Is there a worse band?

Is there a worse band?

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/read/the-wall-of-sound
wired.com/2015/07/grateful-dead-fare-thee-well-tech-pioneers/
archive.org/details/gd1971-04-28.sbd.boswell.smith.114088.flac24
archive.org/details/gd76-06-09.matrix.chappell.29323.sbeok.flac16
doomandgloomfromthetomb.tumblr.com/post/94087648147/summer-of-dead-2014-where-am-i-who-am-i-what
archive.org/details/gd1973-07-27.mtx.seamons.100410.sbeok.flac16
youtube.com/watch?v=FOF5o1GyWKo
archive.org/details/gd1974-03-23.sbd.clugston-orf.1995.sbeok.shnf
archive.org/details/gd90-06-08.schoeps-fob.georges.9630.sbeok.shnf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Blur

sweet may-may

But m-muh Garcia

AC/DC

phish, moe, Johnny hobo and the freight trains, WKSJ, etc.

There are plenty of worse bands.

the GD are not very good, though.

The Grateful Dead are literally the best American rock band of all time. Completely ruined all other classic rock for me because it is shit in comparison aside from a few bands

phish

The Doors

My Bloody Valentine

U2

No

what exactly makes them bad

Seconded

All jam bands are bad

Terrapin Station is legitimately good, no wonder their fans hate it.

Bingo. You got it, shit-shanks.

you people are clearly autismos. GD and phish are easily the most significant improvising groups outside of the "jazz" idiom. You cant look at it the same way you look at recording centric bands. improvising groups are attempting to accomplish a completely different musical goal. if u have a solid argument cool but otherwise you can talk to my tenured teaching position and master in jazz performance.

They don't count as a jamband since they were around before jambands existed. Modern jambands are shit though.

Phish

Shits cash mang top tier shit here

johnny hobo is great

agreed except phish but moe. umphrys, twiddle, widespread, etc. are garbage tru garbage m8.

>He doesn't like the grateful dead

Muh, validate my shit opinion guys.

Phish

oasis

The Dead are pretty fun to listen to on a sunny, clear day during the summer. Anytime else I can understand why you don't really enjoy it

Phish

U legit have zero taste if u dislike dead

Ween, or Phish

The Grateful Dead are one of the most important bands in American rock history. They had far reaching influence musically, culturally, technically, and within the industry. Obviously they spawned what is now known as the "jam band," the vast majority of which I'm sure we all agree suck - but they also influenced countless other groups ad musicians. Just look at the tracklisting for the tribute album coming out - not all of them were influenced by or even like the Dead, but lots of them are: The War on Drugs, The National, Wilco, Lee Ronaldo, Flaming Lips are all (I believe) on record as having been influenced heavily by the band.

Culturally, most people here would probably argue that hippies fucking suck and should die and it's hard to disagree, but in the 60s, they played a very important part in the cultural shift going on. They were as much a part of the Summer of Love as any other artist and were engaged in a relationship of mutual influence with all those other Haight bands, my favorite of which and I think the other most culturally influential band being Sly and the Family Stone - hard to listen to a GD show from 65-68 and a Sly show from the same period and not hear all of the similarities.

Technically, they are responsible for the widespread use of the modern PA system that virtually every touring band uses. I don't have the technical knowledge to go on in detail but read these articles:

motherboard.vice.com/read/the-wall-of-sound
wired.com/2015/07/grateful-dead-fare-thee-well-tech-pioneers/

Within the industry, they were one of the first bands (AFAIK) of their stature to not give a shit about studio albums (mostly)) and tour extensively, making nearly all of their money on tours. Everyone does that now. They were a band for 30 years, toured extensively for probably 25 of them and played about 3,000 shows over that time. They still (I believe) hold the record for most gross revenue from touring of all time, by a hell of a lot.

Anyway, obviously you're entitled to still hate the music even if you acknowledge all of this. But, objectively they are great musicians. It's impossible to hear them improvise and disagree. Bob Weir is extremely underrated and I would say by far the greatest rock rhythm guitarist of all time. Kreutzmann is an incredible, jazz trained drummer - you can hear it in any '73 show. He kills it. Mickey is just as interesting if not as good, he makes some really out there stuff that's super engaging and creative. Jerry has fucking chops, too - they degraded to some extent quickly imo and its a shame he wasn't at his peak at the same time as the rest of the band. Jerry from 68-70 was easily one of the best rock guitar players in the world - on the same level as anyone else bar Hendrix. They were all very technically and harmonically sound in their playing and that's impossible to deny. They were fluent in jazz language and harmony and used it often - "The Music Never Stopped," "Eyes of the World," "St. Stephen," etc.

