World's first Crypto Heater

Can't make this shit up senpai. AMD being eternal heaters

Attached: housefires.png (609x787, 369K)

Do you have a better use for all the heat generated? I'd buy one of those. But of course you're probably some Pajeet that lives in a jungle and has never seen snow.

I'd buy one of these for $3,000. Computation, especially mining is inherently ineffecient and even the Etherium foundation themselves have stated that "Proof of Work implies the inefficient conversion of electricity into heat, Ether and network stability" (2015 roadmap blogpost) by harnessing heat, they are creating greemer computing, and while I doubt that this thing will ever offset it's asking price, it's a cool heater and a much greener way to mine.

That's a great idea actually. Putting 580s in it seems like a waste though, given their fairly low TDP. They should farm up some Hawaii/Grenada cards instead and stick those in there.

this is good for bitcoin

>greener way to mine
It's only greener if you're using it to replace some of your home heating with it. But you could do that with any mining rig. Really, all this has going for it is that it's 1) noiseless, and 2) looks nice. Value for dollar as a miner and/or heater is pretty poor.

And bitcoin is bad for the world.

Why hasn't any company connected like 100 GPUs mining buttcoin to a steam turbine system yet?

What happens 3 years later when you burn out the cards?
$3000 for a heater that only lasts 3 years doesn't sound very efficient

Reminder that reverse cycle air conditioning heat pumps are far more energy efficient then resistance heating

Attached: heat-pump-chart.jpg (565x320, 44K)

/thread

Agreed. No one is buying it for the value, but it is still a super neat concept. It would be really cool if some apartment building put a crypto farm in the basement and piped the heat up to heat the tennants.

They don't get hot enough to generate steam.

You'd have to build a complicated heat exchanger system since you cant let the gpus go over boiling temp.

>Use 2-5 year old GPUs
>They die in a month

Watercooled and overclocked 580s to heat up the driveway?

what about those motors that run on heat....

can't remember name, just know they look some willy wanka shit

So both the two and five year old GPUs will die in exactly one month? What made the five year old ones survive for an extra three years over the two year old ones then?

Stirling engines. That might work, but the amount of energy reclaimed would be pretty low.

Doesn't work so good during the summer.

Actually, now that I think about it, heating your home using a mining rig would be substantially LESS green than regular old electric heating (nevermind natural gas or a heat pump). The carbon footprint of a mining rig is quite a bit higher than an electric heater (as evidenced by its cost), so there's nothing "green" about it.

Shaking my head, to be quite honest.

That's why they are selling it as a gimmick for idiots.

I've been doing this all winter actually. Iowa keeps the house around 40 even when it's well insulated.

$3000 for a heater that earned you $10000 seems pretty good to me