Anyone care to recommend a good trusty black and white laser printer...

Anyone care to recommend a good trusty black and white laser printer? I know we're not supposed to ask about purchasing advice so printers general too.

If you don't own it or use it yourself then your opinion does not matter. No ink garbage either, mail ordering photo prints give better quality at a lower price. And they don't work if you don't use them for six months.

My Samsung ML 1520 has always worked great, leave it off for six months and turn it on and it'll spit out a perfect black and white page, no "ink has dried out" bullshit. It's basically what I want. The problem with this printer is that it's from 2004. Yes, 2004 technology. Toners have gone from hard to impossible to get the last few years. That's understandable, it is a 14 year old printer. This does mean that I need a new one, preferable one which will be supported just as long. And that's not another Samsung, they sold their printer division to Brother a few years back.

So.. any recommendations? And as I said, if you don't own it yourself then you don't know enough to make a recommendation valid.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7360n_all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BROTHER

Have a basic brother with a scanner, pretty happy with the quality and linux support

Any specific model? I don't care about muh features like wifi-support and things like that. My current one is connected with USB, that's good enough. It just has to be reliable.

As I said in my OP, I really do care about pages coming out when I need them - even if it's been half a year since last time I used it (when I had a ink printer it would always have dried up when I needed it).

It doesn't matter what you get, just go for a brother printer that can do double-sided. Almost any of them will work.

I have an old brother laser printer/scanner that is supposed to use wifi, but the wifi fucks up all the time (no surprises, printers are all shit when it comes to this). However, I can still connect it with the USB cable and it works just fine. Don't even need to install drivers on Win10.

Get a used laser.
They sell old good professional office printers for almost nothing.

Just look up if you can get cheap toner replacements for it beforehand.

pic related,
PostScript, USB/Parallel Port/Ethernet, Duplex, 2400dpi, 400MHz MIPS, works absolutely fine
Cost me 30$ including shipping.

Just remember to also look for compatible toners and their price.

Brother printers suck for PCB toner transfer

>used laser
uhm... I understand why you think this is a great idea, I'd get a high-quality printer at a bargain price.

But here's why it's possibly and probably not: I already have a used laser printer, I've got a 2004 laser printer that I've used. And now I can't get toners for it - which is why I need a new one.

So.. wouldn't buying a used office laser printer from say 2010 put me in the exact same predicament two years down the road?

This does raise a completely different question someone here could possibly answer: How long do unopened toner cartridges last? Does storing them 10 years matter? I could get some used office laser that they still sell toners for and just buy a metric ton of them, say 5 or 10 or something that would be enough to last me a few decades.

Just buy some chink toner on ebay or a refill kit. There's plenty for the ML 1520 for $10-25, not hard nor impossible.

Anything laser.
I use a Samsung ML1660 and it's good. anything will work with CUPS.

Office printers are usually supported for ages.
At least unofficially. I don't buy the overpriced official toner replacements anyway.

>How long do unopened toner cartridges last?
I haven't done any tests but isn't toner just plastic particles? Shouldn't that last forever? You could also just replace the toner in the cartridge manually.

what are your criteria?

if you want print quality and don't mind waiting a few seconds (low volume printing), get another samsung before they're gone
do you want a fast photocopier? get a canon

what I recommend is waiting for a sale (every month they rotate between brands at office depot) to grab one. if you can grab one on black friday, that's probably the best time of the year.

Im happy with Brother 2365DW. Low ink consumption, supporting airprint, google cloud printing and having good wireless strength. But the wireless driver installation a bit tricky.

just buy a new one for 30 bux you dumb shit. that's much cheaper than buying toner for whatever piece of crap you got not

unused tooner carts can really last forever if stored properly (dark, dry place)... I have successfully used almost 10 year old carts for an old HP i had..
The content is just colored plastic microparticles...

Got a used Kyocera FS2000D

I don't print too much, like 50 pages a month, and it's been working with just the same toner cartridge that came with it since 2012.

Cost me 50€.

>30$ cheaper than 20$

Although you said no ink, have you checked out the current crop of ink tank printers? Brother and Epson have them. Cheaper than toner.

only if you use third party cartridges. those ink tank ones where you just fill in new ink don't seem all that reliable to me. I've suffered from the printing jew too much

7360N

more expensive per page, slower, less accurate and less reliable

Just buy 3rd party toner.

I have an ancient samsung b&w (it has usb and parallel) and I can still get toner for it. Works great. Only had to clean the rubber pickup tire.

>your criteria?
Reliability. It works when I need it, even if it's been half a year since last time I used it. This rules out ink.

>less reliable
I had a few ink printers before I went laser. I actually decided to do the math on the last ink printer I owned, wanted to see how many pages I could get out of a ink cartridge. I printed a total of 17 pages and one day I turned it on and the ink cartridge had dried out. Those cartridges (used to) cost a fortune. Those were very expensive pages.

I don't print much, who does these days? But I do want my printer to work the few times I do. There's usually been months or half a year between the times I've used my ML 1520 for something and it's always been able to spit out a page.

Thanks. That's nice to know. Lesson learned from my current printer is that I should probably buy toners at the same time as the printer and have a bunch of spares in case they stop making them.

>chink toner on ebay or a refill kit
No. I just don't want to screw with third party toners and definitively not refill kits. Printers and toners aren't that expensive, relatively speaking (it's more than a bottle of milk but less than a refrigerator or a decent phone).

Thanks. I'll look a bit more at that one. It's listed as supported by CUPS on their product page so that's clearly a viable option.
support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7360n_all

HP426.

It's replacing an HP Laserjet 4, for which I could still get toner as recently as last fall via Amazon's 3rd party sellers.

Lmao this is the same printer dad bought ~8 years ago.. Still works.

>good
>trusty
>printer
pick one

inkjet plebs will never know the joys of a good printer