favourite song?
favourite album?
favourite demo/bootleg?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8QPfOqvctj4
interstate-8.com/discography.php?releasecategoryid=3
youtube.com/watch?v=NEmUiaOzi3g
youtube.com/watch?v=nH1OZe98J5U
store.glacialpace.com/collections/modest-mouse/products/modest-mouse-night-on-the-sun-ep
youtube.com/watch?v=_3k3yoHxFFc
youtube.com/watch?v=mijdzH-Kv_Q
interstate-8.com/songlist.php?songid=138
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trailer Trash is their best song imo

that's a nice song for sure

Best Album: TLCW
Best Song: Night on the Sun
Modest Mouse is one of my all time favorite bands.

Been listening to pic related a lot lately. It's actually great, it's sort of loose and self-indulgent but it just adds to the charm. It reminds me of Sad Sappy Sucker (also underrated) but made with a lot more experience.
My favorite songs from it are The Fruit That Ate Itself and The Waydown, followed by Dirty Fingernails and Karma's Payment. They really did a lot of playing around sonically on that EP, almost feels like a precursor to M&A in that respect. The Waydown especially would fit in with the first two from M&A.
>favorite songs
1. Other People's Lives
2. Styrofoam Boots / It's All Nice on Ice, Alright
3. Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
4. King Rat
5. Life Like Weeds
this is just stuff that's stuck with me recently, not necessarily my all time favorites. Whenever You See Fit is up there somewhere.
>favorite album
My favorite album of theirs is definitely the Lonesome Crowded West, but after that I don't really care to rank their stuff. Their first four counting Building Nothing Out of Something (or 5 if you want to count Ugly Casanova) are all pretty much equally good in my eyes, just for different reasons.

If you're looking for good live bootlegs their best modern performance is probably Live at Sasquatch in 2011, should be in the archive. There's also this: youtube.com/watch?v=8QPfOqvctj4

fave songs: Dramamine, Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
fave album: The Lonesome Crowded West

Modest Mouse is one of my all time favorite bands like this guy said

i agree, fruit is great.

>tfw you will never see early angry garage-y modest mouse live

Any of you fools pre order the Night on the Sun reissue? It's the original japenese CD full of demos. New artwork to boot!

i don't understand the point of reissuing that

None of the tracks were previously on vinyl. And Night on the Sun on the CD also has an extended coda.

nope but kind of want, same with the whenver you see fit reissue

i have al ot of Modest Mouse releases so i might as well continue the collection
i dont have anything super impressive though, sadly..

all of the tracks were released on vinyl, though. just alt mixes

this is truly my greatest music related feel

I'm gonna get the Up Records version of that someday (I'm on a quest to collect that label's entire discography).

feels bad man

Song: Doin' the Cockroach
Album: Long Drive
Demo: Live in Sunburst Montana

Live experiences thread?

>had underwhelming experience with MM live before
>second leg of the strangers to ourselves tour kicks off very close to home
>hey, what do i have to lose, they're my favorite band
>they open with the live debut of the best song from StO, The Tortoise and the Tourist
>proceed to put a lot of energy into already high energy songs like bury me with it and dark center of the universe
>play all their hits
>even jam a little
>i got to see parting of the sensory and broke live
best concert i've ever seen desu senpai

>favorite song
dramamine or edit the sad parts
or that live version of dramamine that transitions into life like weeds
>album
Long drive, duh
>demo / bootleg
Live at the gorge. It's 10x better than the official released live album 'baron von bullshit'

Sweet jeebus, broke

forgot to mention this was a very small venue, like 500 people

fav songs: Dramamine, Beach Side Property, WSoD, Gravity Rides Everything, Trucker's Atlas

source? I'm not seeing anything on this.

>Favorite Songs
Edit the Sad Parts
Dramamine
Tundra/Desert
>Album
Long Drive

Do they still play songs from their first few albums at concerts?

yes

neato

Favorite song constantly changes but it usually cycles between Life Like Weeds, Trailer Trash and The Stars Are Projectors
Favorite album of all time is LCW
I unfortunately am not knowledgeable about demos and bootlegs

Song: Night on the Sun
Album:
1. Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
2. Lonesome Crowded West
3. Good News for People Who Love Bad News
4. Building Nothing Out of Something
5. This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About
Bootleg: That Bowery Ballroom show they did around 2000 where they played like 20 songs, half of them going for twice the length of the studio version. I wish I still knew the date.

interstate-8.com/discography.php?releasecategoryid=3

pretty cool stuff

I had a very similar experience in reverse. Saw them (him?) right before STO tour and it was mind altering. Doin' The Cockroach live was transcendent. Saw again during STO tour and it officially put the last nail in the coffin for me.

Lonesome Crowded West or die desu.

Could somebody please explain to me what conceptual link "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" could possibly have with "Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice, Alright"? Is there anybody who honestly believes this isn't just a collection of re-recorded B-sides, placed in a random order with a hipster-friendly cover and a nonsensical name? That Modest Mouse's addled brains didn't simply run out of creativity around a year ago, and after the utter flop of TIALDFSWNTTA they've now given up writing truly new music altogether?

saw them in 2010, was good but don't remember what they played
saw them last year on the strangers to ourselves tour, was ok. a lot better than i expected. again don't really remember the songs much but the played some old stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=NEmUiaOzi3g

i read your post twice but don't know what you're saying.

I've really really loved all the shit I've heard from the Lonesome Crowded West (not heard any of their records in full yet, however) but stuff like 3rd planet from the Moon and Antarctica just doesn't really hit me. Yeah nice lyrics and a good melody but I don't think it's god-tier like a lot of people. Am I a cunt?

nah my top 3 are long drive, lcw and bnoos. m&a is 4th place.

