/mg/ - Minimalism General

INSTALL LFS EDITION

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
pastebin.com/XBTXuip5

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md (Guide to installing CRUX and Source Mage)

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Old thread:

Attached: m.jpg (1800x1800, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
blog.qutebrowser.org/qutebrowser-v120-released.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2638_large
youtube.com/watch?v=VO9R_WFs9Zc
etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
alpinelinux.org
voidlinux.eu
archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get
suckless.org/rocks
swaywm.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks for new thread!
*snuggles u, OwO*

Here's the WM ram comparison

Attached: WMramusage.png (290x319, 22K)

What other threads do you hang out in, cutie?

What are you homophobes doing to stop sexism today?

thank god, let's keep this tech related at least. mutt alternatives?

You're welcome OwO something

umm.. I dunno. just other random threads on Sup Forums I guess, and sometimes 8 chon tech

thanks desu, I hope niggers from Sup Forums dont contaminate this thread

>Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Friendly reminder about the updated version github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>mutt alternatives?
Alpine? Yes, there is a mail client called Alpine, I prefer Mutt tho

To get some more closure out of then, as far as Wangblows is concerned, Netrunner is the top choice and Pale Moon the least worst bloat choice, is that it?

>Netrunner's main dev is Odilitime
Oh shit son, I keep seeing his name, he did that nice Futabilly software, didn't he? Mad props.

Attached: 37bc723a09b53c31acd0d4873ec8b330a889b394afa4487b21e310b0c9e40ef7.png (633x641, 367K)

Many thanks, user. I'll update in the next thread.

Why is this cat-v tier meme being pushed here?
>MUH MINIMALISM
>uses X11/Wayland
The "Minimalistic" window managers/DEs are only minimalistic in appearance, not by function. How about never use X11 and use the console. Or at least fucking install Plan 9.
>MUH GAYLANG
The main selling point of Go was the concurrency model—it literally has no other redeeming features, and is lacking in a lot of aspects. Go is for people who just finished college and want to write a TCP proxy in the most annoying way possible. Also have fun with those large binaries. C will always be better than Go and all languages.

This thread is absolute horseshit. I shit myself laughing when I saw HURD in the pastebin and saw it called 'minimal'. To sum up this thread, snowflake undergrads who want to be 'out there' by staying 'minimal' when they don't even know what that actually means.

Ok. Now go back to

>im angry and have no arguments please go back to this thread
The absolute state of minimalfags.

found the employed guy.

Thanks dude, always nice to see competent posters in here. Hella rare too. It's nice to read it as a parody and even partecipate, spreading memes like 'gcc is bloat', 'install crux' and so on. Don't take it seriously.

Dude, i don't give a shit about what your think about this thread. I use Windows on daily, not Loonix.

Loonix is just for shitpost and fun, and yes, i like Crux.

which sums up the average /mg/ user, in a pretty good way.

the point is to discuss better alternatives to software, not to jerk off over ram usage and package count

and yes, go sucks

>I use Windows on daily
why

Okay /mg/, challenge time.

You are being forced at gunpoint to use Windows 10 on a daily basis, and to minimalize the fuck out of it. Assuming you're given Win10 LTSB as a starting point, what do you do?

Attached: 1482311000973.jpg (761x899, 126K)

Beg for the trigger to be pulled.

Attached: I'll do it myself.jpg (600x450, 47K)

>tfw too retarded to be minimal
>tfw too retarded to get sound working without pulse audio
>tfw too retarded to get display manager working without systemd

Attached: 1493530507094.jpg (658x523, 58K)

>go into system files
>start deleting everything that is not system-crucial
>its just system 32
>looks like wondows XP
>runs fast
>not shit.

I just jumped from Windows directly into Void Linux. Yes, my first distro, I have the ability to read, and fuck you if you started on Ubuntu.
It lacks things that I need and I hate compiling from source as they won't be updated on the latest version. I know I can create a script that will update whenever a git has changed since my last update but I just want something simplier and centralized.

I have come into a conclusion into just installing Artix Linux. Should I stay or you have better distros to offer?

Install Crux.

the best choice for browsing the web are scripts/programs that download and extract all the important parts you want and display it without all the bloat.

Install QUTEBROWSER

blog.qutebrowser.org/qutebrowser-v120-released.html

Kinda difficult to know what I want without seeing what the site has first.

