Why should I get into vinyl?

Why should I get into vinyl?

I've seen a bunch of turntable setups on Sup Forums and the idea of collecting vinyl does sound pretty cool, but I'm not fully ready to spend hundreds on a turntable, speakers and an amp. Can anyone convince me?

In a digital age it's nice to have something physical

If you dont want to spend money, do not get into vinyl. If you like have physical copies of your favorite albums or discover new ones and are willing to spend the money/hours looking for them, go ahead.

>Why should I get into vinyl?

hipster scum?

why are you posting pictures of leonard cohen?

seemed appropriate

waste of money

Don't do it, man. If you need convincing, then it is not for you.

as someone who has +100 of records I can tell you that it is a very inconvenient hobby. records aren't cheap, you need to get educated before you purchase equipment, turntables need maintenance, plus your set up and collection are not very mobile. I just like the idea that each of these pieces of vinyl has a unique engraving of sound waves that plays a unique sound in this complicated machine, plus they come with huge packages and artwork.

bcus it's cool B)

I agree, it's one of the reasons I'm planning on buying my first turntable.

I'm like 95% convinced, but I'm just worried that I'm going to do something wrong like buy a turntable that's actually terrible (I know that LP120's are supposedly awesome but they cost $500 in Straya), and I don't know which ones to avoid and which ones are good.

I'm prepared for all the inconveniences that come with vinyl, all I need to do is make a bit more space in my bedroom and I'm all set.

It's nice going through thrift stores and garage sales and finding a gem.

>commodity fetishism
This, Op. This is the only reason.

Do you have a desperate need to feel like a special snowflake that also "fits in" with all of the other special snowflakes on Sup Forums?

If so, you should start collecting vinyl.

It's like heroin, you'll spend all your money to buy records, be broke, make money, buy more records...

Do you use turntables to mix and scratch or only to listen to records?

No. The only acceptible reason to get into vinyl is if you intend to dj them. I've spent so much money on fucking Animal Collective records and I haven't listened to them in years.

DJing is the only practical use for vinyl.

You don't even have speakers? What the fuck?

What happened to Sup Forums? Jesus christ.

>I'm too lazy to spin a piece of plastic
That sounds like your problem, not anyone else's.

>judging people based on their possessions

I still can't put into words accurately why I got into collecting vinyl, it's hard to explain, but I think it's definitely a different kind of experience than to listening to music digitally, it's really satisfying and fulfilling to buy and play records you like too. It's just verrrryyyy nice, I love to put on a record and drink hot chocolate or just stare at the ceiling in the dark and zone out for a bit. The actual collecting aspect is fun too. It's fun to grow your collection, get coloured or rare vinyls, box sets, limited editions etc etc.
But yeah it's very expensive. Especially here in Australia where you'll struggle to find a record under $35 anywhere

just to listen to them

How can you even say you're listening to music properly when you're likely plugging a pair of cheap headphones straight into a built-in jack? No decent DAC, no good drivers, probably streaming or listening to poorly encoded, pirated MP3s.

I shudder to think that this describes most of the people I talk to here. You're missing so much, especially when you don't even buy music. That's directly cutting out at least 50% of what the artist had to say. Let alone the fact you aren't even hearing it properly.

>No decent DAC, no good drivers, probably streaming or listening to poorly encoded, pirated MP3s.

get your placebo shit outta here

>audiophile
kys
>You're missing so much, especially when you don't even buy music.
>especially when you don't even buy music
wut?

320 kbps and $100 headphones get you pretty high. high cost equipment might improve the sound but not by much

well someone fell for the placebo meme

>placebo
Listen to my Klipsch speakers and say that again, you ignorant faggot. Flawlessly, every time someone has heard music on them they've been blown away.

It's not even about being an audiophile. It is exactly the same as VHS vs. Blu-Ray.

You're also pretty ignorant about art if you think that enormous statements can't be made by the way you package and present your music. The images, text and physicality surrounding your music can vastly change how you interpret it.

What are you gay?

Stop embarassing everyone on here who owns a pair of Kilpsch speakers. That includes me

You can't even compare headphone listening to proper hi-fi speakers or studio monitors. It's completely different and infinitely superior actually having cones that move the air you're standing or sitting in.

