CEO busted for selling de-botneted phones

archive.is/NyrPV
>For years, a slew of shadowy companies have sold so-called encrypted phones, custom BlackBerry or Android devices that sometimes have the camera and microphone removed and only send secure messages through private networks. Several of those firms allegedly cater primarily for criminal organizations.

>Now, the FBI has arrested the owner of one of the most established companies, Phantom Secure, as part of a complex law enforcement operation, according to court records and sources familiar with the matter.

>In addition to removing the microphone and camera from BlackBerry devices, Phantom also takes out GPS navigation, internet browsing, and normal messenger services, the complaint reads. Phantom then installs Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) software to send encrypted messages, and routes these messages through overseas servers, the complaint alleges.
archive.fo/a7R88
>The documents said: “Phantom Secure’s devices and service were specifically designed to prevent law enforcement from intercepting and monitoring communication on the network, and every facet of Phantom Secure’s corporate structure was set up specifically to facilitate criminal activity and to impede, obstruct and evade law enforcement.”

Offer customers means to protect themselves from the insecure, traceable device that is the modern smartphone, and you get pinned as a criminal. Instead of targeting the actual cartels and criminals, the feds go after non-criminals, because anything that makes their job harder is bad and needs to be outlawed. Using something like gpg is a criminal act according to these articles. Putting tape over your camera is signs of criminal activity, according to these articles.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 13.25.20-fullpage.png (1326x1565, 415K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ko2sIllVVek
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qkjwbv/using-pgp-phones-doesnt-make-you-a-criminal-ontario-judge-says-encryption
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Am I on Buzzfeed? Did you read your own damn article? It literally says he was busted for selling them to drug cartels. It says nothing about putting tape over your camera being a sign of criminal activity. If you do business primarily with criminals, this makes you a suspect. Simply taking steps to protect your privacy does not and the two are not even remotely comparable.

this

>sells privacy enhancing phones
>gets caught

BlackBerry is a descend company
I don't get how that's a crime tho
A lot of counties sell weapons to various terroristic groups

Attached: spikyboy.jpg (636x498, 42K)

If you read between the lines, sentiments like that are tacked on to legitimize the entire thing. They tack on "illicit" to every legitimate practice. "In addition to removing the microphone and camera", as if this this itself is grounds for prosecution. Statements that there are no legitimate uses for privacy, and they equate it to criminality.
>It literally says he was busted for selling them to drug cartels
How is that criminal? He offered a service, which only incidentally can serve illicit purposes. Why isn't the CEO of the toilet paper manufacturer arrested for helping criminals wipe their ass?

>Why isn't the CEO of the toilet paper manufacturer arrested for helping criminals wipe their ass?
because thats where it stops. if the criminals take wiped ass tissues and pack them into plastics bags and sell it, and people who buy them starting stealing/killing then its a problem.

Stop glowing in the dark please.

>Land of the free

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: usa without.jpg (478x700, 45K)

Oh you damn glow in the dark cia niggers.

>you are not allowed to sell things to criminal organizations
we should go after the companies that sell their food instead i am sure this is a totally legitimate tactic

>In order to pin Phantom to criminal activities, Canada’s Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) purchased Phantom devices while posing as drug traffickers. The RCMP then asked if it was safe to send messages such as “sending MDMA to Montreal,” to which Phantom replied it was “totally fine.” The RCMP also pretended that authorities had arrested an associate with incriminating evidence on the phone, and needed Phantom to wipe the device. Multiple undercover agents, posing as drug traffickers looking to expand their operations, also met Ramos in Las Vegas in February 2017, the complaint continues.
>“We made it—we made it specifically for this [drug trafficking] too,” Ramos told undercover agents, according to a transcript included in the complaint.
OP is either a lazy or a dishonest faggot who didn't post the relevant parts of the article.

But that isn't illegal, unless leaf law is different than mutt law.

>In order to pin Phantom to criminal activities
See, now how is this relevant to the phone business? Why would they want to pin anything on him and the company? The answer is because he pissed them off, not because he was doing anything wrong. Yes, the guy is complicit when he manually responds to wipe requests, but that became known only after the fact. The articles aren't about this, they're about "privacy and encryption = bad", and then the justification is because he's a criminal.