Attached: 61242213_p0.png (969x1000, 856K)

Holy shit if true, good for you. Maybe try something else, yeah, CRUX and Source Mage are populer (I use both), but check if they have the packages you want. SMGL has more packages than CRUX.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2638_large
For what I can tell JFS is the best filesystem for laptops if you count the amount of files, read write, crash recovery and performance for low end computers.

Is anyone with some experience with JFS? I read is shipped in Slackware.

looks like source mage doesnt have use flags so whats the point?

nevermind im retarded

how can i view pdf files in the terminal?

Checked, currently checking both right now.
I dont know but why isn't Arch mentioned here as "minimal". Is it because of systemdee?

Question: do minimal browsers just not run youtube correctly? I don't get it. Firefox doesn't wanna work with alsa so I can play videos but no sound. I've tried a few other browsers (surf, luakit, even Epiphany) and I get sound but the video freezes and sticks after a few seconds. Am I missing something here? I'm on Void btw.

KISS =/= minimal
arch hasnt been minimal for years

I'll test the USE flags in SMGL tomorrow, will post progress.

musl for desktop use needs to be tested more; some of the shit i use (mostly emulation stuff like qemu and dolphin-emu) segfaults out of the blue occasionally

i might unironically do this type of shit when i get Microsoft Imagine access from school

it's a shame the web has always been shit
>10 years ago: marquees, animated GIFs, and flash popups
>now: animated CSS, muh RESTful meme, and JS popups

>fuck you if you started on Ubuntu.
rude

mailx

>as far as Wangblows is concerned
>Netrunner is the top choice
But it isn't even a beta.

>Pale Moon the least worst bloat choice
Yes.

I think, some info about web browsers in the Bloatware wiki would be useful, like:
Firefox -> Pale Moon -> Uzbl -> NetSurf -> Dillo

Attached: b6c06e944bb9ab6eb518e565dcf5bef8.jpg (461x360, 28K)

Arch =/= KISS

This

Use youtube-dl, Luke.

youtube.com/watch?v=VO9R_WFs9Zc

how do I get driconf on void?

minimalism is a great concept.
but please ... don't start with compiling from scratch. it is stupid to start with this kind of shit.

take the submarin approach: the make the loudest noise disappear and then there is a new loudest noise, which they make disappear...

what i mean is: start with your biggest bloat and create an alternative. here comes the funny thing...

often the biggest bloat is the browser. chromium based browsers and post57-gecko based browsers will suck life out of your ram. there is nothing you can do without killing everything in the modern web aka umatrix > allow first party only

why save 200mb from your OS when your browser uses 4gigs?

i punch sjws in the face, stops me from comitting sexism thought crimes

true

lol

im sorry for your mom who wasted 9 months being pregnant with you and probably 18 years of parenthood. lets just say here life is still ruined, because you probably still live by her.

nice

you are retarded

this men has spoken the truth and nothing else

are you mentally challenged? you need to download only the html and then everything that you need. for pages that you visit on a daily basis make it a script that does this.

minimal browsers dont work per se. the html5 spec is ~1200 pages long.

true

it segfaults because it is hacked together. sorry but minimalism with libraries that are written like this dont work and this shit should not matter if you want minimalism.

it is a question of...
500kb for hello world but with a work lib or
5k for hello world, but not working.

the real minimalism is reducing shit, not recompiling with worth libraries to save disk space.

or to double down on my question in case it's not available, how would I go about enabling OpenGL 2.0 on my GMA 3500 without it? I read somewhere that it was just a GUI for something else.

Stop quoting so many people at once.

Better than shitting out a million replies.

Not every post needs responded to. Stop quoting so many people at once.

Not him but maybe only reply to things you have something to say about instead of everything.

Hope you realize I'm not him; arguing is bloat.

>but please ... don't start with compiling from scratch. it is stupid to start with this kind of shit.
i've started with ubuntu eight years ago, then went to debian, then arch, and now alpine. i've had issues with each of them which have caused me to move to the next, so i figure with LFS i can make a distro that doesn't have anything that i perceive as a flaw.

but yes, you're right, people shouldn't start out with LFS until they've tried a few distros. it's likely that not everyone is as anal as me and they can find something they enjoy

>it segfaults because it is hacked together. sorry but minimalism with libraries that are written like this dont work and this shit should not matter if you want minimalism.
this is the common chicken-egg argument i see against musl. most people develop against glibc and don't bother testing other POSIXy libcs, so this is why bugs are introduced into software. people use the GNU extensions to shit and don't realise that it isn't the standard.

i've moved away from glibc not because of minimalism, but because glibc actually broke unicode rendering in my terminal, because glibc's codebase is abysmal, and because you can't statically link against it.

