Main reason to use linux

main reason to use linux
>it's comfy

Attached: creatura.jpg (1020x1020, 65K)

Its not windows

Attached: 1470424466892.jpg (675x827, 233K)

I just don't understand why people still use Windows. I had to install Windows for a relative recently and it is such a clunky experience. It doesn't even have a good package manager. Do people just use it because they don't know any better?

Because it simply works

People use it for software compatibility. If you need to use a piece of software, you need the right OS and software version.

Or (((games))) lol

Linux works out of the box much better.

I just prefer it to windows in the file structure and software selection, although I use both for work

>main reason to use linux
>>it's comfy
Only if you're full-blow Aspie.
Once below the UI it's a shambles. No two distros agree.
Ever tried to install Apache2 on Debian?

sudo apt-get install apache2

Wow that was hard!

>No two distros agree.
They have different goals.

>Then you need the right OS and software version

If you're jumping through the hoop to install Version XX of software Y for a certain purpose then you can certainly use linux just fine.

>years ago
>have 1 family computer
>sibling installs linux
>come home to find linux installed
>ask him wtf
>he tells me it's just like windows! can do everything
>try to install AIM
>can't run exe
>ask him wtf
>tells me it's not for linux
>scream at him to install windows back
>he only dual booted so he just rebooted back into windows

Never again

So you're just saying you're a brainlet?

Pidgin can access AIM, as well as a ton of other chat networks.

>linux
>comfy
top kek

>non-cambatiably with 80% of programs without editing

>have to add code to termainal to add new compatiably
>Updates are termainal only
>you can only use certain laptops for lirbeboot

>fucking breaks on every damn new program or hardware
>can't play non linux games in it
>can use directx or direct3d
>most API's can't be used in linux

Bin.jpg

>can play
*can't

>I just don't understand why people still use Windows.

Because Linux doesn't have reliable native versions of these yet, and Wine is not considered predictable enough to be relied on for professional use.

Attached: adobe-logo-design-adobe-logo-design-adobe-creative-suite-family-software-logo-vector-ideas.jpg (600x407, 75K)

Keep telling lies about your choices to make you feel better over your Sup Forums addiction.

Attached: 1514757774279.png (888x1959, 737K)

I already know that Windows users don't like learning how to use new software, that's why they use Windows.

Only reason to use Linux is that people are assured that it's not a botnet. But 95% of people don't even bother to check their source code. they believe it because it's "open soars". Well, here is a news for you faggots, malware can be opensoars and it will still be a malware if you install on your device.

>2018
>apt-get

Linux doesn't really have a viable professional equivalent to Photoshop, Illustrator or After Effects.

As for video editing, audio mixing and color grading, Linux struck gold with DaVinci Resolve, which is a nice high-grade video editing, color grading and audio mixing software.

>el goblino

Debian based distributions are the most widely used.

Why? That's how you install software on debian systems, right? That's what I always use.

There's "apt" if you just want to do basic things like searching for, installing and removing packages.

Did you ever think that people just don't want to spend hours dicking around in wine to get an overall buggy piece of shit at the end? Especially when it is required for a job and they just need it to work? I agree linux is a better OS and I use both for different purposes but be realistic.. Until linux can easily run industry standard software it won't have much place in business outside of servers/programming.

>tfw uni prof. makes us build in Visu
al C++
>tell him I run linux
>his Chinese knock off asbergers kicks in
>"Why u no run windows? I cannot understand "

I don't like to use the mouse.

el diablo...

>windows
>works
I don't even have an image for this level of degenerate stupidity

Because the Linux community is fucking toxic. They make fun of Windows users and tell you to switch, yet when you have a problem they ridicule you.
Also, a lot of stuff that is normal on Windows is just not working like

Seemlessly switch you gc (office to gaming or vice versa) without having to log out of your session
Having full volume, Linux can goes somehow to 150% which is accessible only via system settings
Battery life is significantly worse
The whole system can just break out of nothing

I mean I'll stay, but if ms somehow, someday, becomes a decent company and decides not to constantly fuck me over, I'll be back immediately.

lying or utterly delusional

I've used ubuntu on my laptop throughout my curriculum.
Haven't encountered a single course at uni that made us use visual studio.
For some courses I've used eclipse IDE and command line tools make/gcc/etc...
Then again I am not a Software Engineer.
Worst case scenario I had to use a VM once to program an FPGA using xylinx ISE.

