/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread | Extra Friendly Edition <3

Previous thread: →

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

linkedin.com/jobs/search/?keywords=thales group&location=Worldwide&locationId=OTHERS.worldwide
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/ata/libata-core.c#n4533
forums.freebsd.org/threads/ssd-trim-maintenance.56951/#post-328912
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mouse_polling_rate#Set_polling_interval
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758065#c77
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

How do I enable copy pasting on photoshop being run through wine?
It's kind of important, and creating a registry key as suggested by my irl friend did not work.

AppImages are the future
AppImages gonna kill every distro that isnt source based tho
We need more games packed as AppImages

is it a good idea to install a tiling window manager?

Delete the OP image, I don't like it.

Unfriendly sage.

Why friendoo??
It's Friday, let's love each other!!!1!

Delete this post too.

Cold sage.

I dont know if i'm just a fucking brainlet however.
I'm trying to set up my X60 with OpenBSD, it installed and i've rebooted into x, and i'm now trying to install wifi drivers (wpi-firmware)
The problem is, whenever i do fw_update -p /mnt/flash i get an error about unsigned packages; and then even if i do -Dunsigned=true i get an error stating that it's not a ustar archive, which it blatantly is.
I cant install over the network since i don't have access to ethernet right now.
Any anons come across the same thing? i cant find shit about it online.

Delete yourself

>It's Friday
Not in Australia.

Any of you (((guys))) use an ERD. I'm using draw.io but want something on my Desktop, using Solus btw

Has anyone used lynx browser? I am trying to make a script that tells me how many job postings a company has worldwide.

For instance
linkedin.com/jobs/search/?keywords=thales group&location=Worldwide&locationId=OTHERS.worldwide

I logged in through lync, but when I get to what it would be the desired page I just see "".

When I do
lynx -dump -listonly to extract the links from the page I only get this link.

References
1. android-app://com.linkedin.android.jobs.jobseeker/https/www.linkedin.com/jobs/thales-group-jobs

Which happens to be an "Alert!: Unsupported URL scheme!".

I hit a wall. Any ideas on this? Indeed it's been a cakewalk in comparison.

Posting illegal girl to foster friendliness.

>How do I enable copy pasting on photoshop being run through wine?
It should work OOB.

Do I need to install tp_smapi if I already have acpi_call?

Can someone please tell me if there is a distro like arch that is minimalistic?

>Any ideas on this?
Try user agent spoofing, use the user agent of any modern firefox/chrome/opera

void linux is probably pretty close. I haven't used it myself but I know the idea is minimalism while providing new packages

Fuck Islam. Islam is cancer. Go away terrorist scum!

Trying this. Thanks for the suggestion.

How can I change the sizes of my logical partitions?
I want to remove some space from my home partition and allocate it to my root partition. How can I do this in Debian?

I fixed it, the solution was to give up, go home and use a ethernet cable.

You put an live distro on a USB drive (debian live, ubuntu, something) then you can use gparted to do all of that with ease.

I tried doing that with a debian installer USB, but when I tried to change the logical drives it said it'd format the existing ones first.

This is why I said use a live system. Use gparted, a full featured partition manager, it will let you resize your home logical partition, resize your extended partition which contains your home and extend your root.

Okay I'll give it a go, thanks.

My only Linux experience is a VPS I rent. I slapped Ubuntu 16.04 on it because I figured I'd be able to find loads of resources on things I wanted to do (deploy Node services and a Postgres instance) on Ubuntu, and I didn't have any issues.

That said, I got a Thinkpad because of the eBay sale today, and was wondering what distro to use. I'm planning to do something with Java/Spring soon Arch sounds appealing because apparently it's got really up-to-date packages? Out-of-date packages on Ubuntu were pretty annoying when they came up.

Any advice?

ubuntu 18.04LTS since you already have experience with ooboontoo

PCLinuxOS, all batteries included

Oh, so my previous experience outweighs whatever else? Alright, then. Thanks, m8

Fedora is cutting edge and doesn't break everyday like arch. I think you can have the best experience by NOT using the last stable release. If the last stable is 27, use 26.

The old stable will at any point be at most one year old. It's unlikely to contain any one year old version of any software.

16.04 is a long term support release. Ubuntu releases new versions every six months.

I see.

Oh. Lol. Things I'd know if I'd bothered to take even 30 seconds to research in the year or two I've been using that VPS.

I think in the end, I'm going to try Fedora and Ubuntu 17.10 on a VM. I guess it'll be interesting poking around Linux outside of a terminal.

Any idea why my system freezes up, gets incredibly slow and needs a reboot if i play around with the windows (snapping to one side, resizing, etc) even if they are closed? Running kubuntu 17.10

So I'm at Scale 16x at the moment and no one is talking about ricing, i3 or fun shit. They just wanna make money and advertising their services.

The Gentoo booth was interesting to see, but they only had a demo computer.

I've got it running. What do I do now?
There's a padlock on the LVM and I'm not sure how to change the sizes from here.

Is this also the friendly vim thread?
If so, how do I indent my current line number like this guy?

Oh, it's a feature of hybrid numbers, not for regular old line numbers.

