/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones

Recent News:
>The 4GB/64GB Nokia 6 (2018) is coming to the Netherlands in Ma for EUR300
>Xiaomi launches Mi LED Smart TV 4A in India
>Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S will be announced in Shanghai on March 27
>Redmi 5 coming to India next week
>Nokia 7 plus sells out in 5 minutes in China
>BlackBerry lawsuit alleges that Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp infringed on BBM patents

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-confirms-Android-8.0-Oreo-updates-several-LG-smartphones_id103029
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to buy a stock Android phone and what brought attention to me were Pixel 2 and Nokia 8. So, my question is: what are the exclusive features that aren't included in Nokia 8? Also, do/will Android One phones have those?

Did you know unbranded phones have unlimited tethering? Because I did not

with the pixel you get unlimited google botnet (cloud) for pics and videos until 2021, the best camera, and updates for 3 years, not sure about the nokia

Nokia 8 cam is shit and already 1 year old so will only get android P. Pixel 2 will get updates to R.

I asked this in the previous thread, but nobody answered.

Is it safe to flash system.img and not lose your user data?

Be more vague please.

god i fucking love GTA IV so much

only reason i still keep a windows partition

I thought I was being direct, to be honest.

I want to try and remove the "There's been an internal error. Contact your manufacturer" error that appears on a reboot. I've uninstalled and reinstalled root, and I've flashed vendor.img once to bring it back to stock, but it doesn't seem to remove the error either.

I'm on a Pixel 2 XL running Android 8.1.0.

Thanks now I know what you're actually trying to do.
So just download and extract the full factory image, edit flash-all.bat to remove the -w near the end of the file then save and run it. It'll do a full factory flash without wiping anything.

whats the deal with the essential phone?

who looks better?

>motorola
ew
the other one obviously

essentially trash

I think it looks cool
funnily enough the mix max 2 is more refined, thoughts on that?

mi max 2 is definitely good for the price, huge screen, really good battery, camera is what you'd expect from a $200 phone tho

Horrible design on Moto

>new MIUI browser update bring unremovable bookmarks to startpage
should I go for lineageOS with xiaomeme kenzo?

Can never find a phone case that has both a slim simple design and protective

>slim
>protective
pick one

nitrogenOS

Elaborate please, good sir.

Please recommend me a nice and cheap phone, i am a poorfag with only 200$ budget

Xiaomi

What model?

phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-confirms-Android-8.0-Oreo-updates-several-LG-smartphones_id103029

Lg g5 confrimed to get Oreo

Cool

you decide retard, just don't get anything on s435 and aim for 625.
even better, wait for note 5 pro to be available on banggood

>""""""confirmed""""" by a carrier's customer support

Anyone have a samsung A5? how is it?

So, probably stupid question:
Since I got one mail address for all the android stuff (google store etc), is it possible to set up a mail client for a separate address without every other app/google accessing and connecting that info?

I would prefer not to mix my uni stuff with "private life" tooo much, but it's probably moot huh

Ye just use a separate app like k9 for the alt mail.

So google (since that app is on the store) would not automatically connect my "android e-mail" with the one I'd use in K9?

are you kidding? they look exactly the same. a black rectangle with one side of glass. same as every other phone that is made these days.

how are cell phones worthy of a single thread much less a general every goddamn day??? they look and function the same way. explain your obsession with these things.

It would not.

Rad, tyvm

For those who use stock android:

How do you keep the google botnet away when it's so deeply integrated in the system and rooting/unlocking is not an option?

Embrace the botnet.
Rooting is always an option unless you bought a fucked device then it's your own dumb fault honestly. You had a choice and you blew it.

>Sweden
>carriers aren't a thing here
>want a CAT indestructible type or really small one I can hide in my welding outfit without getting metal shards, slag or gunk stuck in it
>budget: unlimited, oil rig welder - very wealthy

I'm practiced enough that I don't need audio queues to do a proper job as a welder, thus great sound is a huge plus.

Any tips on such a phone?

I use google services that I find convenient and I don't use google services that I have no desire to use.

It might be shocking but I don't rely on Sup Forums or Sup Forums memes to tell me how to use devices.

Are there any phones with an 18:9 screen with the same physical dimensions as a 5 inch 16:9 phone that costs around 400 bucks or less?

Stock android is only usable because of google tbqhwyf

Not the budget but XZ2 Compact

Any place where I can download Galaxy S8 Stock ROM? Model SM-950U1. I have a download currently running, but it'll take 2 days to download cause shitty pay4download

updato

Thanks, will only take 3 minutes now

>Embrace the botnet.
At this point I am struggling to not to.
>Rooting is always an option unless
I can't afford to lose my warranty or brick my phone right now.

My problem is that some things don't work properly when I replace the stock apps with something else, so I am forced to use these stock apps and thus share everything that I do with google.

New OnePlus 5t 6/64 for $420 a good deal? The 20% of at eBay has me looking to replace my Nexus 6 sooner.

Any of the new notch phones or whatever worth considering instead?

Why do you even have the miui browser installed, just use brave

Thinking about upgrading from a Nexus 5X to a Samsung Galaxy S8 or Google Pixel 2. Which should I choose?

