/AnCo General/

I don't get the hate for this album... Can someone explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=52uQYjfRnXs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bea_Arthur
editions-delcourt.fr/bouletmaton/
youtube.com/watch?v=ObbmZJwFDPI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is Sup Forums we hate everything new because it scares us

They put more effort into some tracks than others, which felt a bit contradictory to what they have displayed in the past

But the good tracks were fucking GOOD

This. It's so fucking uneven that I don't go back to it as much as their other albums. But we I do, the good songs make it worth it.

I've had floridada stuck in my head for days, and I don't care at all

I like the album, my biggest issue is that every track is basically has the same mood outside of Bagels in Kiev (which ended up being my favorite song too)

It's nice and I understand that the idea behind it was constant, overt banging, but that brought to the fore their songwriting/ melodies, which has never been AnCo's strongest suit. There are nice moments but it lacks the depth of other AnCo albums, and the songs aren't quite catchy enough to make up for it. Genuinely pains me to say and I do still like the album and love them as a group.

Sounds too much like 21 pilots

... Dunno if you've ever listened to 21P, but they sound nothing like AnCo

I love it, a real shame that there's a school of thought that seriously thinks it's bad

It was good until the Pitchfork and Fantano review's came out.

p much bruh

m.youtube.com/watch?v=52uQYjfRnXs
I'm really feeling Cuckoo Cuckoo right now.

Do you guys reckon the next two tracks to drop are gonna be the same vibe as this album or a whole new sound? I guess that since they were most likely recorded around the same time as PW that it's gonna be more of the same but I hope not desu

*burp*

play these songs on piano and you'll notice that neither the chord progressions or melodies do anything that interesting. Avey's songs are definitely better though, Floridada is a great pop song and the end of Burglars is the only 10/10 moment on the record.

But really it's just the songwriting wasn't as strong as the stuff on like Strawberry Jam or Water Curses, it's two closest relatives.

too synth and dance oriented, it lakes the sample-based plunderphonic aspect of their earlier releases and is devoid of texture, warmth and fullness that made their past records feel... well like animal collective. This record barely feels like them. its like a stale cutout

I'd argue it's daddy is Centipede Hz and its mommy is PBVSGR.

The fact uncle Deak isn't in the picture makes it turn out wrong.

You're on an anonymous board everything is exaggerated decent albums are utter shit, and good albums are masterpieces

it's alright. avey still writes good songs, but not as many/good enough to hail it as a great album. i think panda is on a decline. FloriDaDa and Burglars are fantastic

It's not as good as Sleep Cycle so people are mad.

are you talking about HoB and GG? if so they are similar

So true but hey we got Sleep Cycle

the overall sound it has feels a little repetitive, I still love it though

It was unbearably white

I'd say the texture and fullness are still there, even though the songs come off as just dancey and synthy after the first few listens, there are a lot of details embedded in the sounds- as per AnCo's style.

It's definitely a lot more sparse, however, and the songs are all too similar, so like if you don't like the childish acid dance party thing going on, then you won't like the record.

I think the homogeneous nature of PW is what makes it so polarizing.

Semi related, is that sampled guy at the beginning of Golden Gal that says "she's upset because they keep changing the taste of coke" the voice actor of Dr. Venture from Venture Bros?

sorry m8

Nah, panda confirmed there are two more tracks to come. Maybe an EP or something

Source?

Hopes for what it might sound like?

>Guy
No en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bea_Arthur

no its from the show Golden Girls

OK, is it me or does this guy on the cover look like Jerry Seinfeld?

Is it normal that I cant get into anything they did after sung tongs?

hcti and st were both god tier albums, but everything they've released after those just doesn't click with me.

What do you think appeals to you so much about those two? The primal, avant-garde arrangements? The atmosphere?

