I want to get into Java, but a friend told get into kotlin instead...

I want to get into Java, but a friend told get into kotlin instead? I have some oop background but I haven't researched a lot about kotlin

java is sshit just used to make money and pay debt to live happy with your lovely happy, take vacations to the beach and eat every night.
so choose kotlin

>I want to get into Java
Why?
>a friend told get into kotlin instead?
If you're trying to do Android development, then yes, get into Kotlin rather than Java. It's a language that adds a bunch of niceties to Java (which it is built on) and then compiles down to normal Java.

java to kotlin is like c to c++, its just builds on top of java and ads a ton of new features, but the underlying behavior stays the same

What's your goal?

Not OP, but I want to start into android development. I've never used java, should I learn it or should I start directly with kotlin?

Open more doors, since c# is becoming a dead end for me,

Build some portafolio or something

>Open more doors
learn java if you want to be employable

This. If you know java you cam do android (pretty sure most android dev companies are using java. Only startup/hipster ones are using kotlin), web backend, something else

Kotlin tutorials assume you know Java and they share many tools, so naturally you should know both.

As an Android developer I would highly recommend start learning with kotlin since Google is going balls deep with it BUT you still have to know some Java since both are interoperable and the community hasn't yet completely moved to kotlin.

>c# is becoming a dead end for me

Java/JVM backend dev here, could you elaborate? Cause I'm super jealous of all the nice stuff you have inbuilt into your language. How's it a deadend?

As for your question: Both. Once you know one you'll know the other because you NEED to know how the language compiles into the lower-level bytecode if you're every dealing with the enterprise java ecosystem. I'd suggest starting with Java since that's the base Kotlin is built on

>Java since that's the base Kotlin is built on
To elaborate, Kotlin is essentially Java 2.0, or Java as it'd look like today if they broke their backwards compatibility contract and fixed all the shit that is broken in the language

Since Java itself is super simple you can learn it in a few days and everything you learned will transfer to Kotlin

Really the language itself is not as important as the entire ecosystem around it. You will spend more time on frameworks such as Spring than the language you use as interface to access those frameworks

why did you make the distinction between startup and hipsters

Don't get me wring I still love c#, but I feel that where I live the job offers between c# and Java are like 10-90, lots of Java offers so, I want to learn so I get some of that too

Learn Java first. And then learn Scala, fuck Kotlin.

Get into Dart, you'll want to learn Flutter since it's what's going to be used on Fuchsia.

I like C# more as a language than Java, by far.
But literally its only selling point is fucking Mono.
The language is good, but the C# VM sucks ass.

It doesn't hurt to learn C# since a lot of the knowledge will translate to any C syntax language, but GL finding work for C# itself and if you start your own new projects with C# then you're an idiot.
And hell even if you learn C# for Unity, it seems most devs use JS, because why not? Using C# doesn't give any performance advantage as it's all transpiled in the end.

Scala nigger.
>muh Android development though
Android development is a fucking clusterfuck that shouldn't exist.

Learn java then kotlin. You will have to know java if you want a job.

Scala is not 100% interoperable with java. Kotlin is.

>Since Java itself is super simple you can learn it in a few days
as a java dev for a few years now i feel like that's a scam comment. yeah you can write a hello world pretty easily but the language has some gotchas that can take a while to get your head around especially if its your first lang

climb a wall of dicks and then cry because kotlin is best

anyone have good experience using lombok? those of you praising kotlin as being java 2.0 might be interested to look at it, it looks like it adds newer features straight into java

he's a professional C# dev, I doubt he'll have issues with Java

nice trips, and yeah i missed the context there. C# -> java shouldn't be too much hassle

for web dev, dotnetcore is starting to look quite good feature-wise. me thinks ms, for once, went in the right direction with the trio of dotnetcore, dotnet and dotnet standard. c# is quite a robust language with many useful sugar syntaxes. hopefully it starts gaining some serious ground next year.

Who cares? Scala has a better type system.

>I want to get into Rock but a friend told get into electronicore instead?

Yeah m8 I like electronicore better too, but if you're new to music you're better off familiarizing yourself with one of the major genres rather than my personal little niche favorite.

>And hell even if you learn C# for Unity, it seems most devs use JS
Not sure where you are getting this from, most tutorials and documentation for Unity is in C#, pretty hard to find much with Unity and js these days

is there any particular reason why we haven't heard of extension methods in the works for java? they give me such a hardon

LMAO
It simply defaults to C#. There's a fucking button to change ALL the documentation to Javascript.

Kotlin is Java with syntactic sugar. Only use it when you get fed up with all the boilerplate you need to write in Java to do the most menial task.

Why would you ever use JS over C# ?
Are you a masochist ?
If you want performance write your own engine on C++

Your friend probably already knows Java and moved to Kotlin.
You should do the same. Java first, then Kotlin.

No shit nigger. Why are most of the official tutorials in C#? Why do docs it default to C#? Could it be - *gasp* - that most devs are using C# over JS?

What is scala used for?

fuck all that shit learn haskell

Accurate software

like what

Mostly enterprise shit that requires massive concurrency to squeeze out all the performance from dozens and dozens of CPU cores.

Scala adds a massive runtime library on top of Java to facilitate all this, so deploying Scala code to Android devices is a no-go.

>Google
>new framework

I'm afraid to touch anything Google comes up with. They don't fully commit and let frameworks whither when things don't go their way immediately. The only exception was Android, which came fully baked before being acquired by Google.

I work as a software engineer for an oil and gas company.
I do most of my work in Scala these days.

We had a huge Java infrastructure in place, like most enterprises.
We wanted something nimble enough to use it in scripts and small applications, but we needed it to integrate with the existing libraries. Scala does both of these.