Just installed Gentoo for the first time. Should I try Wayland or stick with xorg?

stick with xorg 'til the wayland wave washes over every distro

Neither, use kdrive.

>posting an image that contains only text in some retarded form over function font
not minimalism

use xdiskusage
a bloat free program to remove bloat

Attached: xdiskusage.gif (610x550, 23K)

i prefer ncdu

Attached: ncdudone-2.png (614x347, 24K)

>using a gui program for this
>using a curses program for this
not minimalism

% du -h /usr/bin/xdiskusage
44K /usr/bin/xdiskusage
% du -h /bin/du
116K /bin/du

% du -h $(which ncdu)
72K /usr/bin/ncdu

>GNU du

fuck you.
and yes it is better to do it like this.

lol

it is kinda chicken-egg, i agree. but at the same time this is not really bloat in my opinion. if software is developed in a certain way than that software is bad in that sense.

also your terminal has problems rendering unicode with glibc? this is minimalism against minimalism. this is a bug, nothing else.

im laughing my ass off. well done guys.

actual diagnosed autismos seek minimalism because they can't handle excess stimulation

How do you visualisze the file-system without either of those tools? In a minimalistic way.

found the tard.

Don't lose hope user, you'll succeed one day

Attached: 28153656_1782433732065142_8644358922926292992_n.jpg (499x396, 27K)

>you are retarded
Thanks for your input.

use your brain.

I'm going to try doing a fresh install tomorrow with LTSB on my old laptop, see how much crap I can uninstall, delete, or disable in it before the system becomes dysfunctional. Then I'll try putting together a minimalist suite of programs for it and see how basic I can go.

Attached: 1510032490427.png (300x307, 29K)

what makes you think so?

you are welcome.

why did you post that image on a christian imageboard

I asked Christian and he's ok with it.

Nice trips and dubs

Attached: kH4dlg5.webm (488x290, 161K)

>also your terminal has problems rendering unicode with glibc? this is minimalism against minimalism. this is a bug, nothing else.
most of my software choices are motivated toward usability and bloat minimalism, not resource minimalism

btw i think they fixed it in later glib versions, but i'm not switching back to glib distros

Musl, uClibc, and diet libc, are they really alternatives or they break stuff? Also which one is the most minimal and which one break stuff the less?

i know fuck all about any of them but from what ive heard musl is your best option as a real alternative

minimalism :
plan9
2bwm
links
aria2
irssi

What distro?

etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html

This is a general for discussing minimal software for GNU/Linux and for helping you debloat your GNU/Linux system.

>What is software minimalism?

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery

>Software minimalist standards
- Using a TUI when necessary
- Only using a window manager
- Using the terminal as a file manager
- Package count must be under 900 (unless you use production software such as gimp or kdenlive etc etc, it's okay)

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>Arch Linux
archlinux.org

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks

shit op

yeah my shit is sane

no you're just a troll who wants to start distro wars again

Bad OP

chad op is best op. A sane person who uses the pc instead of jerking off to ram consumption.

> install alpine
> no manpages
What the fuck is this?

shitty server distro

*commences the owoposting*
uwu

For what do you need manpages on a router?

OwO
what do you fags use for playing music

Attached: 33a54948d5ca23dd513e0ab19dbc4052.gif (540x357, 1.96M)

sup /mg/

Attached: new_here.png (159x160, 15K)

shimapan a cute, but isn't true minimalist underwear either thongs or going commando?

neither of those are as cute though

bro i could give you a bunch of links but just search up on youtube : ted talk stallman genvea

first step to enlightenment
take baby steps
xubuntu.org

apk add [packagename]-doc

Sway! OwO
swaywm.org/

>Wayland isolates the input and output of every window, achieving confidentiality, integrity and availability in both cases; the original X design lacks these important security features, although some extensions have been developed trying to mitigate it. Also, with the vast majority of the code running in the client, less code needs to run with root privileges, improving security.

Attached: WANT.png (2559x1439, 1.57M)

mpv --vo=drm cute_anime_girl.png

Is this a sane way to view images on a tty or is there something like feh that can display images in the framebuffer?

Attached: 1519938986015.png (1093x1077, 1.21M)