Redpill me on ebook readers Sup Forums

redpill me on ebook readers Sup Forums
is it worth getting one considering the vast array of free books available?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary-surveillance.en.html#SpywareInElectronicReaders
gnu.org/philosophy/the-danger-of-ebooks.en.html
wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duokan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

kindle paperwhite.

/thread

on to the next one.

is it a botnet though?
how does it snoop on you?

Yes. Kobo aura or kindle paperwhite for regular books. Kobo aura one for mangas or technical books

gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary-surveillance.en.html#SpywareInElectronicReaders
gnu.org/philosophy/the-danger-of-ebooks.en.html

I wouldn't buy one, they are a botnet.

>collects anonymized data that literally says nothing
>muh botnet
the absolute state of Sup Forums

You can download that vast array of free books to your reader.

can you use the reader without using any amazon services?

OH WOW BASED user HAAH HOW WILL OP EVER REC0VER BTFFFOFOO

You can, but the software stack is still proprietary.

Kindle has wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duokan

Dont get the paperwhitr unless you never saw a real book.

It is easier on the eyes to read the offwhite of a normal ebook.

botnet, sadly

>chinese shit
>no source code??
botnet

Does the Aura One support cbz natively or would I need to convert to epub?

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

>using a ebook connected
there no reason to do that.

how do you know the wifi is off and
does it automatically connect?

>Not wrapping your ereader in tin foil.

I haven't read a (physical) book in years, but I read a lot of ebooks on the kindle.
Mainly dumb entertainment, I'm not too much of a scholar.

well, I never connected to any wifi connection

>Got a kindle paperwhite
>Put it in a bag to take with me places
>Got a massive crack within a couple weeks

:(

I just read on my phone.

I read a couple of book in my phone until I got an ebook
I can't do it again

why bother

using the term redpill shows you aren't interested in reading even if you could

That's what cases are for.

Amazon's replacing it even though it was likely my dumbass who did it. But yeah I'm purchasing a case ASAP.

But why? I don't think "the text looks better" is a valid reason to buy and carry another device, is it eye strain related or something? I've used e-readers before, I don't get what's so much better about it that my phone doesn't already do.

Its hard on the eyes to stare at something emitting light for long periods of time.

>amazon
>$600m cia contract
>botnet
Who needs the patriot act when you can just buy everyone's reading history.

I just turn the brightness down, but it rarely happens anyway.

>modern technology is so advanced that we need to wrap it in special cases so it doesn't break from daily use

I don't understand this bullshit. The closest I got to it in real life is my stupid pantsu on head retarded sister asking for one so I can tell for sure it is retarded because she also uses crapple.
Why not use a smartphone or a fucking tablet to view you pdfs/epub?

Because of eye strain and reflective screens. Only a luddite can't see the benefits of e-paper for reading.

Welcome to hell

if you actually read a lot yeah it's a good investment
paperwrite works perfectly fine but i'd have gotten a kobo if i wasn't a jew because fuck amazon

I have pocketbook HD touch (or whatever it's called).
>1080p on small screen is a meme I think
>Very good contrast letters vs background (just like reading paper)
>Battery lasts for a month (+quick charge time)
>Can hold enough books for years to read
>Small (can be disadvantage regarding screen)
>Has audio jack, text to speech, web browser (don't really use these, but can be handy sometimes)
>Based on linux (not sure if it uses GNU software)
>Has backlight (for night reading)
>Built in dictionary to quickly look up definition of a word (a bit clunky though, try looking up for a word like i.e. "barking", highlight word, open dictionary which says "look up "bark"", then manually erase -ing...)
Other than some negatives I do like it. Would prefer physical books, but in my country is pretty hard to find some special books I'd like and don't feel like waiting for a month or so to deliver from other countries.

If you like reading and have time for it (and money) buy it. I do not regret buying mine.