What's your memory usage when that happens?
If you can replicate it, then when it happens change to another free tty via ctrl-alt-f[1-12], log in and type "free" to see current mem usage.

I cant tell what it is because the screen is basically frozen, htop included

So I just updated VLC 2 to 3 and the UI has some drawing issues (see pic related) and is generally smaller than it was before. Is there anything I should try?

You can't even switch tty's?

meant for

Just log free or top to a file and replicate the freeze.
while true; do free >> memory.log; sleep 1; done

Ive seen conflicting information should I use the discard option in fstab or fstrim timer?

HOLD MY SPORK, I'M GOING IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try wget and copy cookies from your browser.

Stop posting hatespeech in the friendly linux thread.

Neat™

Depends, but the fstrim is safer in most cases.
Also some SSDs have buggy TRIM, they are blacklisted in the kernel, so if you have one those, don't do TRIM.
>git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/ata/libata-core.c#n4533

Also read this from Ts'o if you want to know more about TRIM in the kernel and what method to use.
>forums.freebsd.org/threads/ssd-trim-maintenance.56951/#post-328912

I under provision most of my drives so no need for TRIM, plus they last longer.

I can even drag it to make it bigger...

How do I get the file picker to show thumbnails? Using budgie if that matters.

File picker isnt your de/wm, it is part of QT/GTK.
For gtk2 and gtk3 there is a "filechooser" thumbnail patch that can be applied to the gtk 2 and gtk3 source. Check your repo's for a "filechooser" packages for gtk2 and gtk3, if not you will have to manually create a package for your package manager(easily done one most distros)

Why do burqas make me so angry? It's so goddamn medieval.

They make me rock hard m8

It's just their culture.

They'd make me hard in a sort of hatefuck fashion if most muz girls weren't potato-faced and annoying

i don't get the picture, if the costume isn't her culture, why is it being pointed out as if it was?

"Culture" that didnt exist until more recently.
Check back on the middle east in the 40's-70's. Women were out in public in western clothes. Men were out in western clothes. It was a normal place that you could see in the USA or Europe even.

Its not "culture" its a hate garment

It's from some SJW campaign against Halloween being racist. The slogan is intended to point out the "racism" in people wearing indian costumes or whatever. They picked a very poor example to use for their point. Which makes it look as if suicide bombing is their culture.

To top it off, this supposedly devout Muslim girl is wearing Western clothing.

>"You might think that by 2016"
>literally starts with
oh boy

I'm on Arch and am having trouble installing Apparmor. Is there an alternative mandatory access control I can use? I want to sandbox Steam and wine so I can waste time playing video on my PC while keeping my system relatively secure from bioluminescent Africans.
I was hoping to use a Apparmor since I'm a brainlit and wanted to use fire jail too easily sandbox.

Also, why don't the lazy Arch devs package these two kernel modules themselves?

I'm an idiot, but can't you just run it as a different user with locked down permissions? Getting hacked through steam and wine is already unlikely. Pirated games are the main concern.

Dunno how much you want to protect yourself but here's how I do it:

-create new user 'jailuser' who doesn't have permission to read most of the file system
-create jail shortcut shell scripts to run programs as that user without logging in

~/jailshortcuts/discord-jailed.sh
xhost +local: && sudo -u jailuser /home/jailuser/programs/Discord/Discord

It's pretty quick, just open a terminal, cd jailshortcuts, bash discord-jailed.sh. You'll probably get no audio as it doesn't have permission this way, so if you need full permissions like audio and whatnot just switch logins to the jail user. You can see that it works when you try to upload files/etc. you can't access anything jailuser doesn't have permission for.

I've been googling around and trying to figure out how, but i cant find a way to change my mouse polling rate.
The best guide i found was this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mouse_polling_rate#Set_polling_interval
but still doesnt work. I want to put my mouse at 250 Hz or 500 Hz but following this steps it doesnt change.
Anyone know how to change polling rate in xubuntu 16.04? its a cheap logitech office mouse if that even matters.

I'd like to procrastinate with games and go back to doing something relatively productive smoothly without having to log out or reboot my entire computer like I do now.
I found the following on the wiki for it's get lab page
>The AppArmor project source is split between the kernel module, available in the Linux kernel and git development tree and the user space tools available in launchpad.
>AppArmor is in the upstream kernel as of 2.6.36.AppArmor is in the upstream kernel as of 2.6.36.
I use an trochus to install a minimal Arch Linux environment and I'm using colonel 4.15. I may have it installed already and not realize it but I'm not sure how to check and doesn't seem

I was going to make a guest account on this machine anyway. If I don't get audio, however, it will be only marginally more convenient than dual booting into windows with the exception that I would not feel bad having game-related resources on my second monitor w/ Firefox.

By the way, I realize I have been trying to install the package "apparmor" but the Wiki page says to install "linux-apparmor." The former is a meta package that was probably not installing because it doesn't install the actual kernel-module itself. Installing the proper package mentioned on the Wiki page causes me to hit a wall, giving me an error message that I don't have the pgp key. This is probably the actual issue I've been having with App Armor.
It's still ridiculous a torch doesn't package the two main mandatory access control modules when every other big distro has one of the two pre-installed.

if I could get audio playback your method might work for me though as my main concern is stopping the Steam client from reading my file system because Valve is simply too big not to have been approached by (insert Sup Forums boogeyman here.)

