Why is there no Gentoo thread?

Why is there no Gentoo thread?

Gentoo thread.

Blah blah blah various links to some bullshit:
gentoo.org/
cloveros.ga/

>>>implying I didn't create this thread just because I have some questions of my own.

Attached: 493px-Gentoo-logo-peach.png (493x519, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md
liquorix.net/
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-541460-start-0.html
gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros
github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does there always have to be a CLI browser on a gentoo install? I unmerged www-client/w3m but there was a dependency called xmlto that complained. When I removed w3m with `emerge -C` and then ran change-use, www-client/lynx was merged.

Attached: CopyQ.S11378.png (563x563, 310K)

How i can mad speed up and make max fast as freak my system? What flags use?

Man you should've been on Sup Forums back in 2010. We were mad for that Gentoo shit back in the day.

what's up niggers

Attached: shot.jpg (2880x1800, 1.05M)

>ads
aids

How should I set up my partitions? what filesystems?
only disk is a 1tb nvme drive, and 32gb of ram.
swap?
lvm/btrfs/zfs?

>infowars

As a rule, I generally try to avoid packages marked as "testing." So why is 4.9.76 the most recent "stable" kernel on gentoo lmao

Attached: screenFetch-2018-03-10_20-39-56.png (1920x1080, 1.08M)

Since you have quite a bit of RAM I'd recommend having /tmp and the directory portage uses for compiling on TMPFS and for your SSD whatever filesystem of your choice really, as long as it can handle trim. I'm currently running BTRFS on my SSD and having snapshots and other tools is pretty comfy.

thx for the advice.
I forgot to mention i plan on running VMs

How long does it take to compile KDE on Intel i3?

Because it's a good LTS kernel, with Meltdown security patches enabled. If you go ~amd64, you'll always get the most recent kernel, but most people might not like upgrading their kernel every few days. Having a slowly updating, stable and trusted LTS kernel as the default option is a good move.

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md

Attached: 1518123241649.png (750x750, 21K)

It's Impossible. About ~20 hours

Compiling on a tmpfs, I think my Pentium G4560 (2c/4t, 3.5Ghz) - which is kinda like a recent i3 - compiles the packages in kde-plasma/plasma-meta in under 2 hours.

No. I think it's your USE-flags pulling this in.

I personally like everything on lvm. Ext4 or xfs are very stable and zfs/btrfs reasonably stable options, figures they're all in some way valid.

Partitions should be as you want them. If you want a separate /home, do a separate /home.

You could try to compile everything in super small binaries against musl, but that won't work for actually quite many packages.

A less severe variant is just to pick smaller software that actually will run where possible.

And it's not in general going to be super fast, but there are interesting compiler/linker options like Ofast, pgo, thinLTO, ,,, that can get some percentage on certain packages.

thanks

Great. Does liquorix.net/ bad for Gentoo?

Not same user, but it shouldn't matter. You can deploy any kernel you want.

from xmlto ebuild
>text? ( || ( virtual/w3m www-client/lynx www-client/elinks ) )
your profile probably enables USE=text which pulls one of those (virtual/w3m being first choice/default)

>infowars
>ganoo

Attached: 1162366740.jpg (480x359, 216K)

Can't seem to get automount to work, I'm running clover XFCE and thunar-volman doesn't seem to work. I have gvfs and udisk installed as well.

I see. Thank you for shedding light on this

Just put together this computer to replace my old Phenom 9600/GTX 285 machine from a while ago. I want to install Gentoo on my second drive to do my work since I really only use Windows for video games on occasion. Am I going to run into kernel age problems with the live medium or anything like that while installing? Should I use the official live installer, net installer, or something like SystemRescueCD which I'm going to use anyway for some backup purposes?

Attached: Screenshot_4.png (516x400, 23K)

where's the cloveros source? is it really a botnet? why should I use it over gentoo?

>Should I use the official live installer, net installer, or something like SystemRescueCD
Short version:
I'd use the minimal install, but set up the bootloader by chrooting into the installation with System Rescue CD.
Long version:
The live DVD hasn't been updated in 20 months, so it pre-dates Ryzen. When I tried it on a Kaby Lake system, it failed to recognize my network card.
The minimal install has no UEFI support, so if you want UEFI boot in your system, you'll have to use a different Linux USB later to set up your bootloader.
Working with SystemRescueCD is kinda awkward compared to normal Gentoo, at least for me. It also defaults to a zsh shell, but it has bash installed as well, so you can switch if you prefer bash (or are following instructions for bash).

