"Dumb Phones"

Anyone on Sup Forums use an older handset? If so, what model and why? Any fun modifications exist for it?

I recently washed my Moto Maxx in the washing machine, so I went back to a much older device that's nostalgic to me and my childhood, The Motorola V3! When I was younger and had this device, I had no idea how many mods existed for it. Now that I'm older, it's fun to look on the internet archives and try out enabling/disabling some locked-down features and stuff. I have the Verizon variant so that's a pretty common thing...

i am using pigeons to communicate

Nice blog post, OP. Upvoted!

Brah I reminisce about game boys and pokemon but that's as far as those fantasies go
>I suggest u do the same

I just write stuff on public walls with poo

Haha! Upboated! Thanks Reddit!

What's wrong with having a device that only does talk and text? "Smartphones" are just another avenue for government surveillance. At least with this shit they only know my fake name's location when I have it on. :/

I use the Alcatel Go Flip
>Front screen is broken
>KaiOS is shit and email doesn't work
>Can make calls/text and has a bad web browser
I don't have anyone to talk to so this phone is good enough to recieve important calls and messages for school and whatnot. I wouldn't recommend it outright, but it's $20 so you pay for what you get.

Reddit is that way

To add, I've been using this thing for 3 months and the only thing I miss is GPS navigation. Everything else is completely fine

>His phone OS is literally a HTML and Javascript interpreter
I've heard bad things... And that thing looks gigantic, what the fuck.

>My Soyboy-approved smartphone is totally not Reddit!!

I keep my c702 around for when my smartphone craps out.
I really whish it was possible to make such a perfect phone with modern hardware.
The problem with these old phones is there isn't software updates, there is even less free software than on android.
The software was generally better on feature phones but that was mostly because they had better opportunities to make a decent interface.

any dumbphone under $20?

>5+2013
>not communicating through campfires

I can totally agree. However, as a person that doesn't have any need for a device that does more than allow calls and texts (Mainly for work, boss got angry he couldn't contact me), there really isn't anything wrong with using an older device like the V3. Exploitable software is hardly a concern when you consider it's already a government backdoor, alongside any other new device of today.

I'd also never in my life try to use some kind of productive software on this thing... Yikes, that'd be a headache.

You can get lightly used ones on ebay for super cheap. Pic related I got for $20 on ebay, looked like it was used for a month.

but maps, drive, gmail, whatsapp, music dual sim so you can have both personal and work number in same phone.

If you can't control yourself from wasting time on phone get something like lg wine flip or some of those ultra small chink phones with 2.4" screen.

How's your ping?

Maps I use my car's nav, drive is a botnet (I have my own home server), gmail is a botnet (I have a email server on my VPS), whatsapp is a botnet (And not used in the USA), dual sim dumbphones exist.

I can control myself, I just have a Thinkpad for any other work-related things I need to get done.

Always wanted a Razr when it still was new. There is no cooler-looking dumbphone.

>awoo
Fuck off.

No doubt, when I was a kid everyone thought I was the coolest for having one. B)

Nice thinkpad, and that has to be the ugliest Nokia I have ever seen. Excellent work!

Wow, cringecombo

When I fulfill my teenager dream and get a Razr myself, we can exchange numbers and call eachother for when we wanna meet up.

I see my phone as a communication device.
Call and SMS is two functions that facilitate that, but it is far from the only ways I communicate.
One major way is through emails.
I have 3 email accounts I use and one crucial part of this is disk encryption as it is illegal to not have this when you store emails locally.
The majority of the time, I respond to emails from my computer, but having the notification on my phone gives me an opportunity to not check my computer all the time and respond when I am not at my computer.
Email does work on the dumbphone I have, but I can't have more than one account, disk encryption is not possible and it only have edge for internet, so I need to manually fetch emails.
Basically it doesn't do emails.
Exploits in software is not a huge concern, there is not a lot of ways to connect to the phone, so that limits the attack vectors.
Smartphones are much worse in terms of security as some idiot decided to put the OS on a ROM and the rest of the morons keep repeating this mistake.
I doubt I will get a good phone before I have the money and time to make one myself.
You people are why we can't have nice things

>trashpad
>v3

We're not in 2005, my friend.

Yeah, email is indeed a nice feature to have on a device specifically made for communication. I do know some dumbphones have email (Including the V3 I believe), but as you said, probably very very limited.