They're too expensive for what you get. I've just been downloading epubs and reading on my 5.5" smartphone (LG G4) for years now. I would use real books but they cost if you can't be arsed going library and you can't read in the dark.

My monitor is consistently brighter and harder on my eyes than my phone screen is, sometimes I actually relish the opportunity to break away from my PC/Laptop to look at my phone on near-off brightness.
Or just pick up a book. I really don't understand the need for a separate reading device when I own three already and can just read a book.

>>Got a massive crack within a couple weeks
Well, if you give a calculator to a retard he'll try to turn on the TV with it.

I have my paperwhite that I use regularly for 4 years now, no issues.

That's what you get in exchange for good readability. Look up how eink works so you know why these screens are easy to damage.

Why would you buy an ebook reader instead of a tablet?

I don't want any tablet functionality. I don't want to distract myself with videos or apps.

Nothing really worth doing on a tablet that you can do on a laptop.

Right, but there's nothing worth doing on an e-reader that you can't do on a tablet either.

I got a letto frontlight 2.
It's not an international product but I'm very pleased. Could look into getting the French version.

If it's like this one I'd say the pros are that it's not bad at pdf reading like the Kindle paperwhite. Comparable price and supports a lot of formats unlike the Kindle which is very restricted and requires you to convert your books to read them. I don't think that part of the process is worth spending time on. I can just see myself being mad that I need to do that for no actual reason other than allowing Amazon control.

>is it worth
Depends on how much you read and where you prefer to read. I certainly like it.
Reading comfort, specialized buttons for reading very often. The screens are more comfortable. Battery life is very long for all the e-readers. We're talking multiple days of screen time.

Ink screens are more comfortable to read on and they have far better battery life.
Unless you read often there is not much point buying one

Screens for e-readers are better for reading. My point is that there's no use in investing in a tablet when you are not going to use it for anything except reading.
Tablets can be heavy as fuck too depending on what you buy and how much money you put into it.

1. My "swindle" isn't connected to the internet, I can lend it out and with it lend out a lot of books all at once.
2. The whole "you can't buy it with cash" thing is retarded place to start, should we avoid free software because you have to transfer it digitally?
3. proprietary software stack is irrelevant on a dumb device. Might as well argue over the cover art of a book being proprietary.

Are you suggesting that the portable pdf reader that only needs to recharge once a month is brute forcing my wifi without my knowledge?
Or that it automatically connect to random open wifi networks when possible just to tell amazon what books I read?

>I don't think "the text looks better" is a valid reason to buy and carry another device
>buy
E-books are relatively cheap compared to other electronic devices (phones, laptops, PCs), so they are worth it if you read a lot.
>carry
If you already carry a bag, you can probably fit in an e-reader, and if you do most of your reading at home, you don't even have to carry anything in the first place.

Is it really that much better than simply using a tablet?

Do share.

Keep in mind that I've never owned or seen a "ebook reader". I know there's probably some advantage.. but to me it just seems a bit silly. I've already got a 10" and a 7" tablet and a phone and they all open .pdf and .epub and .cbz files just fine.

smartphone:
>worse battery life (can't finish a book on a single charge)
>smaller screen
>not e-ink
>annoying shit like notifications and ads in the reading app (unless you like trying a gorillion different apps until you find one without ads)

tablet:
>costs more
>absolutely useless if you already have a phone
>more charge cycles because of worse battery life kill the device faster
>won't get any android updates after

But I still have to buy another device to do something my other devices already do and I already carry around.
It's just really inconvenient, it's like getting a tablet when you already have a phone and laptop in my opinion.