I pity this board. You're not even aware of the full potential of music.

>It is exactly the same as VHS vs. Blu-Ray
exactly. so kys.
>The images, text and physicality surrounding your music can vastly change how you interpret it.
well if you're an idiot who cares more about being a consumer than a music listener

>hurr consumerism
Way to totally miss the point. I'm not even sure you read what I said.

Music as an artistic practice is much more than just sound. The context surrounding it is crucial, in every possible way.

the cringe, it's physically painful

How old are you?

What I'm saying isn't even artsy bullshit. It's basic musicology.

>Music as an artistic practice is much more than just sound. It's about waifuing, marketing, feeling superior based on tastes, and pretending that music you don't like sonically is bad politically and vice versa.

>How old are you?
>It's basic musicology.
Yeah, that's what musicologists do. Discuss the physical texture of album covers.

I believe you user I just dont have the money to invest into something like that.

Yep. Hence why most people here are teenagers/early 20s who don't actually care about music beyond using it as an online social tool.

OP here. As a fellow Aussie, how many of my own organs should I expect to be selling on the black market to support my eventual vinyl addiction?

If you're smart, don't mind 2nd hand, and you don't buy new releases/popular reissues, it shouldn't be too expensive. I collect records and live in Australia, and I tend to roughly break even by reselling about half the stuff I find at second hand stores/op shops online.

Don't be a prick. You know what I'm talking about.

You are genuinely ignorant if you don't think cover art, inserts, track titles, attached writings etc aren't important to how you interpret what you're hearing. Kid A for example would be a totally different record if the cover was just a skull, or packaged in exclusively a glass box, for example.

>Brahm's first would be completely different if it was printed on glossy paper.

>Listen to my Klipsch speakers and say that again, you ignorant faggot. Flawlessly, every time someone has heard music on them they've been blown away.

Blown away by how pretentious you can be when there's literally no difference besides the bitrate

Now you're just being facetious.

AMSP's shitty title and unfitting cover art doesn't stop it from being a very solid album

>there's no different between circuitry, cabinet design, driver design, crossover, signal path, how it's amplified, room acoustics
haah waaw

How do you even live music?
>wanna see this band?
>nah, I haven't seen the poster, so I'd be missing out on the full experience

>judging a book by its cover

lel

placebo

Please fuck off

Live music is a different world entirely. I'm talking about distribution/dessimination of recordings.

But the same - sort of - applies. A show would be very different if the band were projecting visuals of 9/11 newspaper clippings.

The album was shit and Radiohead are dull as fuck. But to use AMSP as an example, you can't tell me you listened to Burn The Witch without visualising and considering the video. Think about that.

I listened to Burn The Witch without visualising and considering the video.

t.blindfag

You're going to need money. Lots of money.
Vinyl is expensive and a good turntable setup is expensive.

Also if you're interested because it's "cool", your not really interested for the right reasons. Vinyl and other analog mediums are amazing to experience, warm and clear, eliminating any harshness or fatigue you might get from listening to the same mp3/flac for the millionth time. Some people take that as a load of bs, I hail it as truth, depends on the person...

lol look at this huge faggot

I might get a turntable, amp and speakers from Cash Converters, Gumtree or some shit. Which brands and models should I seek out and which should I avoid? What should I look for in a turntable and amp?

>he doesn't like AMSP

Wew lad

vinyl is a meme. seriously, you're paying top money for outdated equipment that should have hit the trash dump a long time ago. but the higher ups in the industry made people think the washed out and muddy sounds are good, somehow, and now dumbasses pay way too much money on old, rickety hardware that requires regular maintenance just to produce a sound that is wastly inferiour to anything else on the market.
there is a reason everyone switched to regular CDs and digital files.

Is this a new meme?

The Clearaudio Emotion is a good starter turntable. Don't get a substandard turntable just because it is cheap. You will have to pay a bit for a decent one.

>there is a reason everyone switched to regular CDs and digital files.
Mostly because it's more convenient, normies don't care about the better quality

the "quality" you hear with vinyl is the sound of outdated bullshit. vinyl doesn't have better soundquality than any .flac or most other digital files.

