Animal Collective

Kinda want to get into them? Where do I start? What's worth listening too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e2XmdvJcUcw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Painting With is their only good album, start with that and skip the rest

Start with MPP and do whatever you want.

Just keep in mind that every album after MPP so far has been mediocre and their first album "Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished" was their greatest work. It is also one of their less accessible albums so you may want to work up to that one.

Start with MPP and Painting With. If you enjoyed it listen to Strawberry Jam, Centipede Hz, and Feels. If you like folk then listen to Sung Tongs and Campfire Songs. If you like more abrasive stuff, then listen to STGSTV, Danse Manatee, and HCTI.

Fuck that stupid bitch painting with is garbage start with strawberry jam and sung tongs

I will say though along with this I only put painting with at the top because it's easily their most accessible work. It's definitely not representative of their other work.

start with MPP and go backwards through their discography. if u like all of it then listen to the rest

Feels-->Strawberry Jam-->MPP is their golden era and best albums

Start with Merriweather Post Pavilion, Feels, Strawberry Jam and Sung Tongs. If you don't enjoy one of the albums, just skip to the next one, they're extremely different from each other.

Then check out their other stuff.

Well what genres do you like now? There's many different starting points. Most people will tell you just start with MPP, but if you're not really into more poppy stuff, you probably won't like it.

Really into Death Grips and James Blake now. Don't mind pop.

How is their older stuff compared to the newer?

then listen to STGSTV

It's different. Why don't you just give it a listen and see for yourself?

listen to sung tongs and then check out the rest except Danse Manatee. listen to Danse only after you've became a big fan of their harsh sounds on stgstv

I mos def will.

I know this is bate, but for anyone who doesn't know, everything they've done following ODDSAC has been unnecessary and only taints their legacy. If you don't like anything they did from 2000 through 2010 then you just don't like Animal Collective because that was their era, the 2010's aren't. Their story really ended with Merriweather Post Pavilion, and ODDSAC was a sort of last hurrah.

if you like pop/rock music, listen to feels and mpp and go from there

if you like experimental/soundscape avant shit, listen to sung tongs and spirit they're gone and then listen to everything in between

this

this is not a good chart

Everyone that's saying to start with MPP are fucking retarded. Yeah it's their most poppy sounding album, but it makes no sense in context of the band. Start first with these:

Sung Tongs->Feels->Strawberry Jam->Merriweather Post Pavilion

These set of albums are what AnCo are most well known for. By doing this order you'll not only appreciate each of the albums that came out before MPP for what they did, but also appreciate MPP more for kinda being an amalgamation of the previous albums. Otherwise, if starting with MPP people kinda lose the appreciation for it.

After that check out Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. Granted that they have other albums that have folky bits to them, this one feels more like the kinda weird but cool folk you see in albums like Niandra Lades or Mount Eerie than the more psychedelic work AnCo's known for.

These are the five AnCo essentials. After this, the Fall Be Kind EP is great if you want a nice quick pop piece from these guys. Nice samples.

Panda Bear released solo the album Person Pitch which many people often think is the best AnCo related work. Cool tribal minimalist stuff.

ODDSAC is the mother of all weird stuff from AnCo.

Rest you do whatever you want.

this chart is both accurate and well laid out

>not mentioning their best album

I have been just getting into them, and I agree. I am not a huge pop guy, and Sung Tongs / Feels got me into them. MPP took more listening then those two

Nah. I think Person Pitch did the tribal shit better and ODDSAC did the weird stuff better

>i think Person Pitch did the tribal shit better
person pitch is barely tribal at all compared to HCTI
>oddsac did the weird stuff better
not at all
Infant Dressing Table and Two Sails on a Sound are actually incredible, most of the ambient pieces on ODDSAC are filler-tier.

Start with MPP, then go where-ever from there. Althought i'd advise against listening to anything made before Sung Tongs right away, as its harder to stomach.

Hey, it's the album that introduced me to anco, so naturally im gonna suggest it first.

Its their most accessible album next to maybe Painting With.

Absolutely this, but start with Strawberry Jam and leave Sung Tongs for later

Person Pitch is definitely tribal, just not in the gimmicky way HCTI is.

>Ambient pieces on ODDSAC are filler tier
Not if you actually listen to the whole thing. There's definitely reason for them to exist. They aren't filler, they are part of the "journey" feel of ODDSAC. The fact that a compilation pulled this off is next level shit.

Was my first AnCo, too. Doesn't mean I would necessarily rec it that way.

>The fact that a compilation pulled this off is next level shit.
ODDSAC is not a compilation, it was all recorded around the same time with the same end in mind.

posting the patrician chart

Nothing from them is worth listening. They're just tasteless, talentless memes that idiots like Sup Forums falls for.

Why did i know that this was going to happen

all of these posts are really frustrating because they produce this endless Sup Forums cycle of AnCo's older stuff being seen as somehow exotic and untouchable. i can't begin to count the number of AnCo "fans" i know who'll listen to CHz over and over trying to "get" it when it's a terrible record but won't go near any of the early stuff unless they're looking for Sup Forums approval with STGSTV. you guys really have to stop making people listen to like just the indie folk and pop elements of the band and helping them make up their own minds.

only other poster ITT who likes AnCo it would appear

older AnCo is in most ways better than newer AnCo. MPP was their best album in awhile, and they never made a bad album before it, though everything after is shit. I would say STGSTV and HCtI are the best AnCo albums, followed by MPP. you should definitely start with MPP, but I'd say that after that you should bounce back to ST to get a feel for where they were earlier on, then go straight to STGSTV and work your way chronologically forward. you'll be one of the few people here who actually has an opinion on early AnCo that isn't informed by thinking AnCo has always been a pop band and coming back to the older stuff years after memorizing SJ and shit. post that quotes this will have rankings of all AnCo albums based on quality.

