Have you ever contributed to open source?

Have you ever contributed to open source?

Attached: 1519880126622.jpg (540x443, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

About 15,000 lines of code.

How do you stay motivated knowing that whoever owns the repo might not accept your patch or pull request?

Contrubuted and maintained myself.

What kind of project(s)?

Not OP, but for myself: writing code for the hell of it, not only to contribute. If they don't want my code, fuck them, I can still use it for other projects, like my own. Besides, programming should be fun on its own and way to improve your CS skills, try looking at it that way.

Was going to but then I found out about the CoCs.

I found and patched a driver bug in DragonFly BSD.

No.
Never had motivation or took interest in some project or software to add something to it or to modify it.
Suggestions?

I did once.
Then they kept wanting me to maintain what I contributed when they were making changes to the software I didn't give a shit about and just ran the fork I had modified.

kek, I made a patch to amdgpu to better integrate with steam on linux

Attached: mah games.png (1200x513, 313K)

Some package for scientific analysis (mostly stuff related to packaging itself, not computations), could of REST API clients, small helpful tools. I don't want to give any details to keep my powerlevel down.

> ever contributed to open source?
what for. the pirateable still is way better.

I allow firefox to send reports.

Yeah libSDL, notepad++ and yocto

I have dozens of CoCs under my belt.

Contributed a bi t to wine documentation

I'm not retarded so no.

yes. but then I turned my brain on and started selling my software. fuck commies desu

I write a lot of open source.

Probably few tens of thousand lines and 500+ commits a year.

what have you committed to recently that you're proud to share?

How do you find the time?

No sorry. Would rather not have my identity here.

Honestly, by sacrificing time doing other things. I like writing code which helps me feel not completely drained so it's more like a hobby. I work full-time too writing software, but even so I tend to write slightly different stuff at work vs. home otherwise I doubt I'd do so much.

If I'm feeling a bit burnt out or not in the mood I may take a break from writing for a week or two. It's my own time here so it's important to remember there isn't any obligation from me to do it if I'm not up to it.

I've reported a few bugs that got fixed.

I use GNU/Linux daily but I don't think I've read a single name in any credits.

I translate some of my favourite projects.

Can't code for shit, but I can speak different languages.

Contributing to open source is the equivalent of being a cuckold

Did you become gay?

Open Source a shit. Free Software is where it's at.

added hundreds of const to improve security tenfold

Nearly all my projects are open source nowadays. I've never contributed to other people's projects though other than bug reports tho.

My dad is in the credits for Wireshark

Most stuff I write is for my use, if they don't want it I'm still going to keep it in my fork either way

does CoC count?

I thought about adding a feature a project once, but apparently im a brainlet.

I mean if i code my own stuff i understand what im doing, but how do people even dive into existing projects and contribute ?
I mean it was not a large codebase but still i had no idea what filed did what and i couldn't even find the part in the code that i wanted to improve.

So, how do people get to know the codebase they are trying to improve ?

I have thousands of accepted pull requests.
const
const
const
const
const

Yes, but I find it mentally draining since a lot of the time nobody knows how to write good code.

Yes. But most of the time I don't bother, because the upstream source code quality is that poor.

open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative

Attached: 1516040725708.png (263x300, 18K)

Contributed a few small patches to the lainchan codebase, and helped another user completely overhaul the error functions

Does being an end user count as contribution?

How so, you use software, so you make the software you use better, how do you draw a line between helping others by helping yourself, and vice versa, and letting someone else fuck your wife?

In a way, the idea there is you're going to report any bugs you encounter and suggest improvements, if you never find any it's not necessarily that you're not contributing, just that the devs did a good job

Depends if the devs aim for exposure.

yes i whipped out my huge (but totally useless) CoCk and contributed with it

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Fixed a couple of spelling errors on Wikipedia

Attached: 522.jpg (608x746, 31K)

My biggest contribution was probably the documentation for a 170-star project on GitHub.

Yeah, I added a feature I wanted to a program I use daily.

i sometimes offer to translate stuff for devs so i can get their stuff quicker

Const

I wrote the code for poopypasta

I filed bugs. Does that count?

Yes, I write some FOSS projects.

I package stuff for a distro

Yeah, I contribute quite a lot to a new cryptocurrency, it's fun

what does CoC mean?

Circle of Contempt

Code of Cucking

I wrote part of systemd

Attached: 1520454774542.jpg (280x400, 21K)

Thanks guys

collection of cocks

I complain often in clover and qbittorrent threads.

So yes.

A few times

I've contributed to the elementary.io website. Mostly done so I could stop feeling like a scrub. They eventual ran out of low priority issues for me to handle and I was scared of taking on anything else. Open source contributing is fun, as a novice but I can imagine it'll be very stressful when you go beyond just sweeping up very minor bugs.