Did you load the kernel module?

whats that
how do i do that

What type of mouse is it? Is there special firmware needed to configure the mouse's extra settings?

Clearly you didnt read the link you posted then

>If I don't get audio, however, it will be only marginally more convenient than dual booting into windows
You only won't get audio if you use sudo -u to run the program as the jail user while logged in as your main user. That's just for convenience if you want to run something jailed while staying logged in as your main user. Not every program doesn't have audio this way, just some, due to some lack of permissions (adding jailuser to the 'audio' group may fix it for some).
If you just log out and log in to the jail user everything'll work fine. That's much faster than rebooting into Windows, Windows takes like 5 minutes from power on to usable at the desktop for me where switching users on Linux is like 2 seconds.

Logitech B100, and i dont know of any special firmware for this or anything.
i followed every step in "set polling interval"

okay so i type "modprobe" to load a module irght?
skull@T420:/usr/lib$ modprobe hidusb
modprobe: FATAL: Module hidusb not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic

is this the issue

Okay, I didn't realize that I could run a program as a user I'm not logged in as. I was going to just set up a pass-through for my GPU but I don't want to have two video cards on my system in sacrifice that good one for Windows games if I ever want to edit video. Hopefully someday in the future consumer video cards will be able to work for a host and guest OS at the same time.
I'll create a guest account once I fix KDE plasma and look up the Wiki page on user permissions. Plasma starts up into a blank screen can you think it has something to do with I do mot I run fucking up video compositing. I'm hoping it will start working again when I reinstall the plasma meta package.

I was intending to create guest account for any non-technical people who might visit. In particular have a niece who keeps asking to use my gaming PC since it has two monitors and a backlit keyboard and mouse. she hasn't seen my i3 rice. I wonder if a 10 year old would think I'm a super hacker for having half of my tasks running in brightly colored terminals.

OK, I feel like a total retard right now. I've installed Debian many times before but always with XFCE. I just decided to try installing it with KDE and it didn't add me to root, and I don't see a way to log into root through sddm. What am I supposed to do to get right? I can't install anything...

That's unbelievably repulsive. kys asap.

There's a terminal command you can use to add a user to the root group, but I can't remember it. otherwise you should be able to install yourself to her directly with apt in your terminal. you'r only fucked if you don't remember you were password for root.

KDE is not nearly as bad as some of the shit posters would tell you. I love it so much that I continue using their software even in i3.

control + alt + f2
login as root
add your self to /etc/sudoers
add your self to the "wheel" group
logout
control +alt + f1
Login like normal

If you don't know root PW stop at grub and edit init=/bin/bash to boot into a root shell

You should try mpv

Worst one I've ever seen. 0/10 literally zero aesthetic.

Which linux do you guys recomd for old laptp

1gb ram
128mb geforce
Intel core duo 1,66ghz

Is Linux Mint with Cinnamon considered lightweight? I have a laptop with 2GB RAM and battery that lasts 3 hours.

not really, no

how do i fix photoshop, im running it thro playonlinux
not copy pasting pictures unless i take a screenshot

text works too, only when i right click to copy and ctrl v to paste

What would you recommend to someone who's new to Linux?

mint with cinnamon isn't a bad choice
the lighter you get, the more you need to understand, since going lighter typically means dropping the 'frills' that make things easier on people who don't know what they're doing
if you have an interest in it, then do some research and play around with alternatives, it does little good to suggest light stuff to people, as picking things based on need depends entirely on what /you/ need, which is a personal thing. what works for me might not work for you

Why you stealing my question you unfriendly faggot.

how to merge two text files into a one like so

X.Y
>where Y is the first or second text file
>and X is the first, second, third, Nth line within that text file

will there ever be a better solution to nvidia optimus than bumblebee?

annoying how I get graphic bugs and screen tearing if I want acceleration everywhere vs having to manually launch shit with the graphics card in terminal

I don't want to have my close my browser/relaunch with primusrun to get super deep throat to run at more than 10 fps, ya know

Thanks. Will try!

Fuck off. Just go to Sup Forums and die. This is not the place to demonstrate your retardation.

2 for loops and a program that reads the xontent of the first file and the second file, then creates new file and pastes 1sr and 2nd into it

Does anyone else ever sometimes feel "unflexible" using a tiling wm?
I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong or what. But sometimes I even let my desire to just leave my windows as they are dictate what I end up doing.

press ctrl W in i3
make meta space for floating

Rejoice!
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758065#c77

Now we just have to wait for a new GTK3 release.

Anything that isn't bloated and "modern" will work. Lubuntu is a fork of Ubuntu with a lighter desktop environment.

Great. Now they just need to make it possible to do typeahead instead of that bullshit search thing, and also add thumbnails.

So basically for every problem we get fixed we get 2 more retarded "features". Do these developers even use their own product?

>ppl dont realize these posters are framing Sup Forums and are not Sup Forumssters