Mfw a fucking BLOG wrote a better...

mfw a fucking BLOG wrote a better, more levelheaded review than Pitch "Most Trusted Voice In Music and Totally Not Selling BNMs" Fork. the score is even more reasonable.

music journalism is dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

basementalitymedia.com/2016/05/16/2489/
youtube.com/watch?v=AYfYvYdlxmc
excoradfeminisms.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bell_hooks-feminism_is_for_everybody.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>music journalism is dead.
music journalism isn't dead, but pitchfork is definitely dead. i just wish that more people would realize this

Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success.

>Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success.
this. it's because the purpose of pop music is to sell. the only reason why pop music even became a thing is because of our capitalist society

well rock came out of blues music
folk was never commercially popular until rock

i think the proliferation of music through radio more or less ensured its commercialization, not capitalism. capitalism just ensured its evolution

>he took the scruffy pasta seriously

oh shit

actually was wondering if it was pasta

link it then you fucking mong

>music journalism

Okay...at the risk of being called a shill

basementalitymedia.com/2016/05/16/2489/

Hey Zach!

This attempt at masking an obvious viralling attempt is fucking embarrassing. Take some hints from Will Toledo, man

-Anonymous

but im not. & whos will toledo?

for ppl who actually know things abt music has music journalism ever not been a joke tho

literally what is wrong with viralling

>music journalism
wew

fuck off will

>tfw i really want to get into music journalism
what can i do to make it better lads? is it beyond saving?

so do you honestly expect people to never mention anything theyve created/worked on/been a part of on the internet at all? i dont understand peoples complaints with posting whatever they made be it music, film, any other kind of art form or business venture. with the internet being the future of just about everything media related how do you expect people to completely abstain from using it?

well music "journalism" is just sensationalist articles and reviews that serve to market albums, and not doing either of these will not land you a job on memefork.

leave the guy alone. it's relevant to the discussion

a) Sharing something you've created is one thing. Spamming something under the pretense that you're not the creator but you've just found it and you love it is really fucking obnoxious and Sup Forums kiddies are gullible enough to believe if you do it enough. Basically, it shits up an already shitty board.

b) Fuck off Will

Well what's your dream? To write for something like pitchfork or become the face of it like fantano?

Funniest b8 i've ever seen.

i wasnt even the other posters you were talking too so there's like 3 different wills right now, and my names billy willy not will.

so then the gripe isnt with people posting their stuff on the internet- you have a problem with people specifically posting on 4chans music board. so you also have a problem then with people who enjoy something just because the person who made it told them about it/gave them a way to find out about it? as a fan- whats wrong with enjoying something that you like, and as an artist isnt that a good way to gain fans? i mean even if someone was to viral spam no ones forcing anyone to listen or forcing them to enjoy it either. also it seems pretty autistic to me that you would spend your time on an internet forum that you think is shitty.

mfw a fucking HIGH SCHOOLER made a better, more good album than Chance

>the album is on my soundcloud f a m

>and not doing either of these will not land you a job on memefork.
true, but i'm not interested in a job at memefork. i just want to write about why i think certain music is cool/why i think it sucks. fantano made a name for himself by doing this and he didn't have to sell his soul to some major corporation. sure he sucks now, but in the beginning his videos were pretty cool

i guess become the face of it. but not literally. i just don't want to have to answer to faggots who will tell me to write about social issues and disguise it as music journalism

Agree with this. The people who are so quick to chime in with "SHOO SHOO SHILL" and the likes are arguably worse than the OP in those situations. Like I think everyone understands whats happening, you autistically pointing it our doesnt help anything. Its just annoying

Nah, you misunderstood me. I have a problem with people spamming their work pretending that it's a response from their fans. That's what people like Will did (calling you Will was a joke). OP did this too, assuming that this is his blog.

The problem on Sup Forums is that the people here, for the most part, just follow what's trendy. So if someone sees an album spammed over and over, it starts to become accepted. If an album is really good, it shouldn't have to be shilled like that.

I fucking hate any arbitrary number score but 9.1 was ridiculous. The album was pretty forgettable with a couple of okay tracks surrounded by religious preaching.

Well first of all youre not talking about journalism so much as you're talking about being a reviewer.

Secondly, that's sort of the problem. Pitchfork, at one point, wasn't so shitty (mid 90s). The biggest sites are big because they pander to their marketers and because they engage in that clickbait shit. Even Fantano does that shit now.

If you'd like to be a "sincere" music reviewer, you'd better be happy with getting a second job. Just my opinion.