Alright so this was all going to start by me using the SRCD to extract some important files from that drive (non bootable EXT4) before i wiped it for gentoo and SRCD doesn't actually complete its startup for some reason. It freezes on "Loading Kernel modules" and there's no non-standard boot options that seem to fix the issue. I'll see if i can actually try and transfer the files using the gentoo minimal iso installer but if not i have no idea what im going to do. Why doesn't the minimal installer support UEFI? That's like several cpu generations old isn't it?

Another random question because I'm a tad brainlet. Should I undo my 500MHz overclock on my cpu before compiling anything?

Is Clover any good ?

Just installed gentoo for the first time. So far I managed to compile i3 and chromium but I have no sound. Should I install alsa or pulseaudio? I heard those are bloat, if so what are the alternatives?

ty

alsa is standard, pulseaudio is arguably bloat. if you use alsa try installing alsamixer to unmute your speakers. modern versions of firefox do not support alsa but you should be fine.

emerge spotify

Attached: egyptian hacker.png (700x700, 825K)

*emerge --ask spotify

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf

My laptop came with a Seagate 1TB mobile HDD and it's a noisy boy. It makes noise. All. The time, I've turned caching on, and standby/APM off, what more can I do? I'm sitting here and every few seconds it's all DTDTDTDTDTDTDUT, wnnnng . . . DDUTUDUUTDUUDUDUTUD..wnngwnng ... UDUUTDUUDUTDU ... It's brand fucking new, it's not dying, what do I do? It's going to kill itself, what do I do? Help me, Sup Forumsentoo, iotop seemingly shows kworker and jbd2 to be the culprits here, always reading and writing god knows what, I can't tell beyond that.

Attached: 1506963788442.png (1366x714, 118K)

Gentoo can build Firefox with only ALSA support thanks to USE flags.

The only thing that does come to mind is APM (hdparm -B). No clue about anything else.

Though some SMR drives will do their maintenance stuff when PMR would be idle, in case this is a 2.5" drive and SMR that also might explain some.

CloverOS is memetastic. It's the epitome of dangerously riced Gentoo but with a binhost.

>Seagate consumer drive
>SMR
I have my doubts.

Works fine when you emerge apulse before Firefox

plasma-meta or plasma-desktop?
Also, how do I unmerge all the dependencies along with the package?

Propably many ways to do that. I generally do it by removing the said package from the world set and then running depclean to clear out everything that isn't needed anymore

root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev

Why isn't /mnt/gentoo/proc a bind mount too?

Nevermind it's explained in the handbook

Attached: embarassed.jpg (474x267, 18K)

Tips on faster compilation?
Tips on faster boot?

Faster compilation: forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-541460-start-0.html
Faster boot: Use systemd :D:DDDDDDDDDDD

>Tips on faster compilation?
better cpu
>Tips on faster boot?
runit

How make fast kernel config without genkernel

git gud

>Tips on faster compilation?
-O2. Maybe ccache, lld, clang.
>Tips on faster boot?
systemd-analyze

>faster compilation
clang
>faster boot
openrc parallel

>faster compilation
In this order of effectiveness: ccache, distcc, get faster computer, ramdisks and tweak the --jobs and --load-average values for MAKEOPTS and EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS (first is for how many compile jobs can be running at the same time for a single package, the later for how many packages are emerged in parallel)

>systemd
Nope. I have another distro installed that uses systemd and it takes more than 30s to boot but gentoo with openrc only ~5s. Both are on the same HDD. It matters more what you do than what you do it with.

Also FEATURES="$FEATURES parallel-fetch" can cut down the overall time if that isn't default on already

Is there a good guide to kernel configuration?

