/classical/

Anti-HIP edition.
Post your favorite Bach and Scarlatti pianists and talk about the general superiority of the piano.

Getting these out of the way:
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IeKWGSSIYqs
youtube.com/watch?v=X9uziKNhCk
youtube.com/watch?v=IXeJRjE4WmM
youtube.com/watch?v=IHD1-nLEUUo
youtube.com/watch?v=s8rqpnl5bc0
rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/recommended_mahler_discography/
youtube.com/watch?v=7F7TVM8m95Y
youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60
youtube.com/watch?v=ejOaUn0Ub5o
youtube.com/watch?v=xop5Bnfo4yc
youtube.com/watch?v=nkqydMUOoEs
youtube.com/watch?v=U9gCvM7PaYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump. Also, whats the best recordings of Mahler symphonies?

Depends on the symphony but Mengelberg has the best 4th.

Symphony 1 - Kubelik/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra

Symphony 2 - Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra

Symphony 3 - Bernstein

Symphony 4 - Mengelberg / Royal Concertgbouw Orchestra Amsterdam

Symphony 5 - Bruno Walter / New York Philharmonic Orchestra

Symphony 6 - Eschenbach

Symphony 7 - Gielen

Symphony 8 - Horenstein / London Symphonic Orchestra

Symphony 9 - Bruno Maderna / BBC Symphony Orchestra

I think I just found the worst mixed classical performance of all time.

youtu.be/IeKWGSSIYqs

I actually kind of like that one. Very soothing but not rhythmically complex.

one of the few things i like about my country is that we have a classical music radio station that airs 24/7 with no ads. is this common around the world?

yup

Probably. My country has one as well.

mine to. The only advertisements are live performances, film festivals, exhibitions, book presentations.

Forgot to add: but it's not only classical. it's more like 90% classical, 5% jazz and 5% avant-garde weird shit like ambient, plunderphonics, noise, stuff like that.

what country

israel

King FM a la Seattle is nice on the weekdays. Unfortunately, weekends are opera arias and movie soundtracks.

Get out.

piano superiority compared to what?

protip
>type harpsichord to confirm /classical/ illiteracy

Harpsichord is pretty obnoxious though.

Poly, get out.

Never!

my mom says that as far as solo keyboard music is concerned, Scarlatti is a better composer then Bach. Is this true or is she trying to meme me?

as a person who has only really delved into minimalism (and enjoyed it immensely), where would you suggest I now venture within classical music?

Is there any hope for me? I say this because I remember seeing within this general immense hatred towards minimalism and several anons proclaiming it's not a true form of classical music

There are classical "flowcharts" in the Sup Forums wiki and other resources that you can use. But you can always start with Bach, Beethoven and Mozart.

Form your own opinions, whether other people claim minimalism is a true form of classical music or not should not affect your enjoyment of it.

Listen to what you enjoy. Minimalism is covered under Classical music and will always be. People don't like it because it is very repetitive and rhythmically easy. I enjoy it though. Try CLT's guide to Western Art Music.

Listen to Mozart.

wrong

Bump
youtube.com/watch?v=X9uziKNhCk

Bump

>Bernstein

>unironically listening to JS Bach played on anything but the pipe organ as God intended
wew

>Anti-HIP edition.
ok

Whats you favorite vocaloid performance /classical/? do you love when 400 year old music is re-imagined as japanese robotic girls singing?

poly loves harpsichord though

is there anything like schnittke's choral music (no poly)?

You could take a dump

please dont shitpost at me i just want music to listen to

>Whats you favorite vocaloid performance /classical/?
youtube.com/watch?v=IXeJRjE4WmM

>do you love when 400 year old music is re-imagined as japanese robotic girls singing?
Only because no human ensemble are willing to sing these magnificats at the correct pitch, with all verses together. Vocaloids aren't exactly ideal for this since they don't have a good bass voice, which is a huge handicap in rendering these types of music.

Schnitke is pretty unique but you could try Ligeti, Tavener (the new one), or maybe britten.

Schnittke is heavily influenced by orthodox chant and russian sacred music so you could check those out too. Chesnokov for example.

Thanks will give those a listen. I like Medieval chants too but I only know German/English/French composers and Kassia so that will definitely help.

Thanks guys, I will definitely check those out.

>Vocaloids aren't exactly ideal for this since they don't have a good bass voice,
I would argue they dont have a good any voice.

Why use vocaloids when excellent choir libraries exist, and allow you to construct words syllable by syllable? You could have real human voices singing this shit, using only a computer?

>Why use vocaloids when excellent choir libraries exist, and allow you to construct words syllable by syllable?
Waifus, probably. Also I've never heard of any other software that have similar capabilities apart from UTAU.

things like mars mens choir.

youtube.com/watch?v=IHD1-nLEUUo

youtube.com/watch?v=s8rqpnl5bc0

Notice how non-Germans have a natural propensity for beauty.

