/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4570-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X/2770vs3921
pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xz9xr6
pcpartpicker.com/product/TXCwrH/phanteks-case-phes614pcbk
pcpartpicker.com/list/KsH7YT
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/jgKFTB
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To sum up: [insert insult here]

I've said it before and I will damn well say it again. Fuck Bitcoin and fuck the Chinese.

What motherboard do I use with a Corsair 900D to use all 15 3.5 drive bays? You add 6 additional cages at the bottom.

Will an i3 3220 bottleneck a 1050 ti?

Any ATX Mainboard, just add additional SATA controller cards.

Thoughts on TN panels? and VA vs IPS?

Yes. 3220 has trouble keeping 60fps in many games afaik.

What really matters is the quality of each panel. IPS generally has better color accuracy, but that doesn't mean more saturation so that might not matter too much to you. IPS has poor contrast. TN is available in higher refresh rates.VA has better contrast than TN which in turn is better than IPS.

But that's all just the trends in consumer-tier screens, not really things inherent to the technologies. Look up the specific "benchmarks" of the screens you're interested in.

How worried should I be about the cards taking up too much room in that case. Like if I had this mobo? I guess I shouldn't do something like this for my first build since I have to ask so many questions but I've always dreamed of buying like 15 hard drives and having 75 terabytes of space.

Probably depends on the game and settings, mostly no. The 1050Ti is a 30FPS card. The i3 isn't too different from the G4560

Are these normal temperatures for my cpu? Using Dark rock pro 3 as the aftermarket cooler

Forgot pic

can you recommend me some budget 24 inch ips 1080p 60 htz color accurate monitor for around 150 money?

If it's under load yes, if it's idle no

The Dell U2414H is the cheapest calibrated monitor you can buy.

What is an older GPU that is equivalent or better than the GTX 1050 ti that I can buy used for less money? These GPU prices really are something.

His temperatures are perfectly fine for idle. The 1800X has a 20 degree temperature offset, so the real temperature is 32. Perfectly acceptable.

GTX 680, GTX 770, HD 7970, R9 280X, R9 380X.

Has anyone ran an assembling business? I thought about doing something like a build consultation and assembly service locally as a side job while in uni. I'm unsure what sort of license and insurance I'd need, additionally I'm unsure what I would charge.

Does $30 for a build consultation, $70 for a build, and $80 for both sound fair?

Thanks. Are any of those in low profile variants?

ill probably use it as a side monitor , so i want something cheaper

No chance. They're all very power hungry (the 380X slightly less so). Anything older matching the 1050 Ti will be. Your only other option would be a GTX 960, which is a little slower. Though I'm fairly sure there were no low profile 960s either.

I am coming from a GTX 770 2GB. Do you know of any low profile GPU's that are better than it for

The list begins and ends at the 1050 Ti in that case.

Is it recommendable to convert a used workstation pc to an everyday pc, like a Lenovo ThinkStation C30? And what are the precautions when doing so?

>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
Yes, that's better

>Lenovo
It's chinkshit

use smallest mini ITX MB user :^)

>chinkshit
please elaborate

Lenovo products are of middling quality and their HQ is in china. They probably spend more cash on aesthetics than quality, like some fucking eastern Apple

Should I wait for the new Ryzen and the new Nvidia cards?

Why should I consider getting a Ryzen knowing that their single core performance will be lower than an 8600K I5 and that I want it exclusively for gaming?
Nvidia card... maybe I should wait, but I am considering just getting a 1080Ti.

PLs help

Show me your 7980XE builds.

>7980XE
>ever

I currently have a GTX 970 but it's getting more and more inadequate and I'm starting to be forced to play stuff in 1080p windowed on my 1440p monitor (thanks FFXV but other games are starting to be heavy on the card, can't even max anything anymore).
Is getting a GTX 1080Ti NOW a smart choice if I want to future proof my current build for the next 5 years (CPU currently not being an issue) or can I afford to wait for the next generation?
I guess it comes mostly to how much the newer generation will cost but I have no idea how price works in this case so I can't know if it's cheaper to buy this now or the new generation later.

Stop being poor.

But brand names aside, would it be a good idea to use USED server or workstation grade components as everyday pc?

How much better will my life be if I upgrade from an i5 4570 to a Ryzen 1500X without changing any other hardware (Mechanical HDD, 8 GB RAM, and GTX 1050 Ti)?

Will a 8700k be significantly better than a 3770 in (4k) gaming and light workstation tasks?
Benchmarks show around 30-50% higher results than a 3770k but I am not sure.
GPU is a 1070 and I think of upgrading now because RAM prices (and prices in general) seem to only rise with time

gaming? the 4570 shits all over poozen

but everyone told me Ryzen is newer and better than the thing I bought four years ago???

Get a SSD. You’ll notice more improvements

From personal opinion, any used hardware is shite since you can't tell if it'll break 1 month or 5 years from now

Would you get a used gf?

>Should I wait for the new Ryzen and the new Nvidia cards?
if you're going for 8600k then there's no reason to wait for new ryzen cpus since they'll still be behind coffee lake.
as for nvidia gpus we know from various sources that they wont release anything during gdc/gtc, so new gen is still at least half a year away. just get a 1080ti

>it's premium shit

As opposed to just shit aka poozen.

