/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask away but I'm stupid too.

Can I reinstall Microsoft Office (or at least Word for now) using the Microsoft Office files I got from my Windows.old folder after a system restore?

Attached: 1509741723741.jpg (645x729, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/2187vsm401440
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#History_and_cryptanalysis
sigaintevyh2rzvw.onion/
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3238#issuecomment-358243524
streamable.com/q9u5l
interviewfor.red/en/spectrals.html
gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it okay to use a 95 watt TDP processor on a home server? It's just an estimate of the energy needed to cool the machine when the processor is running at load right?

Attached: 1499140044829.jpg (259x293, 53K)

At 1.350V with 3570K overclocked to 4,4GhZ, i have yet to reach higher temperatures than 55C, even when at full load for several hours... I've never tried to go over or at 1.4V.. Is it safe? Wouldnt mind squeezing out a bit more of this bad boi

How in the Fuck's name do I transfer files (music, photos) between a macbook and an iphone?
I recently got both, and this is beyond retarded - iTunes, Photos app??
Is there something like for Android and Windows, where I can just drag and drop what I want to see on my Mac and what I want to see on my phone?

This syncing and sharing and bullshit is so annoying and confusing, I literally spent two days and couldn't transfer 3 photos from the macbook to the iphone, but in return went from 7GB free space on the iphone to a full iphone, in the process of 'syncing'.
Fuck this is annoying

I was looking at the Ryzen 2400G RX VEGA... With the current state with GPUs being overpriced as hell, and my friend is a cheapo and wants to go as budgety as possible, he wants it for casul gaming, with throwing more money at it later, over time...

Would the 2400G be a viable option for hits? As in just passing on buying GPU for now, and just using the intergrated GPU? He plays shit like Fortnite and such

have NVMe for OS but the longest load is the BIOS screen
have it set to stay up for 0 extra seconds
still takes more seconds than I like
>do dif mobos take dif times to load?
>should I research that the next time I upgrade CPU?

Buy some mid-tier card. All the actual gaming cards are either not available or literally 3 times the recommended sale price. Integrated graphics will not be able to play anything above a flash game on newgrounds.

logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

I mean, i have 750Ti and according to Userbenchmark the RX 11 Vega and the performance seems very comparable gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/2187vsm401440

Don’t know if anyone can help me with this but does anyone have a easy design for an indoor shortwave antenna? Looking to listen in on frequencies between 1000-10000 kHz if that helps

Having problems with my access point. Configured it just fine, pops up on the list but cannot connect to the Internet. Any solutions? I believe I have to reset the main router, but I don't know.

servers at home have to be fanless otherwise you suffocate from the air coolings dust

Ive run out of options so ive come to you guys
I have a nexus 6. Im going to list off a bunch of stuff that may or may not be relevant to my issue.
About a month ago i replaced the screen and digitizer
last friday i came home, sent a text, and sat my phone down
text recipient says they called me like 20 times hoping for an answer
woke up to find my phone was not on anymore, friend says it was ringing on their end when they were calling
its no longer showing that its charging, however i have a power block that shuts itself off when its not charging something and it does not shut off when plugged into phone.
i hit google and nothing seemed similar to my issue since im quite sure its charging, and hard reboots dont do anything
decided to peel the back off again and disconnect the phones power for 1 minute and reconect it
at this point only that corner was accesible
removed the rest of the back, and im not sure if i might have just been a tad rough but the power buttons ribon was disconnected from the mobo. i plugged it in, hooked it up to a charger and now my phone vibrates after being connected for a little. tried the buttons, hard boot, all that, nothing. disconnect and reconnect. phone has a vibrating fit. power button, hard reboot again, nothing. unplug, plug back in, it does nothing, repeat a bunch and it does vibrate after a few tries. send myself an email, maybe loose connection to screen and it actually turned on, who knows. it should vibrate to let me know its received an email if its on though
nothing.
Im afraid to open it the rest of the way up to check screen connections in case i break something not broken already, so i gotta ask, is that the next logical step? if i find nothing, should i try a power button ribbon or something?
Its just so odd that it broke itself while sitting on my desk doing nothing. it wasnt even charging

if tldr; No big woop, im grasping at straws at this point and should just buy another

>get parts for new PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD)
>was previously using a HDD
>notice HDD doesn't appear in the BIOS
>install Windows on the SSD anyways
>boot up windows
>HDD doesn't appear anywhere

What could be causing this? It does have an older windows isntallation on it, didn't bother formatting, thought I could just do it later with the disk manager.