My fix for this is that I have a Thinkpad X200 I carry with me on-the-go for email and any other internet-related function (Full disk encryption, of course!). My only gripe with not having a smartphone is that I can't use a wireless hotspot to connect my Thinkpad to the internet anywhere.

Not the biggest deal, especially when Wi-Fi is as prevalent as it is. Public AP's and VPN's are very useful.

You cant tether over bluetooth with v3 just fine only you're limited to edge speeds. Still works fine with google chrome compression for emergencies.

Or you can upgrade to v3x and have ~1.5mbit bluetooth tether over 3G.

Wow, didn't know that. Unfortunately I've ripped the bluetooth modules out of my machines lol... Unfortunate also the V3x doesn't look as sexy as the V3. i'll look into this, though. Thanks!

I can't get a dumb phone anywhere

Why is it so hard and expensive? I don't want an OS at all . Why can't companies understand this

economies of scale
companies crank out smartphones and their component parts by the literal boatload, making them so cheap, most service providers will simply GIVE you a free smartphone when you sign up, and it'll actually be half-way decent budget smartphone.

Sometimes they'll still have dumb GSM flip-phones, and you can still use them if you want but they cost the same as a smartphone and can't even utilize 4G LTE data, meaning you'd be paying for service you CAN'T use.

With buying old/used ones how do I know if it's a phone that's even usable in the modern day

Go ask your service provider, ask for their operating bands.
Make sure the phone you want can use those bands, different countries use different bands.
If it's a GSM phone, they can just give you a SIM card and it'll work, if it's compatible with their bands.

are there any new dumbphones worth buying these days or is it all trash?

I really don't understand what bands are

Also what is this 3g 4g stuff?

Do companies not do 1g anymore? What is the G?
Holy fuck I hate technology guys I hate it a lot

Nice stickers. Gotta let everyone(yourself) know you're different

why are you on the technology board if you hate technology?
even old and antiquated technology is still tech

What do you think a phone is?
It's a portable radio device.
How the fuck do you think it can transmit voice and receive network packets?

I dont understand what you're trying to say here?

That the most indestructible phone to ever exist.

Also the gum-like sides were supposed to blink and spell text in air but never worked.

Attached: airtext.jpg (398x150, 22K)

what model is it

well, so I can't get online 24/7. good reason?

>internet connected phoen
BOTNET

Thats just as bad a botnet as as martphone!

BOTNET BOTNET BOTNET!

Omg, I loved that phone

am i ironic retro yet

Attached: 1520250658875.jpg (1103x827, 121K)

can i use this?

I use a BQ Aquaris E4.5 with Ubport. It does all I need and it works perfectly fine.

Attached: touchicon-192.png (192x192, 10K)

Me in the middle

>Holy fuck I hate technology guys I hate it a lot

GET THE FVCK OF THIS BOARD

NOW !

Cant use dumb phones here, the telcos are turning off GSM

I had a Nokia Twist, but it twisted itself apart.
Now I have a Pantech Jest. I only call or text. Physical Keyboard and small form factor are all i need.

Attached: Nokia-7705-Twist-12.jpg (800x600, 101K)

how do i know what phones are allowed on my service

how do i know if gsm is good

Long live the N9.

Attached: memes.jpg (6000x4000, 3.69M)

no u

It's a z5 compact :(

Got one of those too, its the perfect size and wonderfully thicc.

Attached: DSC02509.jpg (6000x4000, 1.12M)

The MemePad is okay by itself, but yeah those two things together made me cringe. Other than scaring off women, why would you walk around using a Razr in 2018?

Anyone else using the new nokia 3310 3g? I just got mine in burgerland on at&t network.

Attached: 8F1BAD0C-A906-418B-A891-50A5B0338BCE.jpg (148x350, 32K)

I'm using it. It's shit. The battery runs out in about a week and you can pocket call the emergency number super quickly.

>3g

KEK they will kill 3g soon

Yeah i nearly found that out the hard way already.

they fucking called me back one time (I'm in NZ) and I dismissed the call lmao

>Anyone on Sup Forums use an older handset? If so, what model and why? Any fun modifications exist for it?

I got a Kyocera DuraXA. It's a modern flip phone with IP68 rating. It goes nicely with my librebooted X200.

galaxy pocket
2.8"
rootable, can rom up to kitkat
has 2G/3G bands I need
has wifi
can run chat apps and email
no front facing camera
found for the price of a lunch

I want a Series 40-level phone again.
AFAIK Microsoft holds the license and didn't sell it back to Nokia / HMD Global, right? (unlike Series 30+)

Got one last year on on offer. Nice, neat lightweight, metal back.

