Gentoo

Why don't people use Gentoo any more? Am I missing something? Or is everyone getting dumber?

There are more convenient options now, and hardware has gotten powerful enough to where it doesn't really matter what USE flags are enabled even on low-end computers. I still use Gentoo though because I love it

I'm getting dumber.

No m8, it's dumb to use gentoo on the desktop.

no u

People still use Gentoo, it just obviously isn't the solution for everyone even if they're among the ones that use Linux rather than Android or Windows or OSX.

There are other Linux distros out there that fit your needs better if you don't actually want to customize anything in any detail and aren't even doing compiles from source code.

I value my time enough not to.

lol, what a normie.

>lol
You have to go back

>back
where?

.t massive faggot big enough to eclipse the sun.

kys r*ddit scum

Sup Forums invaded with its horde of wintoddlers. Weebs use Arch. Lisp fizzbuzzers switched to Plebian. Chads are still on Gentoo.

Because compiling takes forever and all my use flags were just enabling stuff that I get by default with debian. Gentoo is good for super custom use cases and different archs not for general use.

Implying you're not a normie

Because I just don't care about USE flags and other memes.

I have been using GNU/Linux since 1999: started with Slackware and then in 2008 moved to Arch Linux. For servers always used RHEL and Debian.

I am now considering to move to Gentoo basically because my paranoia is growing. The only thing that stops me at the moment is the lack of time and also that I feel like I should get a new laptop to start from zero (non Intel, non UEFI, and possible not even x86).

All the oldfags use it.

But they're halfway through an emerge so can't post until Tuesday

>all these nerds bitching about compile times
It takes a couple days maybe to get it all set up how you want and then you're good to go, you'd think it was just COMPILING SHIT ALL THe time or something... Hell, even if I am compiling something with all my cores and threads maxed out I can still shitpost here and do other normal shit and barely notice it in the background. Just say you're too lazy to learn or wait and call it a day.

>Not doing needless, useless shit makes you lazy

Ok

based swiftposter

>being O P T I M I Z E D is useless
Ok

Gentoo was never popular

>compiling takes forever
The computer does all the work - you don't even have to be present. If you want to use the computer while it's compiling, make sure to set PORTAGE_NICENESS high enough that it stays responsive enough for you. When in doubt, try setting it to 19.

it is not ideal for distro hoppers like me
compiled 700+ packages 6-7 times on my intel celeron
firefox takes a half day
gcc takes 3 hours

i switched to fedora. it just werks

The difference in performance is insignificant on modern hardware. Stop wasting your time and electricity

I know that but being able to install something in a couple minutes then use it is much better than waiting 10 minutes.

Can't be bothered anymore.

You saying that from experience?
Cause I've noticed a hell of a difference, not an insignificant one... Maybe you just don't know how to configure it properly.

because crux is superior

It has enough users but needs more maintainers/devs, especially ones that can do more than just proxy-maint ebuilds (although that's good too)

Honestly I'm thinking in starting to use gentoo, but since I'm not a really experienced user (I had on my laptop ubuntu and on my desktop debian, but I started to use linux a year ago), I don't know if I can try it without dying in the atempt.

gentoo's version of my wifi driver ( broadcom) is broken. thats literally the reason i am not using it right now xD

there's no better way to learn linux than by eating or dying. So yeah, you can do it, just takes a sitload of reading

It sounds like a realy cool distro .... I gess that I can install a virtual machine, practice for a while and later on, intall it directly on my pc (I know a lot of people thinks that you should use gentoo as your main OS, but i think is better get a sence of the OS before using it as my main computer's OS).
Do you know some good books to learn about gentoo? or should I just stick to the official documentation?

the official documentation is amazing. And if something isn't there you might want to look at the arch wiki which has many useful things as well

Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I understand arch and gentoo are not related distros, then why looking the arch wiki? arch and gentoo are similar?

oh they aren't. But for many questions like "how do i configure my WM?" or "how is grub configured?" this just doesn't matter. Of course, the arch wiki has nothing to say on portage or use flags for example, or on open-rc( if you dont want to use systemd).