Trying to add jobs=2 and jobs=4 to make.conf compile more slow. I have i5 cpu

What cflags Sup Forums recommended to make systeem faster ( default -march=native -O2 -pipe)

Look up your hardware in the handbook. If you are on a Thinkpad virtually every model has its own page with kernel recommendations. The default options are usually enough to have a system that boots, provided you've got your filesystem types included in the kernel [*] instead of as modules [M]. It's mainly wifi and audio support that requires the customisation.

Attached: rice.png (1366x768, 1.77M)

fun-roll-loops and fast-math, duh

I don’t understand. For example, I have kernel config from Ubuntu. Then install latest kernel sources from git. How correctly compile it together?

Just use genkernel if you are going to use the one from Ubuntu they are basically the same bloated kernel. You only need to customize your kernel if you want to tailor it to your hardware.

imo you should stay away from btrfs. you can add 512MiB~4GiB swap, if you want.

here you go: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros
The binhost and default configs are the reason to use CloverOS. It's comfy, and you can disable the binhost, if you don't want it.

stallman@CloverOS echo 'ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf

user@CloverOS $ sudo emerge --pretend spotify

plasma-meta probably pulls in all KDE packages.

don't fucking use genkernel to compile your kernel! use lspci and hwinfo to get info about your hardware. also, remember to read relevant pages from gentoo wiki (the page for loonix kernel, your cpu (inlel or amd), you gpu)

Thanks.

Attached: 1501230655594.png (1700x1744, 433K)

>use lspci and hwinfo to get info about your hardware
make menuconfig has 1000 + kernel options, can i disable all modules tagged?

you can disable everything that you don't need. If you dont have device xyz, disable it. read the handbook and select every option that gentoo needs (they should be selected by default)

What are the advantages of compiling your own packages? Besides paranoia

Attached: 1520158964535.gif (499x381, 381K)

-customization. you choose what flags you want to compile them with depending on how you're going to use them.
-smaller packages, general OS install size
-speed. some compiled binaries run faster.

>general OS install size
Toolchain and source files take space tho. Also it's 2018, 1gb costs only few cents

you can just rm * in the /usr/portage/distfiles directory

or eclean-dist

how can i use runit instead of openrc for faster boot time

Does Gentoo (or Arch) have a quick setup? I'm always having to build everything, that has to be a better way.

CloverOS recommended

-O3 -march=native -pipe -funroll-loops -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution

but most of packages build fails if you use this opts

is gentoo a good choice for people with data caps?

Attached: 1447362804890.png (1400x1000, 852K)

rm /usr/portage/distfiles/*
emerge -eav --fetchonly @world
This showed (emptied out all the source files and asked to fetch everything needed to build the system from scratch)
>Size of downloads: 3565177 KiB
I don't know if that is much or not for data capped 3rd worlders or not, but about that much is needed for a fairly light 800 package system.

30 GB isn't bad I guess

that's 3 GB you moron

3.65 GB to be precise

d'oh

Bumpy bump

What Sup Forums think about funtoo?

Attached: Funtoo.png (203x82, 16K)

post gentoo swag

Attached: 1514318732082.jpg (720x960, 42K)

what's the difference?

what's the point of forking a source-based distribution when you could easily just provide patches for what you want

Reminder to try Source Mage, is more minimal and the flags are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more detailed than Gentoo.

Attached: 1497706876995.png (602x500, 27K)

>tfw android also compiles apps from source by default
just ditch gentoo and buy a chinkpad already

Installing right now, what am I in for?

Attached: IMG_20180312_222706.jpg (4608x3456, 1.43M)

>genkernel all

It's late my dude, ive no time to configure my kernel today. I'll look into it tomorrow

noooo dont do dat
configuring a kernel is not that hard

it probably not gonna be an easy thing but your gonna end up with a hella comfy os. if not the first time, second time fore sure once you get enough expiriance .

replied to the wrong post

I already did a full install on a laptop, complete with kernel configuration and everything. Didn't know about pretty much all the useful tools tho, so it was screwed after about two months. This install is going on my main machine and the and 8 core is finally paying off I think, compile times are pretty good so far

I know, but it takes time that I don't have right now. I won't use genkernel permanently

isnt that just for brainlets who cant install gentoo?

Gotta go fast. Who LTO here?
github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO

arch takes 10 minutes to install, and most of the work is done by an auto chroot script + a bootstrap download script