Can we talk about car stereo units?

Can we talk about car stereo units?
I'm deciding between the cheaper options, mostly from Alpine and Pioneer.
I need Bluetooth and USB, the rest is optional. But these two should just work, I'd like to avoid anything that has potential issues or annoying behavior.
Like, some people say their unit scans the USB for one minute every start, others say Bluetooth keeps dropping. I don't even know anymore.

Attached: 1520717272022.jpg (1100x683, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/bcm9k
community.sony.com/t5/Other-Products/DSX-A400BT-Bluetooth-Intermittent/td-p/612571
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>aftermarket car stereos
>2018

i like how best buy/walmart still sell cassette adapters, but no actual cassette tapes

What do you mean? My stock radio is too old, it just plays FM and CDs.

Just don't get a shit brand like boss or pyle.
I also look for apt-x support if I want to play music over BT.
Best option for sound quality is no head unit at all. 4 channel amp with active crossover through a minidsp. Unfortunately I do not have the money to afford such a setup myself.

These things are super inconsistent. I have a Pioneer that was pure shit. I had a Dual that was actually pretty good. You really can't go by the brand.

Buy a cheap Sony one.

Attached: 1474604386518.jpg (200x252, 10K)

I think I had that exact model in my old car and I kind of miss it. Touchscreen controls in a car are just fucking shit. You are forced to take your eyes off the road to use it with any degree of accuracy. My new car has a built in TomTom touchscreen unit, but the retarded thing is it has bluetooth, but for voice calls only, so to stream music I need to use an aux-bluetooth adapter.

With the Alpine, I used to love being able to find and play a specific song on my USB stick really quickly using the shuffle button to toggle between shuffle everything and shuffle folder, and using the wheel was really quick to find a specific song you had a craving for, then press the shuffle button a few times again to go back to shuffle all.

Chances used to be best if you buyed an expensive one without bling features and without touchscreen. No idea how it's now.

I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-X7800 in my bmw e46.
It does take a few seconds to scan the USB when you start the car. Also a few pixels in the display are sometimes dead. I haven't had any problems with bluetooth dropping but I've only had it for a few months and I don't use it for phone calls.

You must like getting your windows smashed by meth heads.

what is the alternative?

Keep the factory unit, buy a $20 adapter for a smart phone.

Just turn on the radio.

>Implying any of us can invest in the latest vehicle model brand with modern entertainment integrated.
Mind you I have a '94 Fleetwood and this interests me. Would be a step up from a Sony head unit I currently have installed.

>94 Fleetwood
Ayy, 91 Deville here. What engine do you have? Better be a 4.9 or a 5.7

5.7L LT1. No NotStar crap under that hood.

This is what I have in my car. Works well, has since my grandparents bought it new in 91 and gave it to me when they got a new car in 2003 for my 17th.

Damn straight. I have the L26 in mine, just had it all checked out again. Seems like it's going to keep lasting for a while yet, even nearing 171,000 miles.

Attached: CadillacRadio.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Had CD, cassette, and AM/FM on the stock unit. Both the CD and cassette quit had quit working when I got it from my grandma. Just over 180000 right now.

Attached: IMG_20180310_204223.jpg (3840x2160, 1.78M)

Nice. I highly recommend the factory stereos - they sound pretty good if your amp isn't dying like mine is.

Max volume and you still can't hear it over the quiet noise at highway speeds...

Can't go wrong with sony.

Attached: 05963638.gif (400x315, 990K)

Do meth heads even steal head units anymore? Same with GPS? They're < $100 brand new.

I used to still have copper tubing stolen off of my grill and a small engine I had been working on until I eventually brought them inside.

They're dumber than you think.

Lol i remember when people used to detach their interface when parking for fear of getting it stolen. Now days all you need is aux and a clock

The face plate? Mine does that, even came with a silk bag to store it in.

All it's good for is restarting it when the bluetooth fucks up without turning the car off.

They call it xplode for a reason

>Pioneer DEH-X7800
question are they include the power adapter and whole brackets? or do you diy?

Buy a cheap aux adapter that lets you use the cd setting to play from an aux cable. They go for roughly $15.

Be warned, it doesn't matter if you buy an expensive deck or a cheap $15 adapter. If you have grounding issues, you'll hear weird noises that have to be dealt with. The juvenile thing to do is get a filter that filters them out, but then it also filters out the sound so your audio quality goes down.

Right now I'm working on fixing up mine. This is the second car I've owned that I've done this and they always have feedback like what I'm talking about. streamable.com/bcm9k

I almost did, then I saw this thread:
community.sony.com/t5/Other-Products/DSX-A400BT-Bluetooth-Intermittent/td-p/612571

Also I can't take them seriously when they put a "mega bass" button on it.

That was my initial plan, but then I realized that all those things are chink shit (unless you spend $100+) and bluetooth integration is either absent or sketchy.

Attached: Sony-DSX-A400BT-Bluetooth-Media-Receiver-27102016-01-p.jpg (800x800, 71K)