>inb4 muh dumbphones with locked basebands and less control over userspace

>Sell people Jolla phones in America
>go to jail

Attached: USA.jpg (355x781, 102K)

You could have just said we should go after the companies that make the cars they smuggle drugs in, if you wanted to use that weak ass argument. What you wrote was embarrassing.

i intentionally used an exaggerated example to show you how retarded the idea is

You're a fucking moron. If the guy was innocent, he would have outright refused to give such services to drug cartels. Yet they were literally trying to aid a drug cartel.
Here, have a (You)

Protip: They don't smuggle car in with cars, they use submarines and drones.

t. Knower

> If the guy was innocent, he would have outright refused to give such services to drug cartels.
why? money is money who cares who it comes from is there a law that says that you are not allowed to do business with criminals?

>is there a law that says that you are not allowed to do business with criminals?
yes, retard

>is there a law that says that you are not allowed to do business with criminals?
Yes, multiple.

then you can go after companies/people selling their cars, food, {insert shit here} and literally starve them to death.

just reading OP's replies made me lose a few neurons, how can someone be that retarded? I hope you're raped and killed in a fire, faggot

Okay, why don't weapon go to jail. Cartels are using guns to kill people

This only applies if they're companies that operate in countries with such laws. Why the fuck would they use a US or Canadian company for food?

Why would taking out a bunch of shit be illegal?
Why would it be illegal to sell things to criminals?

why would you assume that mexico doesn't have such laws? i mean besides it being a virtually lawless shithole of course

>How is that criminal? He offered a service
He offered a service do narco-terrorist organizations. How fucking dense are you?

Yes, you goddamned lunatic.

Avoid conviction
Bin that encryption

Attached: 3843214214.jpg (1920x1080, 404K)

Why are most governments exempt?

because reasons

I would be interested in doing something like this to a cell phone.
It's seems reasonably simple for a hardware point of view to remove the microphone and cameras etc.

But what about the software?
Will the phone boot with these devices removed?

I am surprised there is not a guide for it somewhere.

Not only that, but it's your duty to report the criminals to law enforcement. Crazy, right?

Attached: 1431321372063.png (927x540, 449K)

So what they're selling isn't illegal, but who they're selling to is? Should the people who serve food and gas to criminals be arrested too? What about EMS personnel that help criminals? Why not criminals family and parents for raising and loving them? Why not the criminals landlord or credit provider?

OP your topic and the headline in the image are two totally different things you fucking loser

You know what would be great? If the CEO made the knowledge available for everyone
If he specified how to remove cameras, microphones and made his target audience not criminals he would not be in jail

>sell un-Jewable phones = prison
>sell firearms to terrorist organizations in puppet countries = president of the united states 2008-2016

America pls

>2008-2016
You have a typo there user it's 2001-2009

I stand corrected, and for the record let's throw Carter, Ford and Nixon on there too for the whole basis of the 1979 Iranian Revolution

yes, and they all are when they don't cooperate with the investigations
you are given a choice

you can give the knowledge you know about the criminal, or you can impede the investigation and be arrested
what do you think is normally chosen by people that have transparent business models?

Yes, if any of those know that the person has criminal intent with the service/goods they're providing and not only sells it to them but also fails to report the person to authorities, they're committing a crime.

>thought police at the finest

>why yes, I DID know they're going to rob a bank and then use me as a getaway driver, but you can't hold ME responsible for anything, I'm just a taxi driver

Attached: 1517124452174.png (817x891, 32K)

It's more like you delivering pizza to a place, seeing guns, crack, and bank robbery plans, and then being arrested for not reporting that and telling your customers "yes, this pizza is specifically designed to nourish bank robbery"

Fuck off CIA nigger

He didn't even say that. The robbers asked if the pizza was going to feed them up enough to pull off a robbery and the deliveryman said that yeah, pizza is designed for this [to fill them up]. But then the glow in the dark cia niggers decide to pretend he meant something different by 'this'.

it's called aiding and abetting a known criminal, it's a long-established legal principle, and if you want to have any real hope of taking down organized crime you need a legal system that has it

Obvious move for the feds to leverage this into giving them technical specs or even access. Why else would they go so far for such a tiny company within the smartphone industry.

>glow in the dark cia
what is this meme? I haven't been outside of lit in months.

> it's an older meme sir, but it checks out.
youtu.be/ko2sIllVVek

Attached: cea.jpg (450x339, 24K)

>food and gas helps you subvert the law
>food and gas companies are put in a situation where they would be privy to criminal information
Love this argument.