>didn't plug the SATA cable all the way in

I want to die.

i was literally about to tell you to get a USB-SATA cable and test the drive manually

did anything happen to 4chanx? when i came here today, the threads in the catalog are all smaller, the 4chanx reply box is also smaller, it's all so weird. the catalog images being smaller is especially annoying

i didn't update my firefox either (i'm on 55 dev ed)

I cant get Pandora working in Firefox, keeps telling me their cert isnt correct.

I am running Nightly on Win10, no AV software of anykind.

Pandora works fine on other browsers, but not Firefox.

anyone know what the issue is?

I know for a fact you just shitposting at me.
If an energy consumption will be nothing to worry about, then I'll just make sure it's somewhere off the floor.

Attached: 1411701039142.jpg (228x238, 6K)

how do you guys deal from going from NEETdom to a full time job

i just started today doing IT for a healthcare place and really having depression about how much time i'm going to spend and how much less time i have to hang out with friends and do things i like.

Is there money to be made disassembling used/non-functioning laptops and selling the parts?
I'm looking to repair my hp probook 6475b but just the parts cost more than it's resale value, but I can't really sell it without fixing it (broken bezel/back cover)

Why as no one ported i3wm to windows? Its pretty popular so in sure someone would have tried but I can't find anything.

I hate youtube's layout and they dont allow reverting anymore, is there a way to a classic mode?

You cant do that.
Windows UI is the only allowable ui

on a small scale? no, pretty much none. there are precious metals in every laptop but you'd need 100s to get anything worthwhile

the only circumstance where you might be able to make money is with super popular or high end models (macbooks, asus ROG laptops, MSI laptops, alienware, etc) since occasionally you'll get a retard who buys parts for their own computer. but if you just have a shitterbox 4000 no one needs parts so it just isnt worth relisting on ebay every 2 weeks.

if youre looking to become a craigslist computer scalper you should learn how to read motherboard schematics and get really good with a soldering iron and you can fix a lot of "non-functioning" laptops since motherboard problems are a cause of a huge percentage of deaths.

Playing vidya on my pc with my bluetooth xbox one controller causes all my games to freeze for upto 10 seconds at a time and then crashes the game after anywhere from 5 minutes to twenty minutes of gameplay.
I tried using my wired xbox 360 controller and was able to play games like normal.

Is my computer just dumb?

Have a question for all the programmers that taught themselves. Im trying to do the same, but im having issues with motivation/sticking to a schedule kinda thing you know?
I learned a little visual basic in high school and did learn a bit of python 2.7 before I ran into the problems im talking about.
So my questions: did you guys have any similar difficulties like I did? setting a schedule and sticking to it for instance. If so was there anything you did that helped? Did you have trouble learning or learning certain things?
I probably have more questions but thats all I can think of for now.
Not sure if relevant(about things being easier to learn when you are younger) but im 30 years old with clinical depression and a full time(shitty) job. So i am pretty tired when i get home and sometimes its hard for me to get enjoyment outa things like video games like i could when i was a teenager; i think that may be going on here when i try to get into this stuff.