>sure he sucks now
he doesn't though, nice hivemind

But your problem in your first post seemed to not be that Chance was being spammed but that this website was?

Said the Fantanodrone without a hint of irony.

This isn't about Fantano anyways, so stop getting your panties in a bunch.

>Even Fantano does that
Well yeah. But it's not because he's a sellout. This is literally his job/career that he makes a living out of and his income from. He has to review even the biggest albums because he knows they'll get massive amounts of views.

Uh, I don't know what you're talking about. My first post was with the a), b) stuff. I didn't read the rest of the comment chain and assumed someone was giving OP shit for advertising his blog.

>Fantanodrone
Is that supposed to be a witty insult? You do realise it's possible to find new music from many different sources. Fantano just happens to be one of them friend.

pretending to be a fan i can see, but honestly i have 0 problems with artists posting their stuff. and with an anonymous forum you do pretty much have to assume. 99% of the time you will never really "know" so whats the point of posting about it if you're just guessing anyways? Also i think you might be projecting from somewhere else if you think that the majority of people who enter in this websites url are trend hoppers- some are and some aren't but this is debatable and largely unsolvable so ill just leave that where it is. although when it comes to an album being good enough itll be known already i kinda doubt that. the internet and world in general is a massive, massive place. theres no possible way that everyone can know every good album out there, and there are tons of albums that languish in obscurity for years, some forever that someone out there would enjoy. and if you really care about a board not being shitty, then you would want as many good posts about music as possible and it wouldn't matter where they came from as long as overall good posts increased and overall bad posts decreased.

Oh, I assumed you were the same guy the whole time. But yeah someone gave OP shit for advertising his blog (assuming it's his blog) but like someone else was saying, I don't mind the spamming if it means I get exposed to something that probably has no means of being seen/heard otherwise.

It's "literally" every pitchfork editors job/career as well. I don't really care much about the "selling out" stuff, especially when we're talking about youtube videos, but Fantano definitely did advertise for a few companies and does his own form of clickbait stuff (the anti-SJW stuff is pretty much guaranteed views in the youtube world)

so do you consider this a good post or a bad post?

>You do realise it's possible to find new music from many different sources
I do, one of the reasons why I don't watch Fantano.

I also don't get butthurt about an offhand comment about a youtube vlogger because I don't have autism.

The difference is Pitchfork is a big company with multiple employees. He's one guy doing all the editing, filming, writing, listening etc.

Besides, most of the anti-SJW stuff goes on his "thatistheplan" channel which isn't even verified to make him money. It's not as if he's not entitled to have an opinion on the subject though.

>I also don't get butthurt about an offhand comment
And yet here you are arguing on Sup Forums. The irony.

if you didn't care you wouldn't have replied in the first place "autist".

I just base this on the fact that 99% of posters here know dick all about music, parrot the opinions of pitchfork/anthony/scaruffi and can't discuss music without arbitrarily ranking songs/albums.

>99% of the time you will never really "know"
sometimes it's pretty obvious. to me OP is pretty obvious, Op can claim plausible deniability but I'm not convinced.

Maybe I'd be more sympathetic if OP said it was his article and asked for opinions. Anonymity isn't an excuse for people to be asses (yeah, I know where I am).

>someone had a different opinion than me so they are wrong

Idk man, in this case OP didn't even link the article in question, it was more of a music journalism thread than anything, at least to me.

If OP was guilty of anything, it'd be picking an OP image that he knew would track attention to get replies.

Does he do all the editing on his own? Not saying it isn't true, but it's not uncommon for these youtube channels to actually have a team behind it.

Yes, pitchfork makes more money than him, but my point is let's not act like Anthony is above this all. He does the same kinda stuff pitchfork does and I doubt he's doing it simply because he needs food to put on the table. But again, he's just a youtube entertainer. I'm not holding him to any high standards so I don't care.

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but I can't really take someone seriously who pals around with people like Sargon. Sargon's whole shtick is to find some stuff on tumblr, show it and shout about SJW conspiracies. He's an intellectual lightweight who serves no purpose other than to rile his followers up. Dude makes fucking $1000 per video.

>without arbitrarily ranking songs/albums.
I hate this about music in general. If I like an album I like it. I don't need to slab a number on it or on every single fucking track. That seems to ruin the art aesthetic about it fo rme.

I think it was a thread about two controversial topics, pitchfork and mainstream hip hop. It gets people riled up and the way he worded OP it's inevitable someone would ask which blog.