The thing that sets them apart of all the other shitty jambands though is easily songwriting. I guess you could dislike their writing, but exactly zero people - plebs and patricians alike - I've showed "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" to have disliked them, and I don't view the peak of songwriting there much removed from what they wrote throughout the 70s.

>american rock history
>important

kek

agree with all of these except the fake jazz degree guy. I mean, I agree, i just find it hard to believe he actually has a jazz performance degree and loves the dead. most of those people I know hate the dead, but jazz fans who are JUST fans tend be much more likely to like them ime.
Fans don't hate it. It's just nothing compared to what they did with those songs live.

Yeah Umphrey's McGee actually is cancer

never said american rock history is important in a global context. i said they were important within the context of american rock history

and yeah u fuckers im gonna go hard over this shit yall need to be fucking educated

They had one of the greatest bassist in rock music

Not the same user but nice response sperglord

This. Phil Lesh is absolutely incredible. He's one of the reasons I started playing bass.

Yeah this is also true can't believe I forgot to mention Phil holy shit. '76 was his best year imo, fucking amazing. All the same technical qualities discussed. Extremely knowledgeable and skilled. Perfect connection with the other members. Everything a bassist needs. God I love Phil.

I think the GD might be the most satisfying "fusion" music ever created. Its based most deeply in rock, though, in contrast to a lot of what we call "jazz fusion" but they are on the other side of the coin as 70s Miles. Live/Dead and In A Silent Way are companion pieces.

Blue Oyster Cult and AC/DC.

i wonder which anco member this is posting

should I take this as a compliment? i dont listen to anco

I've found that the only people who hate the dead, just hate their image and haven't heard any of their music
Imo live/dead is a universal masterpiece, that anyone who likes music should be able to enjoy

where do i start with them?

Live/dead or American Beauty depending on if you want jams or folk rock

oh, also, for anyone who likes them I'd like the plug the very first album. Super underrated, sounds nothing like their other work, but is very very good. Like psych/garage rock I think you'd describe it as.

This is now GD general.

Is there worse bait?

they're boring and their fans are boring

He studied trumpet and violin and as a child composed several symphonies. He is a unique bassist, listen to those fluid lines in American Beauty, they are impossible to replicate.

I knew about his training, didn't know he wrote symphonies. Not surprising at all. Their unique backgrounds are integral to their sound. Jerry came from bluegrass/jug, Phil from classical and a little jazz, billy from jazz, mickey is I think a creation of haight outright, bobby came from being taught by jerry and then listening to McCoy Tyner and self training, pig came blues and country and r&b, keith from jazz, brent was a straight up rock dude, etc.

>this is now GD general
>thread dies
thats about right

Currently enjoying probably the best Hard to Handle they ever did. Although 8/6/71 is fantastic too. From archive.org/details/gd1971-04-28.sbd.boswell.smith.114088.flac24 . It's a fantastic SBD mix, but I actually want to hear more audience, if only because they were on fire for this show and I get a kick out of hearing people's minds getting blown.

Speaking of Bobby, he takes the first solo on this and kills it, with Jerry and Phil supporting intelligently. Jerry's solo is a bit noodly as usual, but when they slam it home at 7:57 he and everyone are just chugging along on all cylinders and I cum buckets. Speaking of Phil, one of my favorite bass lines of all time is at 1:32.

Another favorite is the St. Stephen>Eyes of the World from archive.org/details/gd76-06-09.matrix.chappell.29323.sbeok.flac16 Phil is particularly excellent there.

listen to sleep cycle and campfire songs

Probably my favorite official album release of theirs. Dat Cumberland Blues...

Hell yeah. All dope shows. Love that shit. Great picks.

