This is the oldest hip hop album that doesn't sound dated

this is the oldest hip hop album that doesn't sound dated

prove me wrong

Caring whether or not something sounds dated is fucking retarded and every time I see it used as a criticism I want to punch the moron responsible

Not only that but this album DOES sound dated, it's literally as 2004 as it gets. Mainly because it was a massive trendsetter and influence on that whole era.

Shit thread all round OP

But the best albums from the past always sound completely of their time, that's part of their magic; they couldn't have been made at any other point in musical history. Although to me the earliest hip hop album I'd call legitimately timeless is Illmatic, or maybe The Low End Theory. But then I'm as biased as anybody, I'm a golden era fag, what do I know?

2001 has barely aged. And the college dropout definitely shows its age, late registration sounds way fresher

TLET is incredibly early 90s (and as you said, there's nothing wrong with that)

>prove me wrong
pic related

This sounds like 90's boom bap no doubt, but dj premier's production is so clean the whole thing is timeless

Seconding both of these, 36 Chambers particularly has such an energy and rawness about it that genuinely doesn't seem to be lost on younger generations of hip hop listeners

Illmatic

agreed. Illmatic SHOULD be timeless, but it seems like at least half of the time I show it to someone around my age (late teens) they say that it's boring

13 aint late teens user

Aquemini came out in 98 and doesnt sound a day old

>Illmatic SHOULD be timeless
why? and it is fuking boring

In terms of sound quality, this is the best produced rap album of all time

I really wish this was accurate
I think a lot of people today have just come to expect a less laid back approach in hip hop. That's why Wu Tang resonates more with people today imo because there are beats like Method Man and WTCANTFW where the base is more out there and almost dance-y to an extent. I think less musically inclined people have begun to think of rap in a different way, and somehow it doesn't translate to Illmatic.
That's the only way I can think to justify it. That album is far too good for people who claim to like rap to call it boring

>it is fuking boring
do you find all 90s east coast hip hop to be this way?
do you prefer young thug and bangers?
do you prefer oversaturated gangster rap?
I'm looking for some reasons that you could say this and it not be b8

Underage detected
I guess if it doesn't have the DJ Mustard branded 'HEY' every beat it must be boring.

>Disregarding the lyrical content
>Disregarding the amazing production

Negro nekro necros

Liquid Swords.jpg

The Infamous doesn't sound dated desu

Lmao nigga 36 chambers liquid swords low-end theory lmao

MBDTF and GKMC already sound dated.

>This is what black people sound like to white bois

Literally as 90's hip hop sounding as possible. It doesn't sound horrible, in fact I love the album, but you literally could not have picked a worse example.

this album is made up from songs older than it, it sounded dated on release

>Butthurt that his favorite albums are dated.

Well. It's not now.

>Trap, gangster rap, and 90s east coast hip-hop are all that exist.
C'mon man, there is plenty of exciting hip-hop that isn't mindless Bangers.

This

Remove the vocals and it sounds like a bunch of 70s funk loops with synthesizers thrown over it.

memphis rap is a thing of its own for sure, not a matter of time so much as place. but as much as I want to agree, it sounds of its time simply because no one's making decent memphis rap anymore

honestly most albums itt are less dated than kanye though

everything before exmilitary sounds dated. get with the times.

Aquemini is way older than it.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back still sounds fantastic

this sounded dated as shit until the tail end of the 2000's when memerap blew up

there was a time for a solid 10 years after mystic stylez came out where nobody listened to memphis rap except for memphis residents. three 6 mafia had to completely change their style to gain mainstream success

Digable planets bruv

desu

>1994