Raja shekelstein please, both Threadripper and Epyc made any i9 worthless, just like your shilling.

for games:
i want to upgrade from Xeon E3-1230v2 and 16GiB DDR3 RAM to a newer platform. Have a GTX1080 and a WQHD 144hz monitor

Intel or AMD for games? Would need new RAM, Mainboard, CPU and maybe cooler

8th gen made i9 worthless

i9 was worthless even before its release*

You're an idiot

Ignore this post just testing to see if I'm still banned desu

Any non-virgin gf is used

>144hz
>games
intel all the way. even i5 8400 is better at gayming than any ryzen

Get a virgin one then?

>AMD poozen

>morning in BRland
>thread is suddenly full of shills

Really gets the noggin joggin.

>2018
>buying shitty skylake-x instead of godly Power9
>not poor

It's just one faggot shitposting day after day for the rest of his life

Enjoy your shitty minimum FPS, faggot.

A lot better, what's your budget?
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4570-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X/2770vs3921

Pajeet just came home from his 12 hours shift.

I would get a Focus Plus Gold, a NH-D15, a Z370XP, a WD Black or Gold 2TB (check which is cheapest) and if you're only gaming 32gb is a bit overkill in my opinion

What power supply does a mini itx budget build need? pcpartpicker says it's around 125w with the current setup. DO I buy a 300W or a 500W one?Even if I decide on adding a videocard to the build It won't go over 300W and if I can't stack it up with HDDs or SSDs because of the PC's compact form.

Get this one or a 620 EVO, it's better to not cheap out on the PSU
pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xz9xr6

>it's better to not cheap out on the PSU
It's also a waste of both money and electricity to buy a PSU much more powerful that you need.

>It's also a waste of both money and electricity to buy a PSU much more powerful that you need.
A PSU cannot pull more power than you need, it's an impossibility

What non gayming looking ATX case would you recommend (no RGB, no stupid design, no glass panel) ?
Set on the Zalman Z1 at the moment, but I would like a top fan.

Corsair 270R

A PSU is at its most efficient at 50% load. The further you deviate from that, the less efficient it will be. And if you go below 20%? Unless you have a VERY good PSU, you'll see a big drop in the efficiency.

200R

This is a full tower, it might be too big for you
pcpartpicker.com/product/TXCwrH/phanteks-case-phes614pcbk

Sorry, I've not been specific enough.
I already have a internal optical drive I would like to use, and even if I will do cable management, I don't want any visitors to know what my rig is. So no window either.

>$100
>no psu cover
what a joke

pcpartpicker.com/list/KsH7YT
I'm trying to redo this build with a larger case. I completed it last summer and had a bit of a tough time fitting the Noctua fan in it. Budget is $2000

960 isnt too far behind.

Be sure to verify if your case takes an ATX PSU or an SFX PSU. SFX tends to be more expensive FYI.

Does anyone own an NZXT h700i or Fractal Define R6? I need to know if one of them is good

The guts thread is filled with R6s. Must be breddy gud.

Any noticable (vidya) difference between running 2x8GB and 4x4GB RAM?

8400 is cute!!!! CUTE!

Anyone experience regarding threadripper custom loops?

1080 FE in stock on nvidia’s website lads
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

Already gone kek

>sold out in 30 seconds
JUST FUCK MY MARKET UP

I fell for the kikeripper meme. Previous one on the right.

Give it all back, Jamal.

So what should I go for then? A300W one or a 550W one. I'm not buying a video card for the foreseeable future and even with OC I don't expect to go beyond 150W. Here's the build btw.
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/jgKFTB

FUCKING SHIT FE 1080TIS SOLD OUT IN LESS THAN 15 MINUTES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what games are really dependent on SSD
im thinking about a 500 gb crucial for my os and other stuff and a 1 tb 960 for gaming

I'd go with a good 300W PSU.

Off the top of my head
>Kingdom Come: Deliverence
>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
>Dragon Age: Inquisition
All have garbage load times on an HDD, though mine is 5400 RPM so eh

not really get what ever is cheaper
I assume less sticks is cheaper

It's really hard to get 4 sticks to work right on Ryzen at least

What platform + CPU? Intel no difference, AMD possible difference depending on a few things

What do you mean, 'redo'? If it ain't broke don't fix it

Probably i5 8400 or i7 8700/K

I would say don't upgrade unless your light workstation tasks demand it. At 4K the load will be on your graphics card

No improvement from CPU swap. As the other user said, get an SSD.

Wait for the next gen. But yeah the 970 is weak for 1440p. Lower settings and lock to 30FPS if need be

New Ryzen is nothing to wait for (in that if you want Ryzen you can get the 1600 or 2200G). i5 8600K is pointless, and 'single core' as you're using it is a meme at this point. Either get the i5 8400 or i7 8700/K

New Nvidia cards will be a big boost over current ones.

If you're thinking about a 1080Ti you better have a 1440p 144Hz or 4K monitor

I'm this guy It was rigged and the had to be shoved into the case at a weird angle. I want it all to fit together without any shoving or rigging.

Just pay $1500 for an aftermarket one user :)

So even if it reaches 50% load if I put in some SSDs or HDDs it's still gonna perform ok? What if I also choose a video card and it reaches up to 70 or 80% usage?