I don't know, I don't really care.

I'm pretty sure he does all the editing. The only thing I think he might get help with is stuff on his website which his personal friend helps with. He's mentioned it before anyway.

>Sargon
I don't dislike him, in fact I won't lie to you. I used to watch him a lot. But after years of all this social justice garbage I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a huge strawman. That's not to say none of these crazy regressives don't exist, but it's definitely almost a non issue compared to what these YouTube channels make it out to be. And definitely seems to be more of an issue in America than in other countries.

i dont know honestly. im not a fan of chance, only heard a few songs. if i was a fan and i liked that review i would say good, i would probably only say bad if it made me physically ill or upset. what people post here really doesn't make a difference to me- i either like what they post or i keep scrolling. and if i dont like what i see after scrolling ill just leave and come back later.

i dont think that many people know dick- ive been here for 6 years and it just depends whos online. a lot of the time is wasted but also ive had plenty of good discussions and have found a lot of great stuff here that would have been near impossible to find anywhere else. and yeah you're right sometimes its obvious but i would say the majority of times someone virals their stuff its not clearly discernible so it really makes no difference whether they are or they aren't, again its about quality of what they post not whos posting it- this place is anonymous. also i think that you placing yourself in the 1% of people who know more than dick about music is lame and you should take yourself down a notch. and if not then post your taste. like cmon man talking about how much better you are and how everyone else sucks doesnt make anything better- it just makes you look worse

The biggest problem with Sargon is that he is not educated on the topics he's speaking about. There's absolutely no thoughtful commentary put into his videos, just playing up to the cultural marxism conspiracy of his fanbase. His recent appearances on a few "formal" debates went very poorly for him. He came ill prepared, couldn't back up his ideas with evidence, far too hostile and just asked a whole bunch of loaded questions. I'm not a particular fan of his ideas, but he really failed to legitimize himself or his "movement." That's how I feel about his channel. He's not there to educate people, he's there to put a click baity thumbnail and title and feed the viewers paranoia.

you just defined what selling out means

I like chance but I found this album very underwhelming. It has some good tracks but it's kinda dull imo

That's not selling out. Selling out is when you're desperate to do anything to make money ie product placement and blatant shilling.

>I'm not a particular fan of his ideas
Not to start any kind of pointless argument, because I am curious, what sort of ideas do you support?

youtube.com/watch?v=AYfYvYdlxmc

>it's a full minute ad

good god

>sponsor
There's a difference between sponsorship and some trashy low class music tabloid that isn't respected.

>trashy low class music tabloid

What are you referring to?

I wasn't.

Well, he wants "marxism" and "social justice" banned from universities and I'm not convinced he understands exactly what either of these terms mean or what application they have. I have no problem with either marxist or feminist theory because they're just one way to look at the world. To Sargon, the very existence of any of these things is indoctrination. I wouldn't have a problem if he disagreed with feminism, but he's completely unable to look at anything vaguely "leftist" without a kneejerk outright rejection. He also clearly has no idea what Marxism is, just parroting the same old right wing conspiracy about cultural marxists.

It's not even an ideological difference here, it's that the guy never bothers to actually learn about the things he rallies against. That's not something I can respect, and his desire to ban the mention of either marxism or feminism in "universities" is a perfect example of the censorship his type is apparently against.

I've heard he was an atheist channel in the past (?) Maybe those videos are more tolerable, but I can't stand TheAmazingAtheist either so maybe it's just not for me.

Uhhh, those "some trashy low class music tabloid that isn't respected" are using sponorship.

Look I get you're a fantanodrone and he can do no wrong, but he's literally doing the same thing. I'm not even criticizing him here, but he's shilling for this company.

>If you'd like to be a "sincere" music reviewer, you'd better be happy with getting a second job. Just my opinion.
yeah youre right. it just sucks how fucked the system is

Haha I like TJ from The Amazing Atheist. People hate him a lot but he's incredibly self aware. I'd go as far to say that he knows more than Sargon.

I am definitely all for free speech, but be honest, it's not as if feminism and feminist theory is actually relevant in 2016. We reached equal female rights a long time ago. At this point their "fighting" for such menial pointless things it's no wonder people laugh at them and their "cause". Third wave has no definable goals.