If shit hit the fan the computer labs were always an option.

Well said.
Now could you refer me to some current malware in Arch / Gentoo real quick, thanks.

>Be user's brother
>Know what's best and install linux on computer
>user is autistic brianlet, but maybe I can teach him
>user comes home
>user makes autistic screeching noises all the way to the computer
>MomShouldHaveSwallowed.tar.gz
>At this point he's making his ritual dance while waiting for the computer to turn on
>When I say dance it's more like a fat penguin waddling a little too fast in circles
>He stops when he sees the computer screen isn't exactly the same
>He can't find AIM pleb client
>Runs over to me and starts screeching his autismo-speak
>Incomprehensible reees with the occasional "winfos" in between
>Tell him that you can still do everything on linux
>He clams down, and waddles back to the computer
>Spends 35 minutes screeching and looking for the AIM website
>Autistic user downloads a fucking exe
>Spends another 35 minutes screeching and double clicking the file
>He waddles over to me again, but now with blood shot eyes from constant screeching
>EvenMoreAutismScreeches.deb
>Just give up and dual boot to windows
>user resumes to AIM client
>MFW he doesn't even have anyone added
>MFW he just stares at the AIM client

Attached: Proprietary.jpg (480x451, 57K)

>Non insignificant
*significant

>Asshat Introduces malware and uploads it to a repository
>Users gulp it up
>Malware is detected by at least one person
>Software can be forked with Malware removed or banned from moderated repositories
Still better than the closed source alternative.

Apt is literally just apt-get but with fancy progress bar.

I tought Linux was for people who don't care about that "out of the box" meme, because they customize ir themselves anyways

90% people don't know something else than windows 7 and firefox.

Eroge is the only reason I don't have a Linux-only system. Can't live without my honey select.

Attached: E4735E29940E498488E991A6896B7E25.png (500x375, 188K)

I'm not a windows fanboy, but it seems im not autistic enough to use linux. You should never show a bunch of text and expect me to read it, im not interested in the OS itself, i just want to use it (and i want to use it NOW, not after i learned how it works). This is the main problem with most people, we want perfection for no work whatsoever. So using the terminal is out of the question for me.
What the hell am i supposed to do then? What is linux without its terminal? Just a bad OS. I grew up with a windows, so their UX feels more natural to me, and i have no reason to change that.

The main reason to use Linux is ssh. There is nothing better than being round my girlfriends and using her macbook to ssh into my desktop at home and grab animu for us to watch from one of the connected external HDDs.

>everyone is a graphic designer
Every single time. GIMP is far from perfect or even great, but it's enough to edit dicks into Stacy's mouth or editing soy wojaks to post on Sup Forums

Do you use apt-cache for searching through available packages?

>linux autodetects hardware and applies matching modules for support
>windows gives you some generic drivers and you have to search through the manufacturer's website and download a dozen driver installers and hope one works even if you specify the exact god damn model you have if you want the model-specific ones

>I want to use operating system which controls me
>No, sir, thank you, I don't want to control my operating system, it's too complicated to me
>I just want to play video games
>Does it run this latest AAA gayme? No? Then stop wasting my time!
That's how windows users sound to me.

inb4
>hurr durr, I use mac
I have nothing against homosexuals, but you should be more responsible with your money.

also, pic related, is probably you.