I was referring to cd/digital m8

What the fuck? They're $3000!

You should only get into vinyl these days if there's vinyl-only releases, or better original masterings on vinyl that you really want to own.

Vinyl was great when it was 1/2 the price of a CD new, and the used market was $1-5 for almost everything. Now, record prices have gotten crazy.

BE DIFFERENT, BE A VINYL GIRRRRRRRRL XDD

TURN THAT ISO UP TO MAX

#CROSLEY #DIFFERENT

Kys

wut

Really? If I remember correctly, I paid ~$1000 CAD for mine, back in 2010. It was the demo model, so it was discounted.

If you are buying online, make sure to find out if the seller is the original owner, otherwise it could be damaged.

Technics is a good cheap brand for turntables. I think pretty much every technics TT is decent at worst so you can't go wrong. Make sure your TT has anti-skate, a counterweight and it isn't p-mount (they're a huge hassle).
For amps, look for technics, denon, yamaha, onkyo, pioneer and marantz (these are ordered in ascending quality). There are a ton of amps out there, but these brands are generally the most reliable. Just make sure to check the impedance and that it has a preamp.

Its very hard to recommend speakers, because there are a lot of good brands, particularly vintage ones. Just make sure you get a 2.0 channel system. Anything higher than that usually isn't any good for a turntable setup, since the majority of records only support 2 channels (you don't need a sub-woofer either).

Just in general, google any brands you find. There's always someone talking about it or a manual uploaded on a site. Most good vintage stuff is during the 70's and under. There are a lot of decent 80's equipment, but its a mixed bag; even more so in the 90's.

>belt
>no pitch control
lol

Belt drive is superior.

lol what a fucking pleb

Yep, belt is better unless you get a 1200. Easier to repair too.

That's still too fucking much! I could just get the LP120 for half that..

>m-muh audiophile rubber band
quartz-locked linear feedback direct drive 4 lyfe nigga

Post recent cops r8/h8

nah nobody appreciates garridge

Haven't bought a vinyl record since 2011. About to get back into it, hope the prices haven't gone through the roof.

You'll be out of luck then, I live in Aus and we get hit with exchange rates and everyone overpricing on the recent record hype

Wow holy fucking shit the people on this board are so autistic. Reading you disregard basic concepts of how music works is making me lose faith in humanity.

If you have $500-1000 to spend on vinyl and a nice listening setup, you have more than enough money to buy a nice pair of speakers, at the very least, to use for listening. Headphones are nice - if they're nice headphones - but as someone has already said, listening to music being played through larger speakers in an open room is drastically different. The way the air is being manipulated is entirely different compared to how tiny speakers pointing directly into a closed 2.5cm tube works.

Christ, educate yourselves just a little bit. I promise it will make your life better.

If you need to be convinced there is no point to it. It's nice to collect music and the experience of playing the records from a turntable is nice.

I kind of suspected this was the case and now it's confirmed. :(

MODS

t. fell for the meme

Being an ignorant millennial is a meme. Come on, being uneducated is not cool.

Hi!
When I was kid I listened to all of my favorite albums on vinyl so it's really nostalgic to me, but maybe not for you because you didn't grow up with it.
Best wishes from Steven Anderson

PS: I'm borrowing my son's www.Sup Forums.org account, he left this page open and I'm going through his computer, I hope that writing my name in the namebox will help you see that I'm not him.

>how music works is making me lose faith in humanity.
The irony here is astounding

bait

Do you also think the moon landings were faked? The earth is hollow?

What other basic scientific concepts do you ignore?

You talk a lot of shit while not really knowing what your talking about. Stop that

That's Bruce Springsteen idiot

>not being an audiophile means believing stupid conspiracy theories
You realize most people who don't believe the moon landing was fake also weren't audiophiles?

you shouldn't. it's a ripoff.

Do you or do you not understand that listening to music over nice speakers is entirely different than listening to music with headphones?

Do you or do you not understand that should kill himself.

Will things ever go back to the way they used to be

>chases perfection while everyone else just enjoys it without needing it to be absolutely perfect
>everyone else is autistic

is it too late