To be very fair, AnCo's sound changes drastically so it's no surprise you don't like all of it.

and the air smells like honey butter when i'm fuckin ya lately god your touches are TIGHT *CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH*

I liked it, but I think the hate for this album comes down to the following:
>No Deak
>Shitloads of hocketting
>Not much reverb or other effects for that matter
>No long ambient sections
>A lot of tracks have similar ideas
Probably their worst album since Hollindagain. I still don't think it's bad though.

usually it's the other way around, people can't get into what they made before Sung Tongs
check out ODDSAC if you haven't already
Strawberry Jam is pretty much the last time they really did anything as out there as their earlier albums, tracks like Cuckoo Cuckoo and #1 are reminiscent of their earlier stuff

Yeah. I loved the raw surreal soundscapes on hcti, and I thought it was genius how easily they translated it to folk music on sung tongs. The things they do with vocals are insane too. I just didn't get any of that in later anco

>worst album since hollinndagain

I like the hocketing too

>Worst album since their best album
???

painting without

Don't get me wrong, I like the first half of Hollindagain, but I found the second half largely quite boring. And I liked Danse Manatee.

oooouh
I could have sworn it was the guy

THE ONE TRUE RANKING (ABRIDGED EDITION)

1. STGSTV
2. HCtI
3. MPP
4. CS
5. Danse
6. Hollinndagain
7. ST
8. SJ
9. Feels
10. PW
11. CHz

Do these look like them? If not, try to make better ones with editions-delcourt.fr/bouletmaton/

Nah

1. MPP
2. Sung Tongs
3. CHz
4. Strawberry Jam
5. Painting With
6. Feels
7. Spirit
8. Here Comes the Indian
9. Hollindagain
10. Campfire Songs
11. Danse

I liked PW but I also did not get into Anco until a year ago. If I was disappointed by CHz and then waited five years for PW to come out I probably would've disliked the album a lot more.

PW has great songs but its not a great album.
I still listen Floridada, Lying in the Grass, and Golden Gal all the time, but I never play the LP I bought

1. Hollinndagain
2. HCTI
3. STGSTV
4. ST
5. SJ
6. MPP
7. Feels
8. CS
9. Danse
10. PW
11. CHz

Lmao. Nice Deakin

I did a panda too

Panda Bear dropped the ball on Painting With. Should have just made a solid EP out of all the Avey songs.

Am I the only one who likes this more than Sleep Cycle? Not that they should really even be compared, I just found this record to be far more forward thinking

I think your the first person to use am I the only one and actually be the only one

Lying in the Grass is really good, it just would've fit better on PBVTGR. Definitely seems like he put more effort into that

Why do you think PW is more forward thinking?

Personally I like SC a lot more, but I want to hear your perspective

1. SJ
2. HCTI
3. MPP
4. Feels
5. STGSTV
6. PW
7. ST
8. CS
9. CHz
10. Danse
11. Hollinnd

I love both don't get me wrong, but Sleep Cycle is incredibly reminiscent of older Anco material to the point where I don't think he's found his own voice yet. Painting With, alternatively, sounds nothing like animal collective. That's why a lot of people hate it, but I like when bands don't stick to the same old ideas. It gets boring (beach house).

yeah this but everyone's entitled to their opinion

Holy shit this is so terrible

I like PW more too, although just by a little

yeah its not a wide margin, SC is like a 7 for me while PW is an 8

swap STGSTV with HCTI and you're golden

Basically every other song on the album is absolutely horrible. There are some good songs on there but absolutely no consistency. There isn't one good three track run on that album because Panda's songs always fuck it up. Ideally, it should have been an EP consisting of just Avey's songs and maybe Hocus Pocus, but it had been almost four years since the last Animal Collective album so they had to rush it. I think they weren't ready to make another album yet, and I still think they should re-access their capabilities and go at it from a more natural angle before they tackle another album in five years.
Then how come I liked Sleep Cycle?

