Want to get rid of Facebook Messenger

>want to get rid of Facebook Messenger
>everyone I know uses it

What the fuck do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

signal.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do what I do and have no friends.

This. Or suck it up. I hate it with every cell in my body, but I am forced to drink the cool-aid if I wan't to stay in contact.

>What the fuck do I do?
Ask to Sup Forumsuys who have no friends on a weird website.

delete the app off your phone, log out on ur computer so you dont autologin when you open a fb tab out of habit, basically quit cold turky and tough it out for the first few days and after that its a helluva lot easier

Be the first. Be pioneer. Be the change you want to see in the world. Others are only waiting for others doing the first step.

same problem here, all my one friend is using it

Well, the first thing you should do is get off Sup Forums entirely until you no longer have a Facebook account.

Get better friends. All mine use ether Telegram if they’re privacy minded or Line if they’re cute Japanese school girls

i deleted mine and never looked back. same with Twitter. Only use the warming comfortable botnet that is Whatsapp now.

Use Signal, the biggest open-sauce alternative.
signal.org/

Any alternative that works through wifi

>having a facebook account
This place is not for you

Stop shilling signal, it's not good privacy-wise. Use XMPP instead
>telegram
>privacy
Enjoying your homebrew crypto that's not even enabled by default and not available for groups?

>tell them you want to be contacted on another platform instead, if they dont respect it then they shouldn't contact you in the first place
>stay on the botnet, anything and anyone that is on facebook isn't worthy of the privacy anyways, treat all your conversations there as public to the overlord

If your friendship is so shallow that a social media app determines it, you should get new friends

I made my close contacts move on telegram. Slow process, it took ~1 year.
Now they are all happy about it and we happily give our private data to Russia.

>want to get off crack
>everyone I know does it
mang

Don't use any real info other than your first name, don't upload any real photos of you, make everything private on settings, never press like on anything and only allow posts approved by you to be shown so you don't get ninja tagged.
There, no useful info can be harvested from you now.

Sriously, no one reccommended Messenger Lite yet?

Get Messenger Lite. It's lightweight and only has the essential features. If you're still uncomfortable with it, deny its permissions.

>t. person who doesn't have friends.

fpbp
/thread

>tfw people still tag you on other posts, so even if not approved facebook still get's your location info, then starts pushing ads related to there

When in doubt, install Gentoo

honestly, i got messenger lite and it does what i need it to. send and recieve pictures of various animals and human organs aaaand as i write this i see someone already said it. listen to this guy

>>everyone I know uses it
They also use texting or Telegram. Man up, soy boy.

Why does nobody use WhatsApp in America? It’s so simple. You don’t even need a password. You just download the thing, punch in the phone number and your contacts that have whatsapp are loaded.

get rid of it. invite them to use something else to contact you.

It definitely runs better than messenger.

You should definitely get all autismo and drop Facebook Messenger. That way, you can retreat to the safety of GNU and grow a huge beard and argue with people about Trisquel. Live the Sup Forums dream my brother.

Install Signal.

>depend on gsf
>centralized garbage
>phone number as only id
>no fdroid
eww no.

signal.org/android/apk

>t. person who has "friends"

>Stop shilling signal, it's not good privacy-wise. Use XMPP instead
But it's dead?

Signal is for people only slightly above the baseline intelligence for technology. Better than Facebook messenger? Sure. But not even close to the best open source solution.

Set up your own matrix synapse server, create accounts for your friends, and then as you hang out with them tell them you want to install a cool app on their phone. Download riot.im and log in to their account on your home server.

That is by far the best solution going forward. Audited encryption, decentralized, and bridges to IRC, Skype, SMS, Slack, etc. Fuck the walled garden that is signal

This is not how real life works, user.

I use Metal which strips out all the bullshit of the messenger app.

It's not a perfect solution but it's a good halfway solution

Works for me. I have a big room for a lot of my old fraternity buddies and we use that to talk about alumni events. I convinces my family to install it so we can video call each other, they have I phones and I have an android so j can't face time with them. I have a big room with my extended family that we use during holidays to have a group video conference call.

It's really not hard, most of you guys are just too lazy and stick with SMS or proprietary software out of faggotness

Make friends with people who dont use it.
None of my friends use facebook, we call each other just like we did back in high school.
Granted I'm in my 30s so its not hard for me to meet people who knew the pre-cellphones everywhere world, I'd imagine it would be a whole lot harder to avoid FB as a teen though...