>all that bird talk

what the fug is this shit

this format is fucking stupid, jesus christ. what the hell

>fantanodrone
You've got to stop using that made up word if you want to be taken seriously. I simply watch his videos to find new music. There's been many a time where I've disagreed with his opinion. I'd be lucky to watch more than 20 of his videos a year.

honestly its kind of a neat idea to break the review down into "book" sections

I think a big problem with both TJ and Sargon is that they focus exclusively on reactionaries from tumblr or pop "feminist" publications (yes, buzzfeed is trash). Third wave feminism does have definable goals, but Sargon, TJ & co are not in classrooms or reading any serious feminist literature. You were half right when you said "that's not to say none of these crazy regressives don't exist, but it's definitely almost a non issue compared to what these YouTube channels make it out to be."

>I barely watch him but I'll defend his very blatant advertising and spend 30 minutes in a thread talking him up
okay

>Third wave feminism does have definable goals
What are they?

Please don't mention "breaking down stereotypes and breaking down gender roles". These are such bullshit "goals" and are not at all important. I hear these two spouted around a lot. I know it's just my opinion, but it's how I feel.

not talking about fantano but whats with the paranoia about shilling?

neckbeards can't stand the idea that someone might need money to make a stable living

>The Olive-backed thrush is one of the smaller songbirds of North America, but still renowned and ranked as having the most beautiful call. Its song is a delicate twee, often being compared to a soft flute play. Its gentler call has been shown to woo mates and attract the attention of surrounding birds, noted as one of the most uniquely gorgeous coos by ornithologists and fellow birds alike.

yeah you're right OP, this guys are totally gonna sink Pitchfork

Here's a question for you: what modern feminist literature have you read? Have you gotten any information about feminism that did not come from youtube, Sup Forums or reddit?

What would you like me to tell you that isn't immediately going to be dismissed as not "important" and that's "just your opinion?" I'm not trying to be condescending here, but this is a waste of time for both of us.

The point isn't even to argue for or against feminism here, my point is that people like Sargon don't even understand what they're fighting. He even made an arse of himself completely misinterpreting a feminist text recently in one of his "take down" videos.

If you want to be anti-feminist, fine, but at least educate yourself as to what feminists are actually talking about.

He literally starts the video with a minute long advertisement for the company who sponsored him.

This isn't paranoia, it's right there. All you have to do is press play.

I ain't even criticizing the dude, again, I'm fucking pointing out that he does those "nasty" things other websites do.

lol same, but later on the review sort of ties the bird shit to Chance. It's weak though

That's a fair point. The only kind of feminist education I ever really read about was first and second wave about what they were initially fighting for. Which was genuinely interesting. But I feel we as a society have reached a point where women are equally if not more privileged (in some cases) than men.

If you could link me to something that is genuinely interesting and not edgy teenage tumblr girls than I'd be happy to read/watch it.

excoradfeminisms.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bell_hooks-feminism_is_for_everybody.pdf

i wasnt talking specifically about whatever dude you're talking about. i skipped those parts. talking about the shilling meme in general and peoples obsession over advertisement/sponsorship/endorsement etc.

yeah thats what i was guessing when i asked it

Yeah, but you've replied to a post about Fantano literally shilling a service. He shills for the first minute of the video, and people are making ridiculous distinctions (i.e. it's okay that he shills because he's not evil like pitchfork!)

lmao feminists are actually stupid & bell hoods dood are you a cultural marxist ?? o 3rd wave feminist ? ye ur a cultural marxist coont

my post literally said "not talking about him", what dont you understand? you seem pretty worked up mah dude

not the same poster that you were talking to

DUDE CONCEPT REVIEW LMAO

i mean if theyre reading from bell hooks does it really matter

I already started reading and mentions of "pop culture" "institutionalized sexism" had me cringing. I could swear these people walk around with a stick stuck up their arse ready to get offended by anything.

>cultural marxist
fun fact: the "cultural marxist" conspiracy theory originated in nazi germany!

i tried to go as far as i could to catch all the bs n tapped out at patriarchy

Yeah, this poster pretty much said I had no idea what I was talking about but the entire first page is pretty much tumblr buzzwords.

actually its about ethics in music journalism

godwin's law

how new are you

Tumbr: A novel.

From reading about her on Wiki it seems this bitch has copped a fucking huge amount of criticism.

Good job guys! You spent about 30 seconds reading an entry level book and gave up without actually learning what the author is talking about.

You heard some terms used in a book that were also used on tumblr, nice guys. This is about as dumb as rejecting a book because it uses political terms that are misused on reddit.

This is exactly what I was talking about. You have zero desire to actually educate yourself.

This book is fucking everything that is wrong about feminism you brainwashed child.