1. Feels
2. Here Comes the Indian
3. Campfire Songs
4. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
5. Sung Tongs
6. Merriweather Post Pavilion
7. Strawberry Jam
8. Hollinndagain
9. Danse Manatee
10. Painting With
11. Centipede Hz

I know you'll disagree, but it is what I believe to be the truth.

>here for awhile i will follow my golden gal

This may sound like an overstatement but Sleep Cycle is legitimately my favorite album of the decade so far and I'm really upset that it didn't get a proper release.

tfw when anco and autechre threads are the most civil on Sup Forums

Yeah I agree, every time I listen to Hollindagain I think how cool the first two tracks are and then by the end of the album I practically forget I was listening

The first 4 tracks are perfect then two decent and the ending is pretty strong

yeah, I just sorta lose it at Tell It To The Mountain
I think the album was recorded in two different halves but I don't remember where the break is

by TITTM**

>proper release
Well it's out there

I think it's more that he was just creatively strapped after PBVSGR. It's the same story as Centipede HZ, except the PBVSGR had a lot more songs, and he was forced to have an active role in PW because of the style they were going for.

meant to say PBVSGR era, so all the other stuff released around the album. The EPs have another 7 songs and they were a lot of ideas strewn about on the mixes he released.

Why do people like PBVSGR? It's by far his worst solo

Where should I shart with this band?

good post. the album is OK but you can't seriously say it compares to old stuff

and burglars is indeed the clear standout

this

one of their middle releases probably
Merriweather Post Pavilion is debatably their best and probably their most accessible, that's where I started and it's my favorite album to this day. Also a very summertime album so it's good to listen to now.
I'd say your other two best options would be Strawberry Jam and Feels. Strawberry Jam is probably their closest album to typical rock, so if that's your thing then it could be good. Feels is sort of a big blend of their rock stuff and folk stuff. It's full of songs about love and relationships, so that might be good for you or might not.

I'd say take one of those three albums. Sup Forums also loves STGSTV, but it's somewhat grating and inaccessible, so I wouldn't start there.

Do it chronologically if you want to go on a journey, but if you want the best anco has to offer listen to Strawberry Jam and Feels. Every release is so different, though, so if you don't like those don't let it discourage you from trying others.

I think I like it more as well.

People will often say MPP because it was the most popular and 'radio accessible', but I don't think it's very representative of their sound.

This guy
Has a good idea. If you like the electronic stuff on Strawberry Jam, move on to MPP, Centipede Hz, and Painting With. If you like the acoustic stuff on Feels, listen to Sung Tongs and Campfire Songs.

If you liked the longer, more abstract, and more abrasive material on all of those, check out Spirit, Danse, and HCTI.

I'd save ODDSAC for last because it blends all of their sounds up until that point. And remember to always check out the EP after the album you're listening to, because it will always sound like an extension of what they were doing on the main album.

Fall Be Kind EP

thanks for the shoutout user
this is a more comprehensive version of what I was getting at, well done

I don't hate it, but I don't think it's very good. The rest of the band's catalog is incredible, so it just seems worse by comparison.

I started with Spirit. Sung Tongs might be a nice place to start though. It honestly doesn't really matter that much. I would suggest trying a couple albums before giving up though.

Hey guys. Can you folks let me know how I did with this Purple Bottle cover?

youtube.com/watch?v=ObbmZJwFDPI

I would very much like some opinions. Thanks

Okay kids.

1. ODDSAC
2. MPP
3. Sung Tongs
4. Feels
5. Spirit
6. Campfire Songs
7. CHZ
8. HCTI
9. Hollinndagain
10. Strawberry Jam
11. Painting With
12. Danse

Also I think Danse is fucking fantastic, just just so happens to be my least favourite.

HES BACK

Jokes aside, you need to make more originals. You've got a ton of potential, don't waste it all on AnCo covers.

Do you have a condition of a very big head and little body?

I never left user
Yeah but my music is so much less good
it's the angle :( I have really bad posture so my head leans forward

>it's the angle :( I have really bad posture so my head leans forward
didn't mean to be so rude bro