>to do something my other devices already do and I already carry around
I used to read on my phone before I got an e-reader, and the e-reader does it better. I agree that they are not for everyone as phones can do an acceptable job, but I think they are worth it if one reads a lot.

yes
I have some super cheap one and it werks

>Is it really that much better than simply using a tablet?

yes. tablet screens aren't for reading

We're just reiterating what we've posted at this point my man. In my opinion I don't think an e-reader is worth the price just to "read better" when my phone already displays words on a screen perfectly fine, I don't feel nor understand why one would want a screen that displays plain text "better" than another, especially when the my phone display is already easy on my eyes, as crisp as it can get, and lasts all day on a single charge, y'know? I'm just sharing my two cents since OP asked to be redpilled on it.

Personally I love the design of the B&N Nook Glowlight 3. I had a 1st gen Glowlight and I had to buy a 2nd gen when one of the buttons cracked, but the 3rd gen is the best.

A lot of people prefer Kindle because it can read mobi, which means less DRM and you can more easily read it on a computer; or Kobo, which is the cheap option. Nook only reads epub and PDF, which is annoying, and epub image quality sucks, but B&N does let you read free books and book chapters.

I will always stick with the Nook though.

DO NOT BUY A KINDLE. GET AN E-INK ANDROID TABLET INSTEAD.

I'd say that ereaders are way worth it for longer battery life, less eye strain, and keeping your phone from being used all the time.

Kobo aura one for technical books? No. It improved its pdf capabilities bigly but it is still not great.
Kobo aura one with koreader for tecnical books.

I was talking about screen size, my paper white, even with koreader, is too small for PDFs or mangas.

I ever use mine since I got an iPad.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, and it's good for what I need. I use it for books and manga, and it does both well. If your book is in epub, you can convert it with Calibre or Kindle Previewer. It wasn't expensive, and it's definitely worth it, you can read everything for free.

>want a decent tablet to read PDFs
>the price of e ink tablets doubles for every additional inch past 6"
What the heck

My eyes are already 7 different kinds of fucked, should I just buy a cheap android tablet?

>collects anonymized data that literally says nothing
I'm sure you will be able to prove that logs are anonymized.

Why would I care if they collected shit from my fucking kindle? It only has novels, fanfics, and (hentai) doujin on it. If they are so interested in me personally, they be my guest. Not that it's connected to WiFi, but even if it were and they actually collected such stuff, I couldn't care less.

This.

Real Ebooks are awesome, easily the most underrated devices out there. Too bad people dont read anymore.

my ereader doesn't get any notifications

I see where you're coming from, and I agree that phone screens do the job for some people, and some ebook readers are just not worth the price. I got a cheap refurbished reader, if I had to pay full price, I would hesitate more.

kobo h2o is good, just throw some ebooks on an sd card and you're good to go
the font selection is really nice, could use better margin selection though

Why would I buy a tablet if I only need an ebook reader?

I got the plain ol' kindle from amazon for $80 and I put plain ol' pirated ebooks on it and it just werks. never conected. I heard you can jailbreak them for extra features.

So, what are the recommended readers under 100 bucks? Actually, fuck that. Under 80.

they are good if you read, they are shit if you don't read. There, I saved you 30 dollars.

Here a cybook muse is 96$.
I can recommend it. Tolino page is the cheapest one I saw when looking into this.
Just works? Basically you're saying that you're reading pdfs right? Epub is far more convenient.

If you're still vacillating on what is frankly a trivial expense for an essential accessory, fucking die.

As someone who used e-books....
>Battery life is amazing
>contrast is superb
>some models have backlight for comfy night reading
>light weight so arms don't get tired
And that's about it.
The cons...
>Many models comes locked
>slow refresh rate
>extremely weak CPU
>expensive
>PDF looks horrible
And even if you enable text reflow, the slow refresh rate makes reading a miserable experience.
IMO getting a low end tablet is better, as long as you use it for reading and maybe light web browser.
As for battery life, most tablets get you 3-4 hours, and you can get a power bank if you need more, or small travel charger.
Outdoors visibility is something I don't get, if you want to be /out/ why don't you enjoy the scenes instead? and even then a tablet would do just fine.
Reading while commuting is an issue of it's own, I found phones with 5.5"-6" to be the best, tablet and e-readers are too big and bothersome, and if your commute is more than 2 hours, you need to find better place.
As for traveling I found tablet to be the most useful it could double as map as well.
Comfy bed reading can be achieved by installing some apps that dim the screen even further, apps the utilize night mode..
>muh blue light
there are apps that filters it, though IMO I never had sleeping issues.