>oi m8, are you feeding that racist hate speecher?
>Don't you know that's illegal to aid criminals?

It helps you subvert the law just as much as a cellphone does. Either a product is legal or illegal, there is no context. When you say that the phones themselves are legal, you can exchange the product for any number of other legal products in the same trade scenario and the legality remains the same.
What may have been illegal was offering services to remote wipe illegal data from a phone. That's obstruction of Justice, but that's the only crime I can think he actually committed.

Also, if your business is in encrypted and private communication then no, you are not privy to the information being sent on those devices. That's the entire point of the product you offer: it's entirely secure. This is like you saying that a bank vault company CEO should be arrested for selling a vault to a known criminal organization, because they would have the ability to get in the vault.

>Should the people who serve food and gas to criminals be arrested too?
Mexican here. They are arrested too. Sometimes it's even stolen food or gas.
>What about EMS personnel that help criminals?
They already arrest those too. The cartels have their own medic staff and it's illegal to be one of them.
>Why not criminals family and parents for raising and loving them?
I don't understand this part. You're probably retarded.
>Why not the criminals landlord or credit provider?
Yes. These people are being arrested too for complicity. You probably think you were making some very clever point, but actually all the people you mentioned get arrested for doing business with criminal organizations.

Good enough for the cartel, good enough for me. Not even kidding.

Attached: KeyoneBE-CPW-3_0.jpg (1118x830, 130K)

Only in your shithole of a non-country.

And? He can sell his legally owned shit to whoever the fuck he wants

Drug lords don't eat? Do they grow their own food?

>he thinks these things are all fine and not indicative of a failed police state
Dont you have a wall to be building paco?

>>food and gas helps you subvert the law
>criminals don't get food
>they are tired, sloppy and eventually starve
>sell gas to criminals
>to move between safehouses and to run away from police

>>food and gas companies are put in a situation where they would be privy to criminal information
>know where criminals or their helpers are
>selling a phone modified specifically NOT to be tracked is "being privy to criminal information"
>yes, officer, I can confirm that Pablo the II does in fact have a cellphone
>not criminal information

it must suck going outside and seeing a bunch of gorillas holding machetes hanging someone from a rival gang and having to sneak by or run for your life to not get shot.

>have a lemonade stand
>forget one time to run a customer through interpol database
>turns out he was Tyrone Melonwater, a notorious criminal who stole 5 bikes, 3 iPhones, 2 lolipops and one gurl
>I sold a lemonade to a criminal, which helped him survive, aiding him in his vile criminal ways
>that means that now I'm a criminal
>everyone who has ever traded with me helped to get me to where I am now so they're a criminal too
>everyone who traded with them is one too and so on
>I single-handedly ended the human race by making everyone on the planet a criminal and then they got arrested/killed by the police drones
Damn, should've thought of the children

Attached: untitled.png (600x705, 437K)

Would you become a major drug dealer just to get a de-botneted phone, Sup Forums?

Except they found he was using PGP, so it's not legal

>locks on doors make it harder for the feds to enter your house, time to arrest the lock company CEOs
>oh no, a criminal ate some nachos, time to a arrest the Taco Bell CEO
FBI nigger logic.

If I follow all rules and regulations and sell you a handgun with no knowledge of your intent to use it for wrongdoing, it's not my problem when you shoot somebody with it. You're the criminal in that scenario, not me.

Attached: f3e.jpg (600x560, 37K)

Where can I buy one of these phones? If the FBI had this much trouble with these than I gotta get one.

They eat local food dumbass

Right, I forgot that military (TL note: real) encryption is illegal

The absolute state of Mexico

Proof?
Even if I doubt farmers are 100% self-sufficient. If they traded with drug lords they're criminals and then everyone who traded with them is a criminal too

>Open source software is illegal
The absolute state of Canada

Can you not cut cartel members hair? Can you not have their driveway? Can you not fix their roof?

It shows intent, which is why they decided to investigate in the first place.
>malware is open source
>this somehow negates the fact that it's malware
And US was after him, Canada just cooperated

>PGP
>Malware

>Intent
>Literally thoughts
>A crime
The absolute state of CIA niggers

>I have no fucking clue what pgp is: the post

>he sold him a working product - that shows intent
>sorry sir, I cannot sell you unpoisoned bread - you could be a criminal and I don't want to go to jail
>this sick fuck sold him the pen, paper AND the military-grade letter with glue used to send orders - lock him up!

