I have some questions regarding this album

I have some questions regarding this album

Why is it a meme?
Why is it so hated?
Why haven't they made any albums to follow it up?
What that thing on the woman's head?
Why is the bands name Neutral Milk Hotel? It sounds like a randomized Poptropica username

>but until the Lord comes down and He sends us all to hell
>I'll see you in the lobby of the neutral milk hotel!

Seriously Jeff?

1. It's a meme because people spam it.

2. It's hated because people are contrarians who want to look edgy by hating the most popular album on Sup Forums

3. The band broke up, but The Microphones are the spiritual successors of the band.

4. pic related

5. It's Jeff Mangum's label. All the bands on it had dipshit names (looking at, Olivia Tremor Control).

>Why is it a meme?
Because it is quite literally the best pop album since Pet Sounds and has yet to be surpassed.
>Why is it so hated?
Because Sup Forums is full of musical illiterates with hardened hearts.
>Why haven't they made any albums to follow it up?
Jeff Mangum has made quite a bit of quite good music after it actually. But I think they realized they could never make something as brilliant and emotionally evocative as this ever again.
>What that thing on the woman's head?
A potato, anyone who says drum or carnival cutout thing should hang.
>Why is the bands name Neutral Milk Hotel? It sounds like a randomized Poptropica username
Do not question the many mysteries of Jeff Mangum, it will be revealed when he deems us ready.

I never thought of it as a cutout, I always thought it was a drum or tambourine.

Anyone who thinks its a potato is blind there's a fucking partern around the side

It's a meme cause Sup Forums has nothing better to spam. That isn't even some snarky comment about the quality of the album, it's great and nobody has found something much better to shitpost.

It's not really even hated people just don't like to admit it's a good album because they can't enjoy something others enjoy because they're insecure.

Jeff Mangum still makes some material IIRC, he just hasn't released anything under NMH for who knows why. Sure, they probably couldn't follow it up, but they'd still probably put out an album better than most of that year. They're quite talented folks, really.

It's a drum. There's a design on the back of the album where there is a man in a marching band with a drum and they literally took the exact same design of it and added a symbol over it.

Neutral Milk Hotel is just some weird name. It really isn't that big of a deal but maybe people make it such for some reason.

is he super religious or is that just a meme?
>I love you jeeeeessssssuuuuuusss chriiiiiiiisstttttt

this song bugs me. other than that the album is solid once you can get past his really whiny voice.

>Why is it so hated?

it is?

it became a meme because when it came out, it was actually pretty innovative as far as folk music goes. this album is the reason folk rock has seen mainstream success. it kind of reached cult status, which made hipsters love it, which in turn resulted in Sup Forums ironically spamming it over and over just like they do with all the hot shit nowadays.

I think it's a cutout. If you look at the sides it can't be a tambourine because the lines end at the edges and are a little uneven. Also, it just kind of fits it better.

It's a metaphor for hope. He's saying that there's hope in what's happening, and he has hope too because he loves it.

Its a drum, the artist said so himself

NMH has a bunch of unreleased demos, at least a few of them are aruguably better than On Avery Island, the album before this one, their all lo-fi though

it's obviously a cat-shaped cookie cutter with dough in it

>Why is it a meme?
when it trended on Sup Forums it was spam posted for months, and has always been Sup Forumscore since then
>Why is it so hated?
oldfags hate its meme status same as other Sup Forumscore and newfags pretend it's a meme to justify being too pleb to enjoy it
>Why haven't they made any albums to follow it up?
leader went crazy and tried to run away from the spotlight for like 15 years and now he doesn't write new material anymore
>What that thing on the woman's head?
a tambourine/potato
>Why is the bands name Neutral Milk Hotel? It sounds like a randomized Poptropica username
it's probably a random thing Jeff thought of while he was lucid dreaming

>tfw no one posts about ITAOTS anymore
Feels depressing man

beside it being a meme is it actually 'good' music or what?

ITS A DRUM.

as you can see. this is the back cover of the album.

the 6 is because they were a part of the Elephant 6.

---- >>

fun oldfag fact: NMH was a meme on something awful before Sup Forums even existed.

its because its an extremely beloved album by a lot of internet nerds, but virtually unknown outside the internet, which makes it mystifying to outsiders, which leads to jokes about it.

"The thing about me singing about Christ; I’m not saying “I love you Christianity.” I’m not saying “I love all the fucked-up terrible shit that people have done in the name of God.” And I’m not preaching belief in Christ. It’s just expression. I’m just expressing something I might not even understand. It’s a song of confusion, it’s a song of hope, it’s a song that says this whole world is a big dream– and who knows what’s gonna happen."