How do we get rid of this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxcontainers.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I stopped caring when they went CE vs EE

I don't know.

AWS + Docker + CI/CD ops (there isn't even any dev as in devops here) is still the hottest skill for 2018. It's demand is rising. Learn AWS + Docker + CI/CD to instantly make lots of money. Old banks, government and government organisations around the world are switching to containerized microservice on AWS literally right now.

They are up for a rude awakening, as costs will increase on all fronts while performance suffers.

What's wrong with it?

This technology is really helping us do our job

Use lxc

We don't, but you can use rkt or systemd-nspawn if you prefer.

Good thing these came along though, they are useful.

I've been liking docker. Been using it for everything for the last few months. Having things just werk on any box is great. What don't you like about it?

The people who talk shit about Docker on Sup Forums have never used it or done any real work pre docker era, so they don't know how good we have it now.

The concept of containerization is fine but docker and systemd are the two popular things right now and they are both meme solutions designed to compete with heavyweight VMs. I miss when all we needed were BSD jails.

This, dont use the pile of shit that is docker use the real thing.

>systemd
>designed to compete with heavyweight VMs

what did he mean by this

I'm not kidding, systemd is THAT bloated by now

does it have some kind of containerization baked in?

systemd-nspawm

Not that user but systemd uses cgroups. Seriously by now I wouldnt use systemd for production.

you can run systemd units inside containers and inside VMs, why you would want/need your init system to be able to do this, i have no idea

Why is Docker a meme solution?

how do i get into docker

because static linking

It's the same problem that all these cloud software vendors have these days which is that they're going after the big accounts which is fortune 500s that own massive data centers. So they make a bloated and complicated product for them and then market it heavily so that developers at those companies will beg their boss to let them use it, then they swoop in and charge them for added "services" and proprietary addons.

Meanwhile as this user said other managers at smaller companies get enamored with it ignoring that it's complete overkill for most businesses. They don't care that it's a waste of time and money, all they see is that it's easier to hire people who have "Docker" on a resume because a big company has likely already vetted the hire and the product.

All virtualization shit in 2018

it's probably a product of the numale startup phase. they pump out shit like this in hopes microsoft will buy them out but when they don't they end up just abandoning the program or it eventually dies of bloat.

You faggots are worse than gamers. At least gamers pay for most of the products that they complain about.

Unless you're a mid-level manager at a company that either owns a data center or is paying upwards of 10k a month in AWS fees then there really isn't anything to pay for.

holy shit, systemd is my favorite Windows derivative OS now

We have a couple k8s clusters in our data centers for running more stateless junk. We run the majority of our supporting services and data pipeline applications on it. Makes things easier the most part.

no it really isn't.

Docker ain't even virtualization. It's basically Zones/Jails

*namespaces

lxd, basically lxc 2.0 ( linuxcontainers.org/ )

Too bad it's Youbunghole that is sponsoring the tech.

I dunno man, docker really helped us simplify our build pipelines and server fleet. I wonder if the people knocking it manage more than their personal projects and a single server.

kek

It's more about the tools than the underlying technology. Docker pull whatever and Dockerfiles were the killer features.

>lets put everything in one big server what could go wrong?

I agree with what you are saying, BUT
to come back up and running, is as simple as
1) Restore backup volumes with a single command from a service like tarsnap
2) re-download all of your docker-compose files,
3) docker-compose up -d all your services,

Putting aside download times, the processing time to get everything back up is probably less than 5 minutes.

I also dont want to come across as a complete defense of docker. The images that are built still run a lot of processes as root which they are not supposed to for security reasons, i am not sure if they got around to fixing the issue for this but its been open for as long as docker has existed.

No, I’m sorry you miss the point of Docker. I use it at work with a bunch of containers doing various tasks and it’s great.

>he doesn’t know about Docker swarm

girlslaughing.jog

How _is_ docker any different from a BSD Jail?