Sysadmin thread!

sysadmin thread!

>be me
>sysadmin at shittily managed medium size accounting corp
>all upper IT including myself reports to CTO because good company structure(R)
>fatass CTO kicks bucket of massive heart attack
>this is a problem because we have an approval basis for pretty much any task that requires a brain (again, great company structure)
>rather than just relax the rules while he finds a replacement, CEO insists we keep it and go through him instead
>he quickly starts flipping shit because half of his day is being taken up by trying to comprehend IT issues pending approval
>this results in a quarter-assed internal promotion of the barely qualified head of frontend support (I was before her in line, but fuck a comparatively minimal raise for a C-level position in an org that badly organized)
>as stated earlier upper IT reports to the CTO, which means by extension that the CTO has the same powers we have and can override us if they want
>this includes hiring and firing with CEO approval
>CEO, happy to be relieved of IT duties, rubber stamps anything the CTO puts on his desk with minimal checking
>this results in the IT department rapidly undergoing "more rigorous performance evaluation" and being filled out with members of the new CTO's massive, deadbeat, unqualified family
>she starts with the helpdesk positions and such but starts working her way into management and I can tell that I'm in line sooner or later
>start getting new job lined up
>pretty much ready to give my 2 weeks if she doesn't do it for me

continued

Attached: windows-10-logo.png (1024x1024, 12K)

fuck off, install gentoo

continued

>ButWaitTheresMore.bat
>why leave peacefully
>hatch idea
>get audience with CTO, bullshit her for an hour about how the workplace absolutely needs to moved from W7 / Server '08 to W10 / Server '16
>she doesn't really care and assumes I know what I'm doing
>Approval.txt
>the day comes
>CTO says she's going to observe me on the job for a day along with her second cousin, who will be sitting in because he's "trying to learn real world IT skills"
>i.e., I'm being replaced by the second cuz and this is an on-job training session
>show him some basic bullshit, manage the shared NAS, make sure backup servers are online, add users to workgroups
>helpdesk level shit
>but mostly, emphasize that the company is going to undergo a large rollover from W7 to W10 within the next week and I've been setting it up since I got approved (which was about three weeks ago and change)
>(I had cobbled it together in about two days)

continued

last one

>the "setup" consisted of a large OU with an applocker that kept any W7 machine from accessing the company internet or using the NAS, basically forcing the owner of that machine to upgrade to W10 while not technically making any machine-level changes they didn't approve
>decline to mention that there are about thirty assorted mission critical W7 PCs or other devices that either perform essential automated functions or are essential for certain departments, which can't go offline
>under my stated OU conditions, if these machines were added to the OU they would be knocked out for perhaps a few hours until upgraded
>however, I've subtly added some time-activated provisions to the larger company internet config that prevent those machines from connecting at all (threw in a few normal PCs as well and left a couple of the less important mission criticals out, to avert suspicion)
>these will trigger a few hours after the time I've told flyboy that the "upgrade" is due to occur (i.e., all W7 machines get moved into the OU)
>two days later, CTO says she was "severely disappointed" by my on-the-job performance and I'll be replaced effective immediately by her second cousin, who she believes will be a great fit for the position thanks to half watching me for a day
>what a surprise
>fuck off and start work at new position, not incredible but far less dysfunctional than what I just left
>heard through a friend of a friend that my old work lost almost an entire revenue week because they couldn't get essential machines working after a sitewide OS upgrade
>they had to bring in a consultant and reconfigure the company internet from scratch to get things rolling again
>what a shame, their sysadmin must suck

>be sys admin
>spend all day browsing Sup Forums
>get paid $5k a month

Attached: 1510492393889.jpg (499x499, 52K)

> sysadmin thread
posts windows 10

You aren't a sysadmin.

quite devilish OP. I hate nepotism so you have my support. Also,

>things that happened

> be me working as the Sr DevOps Engineer
> task is to make all systems PCI compliant
> me not being a retard and have chef on all systems, this is easy
> one of the PCI requirements is idle timeout; specifically 10 minute max for ssh
> 2-3 weeks later hire a "IT dept manager"
> He starts raging that he keeps getting "disconnected" from SSH when he leaves his desk
> I explain that is because we're PCI compliant and that its required
> Him being a retard wants it disabled
> Me being a non-retard explains that CTO would rage if I personally disabled this idle timeout as we sign on clients as being PCI compliant
> He starts circle-jerking with management for 2-3 weeks
> He has a "private" meeting with me telling me to remove it as "CTO says so"
> Me being me and having no respect for illegitimate authority, I tell him to send a PR disabling it and I'll approve it so long as his name is attached to it
> Me being a good employee leave early (I came in early and put in like 10 hours)
> I get an alert on phone, try to login to check and BAYUM account disabled
> Get call from CTO "YOURE FIRED"; he explains "you didnt disable the ssh idle timeout"
> accept job next day
> get call next day saying they fired me as a mistake
> tell them I'm en-route to new job which is remote and they couldnt pay me enough to come back
> 2 weeks later cuck "IT manager" quits

Not him, but you're a retard who has no idea what "sysadmin" means.

