Do you like politics in your music? If you like a band musically but turn off at their politics do you drop em...

Do you like politics in your music? If you like a band musically but turn off at their politics do you drop em? Should musicians know their place?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zMfZK56OPMM
soundcloud.com/ancientsociety
soundcloud.com/ancientsociety/equal-sign
youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2DcasF2Y4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I prefer if they don't bring up politics too much in their music. I don't care what they say in interviews and such.

im cool with that if they do it right

youtube.com/watch?v=zMfZK56OPMM

link related

young thug has it write. It's not rappers place to discuss politics.

Rappers should just make bangers

I like it when it's not obvious.
It's sort of impossible to avoid songs with politics.

I noticed that most songs with a political theme end up sounding depressing and never really enjoyable to listen too, it'll sound like it's going nowhere.

No, i dislike songs/artists that bring up anything current. In 10 years, what they bring up might not be relevant.

Bands like SOAD just seem edgy now, back in the day when i was an edgy teen however they sounded hardcore badass. Now i just listen to them every now and then mainly for the aggressiveness of the instruments.

>has it write

OK Computer is heavily political.

subtle politics in music is fine, and I'll listen to it if I disagree. Do you not read books that you disagree with?

however, the more propaganda-y it gets the worse.

I like politics when it's cleverly implemented or at least is not shoved in your face, like a barrier to entry if you want to listen to an artist. I don't want to have to subscribe to a movement or be an ideologue in order to enjoy something.

That being said I won't actively look for politics in music.

i like politics when they add another layer to the song emotionally, so for the same reason i generally appreciate lyrics and themes

dumbed down slogan shouting, of course if you can shout along to them, is actually the best way to deliver them

i agree with in that they date the music, but i love when theres a strong sense of what time period or region or milieu the artist comes from in their releases. SOAD are a great example of that, its one of the reasons they remained one of my favorite bands over the years

The main reason I haven't listened to a GYBE album yet is because of their autistic political opinions.

Kinda really turns me off desu.

I wouldn't say it's 'heavily' political.

I still feel like SOAD, RATM, even punk like Dead Kennedys are still relevant. Corruption will exist as long as we do.

I don't know if its just this board but the general sentiment i get is that having a strong political view of any kind is cringy. This makes me sad, its just anti intellectualism really..

Politics in Music is pretty dead in the UK at the moment bar a few bands/artists.
Nothing like it used to be

Great album.

Sleaford Mods make up for it right?

As an australian, i literally cannot think of a band being political right now

I don't really care for the anti-nukes theme at all, but I appreciate the way they are conveying it in the music.

agree. the only bands that seem to be politically charged to me atm (correct me if I'm wrong) are the traditional hardcore bands and indie-hippy-green acts, both of which have always existed and neither have any real influence.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Look at the origins of hip hop, look at artists who influenced hip hop, like Gil Scott Heron, Grandmaster Flash. The intent was to have a mesaage, empower black youth, etc. Personally I blame NWA for ending/convoluting this. Ultimately though, it's up to the musicians to decide what direction they want their genre to go (listen to Mos Def's Fear Not of Man). So anyways really young thug is right because he is a big hip hop artist now, people listen to him, he gets to decide (to an extent) where the genre goes from now
Fuck

And before that, hip-hop was party music.

politics is why i don't listen to rap. they just have to keep blabbing about something all the fucking time because le rap and it's cringy as fuck

POLITICS IS BULLSHIT

>soundcloud.com/ancientsociety

WEED AND FRIENDSHIT FOREVER MAN

No, and I don't care about a musicians personal beliefs either. They shouldn't ever advertise them, this is about entertainment. Not a lecture. I want escapism in my music, not a platform for an artist who gets all their information from mainstream media and has baseline buzzwords & understandings of their topics.

A firm social rally has always been within for people who listen to me being against this kind of thing.

I personally, don't give a shit what you think. I care about what you're bringing to me musically and I want to get joy out of it. Not disagreement and frustration, because I don't get to have a debate with the artist. They stay locked behind the production and come at me through a one way street; a speaker.

It's unsurprising that artists/bands that come with a political message are based in sappy pop/alternative music or shitty punk bands. It doesn't take a genius to come up with a socially driven statement like "Please don't bomb syria."

soundcloud.com/ancientsociety/equal-sign

>WEED AND FRIENDSHIT

>A firm social rally has always been within for people who listen to me being against this kind of thing.
**music

my bad, typo.

yes

youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2DcasF2Y4

stop eating bait you dumb fuck