Attached: debian-logo1.jpg (1200x675, 87K)

I've started reading SICP and I follow so far, but I am a bit confused by exercise 1.6. I understand Eva's code, and I follow that instead of using the if function, new-if checks cond on the predicate and has the fallback else, but wouldn't that be functionally identical to if. The program is just running good-enough? through a cond and moving to the appropriate clause, so I fail to see how Alyssa's square-iter differs from the previous square-iter. Is the excercise supposed to make a point on the black-box abstraction mentioned on the next page in section 1.1.8, or am I missing somthing? Thanks.

you won't learn unless you have a reason to learn

for most people that motivation comes from keeping good grades. if you're not in school then start a practical project and learn as you go

I too had trouble with motivation, so I started working on more practical tasks. I made it my goal to complete a Kattis problem daily and I had a board to cound how many days I went. Seeing the number in my board go up really motivated me and I learned a lot from the problem solving. Lots of sites exist for programming problems, (I personally prefer Kattis) and I am sure everyone can learn a lot from them.

this

basically pick something you want to make and what language you want to use, then spend 50 hours googling on how to make it until you can spit out a shitty version of it. then spend another 50 hours learning how to make it less shitty and so on and so forth, or pick another project. the more complex the project the better.

Can images or videos have virus? How?

what's a decent mail provider that doesn't require a phone number and/or a backup email to create an account, that it also accepted by Twitter?
I already tried tutanota, but Twitter won't let me register telling me I "can't perform this action" without saying why, so i guess it's some issue with the email provider i tried

>Did you have trouble learning or learning certain things?
I didnt have a problem learning things, i had a problem retaining things.I could read an entire section, do the classwork, understand it. But once i slept on it and came back to it the next day I drew a blank.
Get on adderall or similar drugs. It really helped me learn and retain info,even if i had to read it multiple times to hammer it in

thats a pretty neat website and a good idea that im wonderin why i didnt think of sooner. im probably gonna give this a shot, with a log too for progress.
what about books? did you guys use any when learning or? i recently bought one of those humblebundle software development bundles, came with several books for a few different languages. i started reading "hacking: the art of exploitation" 2nd edition(no not cause i wanna be a haxor), cause i read that it has a really good programming section. keep readin? cant hurt right?

Only if the reader program had some exploit to read the archive as code, like that old SNES emulator. So no, but you could download a fake .exe file.

What's a program that I can use to crack 7z archives?
I found an archive of old school work I need to look at for reference but little ol autistic me put a password on it. If I remember it's not longer than 8 characters long. I think I have another archive with a list of passwords that I occasionally use.
I've got rarcrack running but that's just brute force, I want to use my list

I'm having a annoying USB disconnects problem on my win 8.1 machine.it randomly disconnects regularly every few hours and at times within 10 minutes apart. Searching haven't help much saying to check your driver's and shit.
The strange thing it only effects machine and doesn't disconnects on any other machines. Pictured is my USB btw thanks

Attached: SAMS32GB_02_samsung_usb_3_0_bar_type_32gb.jpg (1000x1000, 32K)

is the cpu overclocked by chance? or have you messed around with OC settings in BIOS; voltages and stuff like that?
a longshot but this has happened to me as well. my overclock was unstable and was somehow causing issues with my USB slots; sometimes my keyboard would just stop working until i rebooted

i think i bent two of the many tiny pins on my laptop's display cable while i was repairing another component. everything seemed fine for a day or two, but now i'm seeing pink fuzzy lines under hard to describe conditions. i'm going to tear it down and check it out/replace it, but i wanted to know if its possible that another component is affected? thoughts?

i'm asking because i don't have a lot of time to screw around with it. i'm just going to use it like this for a week or so.

Nah non K i5 6000, the motherboard shouldn't have any OC setting enable.
I might try too update my bios though, I'm behind in Intel ME and spectre patch's. It's been awhile since updating bios, is not has scary to do also then back in the day?

Why should I ever spend 100+ dollars on a motherboard?

DUAL-BOOTING LINUX & WIN 10 QUESTION

Ok so I'm currently dualbooting ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 on a 250gb partitioned SSD.
(not full linux b/c I need photoshop and games)

I'm running out of space though, and plan on getting another drive. Can I still dualboot them if they are on separate physical drives? Would I still use grub the same way, or something else?