3rd planet might be one of the more popular one but its not the best on the album, this is
youtube.com/watch?v=nH1OZe98J5U

Yo thanks man

oh yeah this shit bangs hard i've gotta admit

i like all the modest mouse stuff i've heard, should probably listen to my MM cd's finally

I'm pretty sure you can get the Whenever You See Fit 12 in for pretty cheap on discogs. I got mine for like 15 dollars a few years back.

I own an original pressing of LCW. It's my holy grail. I also have a Broke 7 in signed by Eric Judy.

Not necessarily alt mixes, but completely different recordings.

I own the Up records version. Bought for 40 bucks. You can find it on discogs for 30 though.

They posted an update about it on their FB.
store.glacialpace.com/collections/modest-mouse/products/modest-mouse-night-on-the-sun-ep

I saw them in Columbus when they premiered Pistol for the very first time. Man, that was jarring. Grew to love the song, though.

nice! i only got the long drive + lcw represses. I have an original K records sad sappy sucker though, yay.. and two photo books which is pretty nice. And now i dont quite remember 100% but i think i have a clear life of arctic sounds and a 7" of broke

i can't tell if you're trolling or too retarded to notice the very obvious themeing running through the album of the destruction/paving of the american west or the ideas about religion that appear in a lot of the songs (jesus christ was an only child, doin' the cockroach, cowboy dan, bakrupt on selling, styrofoam boots.) even the songs that aren't directly about the destruction of nature in the west describe life in the overdeveloped "soon to be ghost towns" he mentions in the opener.
does every album need to be a concept album? do the songs have to have a story running through them? LCW is a lot more cohesive than most albums.

I'm seeing them with Brand New in Maryland with my girlfriend, we're really going to see Brand New but are excited to see what Modest Mouse has to offer.

Any suggestions? What to expect?

Dark Center of the Universe is a mediocre Built to Spill ripoff that goes on twice as long as it should. There's no actual development, it just repeats itself for 5 minutes.

Same here, but in Portland. Pretty hyped desu but also going mainly for Brand New.

they put on a good show but usually play a lot of new songs (post-good news) so if you expect 90s modest mouse you'll be disappointed.

essential rapecore

pls no Dashboard

that was a copypasta you just replied to

dashboard is ok imo

Seeing them in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Columbus. I'm a huge fan of both so this kind of a dream tour for me.

If your a pleb, for sure

Favorite song: Lounge (long drive)
Album: M&A
Demo: Asteriods

So what is the deal with Beta Carotene? I've got a ton of rarities and bootlegs and the only version of this songI know of iis a mid-quality live version. Haven't seen video of it either. I'm not sure where or when it was recorded and I wanna know more about it

Lonesome Crowded West means that Humans as individuals are sparse in the crowded collective of cookie cutter mallsoft America.

If you break down the lyrics, they are allusions to the influence of consumerism and the effects of it on the surrounding area.

Cowboy Dan is the personification of a Capitalist Developer, and the never ending gamble of manpower and hast in the ever moving society of consumerism.

from my knowledge it's just a song they played live here:
youtube.com/watch?v=_3k3yoHxFFc

and early version here
youtube.com/watch?v=mijdzH-Kv_Q

Saw em on StO tour. Some faggy 40-somethings were moshing violently to every song. It was a pretty tight space and very annoying.

>I'm not sure where or when it was recorded and I wanna know more about it

missed this part; see notes

interstate-8.com/songlist.php?songid=138

live bootleg is "live at gabe's oais"

They record it as only being played 6 times within a year period. Goddamn why does this band have so many hidden gems to unearth? It makes me feel really lucky to experience this kind of stuff

copypasta/10

yeag they have tons of good songs that never made it onto any album or actual studio recording, holy shit this band.

>favourite song?
that's hard af but probably Spitting Venom
>favourite album?
The Moon & Antarctica
>favourite demo/bootleg?
eeeeh i have a lot downloaded but i don't really enjoy them live as much is do on studio

I saw them in '98. They seemed angry at the audience for attending.

>replying to pasta
please get out summer

Seeing dramamine with the life like weeds ending was amazing. Wish they did a recording of it

I thought it didn't work well together desu

I can see why you wouldn't like it. Doesn't really seem like the songs share meaning but I'm just a big fan of both songs.

Have you guys heard the demo track nothing new. Haven't seen anyone on here talk about it but I think it's great

christ, that NoTS reissue cover looks like a fucking coldplay album. not mousey at all.

Yeah, you'd be hard-pressed to find a MM song I haven't heard. To me it sounds like Isaac is picking at the hypocrisy of people with short attention spans who think they're deep and complex, or maybe how he's grown out of yet another person. Or something. I find that I understand the songs a lot more when I don't try to put them into words, like it makes the song moot

Really happy to see a Modest Mouse Thread. They're easily my favorite band
Favorite song: Edit the Sad Parts
Album: TLCW
Bootleg/demo: Jawbreaker
I was going to see them in Seattle in July, but I'm scheduled to be a camp counselor. Feels bittersweet man.

>Favorite Songs
Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
Doing the Cockroach
Custom Concern
Shit Luck

>Favorite Album
TLCW

God Damn I fucking love Modest Mouse

some friends wanted to see MM with brand new on the tour this summer. what should i expect? will they play any early stuff? will they jam?

favorite song: teeth like god's shoeshine/edit the sad parts/polar opposites/dramamine

favorite album: easily LCW

favorite demo: interstate 8

>interstate 8

wow i thought that said EP my bad

they'll do early stuff it'll probably be 6/10 Good News and newer.

But they do jam a bit. They played Breakthrough in Pittsburgh which they extended to like 8 minutes. Isaac played with his teeth for some real noisy shit. Was awesome.

not bad, i'll take 4/10.

excited for the jamming