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE RANKINGS

GREAT TIER
1. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
2. Here Comes the Indian
3. Merriweather Post Pavilion
4. Person Pitch
5. Campfire Songs
6. Young Prayer

GOOD TIER
7. Danse Manatee
8. Sung Tongs
9. Hollinndagain
10. Strawberry Jam
11. Fall Be Kind EP

BAD TIER
12. Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
13. Feels
14. Tomboy
15. Grass
16. Prospect Hummer
17. Water Curses
18. People
19. Pullhair Rubeye

HOLY SHIT TERRIBLE TIER
20. Sleep Cycle
21. Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks
22. Transverse Temporal Gyrus
23. Centipede Hz
24. Painting With
25. Down There
26. Panda Bear

nah dude nah

fuck you

>Sleep Cycle in HOLY SHIT TERRIBLE tier
>Young prayer better than Sung Tongs

what kind of edgy meme are you

Best:
STGSTV
Strawberry Jam
Water Curses
Person Pitch
Sleep Cycle

P good:
Hollindagain
Here comes the Indian
MPP
Feels
Sung Tongs

Okay:
P much everything else

Bad:
Centipede Hz

Holy shit-opinions m8

>Flawless
1. Feels
2. Here Comes the Indian
3. Campfire Songs
>Great
4. Pullhair Rubeye
5. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
6. Person Pitch
7. Prospect Hummer
8. ODDSAC
9. Merriweather Post Pavilion
10. Transverse Temporal Gyrus
11. Water Curses
12. Young Prayer
13. Sung Tongs
14. Strawberry Jam
15. Fall Be Kind
>Good
16. Sleep Cycle
17. Hollinndagain
18. People
>Decent
19. Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
20. Down There
21. Enter the Slasher House
22. Tomboy
23. Danse Manatee
24. Panda Bear
25. Keep
>Poor
26. Painting With
27. Centipede Hz
>Insulting
28. Monkey Been to Burntown

Listen to FloriDada on repeat for a few hours, then go outside and tell everyone how much you love Animal Collective

OBJECTIVELY CORRECT ANIMAL COLLECTIVE RANKINGS

GOD TIER
Sung Tongs
Hollinndagain
Person Pitch
STGSTV

GREAT TIER
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Prospect Hummer
Strawberry Jam
Danse Manatee
Here Comes the Indian
Pullhair Rubeye
Tomboy
Young Prayer

GOOD TIER
Painting With
Keep
Sleep Cycle
Slasher Flicks
Panda Bear

DECENT TIER
Feels
Campfire Songs
Centipede Hz
Down There
Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Fall Be Kind
Water Curses
People

Painting With makes me feel embarrassed to tell people that Animal Collective are my favorite band because I know if they look them up and hear stuff from Painting With they'll think I'm lower on the autism spectrum than I am.

It's a compilation of sounds made for a film. Yeah the sounds were made at same time as the film due to a lot of collaboration, but still a comp.

AnCo is most well known for making psych pop. They have more psych pop in their discography than anything else. No shit that's where somebody interested in knowing what the band's all about should start off with.

The same principle goes for a band like say...Pink Floyd. They are most well known for making prog rock, and they have more prog records than anything else, so that would be recced first before checking out their earlier psych with a slight experimental bent style music.

If OP had said something like "wtf is this stupid MPP bullshit" like the first time I listened to AnCo, yeah the early stuff would be recced, but this is his first time so no reason to do that.

water curses and forest gospel the best anco songs

>Yeah the sounds were made at same time as the film due to a lot of collaboration, but still a comp.
By this definition you could say that every album is a compilation of tracks recorded at a certain time. I'm not sure why you're singling out ODDSAC. ODDSAC was intentionally crafted as a holistic piece aiming at the same end. I'm not sure why you're being so difficult.

youtube.com/watch?v=e2XmdvJcUcw

Thoughts?

I guess so.

The tracks consist of multiple different recordings that happened over a period of four years. That's more like a compilation than say...Gira putting sounds he has had since his early career into SFTB because he did all that for one recording.

I was 100% expecting Winters Love at some point and I still lol'd

8/10, forgot to add the peacebone intro

start with MPP, then listen backwards from strawberry jam to sung tongs, then probably listen to STGSTV, those are their most popular albums

their other albums (2 newest ones, + early stuff) are also worth listening to imo but they are a lot more divisive so i wouldn't recommend starting there

solo stuff is also worth listening to

Just a reminder that Centipede Hz is not that bad

This

one of the better charts i've seen.

Where could it fit in?

geologist doin the look

idk wat u kids say i would kill to be able to see that brighton show live

that fucking cough

I'm listening to Strawberry Jam which is probably my favorite album by them but holy shit is the first half of Chores annoying as fuck

whaaat nah dude nah

>DECENT TIER
>Feels

what the hell
Banshee Beat alone is worth more than all of Painting With

Funny funny. Reminds me of SuperDeluxe news videos.

chores is one of their worst songs anyways

u wot
feels is overrated etc etc
also the burglars is brother sport-tier mate