Attached: qtnb.jpg (1152x883, 233K)

How do I slightly alter an image md5 in python?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#History_and_cryptanalysis

I was pretty sure that grub would be capable of loading things from different drives, but not positive, so I googled "ubuntu grub two hard drives" and the answer was in the first result. The answer is yes, you can do that. Your google-fu is weak.

How do you go from being a NEET to having a full time IT job?

You can either change boot order in the BIOS or set the linux drive to but first and chain the Windows boot manager to GRUB.

How do I extract files from a .vhdx windows image on Xubuntu 16.04?

Attached: contanzne-chewing.gif (600x800, 57K)

Any actual reasons why Apple didn't support
sd card in their iPhone?

Attached: 26152444_1585396704874303_7861451552404275200_n.jpg (958x1198, 437K)

anyone?

does anyone use OSX as a software development environment? how is it compared to windows and linux? i read somewhere that some people preferred it over linux because of how distracting linux can be with all the stuff you can tinker with and change.
kinda wanted to try out OSX anyway. gonna try it in a VM first, but im considering dual booting if i end up liking it. im on ryzen and windows 10 now. ive heard of a few people using OSX and ryzen but have no information about it besides that.
is setting up a modern version of OSX on a ryzen system difficult?
if you looked into tutanota, have you checked out protonmail? it shows a twitter logo on their website, but i dont know if that means it has what you want with twitter.

Hello, i am looking for a laptop that can decently run games on about a 600-700 dollar budget, can you guys help me find one?

hum, i know how to do that on windows but not sure on ubuntu. can you use your VM software to mount and explore the files? on windows you can mount it through the control panel>comp management>disk management.
can always run windows as a guest OS and do it that way heh

Attached: Untitled.jpg (987x708, 122K)

>protonmail
tried to create an account right now, it does not ask for a recovery mail, but it does require either a phone number or a mail address to complete the registration, the only way to register without those is by donating money, which i'm not gonna do, especially not nowing if it will work wit Twitter(tutanota has the twitter logo on their page too, it just links to their twitter account, it means nothing)

normal people dont have 100 apps installed, keep thousands of pics/videos on their phone, and use the cloud (e.g spotify) for music...so anything bigger than 128GB is not needed

Is Debian good for touchscreen laptops?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M PRO
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Cooler: Corsair H60
Case: Bitfenix Phenom Micro-ATX
Extra: Corsair SP120 Fan

is this a good deal for $615?

no clue then, i dont know anything about twitter

>GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
assuming this isnt a burnt out dead mining card, that alone is around $400. so yeah its a good deal, though the ram is low and the cpu is kinda crappy; 4 cores 4 threads and no hyperthreading.
is this a prebuilt or? might be worth it to buy and resell

Unfortunately I don't have a windows VM. I was hoping to avoid that through some method in Linux. Thank you for your help though.

I did a little googling and Stack Overflow suggested libguestfs-tools. But warns about read-only extraction. Does read-only extraction mean I can't edit or use files extracted from my .vhdx?

whats the best phone for $200

Ignoring that twitter issue, any other mail provider that does not require phone number and/or mail to register?

only other "secure" mail im aware of is sigaint, and im not sure if its even still being maintained. you needed tor to connect to it
sigaintevyh2rzvw.onion/
if you wanna try.
im sure you can google and find other similar providers like tutanota/protonmail, though nowadays everything requires a phone number

Is it possible to update my rebooted iPhone 5s to ios9 or 10?

No, that means you can't modify the files on the image. qemu-nbd can do read-write or read-only. Comes with the regular qemu package on most distros.

I need to display an Image from a database on a datagrid, using WPF C#, I already know how to convert the byte[] to an image, but how the fuck do I do the datagrid part?

So if I extract, say, a .cpp from the image and store it locally on Xubuntu, I could edit it in vim no problem?

Anyone else use qutebrowser? I got Sup Forums-x working with the new Greasemonkey support, but I can't get Oneechan to work at all. Dunno if it's just on my end or not.