>smartphones
What's your phone?
And who finishes a book in single setting?
You can set the font size
>ADS
You know you can use FOSS apps.
>Tablet
Cost more? what are you poorfag?
For the price of an e-ink you cna get high end tablet.
>absolutely useless if you already have a phone
You don't know how to use a tablet then.

>>Many models comes locked
>>expensive
Depends on the model. I have cybook for 150 dollars and it's unlocked

>>PDF looks horrible
>>slow refresh rate
>>extremely weak CPU
Doesn't affect reading books in any way.

> tablet and e-readers are too big and bothersome, and if your commute is more than 2 hours, you need to find better place.
I don't know what are you talking about. I commute 3 hours every day, and my device fits perfectly into my bag. It's so small I can carry it in my jean backpocket or my jacket

>just use a smartphone
How can you read with a camera staring you straight in the face?

>And who finishes a book in single setting?
No-one, but not having to worry that much about the battery life is a plus.
>You can set the font size
No shit. It's still uncomfortable to read on a ~5" device because it can only display the equivalent of a medium length Sup Forums post at a time.
>Cost more? what are you poorfag?
No, I'm just not retarded. If I want a device for reading books, I'll get the device that not only costs less, but does a better job.
>For the price of an e-ink you cna get high end tablet.
The kindle paperwhite 3 costs $120, the kobo aura one, which is a high-end e-reader, costs $270, I doubt you could get a high-end tablet for the price of the kobo, let alone the kindle.
>You don't know how to use a tablet then.
Please enlighten me (inb4 watching le netflix and jewtube in bed).

Actually I don't do it, but my brother does read some books in one sitting. Rather large ones too.

>bigly

kobo aura is the easiest to unfuck, you just have to plug it in your pc and add your account manually with sqlite and therefore bypass their store integration bullshit

Implying I give a shit that the NSA knows what fucking books I read.

I read on my tablet a lot but I started a small physical book collection and I remembered the good feelings of reading an actual book. Too bad that it's so expensive.

>why don't you just use a tablet or your phone lol
These threads are always great, you can instantly tell who has never seen an e-ink display in person.
There's really just no argument there, if you like to read an e-reader is easily one of the best purchases you could possibly make if you have the 80$ or whatever a Paperwhite costs now to spare.

Kobo with koreader > Kindle
Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE

I FIND EVEN MOST E-READERS TOO EXPENSIVE

Get the dicks out of your mouth faggot.

Get a used rootable Kindle Fire HD. I got mine for $15 after shipping. Root it. It's so much comfier than a laptop or phone. I like physical books better but not enough to pay $70-100 for one.
>1. My "swindle" isn't connected to the internet, I can lend it out and with it lend out a lot of books all at once.
So can a rooted Kindle.
>2. The whole "you can't buy it with cash" thing is retarded place to start, should we avoid free software because you have to transfer it digitally?
As soon as you can't transfer data anonymously, that's a valid argument. Also
>buying
>3. proprietary software stack is irrelevant on a dumb device.
If it runs software it's not a dumb device. Why not buy something you can root and root it?

Kobo Aura HD, 65 bucks. Yay?

yay

but people should know that on something like your local version of ebay, craiglist, there are probably dozens of older kindles for like $20

I got mine from sister who broke display, and I was poundering if I should order replacement display from aliexpress for some $17 or buy used one... in the end I went with repair and its fine
reading the expanse on it before sleeping

>slow refresh rate
I've seen this complaint before and don't really understand it. Are you turning pages once every couple seconds or something?