Pyramid of Taste

Don't argue about the pyramid just circle the genres you like and argue about that

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Complexity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleatoricism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post the original then you numpty

Type-V is non-existent until someone can describe each genre and provide examples of them

I love how all the genres on type V look made up on the spot.
"new complexity", "aleatoricism" AHAHAHA

woah this guy doesn't like ANY music
what are you even doing here

What does this make me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Complexity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleatoricism

use google, will you?

The top two tiers are complete nonsense. And yes, I did try to find examples of all of them.

Sonorism is polish experimental music from the 50s-60s that focuses on more mathematical approach to composition with more interesting timbre from each instrument. Most notable composer would be Pendereski.

Aleotoricism is generally any indeterminate or none linear piece of music, just look at Cage and Stockhausen.

Stockhasticism is similar to the above but coined by Xenakis, way more mathematical and often uses computers to generate the scores.

Interdeterminacy, see aleotoricism but slightly less random, you might have several set parts to play, but you can play them whenever and however. Again, listen to cage or Ives.

New complexity is a great, the most notable composer would be Brian Fernyhough who writes wonderfully complex music that takes huge amounts of time to learn. I once heard it described as delicately drawing a scribble and is often used as an example of why experimental music is rubbish by plebs for plebs.

Xenharmonicism is a massively over the top fancy way of saying microtonal music. This has to be my favorite of the top three or four bands on this pyramid though. Just so much to explore, try Wyschnegradskys piano sonatas or for something more modern, search for a guy called sevish.

Generative Electronics was coined by Eno and is really just software that you put in a few perimeters and press play, you will never hear the same thing twice and it should last for ever.

You should have sensed the theme that a lot of these are just fanciful ways of saying something much easier to make TYPE-V look super impressive and intimidating, the middle three are practically the same thing. I would recommend digging into new complexity and microtonal music though.

You obviously didn't or at least didnt try hard enough.

Updated after this explanation I realized I've played Pendereski and Cage pieces in orchestras before. Searching for these terms online seems to bring out the worst amateur examples.

Thanks user - I'm genuinely surprised that someone would be so well read about it

Here's some Reddit gold for you, good sir :^)

Ha, cheers. I don't know why I keep coming back here to be honest. Nothing above type-III really gets discussed.

So this is what happened when Bach wrote every single chord progression and harmony we know huh.

hampus hmu

stochastic and aleatoric mean the same thing btw

Also I'm right in thinking that microsound is a very short sound less than a millisecond in length right? Not a whole genre of music.

He didn't though. His way of writing fugues was pretty limited, guys like Reicha went far beyond what Bach did.

Bach only wrote diatonic music, albeit with plenty of chromaticism. Gesualdo was doing far more interesting things harmonically some 100+ years earlier. Once tonality went out of fashion academically in the 1900s, people discovered new ways of arranging pitch and atonality created even newer chords that bach would never have dreamed of.

Spectralism went even beyond this, adding microtonal overtone series and recreating sounds using spectrographic analysis and re-pitching them for an orchestra.

Also lets remember that the tiers dont mean shit and hampus just pulled everything out of his ass, arranged it how he wanted. There is no rhyme or reason.

The first sonorist was Varese. And sonorism is the idea that any sound can be music.

Penderecki used that idea, but he was very very late to the scene.

>Generative Electronics was coined by Eno and is really just software that you put in a few perimeters and press play, you will never hear the same thing twice and it should last for ever.
Patrician music = meme music

I never said anything about the quality of these top genres, I just explained what they were.

for the mems

For the memes

my cool taste

Just crossed out what I dislike since it's easier

if i have to listen to pretenitious shit to be "patrician" i'd rather be a pleb