Sgt. Peppers Discussion Thread

Explain your love or hate or general feelings on this record. Its not my favorite, and i feel that this record isn't as amazing and out there as people claim it to be. Revolver was sound wise more interesting and diverse, and i like the song writing on that record more. Though, the production with the tape loops and tiny details on this record is really impressive.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aGlpy5pgQW8?t=48s
youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=1m17s
youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=4m19s
youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=jDm2soD0UFE
youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=2m15s
youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=3m48s
youtu.be/SL68EXJEAPs?t=1m55s
youtube.com/watch?v=_I-ThafU1e4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>best
A Day in the Life
>runner-up
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
>worst
Sgt. Pepper's Reprise
>overrated
Lucy in the Sky
>underrated
She's Leaving Home

this

>best
Good Morning Good Morning
>runner-up
For The Benifit of Mr Kite!
>worst
Getting Better
>overrated
Lucy in the Sky
>underrated
She's Leaving Home

>best
She's Leaving Home
>runner-up
With A Little Help From My Friends
>worst
>overrated
A Day in the Life
>underrated
With a Little Help From My Friends

I don't really dislike any songs off this album. Good Morning Good Morning and Within You Without You are the weak links. The Beatles had many better albums (and the Beatles solo as well).

I just feel like the album's pop melodies are more syrupy than all of their other albums here. Not a lot of emotional depth when compared with Abbey Road, Let It Be, Help!, and Revolver.

>best
She's Leaving Home
>runner-up
Getting Better
>worst
>overrated
With a Little Help From My Friends
>underrated
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

I feel the mono version is superior to the stereo version.

I agree, A Day In The Life really saved its ass

>best
Within You Without You
>runner-up
She's Leaving Home
>worst
Lovely Rita
>overrated
A Day in the Life
>underrated
When I'm 64

Pretty much. I prefer Paul's verse to John's too. I'm not apologizing for that shit either.

It's the perfect album imo

It's just not very interesting at all. Quite dull and sounds very dated.

> (OP)
>I don't really dislike any songs off this album. Good Morning Good Morning and Within You Without You are the weak links. The Beatles had many better albums (and the Beatles solo as well).
>I just feel like the album's pop melodies are more syrupy than all of their other albums here. Not a lot of emotional depth when compared with Abbey Road, Let It Be, Help!, and Revolver.

Help? That album had no emotional depth.

My favorite album as a kid, I used to listen to it on vinyl because my parents had it, along with all the cardboard cutouts and stuff that came with it. I would lay down on the floor with my ear next to the stereo speaker like it was a single giant headphone. My favorite track for some reason was always Good Morning.

>best
A Day In The Life
>runner-up
She's Leaving Home
>worst
Sgt. Pepper's Reprise
>overrated
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
>underrated
Within You Without You

Their magnum opus imo, you can make a case for revolver too, as it had arguably better song writing and has also aged a lot better. But this is my personal favourite as i love the production and how grandiose and cohesive it is.

Said they guy who has never listened to Help!

A Day in the Life is one of the greatest pop songs ever written

>Best
A Day in the Life
>runner-up
Getting Better
>worst
When I'm Sixty-Four
>overrated
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
>underrated
With You Without You

>best
A Day in the Life
>runner-up
Lovely Rita
>worst
Fixing a Hole
>overrated
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
>underrated
She's Leaving Home

true, I have both and the mono is so much better.

if I had to choose one Beatles record, it'd be the Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out single - it's like the entire project in miniature to me

lonerism is the sgt pepper of this generation

example:
(copy and paste into url, or skip to 0:48)

youtu.be/aGlpy5pgQW8?t=48s

the way he sings 'she', compared to the way kevin parker sings the line "soon i'll be alone" from this this song: (copy paste or skip to around 1:17)

youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=1m17s

also, in that same song keep on lying, the guitar riff here: (skip to 4:19 if embed)

youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=4m19s

reminds me of the opening riff on this beatles song:

youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

and the main guitar riff reminds me of the lick from day tripper

youtube.com/watch?v=jDm2soD0UFE

right around 2:15

youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=2m15s

one more thing, the guitar solo at 3:48 on Keep On Lying reminds me a lot of david gilmour's guitar noodling on the live version of saucerful of secrets around 1:55

youtu.be/gE5bD54-ewg?t=3m48s

youtu.be/SL68EXJEAPs?t=1m55s

>>best
>A Day in the Life
>>runner-up
>Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
>>worst
>Within You Without you
>>overrated
>A Day in the Life
>>underrated
>sgt Pepper Lonely hearts club band

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>Best
A Day in the Life
>Runner-up
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band / With A Little Help From My Friends
>Worst
>Overrated
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
>Underrated
Getting Better

Overall I would rank Sgt Peppers in the tier just below Abbey, White, Revolver, Rubber and MMT. It's about the same quality as Let It Be in my opinion, which is still very favourable, it's just not quite at the level of some of their other records for me. Of course an immensely important album though and I still thoroughly enjoy it.

Not at all

It's a bunch of catchy pop songs made to accompany their light-hearted comedy movie. Nothing more.

sgt pepper and its surrounding cult sum up in microcosm the reasons why the 60s counterculture ended up such a total failure

youtube.com/watch?v=_I-ThafU1e4

>Revolver was sound wise more interesting and diverse
Stop this meme. This is clearly not true.

It's really good, but I prefer Magical Mystery Tour.

Based Harrison

I never got into the beatles personal lives, was he the most based one?

Pretty much, though he did get cucked hard by Eric Clapton.

Well, he had a JUST period in the 70s after his divorce. Also, he was always looking for Lennon's approval, but he never really gained his respect. Besides that he was pretty based.

its not how hard you get cucked... but how you come back from being cucked

i will always permit a man one chance to recover from a cucking... but if he becomes a cuck again... he is cuck forever

kinda the same thought, if he learnt that respect is valueless than he is based, but if he wanted to get the respect of a cuck idiot, then he is not based

let it be said, amen

One of my fav albums of all time.
"getting better"is the shit when I feel depressed.

literal wife beater music

Yes, because surely he never cheated on Pattie.

yeah that shit always pissed me off. also is "Run For Your Life" a joke?

I never said he didn't.

I don't think it's meant literally but I also don't think it's meant as joke.

He was also cucked by Ron Wood. Harrison cucked Ringo though.

fuck you if you don't think the Beatles pushed every envelope when it comes to production

hello newfriend

>Title track is a literal cry for help
>I Need You
>The Night Before
>Ticket To Ride
>You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
>I've Just Seen a Face
>Tell Me What You See
>Yesterday

>no emotional depth

>Revolver was sound wise more interesting and diverse
That's odd because I think the opposite is true. Sgt Pepper had a multicolored sound and each song had it's own unique sound. Revolver was more uniform.

One of my favorite albums of all time, really puts me in a good mood, I discovered that and Trout Mask Replica at the same time and that was a big moment for my interests in music and the arts. I luv it.