If they're the same price, depends what you prioritize. If you like better shots or stockdroid, go Pixel. If you prefer hardware differences the S8 has, go with S8.

In this case, the Galaxy S8 is cheaper. It's $463.50, and the Pixel 2 is $559.95. I really liked the compact size and form factor of the 5X, and I'm wondering which phone is friendly with that sort of thing. I also tinker with the software (i.e. root and Xposed), so that's another consideration for me.

Also, custom ROM stuff for either phone is also under my consideration.

Bought an Honor 7x, first new phone in like six years. Why is this thing so fucking big? I feel like it's going to fall out of my pocket

The s8 is great if you don't mind samsung software. It's also more waterproof and has a headphone jack.

How about size and tinkering with the software? I like compact phones and do mess with software a lot.

Is there a noticeable difference between Snapdeagon 820 and 835?

pixel will probably always have better community support than any samsung device whether or not that's worth the ~$100 difference is up to you

Thank you! This appears to have worked; I hoped to be able to flash the January 2018 image and natively OTA to March 2018's patch update, but I ended up going ahead and flashing the March 2018 image. Regardless, I don't get that pop-up anymore.

Best IP68 battery with a large (6000+ mAh) battery compatible with Verizon 4G and global bands? Size is not an issue, I actually prefer the larger, bulkier phones. Price is also no issue, as long as it isn't one of those where the battery shits out after a year and it becomes a matter of open heart surgery like a Nexus 6P. Sick and tired of plunking $600 on these soyboy phones dying in less than 6 hours of use after barely a year of owning it.

Looking for a couple cheap android phones, 20-40 dollar range that support 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. Carrier doesn't matter. Using them for Wardriving. Any suggestions?

Then how about size for the S8? Is it good for one-handed use? And how annoying is the location of the fingerprint sensor?

What about importing a CAT smartphone from the US?

Is it any good?

S8 is slightly taller than 5x, but it's less wide. Basically same size though.
You'll have to try it out yourself and see how annoying it might be, some people get used to it really fast, others don't.

I’m still using an iPhone 6 still going strong. What’s the best 3+ yr old android still going strong? I want to switch to a budget android after this phone. Can a budget android last 3 yrs? (for IG, Snapchat, text, email, web browser use only; just fyi I mostly follow, rarely post for IG, snap, so camera doesn’t really matter). If so which one should I look forward to getting? (Ideally less than 250 bucks and works on US T-Mobile bands)

No problems m8. I do this every month to quickly update to the latest patch without fucking about unrooting etc. to take the ota, works flawlessly.

Are there any FOSS epub readers for android?

/spg/, talk me out of getting a XZ1 Compact for 350€.

Good price, go for it.

B-but I wanted to wait for Nokia 7 Plus.
Why is the XZ1 so cute? Apart from the 720p resolution and not being stock Android it's literally perfect.

Overpriced.

Are Bluetooth headsets a good alternative to the headphone jack, if I'm not an audiophile?

You think so? It's got pretty beefy specs and basically everything I want in a phone, I don't care about OLED that much.

Performance not so much, battery life yes, sd835 phones get 2-3hrs more SOT

Isn't the XZ2 releasing soon? Wait for that to see a price drop.

Is there even enough of a difference between an X and XZ1 compact to justify the price difference.

Woops
meant for

yes
id probably just save for a couple of months and get the sequel when it gets a nice sale

>no headphone jack
>rear fingerprint sensor
>ugly as fuck design

Meh. The only thing that this phone has going for it is the bump in resolution and specs, which I don't need anyways. Also, I don't want/can't wait until prices drop.

then find the 1 compact for cheaper because 350 is overpriced

At what price would you recommend it? I can't see how 350 is overpriced when similarly specced phones go for 400-500€ (OP5T, Huawei View 10, Galaxy S8, etc.)

Hi, can someone recommend me a phone thats $200? Not the redmi note 4 pls.

any phones that arent fuckhuge and also dont cost an arm and a leg? I've been looking at the xz1 compact but fuck it's expensive

Got a tmobile version of the S8+. What's the best ROM available?

planning on getting a note 4 for music/ebooks while underway.

worth it?

fbreader is alright, but since i have an ereader i prefer using that for my epubs

snapdragon samsungs have no ROMs

Why is that?

locked bootloader

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development

COUSIN LETS GO BOWLING

Since a lot of people here are using older / non-flagship phones, are there any recommended F-Droid apps useful for these less powerful devices?

Not talking about things like Newpipe that are universally useful. Things specifically meant to make using these lower end devices better.

Best F-Droid apps?

I've narrowed it down
which one should i get?
honor 6x or the moto g5s?

Moto Z2 Play or wait for the Z3 Play?

Simple apps
newpipe
Shattered dungeon
Alts for sys apps

Is the Mi Note 3 the best chink camera phone?

>that feel when it's not coming to the United States

>tfw fell for the moto x4 pre-order meme to replace my dying 5x
>no multi-bluetooth connectivity
>they start replacing dead 5x's with moto x4's for free
I want to choke google

I managed to get a new S7 for $279.99, which seems like a super good deal since I am upgrading from a S5.

load up a custom rom and you have a phone good for the next 10 years