I'm I've been a sysadmin for 10 years in Unix/Linux.

If you think "desktop support" is a system admin, or managing Activie Directory or Windows DNS/DHCP is being a sysadmin you're a fucking retard.

I've yet to see a "Windows Admin" be capable of even using powershell for admin tasks.

not the guy you are responding to, but you do know that theres windows servers out there still right? and those servers need people to manage them. windows servers blow and are a joke, but a sysadmin is a sysadmin. dont belittle your own

A Windows Admin is not a sysadmin. The pay scale and skill requirements show it.

I've yet to see a windows admin do:
> Large scale infrastructure automation
> They're incompetent when it comes to scripting
> They're incompetent and create silo's for technologies they believe "arent part of their job" such as learning a database server such as SQL Server.
> They often have no fucking clue how to configure routers/switches/firewalls.
> They rarely if at all understand how virtualization works including the difference between OS-level and hypervisor level virtualization
> They rarely if ever understand how to engineer systems; such as architecting for fault tolerance using CARP, VRRP, etc.
> They often have no idea how to manage logs at large scale; instead opting for a paid for solution such as splunk that does it for you because they are too retarded to read documentation
> They more often than not have no idea that certain OS's have better applications for the task at hand; for example they would have no idea when you'd use OpenBSD on a network versus when to use FreeBSD vs when to use something like CentOS.

You cant be a sysadmin if you have no idea how to automate systems, how to engineer them, and how to automate them.

Guess thats why I make 150k and "Windows sysadmins" are stuck in the 50k range.

>I've been a sysadmin for 10 years in Unix/Linux.
Which only shows you have managed to stay retarded for 10 years straight. Which is expected, as it's your medical condition.
OS is a tool, user. Were you to be less retarded you might've realized it too.

> you have managed to stay retarded for 10 years straight
makes 6 figures, $250 deductible healthcare, vested shared after a year

yea, so retarded

>people are willing to pay for my autism
>yea, so retarded
Exactly.

>>people are willing to pay for my autism
Actually, to make the kind of pay I have you need good interpersonal skills; especially when you're interacting with C-suite.

Just because I'm an asshole on Sup Forums doesn't mean I'm an asshole IRL mate.

Anyways
> 1 upped me
AUTISM

>vested shared after a year
it's weird seeing this considering all our contributions are immediately vested

I read this story on reddit like 2 months ago, OP is a big fat fucking phony

Usually a trade off. I could have been immediately vested but it was less shares.

user, you have the mindset of a retard, thus that's who you are. And given how defensive you're about it, you might have some related insecurities.

I like what I do. Pretty much devops; I do 50/50 operations work and development for tooling/automation within our team. Best part is Windows isn't a part of any of the infrastructure. Team is small so I get to make a lot of decisions on how things are done and lay the foundation for many things, it's fun.

bullshit post link

I must've struck a nerve with desktop support "sysadmins" today. It hurts doesnt it?

Thats not devops.

Only retards think that "devops" means you do two jobs at once.

>literally "no you"
I'm a programmer, user.

wtf is CTO?
I shiggy diggy
ayy lmao

yeah, devops are failed programmers

I'm going to start a CCNA program soon. Besides kill myself, what should I do/look out for? How did you get your start?

Attached: received_10155986940337870.jpg (750x1334, 70K)

At my old job the used alot of powershell scripts to do basic administrational tasks. You just didnt see anything yet then. I work with redhat these days so my windows days are gone.

>be sysadmin
>be pooping atm, during office hours

Feels good man

gay

People hate me because I decided against taking the path of the sysadmin

Did I do wrong? I just don't feel suicidal and the few people I know on that field do.

>be wincuck shitkicker
>get butthurt
>blog about it on cambodian caricature site

Tell the dumb cunt to use tmux, the little clock will keep the session alive.

>not knowing the old top trick

I was doing top 20 years ago back when FW1 would drop state on your idle sessions.