Attached: Nokia-230_Nokia-230-Dual-SIM_featured-1024x496.jpg (1024x496, 73K)

Can you even connect to a carrier with the original 3310?

Why not ditch the phone entirely? It's not like anyone calls you

The laptop is hurting me to look at, but I use older handsets.

The Nokia 5165 I had used for years was dropped, thrown, sat on, and washed among other things numerous times and never gave out. Eventually the battery started wearing down and the carrier (Cingular) was absorbed by AT&T who gave me a free phone (a Nokia 6085H) to replace it, since they were discontinuing support.

The 6085H actually supports Macromedia Flash applications on top of Java. Extremely versatile phone. If I hadn't lost the damn charger I'd still be using it.

Now we reach the present: a Samsung SGH-S390G. It's pretty okay, supports Java a lot better than the Nokia. Battery life is a lot shorter, though, and the carrier isn't as good. Camera is a lot nicer though, and Wifi is a nice touch.

I use a Galaxy S5 with Lineage OS. Not quite a dumb phone, but I thought I'd recommend it here for a few reasons. It can still call and text like dumb phones, but has an amazing OLED display, good support for FOSS versions of Android with no Google shit, and can also work great for emails, maps, music, and some web browsing. It even has a mSD slot. I'm also well aware of the privacy issues with the modem, its baseband software, and the bootloaders. That's why I remove the battery when I want privacy. It's probably the best smartphone you can get if you want Lineage OS, an SD slot and removable battery. It even has USB 3.0. And to top it all off, you can grab one off ebay in good condition for like $130.

Attached: KyWcor0.png (557x605, 67K)

Fuck off with your cancer

>reeeee it doesn't have enough buttons I don't like it
Literal autism.

Is there ANYTHING in the US that uses T-mobiles 3g and 2g bands that's a dumb phone? As far as I can see, I'm stuck on the iPhone I bought 3 years ago and I hate it. It's such an addicting detraction and I want to rid myself of it.

Attached: rage.png (673x505, 42K)

I just don't like technology user. I think our society really lost something after the turn of the century

How old are you? Like 15? Things were always bad. Taxes were always high, there were always a million proxy wars all over the place, there was always a two party rigged political system. Social media didn't actually change people beyond hardwiring their dopamine receptors to likes instead of cocaine or complements on their shitty wrist watch/hand bag. Social media just allows people to broadcast their shitty opinions to a broader audiance, just like you did, and just like I'm doing now. Politics and social cohesion have been on the decline in the US since the 1920s and 30s. Things are just getting so bad now that people are noticing their own lives being ripped out from under them. Social media may act as a catalyst to speed the descent into war and collapse, but it's not the root cause.

Attached: 1339550542740.jpg (1000x670, 138K)

Attached: F-09C6__36879.1310408931.1280.1280.jpg (800x450, 73K)

Attached: prismoid_g012.jpg (550x733, 75K)

All the good feature phones use Europe and Africa's bands. There are no good feature phones anymore in the United States. They stopped making them before 3g was a requirement to make a good phone call.

I'm 34, you're rant is worthless and point is moot. Grow up

You may be 34 years old but developmentally you're 12. I suggest buying a can of helium and a trash bag and doing what needs to be done. GNU/Kill yourself, nigger.

Attached: RMSRichardMStallmaneecue_29655_7d27_l.jpg (1024x682, 181K)

All you did was spew verbal diarrhea after spewing baseless assumptions. You haven't made a point yet

no u

Attached: RMSinspirational.jpg (690x388, 252K)

Navigating through a dumbphone menu reminded me of how little latency they have and how much more pleasant they are to use for that reason alone.

I'm amazed that people have accepted the absurd latency times with smartphones.

I use pic related. Owned it since 2008. Still works great; I text and call everyday. Charge it once a week or so for an hour.

Attached: verizon lg 2008.jpg (225x225, 5K)

I also find it ridiculous how smartphone OSs solely decide whether the volume buttons map to the ringtone, media, or alarm, at any given moment, and that people have accepted that. Man, these smartphones are such a regression in terms of some essential UI principles.

Is there anything comparable to that I could use in the USA?