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3238#issuecomment-358243524

Ah. Well, that sucks.

You can do whatever you want with any file once you've copied it onto a filesystem you have read-write access to.

streamable.com/q9u5l

I'm on Windows 10 and have suspended ShellExperienceHost.exe app that seems to be fucking with my star menu search. If I search for something like "Update" to do a windows update it will return a result ("check for updates") but clicks don't open the program. If I search for non windows apps (?) like a game or something then I can click them fine. Running the Start Menu Troubleshooter says my Live Tile Database is corrupted but cannot be repaired. I created a new user account to troubleshoot and it couldn't click those results either. In addition I get an error when clicking on "Cortana & Search settings" about ms-settings:cortana "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action"[...]. Any ideas for a solution?

Is there a linux program I can use to track my hours played in video games or other software? I wish lutris could do it.

Just use a normal counter

is there any way to verify a .flac came from an actual cdda, not an .mp3 ?

Is airplane mode on or something?

interviewfor.red/en/spectrals.html

I doubt it, i never use it really but i cant confirm 100% because it either isnt powering on or the screen isnt working

anyone have any opinions on this? OSX as a development environment.

is it a good idea to clone a dying hdd to a new one or should i install everything from scratch
in case of cloning what happens to smart error reports and stuff

Decided its time to get a vpn. Whats the best VPN I could get that at the same time won't sell my browsing information to any third part.

Attached: tumblr_n9iokm35lV1s9gsu0o1_500.gif (500x375, 513K)

No.

If your drive is dying to the point where you're worried about it, you should've cloned it long before it was dying.

That being said: You're better off with reinstalling everything from scratch due the high chance of corruption in the process of cloning from a dead drive. It may seem tedious but its a lot less tedious than figuring out which programs cloned successfully and which ones didn't (which trust me, you'd probably have to do.)

>won't sell my browsing information
No guarantees there. For torrenting, go PIA. Otherwise don't bother.

gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

noted. Thanks user

Just installed uTox and it doesnt even boot. Tried to start it by the terminal and it gave me this
"ASan runtime does not come first in initial library list; you should either link runtime to your application or manually preload it with LD_PRELOAD."
I don't even know what this means.

Anyway to recover CMOS password in my old laptop? I messed around in the bios menu ages ago and the only way to bypass the password screen is by pressing f2 really fast when it turned on

Pls help I dun goofed

Attached: 28430403_1927135027616304_4247274089359605760_n.jpg (1080x1080, 922K)

I can't save anything on firefox-esr (52) and I don't understand why. I can't ctrl+s to save and right clicking save image as doesn't work either (nothing pops up after clicking). I would just upgrade to 56 but it's not in the Void repositories. What do I do?

Attached: pixiv58588895_8.png (447x432, 138K)

What is the best,most discreet keylogger. Was thinking about testing SpyLantern.

Dumb phoneposter here.

How do I stop this dipshit site asking me if I "want to resubmit this form" whenever I come back to a thread and I used up my RAM elsewhere? No matter what I click it returns me to the board index and pressing back just shows either a captcha error or sends me to the board index again.

Attached: IMG_0528.jpg (537x807, 87K)

Does MacOS support high refresh rates (144Hz I'm interested in) for the desktop? From Googling I've found it does for games, but I've found no mention of whether or not animations and windows can be rendered higher than 60Hz.

Tits or gtfo

Build it from source?

best way to temporarily deactivate my HDD full of smut when i have company over so i dont accidentally open something from it?

Attached: 1520718376117.jpg (1672x2221, 645K)

1. Stop using macshit
2. Your problem just solved itself

In all seriousness, there are lots of other options for transferring files like google drive or dropbox or just emailing it to yourself if the files are small if you can't find a solution.
I don't use mac so I can't suggest a mac solution.

Dont have company over

Keep the os in the ssd and use the other drive for storage

If you're on Windows, just remove the drive letter from diskmgmt.msc and reassign it when you're done

>128GB
What do people put on their phone?
I barely use 16GB