Your post about wanting to hear more audience reminded of this compilation, which includes an audience tape by Bear. Damn shame he didn't do more in that style, its extremely interesting and unique, and by far the best pure audience recording i've ever heard. Whole thing is great, too.

doomandgloomfromthetomb.tumblr.com/post/94087648147/summer-of-dead-2014-where-am-i-who-am-i-what

Huh. Never heard that show, and a very good AUD quality, especially for an indoor show.

Now I'm loving another favorite: the jam before Wharf Rat from archive.org/details/gd1973-07-27.mtx.seamons.100410.sbeok.flac16 It's 20 minutes of pure improvisation and while it's all great, at 14:47 when Bobby starts bending those notes during that insane bouncy groove I just kind of melt.

I'd say
Is a good a place as any. They never really shined in the studio, but their best studio albums were around that time too: Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are great with a nice country tinge. Also check out any of the shows in
too.

nigga this 4 album stretch might be the best in american music

its very possible. You could extend it farther back too - Live/Dead was the last thing before WMD, so definitely include that. Aoxomoxoa and Anthem are at least worth considering, too.

This may or not mean anything to you, but the Dead were Avey Tare's favorite band growing up. No Dead, No AnCo.

grateful dead will never be taken seriously because of their fans

Yes! That's the other one. They also licensed the first GD sample - "What Do I Want? Sky" (or w.e it is) is a line from "Unbroken Chain." I should probably get into them, I'm sure I'd like it.

>Any other type of rock music
>Important
Nigga we made Rock

theyre old greatest hits album

Yes... yes there is.

most fans i meet love the Dead as a country rock band or for their 70's work. And yeah, they're kinda silly.

But the ones that delve into the bootlegs are pretty cool

this

I refuse to believe this is a real album cover

objectively their best and most difficult album

nice

90% of the bands that get talked about here. between the rap threads and indie rock praise I can't actually believe how many of you are colossal faggots. they should call this board /sh/ instead of Sup Forums, because the majority of you have absolutely shit taste.

you are rite.

btw Dick's Picks Vol. 12 has the GOAT China Cat/I Know You Rider.

youtube.com/watch?v=FOF5o1GyWKo

Death Grips

Ooh that sounds good, but only have laptop speakers right now. Can't wait to play it on something good and loud. I was always preferential to the China>Rider from archive.org/details/gd1974-03-23.sbd.clugston-orf.1995.sbeok.shnf Phil is dropping bombs left and right, and again, Bobby's solo proves he is more than a "rhythm guitarist." Also on Dick's Picks 24.

And while 69-74 are my favorite years of theirs, I just love the Foolish Heart and jam afterwards from archive.org/details/gd90-06-08.schoeps-fob.georges.9630.sbeok.shnf

You need to get a good set of headphones and listen to this.

My friends and I were on a shroom trip and we played this song in pitch blackness while smoking a blunt. I swear to God my eyes were following Jerry's guitar lines. Each note and lick played manifested itself in visual form in front of my eyes. When they went into the Mind Left Body jam directly after China Cat, I lost it. Best musical experience of my life, and I just wanted to share it with you.

People meme about the grateful dead a lot, and that's fine. But dammit, some of the stuff they did was absolutely magical.

Anal Cunt

The album sucked, the songs were great when performed live, though. The band themselves always said that their studio work didn't do them justice, and they had to be seen in concert. I think was right on the money with his response to your post.

(Nice dubs)
You've been listening to Blues for Allah, haven't you?

That's the album that actually got me into them, as it appealed to my punk/garage side, but listening to Anthem of The Sun the first time made me understand why everybody called them "Acid Rock". If one can find them, (And they're quite rare) I would also recommend Vintage Dead, and Historic Dead which were recorded at The Avalon Ballroon in 1966, and were on the "Sunflower" label. (An off shoot of MGM records) They are similar in style and delivery as the first studio album. (Also The Warlocks "Emergency Crew" demos are essential)

The original 1969 version is far superior than the 1971 remix. Why did they even do that? (Same goes for Anthem of The Sun, imho)

(Nice dubs)
You've been listening to Blues for Allah, haven't you?

That album sucked, but The Way of the Fist and War is the Answer were amazing, and American capitalist was great.

Lol 95% of the music tossed around here is boring as shit but you faggots love it because its relatively unknown and it makes you feel deep and superior. GD is fucking great and if you say otherwise theres a really good chance youre literally retarded