I have the same problem. I wanted to uninstall watsapp but it is the only way to communicate beyond calling.
More and more people have been installing telegram here though, so i may be able to get rid of watsapp within a few years.

Problem is you get retards that will tag photos back to you and then the jig is up. FB knows along with everyone else. I don't use FB exactly because my family flat out can't be responsible about the whole thing and I don't need to be involved in their collateral damage.

Everything you just described is possible with Signal, except group video.

Except signal is a walled garden. Every person *has* to use signal. It is centralized so you can't run your own server, so you need to trust a company to host your data for you. Signal can't bridge to IRC, Slack, Skype, etc.

But yea, signal can send text to another person so they're basically the same...

Sup Forums hasn't been filled with tech literate people in a long time

Semi-related.

What's a good OMEMO enabled jabber.at alternative? since they seem to have stopped new registrations.

It'll be a little less dead when you start using it. The other "alternative" clients aren't exactly alive either, might as well pick the best one when you decide to switch

Keep telling yourself that, tech Sup Forumsenius

What I have done since 2011. Standing up for freedom, privacy, and against them is a lonely path.

Well, the thing is that the vast majority of people want just an app to chat with people, they don't need it to be decentralized, they don't need it to bridge to irc, slack or whatever.
Signal is a perfect replacement to Facebook's messenger (maybe not now, because it lacks some features like video calling, but it will be soon) because it offers basically the same functionality and is PRIVATE.
Signal Protocol is open-source, app is open-source and server code is also open-source.

Not a tech genius by any means, i dont even develop software. But I recognize the vastly superior design and philosophy of matrix. It's a huge, ambitious project that works great already and will only get better.

Signal is "generic text app this time encrypted trust us" number 474

You have 2 options here:
>ask people for alternative contact info(phone number, email, etc) then proceed with deletion
I did this, its not the end of the world, most of my friends have instagram anyway

option 2:
>keep using it, realize that as long as you control what you share via facebook, it can be a useful tool, and not an enormous privacy violator.

Don't talk about real shit on FB

>most of my friends have instagram anyway
That chat isn't encrypted and Instagram is owned by Facebook either way.

If you're talking about what the vast majority of people want, they want Facebook messenger ya retard.

If you're talking about what tech savvy people should offer as an alternative, it is matrix, not signal.

Why the fuck would any forward thinking, tech literate person rather have a walled garden messaging app that forces you to use one client and can't communicate with any other messaging service? If you don't care about running your own server just use a public server. But ignoring it's abilities as an IRC client, video conferencing, and dozens and dozens of widget integrations is fucking stupid

This shitpost is excellent 10/10

You should really get out more often user.
Signal (and its superior derivatives like Silence) do one thing and they do that well.
Just because someone is "tech-savy" doesn't mean they have to use the absolute most general solution possible. One that is good enough and doesn't require much effort is more than enough.

>Signal can't bridge to IRC, Slack, Skype
It can't but I don't care and my friends don't care.

This is what I did with Snapchat.
>get a dual Sim phone
>buy second sim pay as you go
>send second Sim number to all your friends and say you're quitting use this number to contact

This, messenger lite is still botnet but wayyyy lighter than the regular app.

Since I don't Care for facecuck notifications, I got rid of the app and I use toffeed instead. I only open it when I want to look at feed.

I can't believe these ubiquitous apps are so heavy and data hungry.

At the end of the day you're choosing an app for private communication, and your choice is the one that does not even give you the choice to host the data yourself. You want privacy... But you want to trust somebody else with the data. Real smart fuckwit

You can't win. You're choosing a worse design for no other reason than you're more familiar with it maybe? Its not even easier to use than matrix... You can create an account and be using matrix in 1 minute

Matrix does everything signal can do, it does those things better, and it can do more. Go fuck yourself and your shitty choices

OP. You can actually disable your main Facebook account and still keep your contacts + use the messenger app. I disabled my "facebook half" months ago and have never looked back. Its the lesser alternative of using messenger because of friends.

Google it if you need specifics on how to do it.

Wire is better in every way

It's literally a an even bigger botnet.

>switching one botnet for another
Wow user, 0 improvements made there

Tell them to move to Wire or Riot.im

Holy bumbaclart, rastafari, selassie

You've just blown my mind

>being a slave to the corporate machine
>being a slave to your sexual trap fantasies

no choice

Kek, stay mad kid