Attached: 1496951877519.png (958x787, 91K)

>Y-you don't NEED it
wrong answer

Video games.
>inb4 some moe watching pedophile tells me it's a kid hobby while he has little girl dolls on his desk

underrated post

>Everyone who runs Windows has Photoshop AND uses it to its fullest potential

I guess the answer to that is to get a PS4 or XB1 and plug that into a secondary HDMI port on the monitor so you can switch between each other.

>you don't need it because you don't use every single function

>I just don't understand why people still use Windows.

A lot of people don't even know GNU/Linux exists. Linux rarely comes pre-installed on mainstream pre-built computers, whereas Windows PCs are everywhere. There's virtually no marketing for any GNU/Linux machine outside of Chromebooks, and the Samsung Chromebook was the best selling laptop on Amazon for weeks.

The objective is to get Linux on more pre-builts and market them into the public awareness.

VNs work very well under wine

>Expects people to know about a package manager while they literally can't even see it because it is integrated as a console application rather than the GUI.

This is why windows outcompetes linux by a long shot. With that much faith in humanity, why are you even trying so hard? It should be all good, shouldn't it?

Is there an applocale equivalent for linux? Changing locale just for certain application, and not system wide?

My dad completely fucked his Win7 install with malware and garbage programs. I installed him Xubuntu and it is still in perfect condition.

I use Chocolatey, its not a powerful package manager but it work

Don't take pride in using GUIs.

Ubuntu has GNOME software by default, stop shitposting.

are you his win7 installation?
>completely fucked his Win7 install

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1520508434863.jpg (625x330, 28K)

No wonder you have problems with operating system, you still have problems with reading and writing. Go back to playing games

>hey grandma I bought you a new computer, here a 1000 page manual on how to use the terminal and all the unix shit
>ah btw the os is going to break at least once a day
>what do you mean "why is so hard?" fucking wangblowslet not appreciating doing the work for the computer

I like your metaphor. So Sup Forumsirgins are like old people. Braindead, and left behind in quick changing world of technology. Salivating over, overpriced components and flashy colors on their screens.
If you used Linux in last 5 years you would know that you don't have to go to terminal and "learn a 1000 page manual ". You can do everything in GUI if you are just normal user... If you need to do something complex, you can. But people who are doing stuff like that know that you have to read and learn about it. What a shocker.

How retarded are you? Be honest.

>Breaks at least once a day
My computer with windows breaks every week. The display drivers uninstalled themselves between normal reboot last week.

My computer with Arch has had no troubles since I set it up 3 years ago.

Windows had to be the most volitial environment I've ever had the displeasure to use.

Linux or macOS is much comfier than Windows. MacOS is basically Linux for lazy people who don't care about free software. Windows is for.... ?

>tried to install manjaro 3 times
>break into pieces after the first reboot
>windows 7 installed since 2010, never updated nor installed anti virus on it
>still werks

>Manjaro
Why?

what??

Attached: 1454564689743.jpg (500x500, 32K)

Buy a thinkpad + dock install linux. Hook it up to a kvm switch with your gaymur desktop that has win 7. I do it, its not fucking rocket science. Plus i dont need my desktop chewing through my power bill just to shitpost and watch youtube.

Linux is a kernel.

>im not autistic enough to use linux
>you should never show a bunch of text and expect me to read it
So you're a lazy retard who can't into basic functions like reading?
>i just want to use it
>NOW
what is Ubuntu, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE, [insert fully featured distribution]
>using the terminal is out of the question for me
>what the hell am i supposed to to do
>what is linux without its terminal
what is [fully featured distro]
what is software centers
what is appimage/flatpak
what is [insert generic use of an operating system]

I see the problem. It's not that you're lacking autism, it's that you have too many chromosomes.

Top fucking kek

>So you're a lazy retard who can't into basic functions like reading?
Well im not born with the procedure how to handle a BUILD file for example. The concept of building something out of a source is known to programmers only (I'm not even exaggerating on this, some programmers who call themselves programmers don't even know THAT).
So there's more into learning how linux works than you might think, and i've seen enough people who never used a Computer and tried to get into one. The winner: A Touchpad with very few Buttons, the bigger these Buttons the better. Don't even try to explain any kind of concepts to them, they want it like their TV.