>malware

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qkjwbv/using-pgp-phones-doesnt-make-you-a-criminal-ontario-judge-says-encryption

Please show me where it says PGP is illegal in Canada?

> but it's your duty to report the criminals to law enforcement
Not even close, you fucking US-funded terrorist

Just make the device easy to dismantle.

So is this basically a justify to make unencrypted electronic tools because you (as the user) could be a criminal?
Nanny states never disappoint me.

Attached: 39439-6-6499+6.gif (600x580, 571K)

>be yuropeon
>can't read

There are guides. It isn't illegal to do what that guy did, he just knowingly did it for criminals to aid them which made him an accessory. If you were willing to pay that kind of money to someone, you could have your phone done the same way legally. Most just don't do it because it isn't convenient or worth the money to them.

>someone helps aid a criminal to wipe data and obstruct justice

>this is equivalent to arresting and imprisoning anyone who aided a criminal unknowingly without running every person through a fucking database first and who were engaging in legal commerce that did not have the active purpose of helping a criminal do crime

You are the most hyperbolic little bitch I have ever seen. You and OP are hysterical faggots.

Depends on what you are talking about. Law enforcement can do business with criminals as part of sting operations. Intelligence agencies can do basically whatever they want in the name of national security, but at that point you may as well ask why a country is "allowed" to break the laws of another country without punishment.

>So what they're selling isn't illegal, but who they're selling to is?
Yes.

>Should the people who serve food and gas to criminals be arrested too?
It is not illegal for criminals to eat food or put gas in their car. It is illegal to traffic drugs, and selling cartels devices you know will be used explicitly for that purpose makes you an accessory to that crime.

How about this. It's legal to to buy and own a gun in the US. If you walk into a gun shop and ask the guy behind the counter which gun would be best for killing the highest number of people in the shortest amount of time, he's going to tell you to fuck off and probably call the cops.

If a person robbed some jewelry, goes to a bank and asks the bank manager to rent out a box for him to store his ill-gotten goods until the police stop searching for them, and the bank manager agrees and doesn't report it to the police, the bank manager is aiding and abetting a criminal.

why did that take me so long to notice

>In order to pin Phantom to criminal activities, Canada’s Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) purchased Phantom devices while posing as drug traffickers. The RCMP then asked if it was safe to send messages such as “sending MDMA to Montreal,” to which Phantom replied it was “totally fine.” The RCMP also pretended that authorities had arrested an associate with incriminating evidence on the phone, and needed Phantom to wipe the device.
Wait, so not only did they not find any actual criminal connection, they pretended to be criminals and went to the company asking for assistance? Isn't this complete entrapment? As in, not even a honey pot, but literally asking them to commit a so-called crime and then arresting them for it?

THEY ONLY GOT THE GUY CAUSE THEY ARE lAZY

>instead of taking his tax money to the people, the arrest this faggot and seize all his assets, and put all his earning in evidence, to be untouched, unless a criminal cop takes it. Instead of doing actual work they rather arrest a tax payer who happen to sell privacy phones that cartels might like.

Why isn't apple trialed?

Entrapment is fine and legal if the govt does it for the "good" of the public and johnny bootlicker will gleefully agree along with the glow in the dark cia niggers.

It is not considered entrapment unless they are being manipulated into doing something they would not do otherwise.
If an undercover cop walks up to a drug dealer and asks to buy drugs, then it's totally fine. They did the same sort of thing here. They just went and asked them to help them commit crimes and the company obliged.

What if they thought they were selling the phones to legal drug dealers, like glow in the dark cia niggers?

The phone isn't the illegal part. Offering to encrypt the phones/delete data FOR THE PURPOSE OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY IS.

So, at no point did they think they were giving law abiding people these phones, which would be entirely legal. They were selling these phones under the knowledge that it was to be used for an illegal activity, you dimwitted simpleton.

How much do you glow in the dark?

Why even bother posting if you can't respond with anything other than meaningless drivel?

I always thought a "bald eagle" is a vulchur

where can i get one of these in the current year?

>phantom """secure"""
>their web store doesn't even use HTTPS

wtf?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 23.06.41.png (532x402, 62K)