Brahms Piano concerto No.2
Gareth Farr "From the Depths Sound the Great Sea Gongs"
and
Shostakovich Symphony No. 1
tonight

Should be fun!

I sure hope you guys go to the odd live concert. It's THE way to experience classical

In the San Francisco Bay Area there is KDFC; it's not state-funded or anything, so there are often donation drives and such.

What's the "odd live concert"

i really like the Maderna rendition of Symphony No. 9, but doesn't he take a bunch of liberties with his interpretation? like i could have sworn the Allmusic review or an article i read on it was about how odd his interpretation is, without saying that necessarily made it a bad version.

also, i haven't heard the Stokowski/LSO version of No. 2. i think i've only heard the Klemperer/Concertgebouw. anyone have any insights into how the Stokowski/LSO compares?

it's a way of saying "go to live concerts here and there/every so often"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn I'm dumb :^(

You're in the tonic when the dominant comes up and slaps your ass. What do?

Any violinist ? How am I suppose to find a fit chinrest and shoulderrest ?

i claim my leading note

rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/recommended_mahler_discography/

It's pretty funny how the only good """"german"""" composers aren't actually bog niggers, but austrians (actually dinaric that is), magyars, poles etc.

Bite me.

Scarlatti is superior on harpsichord.
Listen to the complete recordings on Erato by Scott Ross.

Richard Earl's Bach recordings on harmonia mundi are my very favorites.

But I fully admit that Sviatoslav Richter is my most beloved pianist.
That monster Melodiya box is a wonder.

1. Bernstein / NYPO 1966

2. Rattle/CBSO

3. Boulez/Vienna PO

4. no fav

5. Tennstedt/NYPO

6. Zander/Philharmonia

7. Gielen/Berlin Philharmoniker

8. Sinopoli/Philharmonia

9. Zander/Philharmonia

10. Rattle/Berlin Philharmoniker

Das Lied von der Erde
Tennstedt/London PO

why is nobody willing to admit that Bach is overrated?

let's compare

Bach Mass
youtube.com/watch?v=7F7TVM8m95Y

Palestrina Mass
youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

does Bach's "sacred music" even sound sacred in comparison? It sounds pastoral, more fit for a German countryside than a church. It's also loud and obnoxious in places. Palestrina's music is angelic.

Bach Gloria
youtube.com/watch?v=ejOaUn0Ub5o

Monteverdi Gloria
youtube.com/watch?v=xop5Bnfo4yc

Care to explain this Bachfags?

sounds like a nice tune suffocating in a smoky jazz bar

ugly desu

>implying Bach composed only sacred music
>pretending to have a serious discussion

>Care to explain this Bachfags?
Fugues
Passions
Suites
Books of preludes and fugues in all keys
Cello sonatas
Violin sonata and partitas
Organ works

Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Myaskovsky, Bruckner and Sibelius. Among these, who is, in your opinion, the best symphonist, and why?

does that list somehow explain how his music sounds bad? Is it some sort of code that I have to decipher to see the argument?

well you were comparing forms. These are the forms that Bach excelled in. And I challenged you to post examples where Bach has been outdone.

Mahler becuase he has pizazz, and being a professional conductor gives him the edge when it comes to pushing the envelope of late romantic orchestration.

>qt is flipping through a random score lying around
>its Martinů's 1st symphony
>"user how do you even read this?"
>start explaining the instruments on the first page
>"user what's a bassoon?"
>reply: "um....a kind of large recorder..?"

/classical/ fails that no one noticed?

How would you have described a bassoon to someone? without getting too technical.

A bigger clarinet with a heavier voice.

>It sounds pastoral, more fit for a German countryside than a church. It's also loud and obnoxious in places.

This is a leitmotif in all German music, apart from Mozart's (who was Austrian). There's this intrinsic cheapness and almost thinly-veiled irony in everything from Bach to Schoenberg.

Compare to something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=nkqydMUOoEs

Granted, this loses a lot of steam after the first 15-20 minutes and is kind of mediocre overall but you can instantly tell the difference in fundamental aesthetic. It's so somber and intimate, I couldn't imagine any German writing anything like it.

The closest thing I've ever found was this:

youtube.com/watch?v=U9gCvM7PaYA

Sounds fun deus

I do need to listen to more live stuff, but last concert I went to was 90 dollaroos, but it was good fun. Granted it was MSO which is why it was probably expensive

Tchaikovsky piano concerto
Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol
Scriabin sympthony 3

Is it worth going to less expensive classical concerts (if those exist) with lesser known symphonies?

>Is it worth going to less expensive classical concerts (if those exist) with lesser known symphonies?
of course! they're usually pretty good anyway, even if they're not the topmost tier.