/chicago/

Any Chicago Sup Forumstants here? I just moved to the city. The DIY scene seems pretty spread out and hard to get into. Figured it might be easier to post here and see whats up.

Does chicago still has a strong blues scene?

no idea. Haven't seen much pertaining to blues since I arrived. I did see like 300 hoes lined up around the house of blues this afternoon though. Not sure what that was about.

chicago Sup Forumstant here. check out kingston mines. $15 cover but hours and hours of blues/rock being played in alternating rooms. fun to go with a group and get buckets o' beer

I'm in Rockford, about an hour or so from Chicago. Sucks around here. It seems it's all planned on facebook.

I'm from Chicago
Beverly 2 be exact...

I too live in Chicago. Some good live music 'round here.

What, exactly, are you looking for?

Idk about DIY but there so many good venues in the city. Lincoln hall is one of my favs for sure. They have all of Wilcos old gear in their soundsystem. The metro is shit but everyone plays there. Thalia hall is beautiful and there's always an assortment of bands playing. The vic sick.

Guess the subterranean houses a lot of on the rise/ DIY bands. That' what you should check out first but beware their bills can be streaky.

OP here

just wanna have a band going again, or atleast some sort of collab

Im into psych, shoegaze, vaporwave, chillwave, and trap/footwork/juke

Youre gonna need a practice space senpai

not necessarily vaporwave, chillwave, and trap/footwork/juke

Does a studio apartment count as a practice space?

the DIY scene is huge and you just gotta start going to shows. however, it's very samey. there's a lot of mediocre garage rock. bad singing over two/three chords. its literally every DIY band here. flesh panthers, the lemons, the sueves, the bingers, the yolks, uh bones, slushy. there's some cool bands hiding in there if you want to try and sift thru the shit. there's also some great venues that the better bands usually end up opening up for. a lot of bands pride themselves on being DIY but its just usually because their shitty and can't really move past free shows at wallys world. there are some exceptions like twin peaks who are pretty big now.

I've lived here since I was born (26 years ago)... Great EDM scene as far as I can tell. Riot Fest is mostly good, Lolla is usually okay.

I just saw Denny Laine of the Moody Blues and McCartney & Wings at Reggies (on State) last Sunday. There is always someone cool coming through.

Best shows are always at- Reggies, Bottom Lounge, or the Vic. -- Metro, Congress, and the Exit (is that still around?) usually have lousy indie, hip hop, or EDM acts.

you definitely have shitty taste in music

Also, avoid the hipster bands like Fall Classic and Shotgun Gambling at all costs.

You can tell this how?

>Best shows are always at- Reggies, Bottom Lounge, or the Vic.

terrible venues with bad bills

Examples?

idk man just look at the upcoming calendar for reggies it fucking blows

the bottom lounge stage is in a concrete garage and always sounds like shit.

What is a good venue then and who will play there that you would go and see? I've only seen a few shows at the Metro and Aragon that were worth my time. Most of the time, those places just butcher the acoustics (like Congress's stupid concrete dome ceiling)

I live by IL and I am involved in the south bend DIY scene

the best venue in the city hands down is lincoln hall. its like 500 cap. best size, best sound, best sight lines, staff is cool. for smaller, go schubas. beat kitchen has a good bill, room kinda sucks though. thalia hall is wonderful as well. the empty bottle is great too, though the sound could be better.

i refuse to go to the metro or aragon

This thread is interesting. I'm moving to chicago in a few weeks with no job prospects and only 1 grand in my pocket. Hopefully I don't die.

I've been of of these except The Empty Bottle (which is kind of a metal joint right?). Id agree if it werent for the actual artists that they host. The Pearl Room was one of the best regional places a few years back.

Used to live in South Bend and played shows all the time in Chicago, the DIY scene is huge. The only venue I can recall by name is the Empty Bottle, and that place was pretty great.