>2018
>computer from 2008 running linux kernel 4.9 doesn't feel sluggish or slow at all
>still works great for any task that isn't video games
>even though it only has usb 2.0, 802.11n, SATAII and VGA it doesn't feel obsolete

>2028
>computer from 2008 running linux kernel 38.1 doesn't feel sluggish or slow at all
>still works great for any task that isn't video games
>even though it only has usb 2.0, 802.11n, SATAII and VGA it doesn't feel obsolete

What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ctG0DsmcAtU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i want to fug kanna

>2018
>
computer from 2005 easily running Windows 7 x64 doesn't feel sluggish or slow at all
>still works great for any task including video games
>because it has on board USB 2.0 and SATA I plus gigabit nic, SATAIII and HDMI via PCI and PCIE it doesn't feel obsolete
>Massive archive of drivers, OSes and software
Feels good tbqh

moor's law stopped working

STICK IT IN HER POOPER

>2005
>SATAIII
(You)

He clearly said sata3 through pcie, are you retarded?

It still works, just not for PC's

>computer from 2008 running linux kernel 38.
lololol
good luck with running linux kernel 4.9 on a computer from 1998

I'm still using the core2duo desktop i built in 2007. I might upgrade to a Ryzen in a couple of years but i really don't feel like i need to. It does everything i want to do except run Dolphin at full speed

I use linux on my dad's old thinkpad from 1993

What version?

youtube.com/watch?v=ctG0DsmcAtU

it's a thinkpad 350c, 250mb hard disk

use tiny core linux, the hardest part was the install since the laptop only has a floppy disk and I don't have access to a serial cd drive that's compatible

had to copy the install to the hard disk floppy by floppy then install from partition then resize partition

don't have a floppy drive anymore in my modern computers so I went to my university library since the old servers there have floppies

works pretty well, faster than windows 95 on the machine but slower than win 3.1 which is what I used to keep on it

easiest way to install any os on a machine like that is to get a usb>ide adapter and install the OS through a VM onto the disk
you can get adapters with 2.5" IDE connectors on them for peanuts, don't even need a power brick since 2.5" ide is 44pin with power included, and is 5v-only

I have a computer which can't go further than 130 GBs HDD
What's my cheap and reliable solution for 128 GB storage? I guess buying a used 120 gigs HDD is unreliable

at that point you might as well get an sdd

ssd*

hdd's die most often either when they're brand new, or really old
a lightly used hdd that is known to be working is potentially /more/ reliable than one fresh off the shelf, though it might not last quite as long owing to it being used already

oh, not sure about SSD's

I had one of these until only two years ago or so and I loved the shit out of it. Ran surprisingly fast for a computer from 2005, never had any problems with it at all. Unfortunately the capacitors began leaking and we had to get rid of it. :

>lololol
>good luck with running linux kernel 4.9 on a computer from 1998

you underestimate the power of the turboNEET. They can and will do anything (not because they need, but because they have nothing better to do with their time).

>good luck with running linux kernel 4.9 on a computer from 1998
Not a problem.
Linus still supports the 486, which was released in 1989.

I doubt I can get 120 GB SSD now for cheap.
Also I can only use IDE.
Maybe I can install a USB flash with some switch?

>he can't change capacitors

its not windows

its not that easy anymore with the surface mount meme.

>2018
>computer from 2008 running Linux kernel 4.9 doesn't feel slow or sluggish at all
>still works great for programming, text editing, authoring and playing text adventures, and googling things via elinks
>good for literally nothing else and can't even run a gui
>considering it only has USB 2.0, 1GB of RAM, and a 4GB hard drive
>i once tried to install a gui and wound up with broken packages because the whole thing wouldn't fit on my drive
>kill me

>>high end computer from 2018 running freshly installed windows 10 feels sluggish and slow
>>still works okay for web browsing as long as you have at least 64GB of RAM
>>even though it has thunderbolt 3, 802.11ad, PCIe 4.0 storage, and HDMI 2.1 it feels obsolete

What happened?

>2018
>low end computer running freshly installed /dev/zero feels literally fucking dead
>still works okay as a paperweight
>even tho it is a computer

>2008
>any task that isn't video games
My gaming rig is a 2008 laptop, and it runs games just fine. The only problem is that Nvidia will deprecate drivers for my GPU in 2019, and I'll have to switch back to nouveau, which will cause a huge loss in performance.

>switch to a good GNU/Linux distro
>it runs even better because you don't have bloat