And since we're talking about the majority of people, we get windows to be the winner.

So yes, im a lazy retard who can't into basic functions like reading, especially when it's purely informative, which is absolutely normal by the way, according to the statistics.

I have Manjaro on my main laptop for about 4 years. Never brakes. I even have the same ssd that I just take out and put in new system... And guess what? It works. Try do that with Windows. And stop telling lies about Linux being unstable. In course of just one year you will have much more problems with stability on windows.
And if is that hard to use operating system without braking it just use phone or some shit like that.

Repositories don't work like that. Packages have maintainers and different distros have different levels of moderation. What you're describing is possible in Arch, as the aur is much less regulated, but it's hardly representative.

Meant for that faggot.

Also I forgot to mention that you can just read the pgkbuild for aur packages anyway and see what URLs it's pulling from, letting you see where the files are coming from

>reasons to use linux
>

Attached: 21752351_1723519481285134_1511958962774851984_n.jpg (960x537, 23K)

??? I'm the guy who was talking about Manjaro, why are you quoting me?

It's spelt "Colonel", dummy

You also weren't born with knowledge how to use Windows, you had to learn. Same is everything else. Would you talk shit about cars, how cars suck because you know how to ride your little bike with training wheels?

> I just want to get in and drive

If you want to use something, then you have to learn how. Is that so hard? At least now you can do everything in linux in gui, so you wouldn't have to learn that much. But no its hard....
No child left behind. Holy fucking kek Murrica

Literally and unironically the most underrated post in Sup Forums history.

Cheers lad, glad to see there are people who understand.
I don't get what's with all those faggot being afraid to learn something new. You had to learn fucking everything, walk, talk...where and how to take a fucking shit.
But after 12 years or so, those motherfuckers didn't learn anything. Living the life, protected in their fucking bubble.
Bunch of entitled good for nothing wastes of air and space. Shitting on everything around while thinking so highly about themselves. Take notes kids, this is called Dunning-Krugger effect

Linux usability hasn't improved that much in 10 years, but Windows usability has gotten a hell of a lot worse. Win7 was comfy as fuck right out of the box, Win10 requires me to fight with it semi-regularly and keep updates disabled.

I have several versions of Linux running on several computers and after the first hour of grabbing packages and tweaking settings they work great. It's safe to say that my Win10 install will be the last one I ever use, I don't even play AAA games anymore and any games I care about have Linux ports.

fpbp

>it is such a clunky experience
This. I don't even game anymore because I hate Windows that much. I'll probably sell my gaming desktop and just keep my Linux laptop, because that's where I spend all my time anyway.

>Linux usability hasn't improved that much in 10 years

You obviously don't use Linux that long. I'm using it for past 15 years and I know this is not true. It has gotten much much better in past 5 years for regular desktop work.

>you need it, even if you won't use it!

LANG=ja.JP.UTF-8

nigger I have a mac and I do digital art and I don't use adobeshit.
>need to install Adobe CC suite and have it running in your taskbar just to use one program
>need a paid subscription
trash

What is it like being self employed?

Not him but you're saying it like it's a bad thing.

Because I'm stupid and kept selecting the wrong person

lewd

>don't know any better

There's no better. Desktop linux is even a worse desktop OS than windows. And not because it doesn't have some specific software, it's just shit by itself.

Au contraire this is the most retarded comment of all because for cars there's one to rule them all.
The pedals will always be clutch-brake-gas, both for right and left hand countries. The cars goes left if you turn the wheel left, and right if right.
The gear stick might have some esotic pattern but they all work in the same way.

On the other hand windows does the fuck it wants, just like linux, there isn't any compatibility nor what works for one will also work for the other.

It's actually not too bad being a self-employed graphic designer, you can do business on your own terms and hire your own employees.

Attached: Iv%C3%A6rks%C3%A6tter.jpg (1240x652, 403K)