LineageOS Privacy

Does LineageOS keep data safe from Google and the US Government?

Attached: images.png (308x164, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/
f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore/
stallman.org/apple.html
lineage.microg.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. Buy Librem 5.

The indians set a backdoor in these roms to see your mom's bobs and vegana

Attached: indians.jpg (460x276, 35K)

What kind of data you want to keep safe?

Your physical location? The contents of your phone storage? Phone calls? Phone callsĀ“s metadata?

>No.
Why not?

Yes, those things.

But "those things" are very different things protected by different measures.

You can't protect normal phone calls and phone calls's metadata. Doesn't matter which phone or which OS you use (including dumbphones). Phone calls are only encrypted phone-to-tower. Phone call's metadata is also impossible to hide by design.

If you want to use your phone as a phone, it's also impossible to hide it's location by design. It needs to connect to the nearest tower to have lowest latency possible, and it can't do that without knowing your location.

Idk what your goal is or what you want, you need to be clearer and have a treat model.

I don't care what the cell company knows. I want the OS to not have creepy Google privacy policies or fed backdoors.

Buy an iPhone

bump

Jesus Christ, this is horrible.
I just flashed and it's buggy, laggy, and shit.
I'll try out Omniroom to see if it's at least somewhat better than this, if not I'll have to return to stock.
I have to say that Cyanogenmod, as I can recall, wasn't like this. They even had stable releases, I have yet to see a stable LineageOS one.

Then just install LineageOS and use only F-Droid apps. Never use a web browser if you can. That's it.

I build my own LineageOS from source, with disabled camera and bluetooth, and without any (((Google))) apps. It's pure, base, free Android. No need to allow my phone to become a spy device for the CIA NSA.

I use a Fujitsu X100F for photography. It was worth every single dollar.

Attached: pic_additional_01.jpg (573x430, 95K)

Is stock LineageOS secure from Google? I'm not worried about being hacked.

Nice camera, though. Does it take good lowlights?

It's your fault for not researching custom ROM support for a specific device. It seems as though the device you're using relies on ports of LineageOS for similar supported models. In that situation, it's highly unlikely a stable ROM would ever surface.

>Is stock LineageOS secure from Google? I'm not worried about being hacked.
Yes, Lineage comes pure, without any Google Apps. But most people "recommend" you to install them afterwards. Just don't.

Google + Android is called GApps. It's a bundle of software components from Google (GMail, Calendar, Maps etc) with additional libraries, that provide access to their cloud APIs. It's basically a rootkit.

You can find a list of supported Lineage phones on their website. Devices from 2016-2017 are a good catch. I use a BQ from spain. I would not recommend you to buy cheap chinese ones. I work in hardware. You can get radioactively contaminated from their cheap LCD displays. Yes, displays produce low level radiation. Even TVs. The Chinese do not give a fuck about certificates, they want your money. Besides that, there was a reason why the FBI warned about hardware back doors in those devices earlier this year.

> Nice camera, though. Does it take good lowlights?
I was looking for a small, compact device. I am not a professional photographer, I am sorry. I think there is a photography board here too.

As a alternative store, I use FDRoid.

f-droid.org/

It works like PlayStore, but you need to install the fdroid.apk package manually with adb.

The phone is the OnePlus 5T.
I bought it originally because of the nice custom ROM support the previous models had.
I have got a different older phone in the same situation where I've had LineageOS 14.1 installed as a main OS for 1 year. I've been updating it monthly, nothing really improved. What I noticed was that 14.1 got worse when the unofficial 15.1 came out.

>I've been updating it monthly, nothing really improved
what do you expect from updates?

New Android come out in a 2-3 year cycle. This is when the recognizable changes happen. Lineage updates during this period (cycle) are mostly security patches, stability updates or bug fixes. You should appreciate them. The idea is not to bring you shiny new buttons or having the latest Linux kernel every two weeks. ARM is different than your x86 computer.

Thank you very much. I was looking at the LG V20. If you have time to answer a few more questions, I would really appreciate it.

1. I need to use a banking app, a calendar app, and Dropbox. Should I do that on an iTouch?

2. Is iOS secure enough from remote fed access to justify using that instead of LineageOS?

3. With a device like the V20 that boasts having a really good audio card, can users of open-source OSes like LineageOS still take advantage of that.

> 1. I need to use a banking app, a calendar app, and Dropbox. Should I do that on an iTouch?

I have a proprietary banking app too where I do stock trading. Yalp Store lets you download apps directly from Google Play Store as apk files.
Just install FDroid from command line.
f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore/

> 2. Is iOS secure enough from remote fed access to justify using that instead of LineageOS?
Why should I spend $1000 for security, when I can get it for $250? There a good reasons, not to use Apple. As a bonus, you are going to learn a lot about smartphones and how android operates, by playing around with it.

stallman.org/apple.html

> 3. With a device like the V20 that boasts having a really good audio card, can users of open-source OSes like LineageOS still take advantage of that.

Sure. From my engineer perspective: LG V20's is using a ESS Sabre ES9218 audio chip. LG's V20 is running Android build by LG. LineageOS is Android build by a free community. In the end, both are Android. And Android is Linux. The chip is supported by the Linux kernel.

this

I forgot to mention that you can encrypt your Android too, even at boot time. I do not trust Apple and the encryption thing they had in the news with the FBI looked more like a marketing stunt to me.

In the end, the phones got decrypted, without mentioning it in the msm.

