqmZg4A

>why western?
Not sure what OP had in mind, but in my case I'm interested in western (or, generally, non-asian) throat-and-overtone singin because anyone remotely interested in the technique is most likely already familiar with Tuvan, Tibetan and eastern Russian singin techniques.

Yeah I checked out some of his solo stuff, it was interesting. I'm downloading now. I just wanted to get an idea of his background more. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of Area because it's right up my alley.

That's pretty much what I meant. In that arthur miles track it works amazingly in place of yodelling. I was just looking for more instances like that where the technique is adapted outside of its traditional form.

If you like Area you should check out the other three giants of Italo Prog: Le Orme, Premiata Formeria Marconi and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. Less fusion-oriented and far more mellow, but still amazing. Aphrodite's Child's 666 and Vangelis' Earth are greek (same guy, lol) but have a folkier sound that's closer to Area.

Anyway back to dem throats ;););)
Did you listen to this, OP?

Yeah, I've got it playing right now. It's very interesting. Is there a long tradition in Serbia?

OH SHIT Vangelis did the bladerunner soundtrack? My body is ready

That's Sardinia, an italian island just south of Corsica (France). They speak an italian dialect that's the consequence of centuries of a relatively isolated culture. This type of singin, called Su Cantu A TenĂ²re, supposedly dates all the way back to the middle ages. I don't know and, really, no one knows, how true that claim is since, you know, cultural isolation and oral traditions aren't exactly a hotbed for reliable historical documents. Still, it sounds marvellous.

Oh ok, I just saw in the title it was in Serbia (I also have a horrible ear for languages). That's pretty cool, especially if it really is that old. Is there anything similar on mainland Italy or is it uniquely Sardinan?

Uniquely Sardinian. There's some similar singing in places like Hungary and Bulgaria, though

youtube.com/watch?v=XyhmDYLXFto

Part 2 of lonely cowboy. Sad, sad story.