Attached: 1476303960213.jpg (599x336, 114K)

>Yalp Store lets you download apps directly from Google Play Store as apk files

Oh. So you're saying I can use all the same apps?

What I took from the news report was that the FBI saw an opportunity to pressure Apple to make a backdoor, but Apple wasn't forced to by the courts. In the end, they just cracked the phone itself. They never needed a backdoor.

The creeps.

In most cases, yes. Some may explicitly require GApps library bindings, but banking apps usually don't. Whatsapp and so on work out of the box, but are not listed on FDroid since they are proprietary and not free and open source.

Proprietary and backdoored hardware, SIM cards.

>Besides that, there was a reason why the FBI warned about hardware back doors in those devices earlier this year

Yes, and that reason was that too many people were buying Chinese phones with Chinese backdoors and not (((Western))) phones with alphabet agency backdoors.

So you're saying it's, for instance, LG is not secure. Isn't that just a theory?

Aside, iPhones go down in price. A refurb V20 is $180 whereas a refurb 64GB 6S is $240.

You will find a lot of open source alternatives on FDroid, give it a try. I use Fennec (Firefox) for browsing. It allows me to install ublock for adblocking, while browsing the web on my mobile. They had to rename it since Firefox is a registered trademark.

> Aside, iPhones go down in price. A refurb V20 is $180 whereas a refurb 64GB 6S is $240.
I do not really care about the price of an ithing. What matters for me the most, is the freedom to change the program, to install my own bootloader or rom. I want to control the program. And I can't do that on ithings. I believe in Free as in freedom. Free software, free society.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-03-11 14-56-18.png (546x397, 95K)

What is the benefit using LineageOS compared to AOSP? Gz to the Fuji I have an xe1 myself and never use it these days cause of my phones camera.

>without mentioning it in the msm
Oh fucking bullshit. It was major, widely publicized news. The FBI coordinated with the CIA and used massive computing resources to crack the encryption with brute force. The real trick was developing a copy method so they could clone the original drive and make infinite crack attempts on the copies. Without copies to work on they (theoretically) could only get ten attempts before corrupting the data beyond recovery.

Apple won the court ruing so they didn't have to crack it themselves or provide any assistance. The FBI didn't want to admit they had the ability to crack the encryption. That was the real issue. When Apple won in the courts, the government had to admit publicly they had the resources to brute force the encryption, something they would rather have kept quiet.

It was in the news for weeks. Part of the news was how fast they cracked it. Something like two weeks, tops. Most experts had estimated it could be done in 'about a year.' Even for people who didn't believe a full year was needed, the two weeks was pretty eye-opening to anyone knowledgeable who was paying attention. Normies already believed it could be done in 5 minutes of Hollywood screen time, so they were little surprised.

Understood.

But are you telling me I can play Nintendo apps and use my official bank app by installing them through Yalp?

>idiot that thinks he always has his camera on him

you can install fdroid without adb, fuckhead

5 minutes of Hollywood screen time is more suspense than I experienced.

Fuck off, sperg.

fastest way for me, pajeet talreja

Attached: 1470048358609.png (392x714, 294K)

Usually the apps show a warning during startup, that some libraries like google adsense etc are missing. You need to give it a try. You can always install GApps, it's just a software package.

LineageOS is pretty much AOSP made better by adding features and performance patches. Some like it, some prefer the pure, untouched AOSP.

How does LineageOS with GAapps compare to Android in terms of security?

Which phone are you on? Is it official or some rando unofficial version?

It could use proprietary drivers so it wouldn't work on lineage.
Eg, a lot of cameras perform much worse on lineage than on the stock OS.

Lineage with gapps is no different from ant other android implementation in that it is constantly feeding google data.
You need to forgo gapps completely, or use microg if you need notifications and location services.

Just install LineageOS with microG patch and you're free from Google.

That's why I would not use a Korean LG. First, mega companies like LG have zero interest in free software. Second, Koreans are bad at software, that's why they do not want to release it. No shit. Making games is just ooga booga with some 3d framework.

nice! so the microg devs do their thing and then lineageos releases an os with microg built in?

do you think this or something like it will always be available?

Use this link lineage.microg.org/ and look for your device. Download it and install using the instructions on the site and you're set. MicroG replaces Google Play Services with open source substitutes so everything should work normally without Google bloat.

This is a fork of LineageOS, but it's basically official with just microG patched in. LineageOS devs had a disagreement about the patch so a bunch of devs took it to themselves to maintain a patched version. They update weekly.

I think something like this will always be around in some form or another, there's always people who are looking to move away from Google.

>just a theory?
What? No it isn't.

I put some indian made rom on my phone. Sometimes I think I can hear the camera making noises.
Send help pls.

show bob

thanks for the tip

so you're saying that the feds can access most phone manufacturer hardware regardless of what OS is running?

>regardless of what OS is running?
If your CPU and other hardware is backdoored, yes. And most CPUs are. Nothing will help you in that case, not even encryption.

Are you talking about a scenario where someone physically confiscates or steals the phone? I'm talking about preventing remote access. I have no sensitive data. This is mainly for the sake of philosophy.

>unofficial 15.1
Why did you with all of your experience expect an unofficial build to be stable? And the unofficial build for the latest version of Android on top of everything.

Read again

sir u please dont tell this

Yes I'm personally using it

Works fine on my device friend, but then, I'm not a retarded tech-illiterate brainlet

warning, intellect approaching max capacity

Attached: intelligent 2.png (807x805, 571K)