It took about 25 years for vinyl to come back from extinction once people got tired of CD compression...

It took about 25 years for vinyl to come back from extinction once people got tired of CD compression, postage-stamp album art, and albums being padded with a dozen useless filler tracks to take up all the space.

I wager by about the 2030s, we should see CRTs make a comeback once hipsters/videophiles get tired of upscaling lag, shitty colors/blacks, and all that.

Attached: trinitron.jpg (1600x1200, 257K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the vinyl was never really gone.
it was produced throughout, crts aren't produced anymore. but it probably will come back in a further developed way, like sed/ped.

I think environmental restrictions will prevent CRT TVs from making a comeback.

>we should see CRTs make a comeback once hipsters/videophiles get tired of upscaling lag, shitty colors/blacks, and all that.
Agreed but only if they're those nice widescreen HD CRTs.

Vinyl has made a resurgence for collection purposes, not for listening purposes.

>it was produced throughout, crts aren't produced anymore

They still make some in China but they're not sold in any developed nations.

A lot of vinyl presses were dragged out of mothballs, many hadn't been used in 20+ years when the revival started. I wonder how much CRT manufacturing equips is sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be put back into use someday.

No idea but there have been a lot of CRTs found in abandoned factories, I remember one photo showing a huge pile of monitors in various states of completion somewhere. It's quite probable that all the manufacturing equipment is still there with them.

Until the normie realizes that for CRTs the largest size still viable for the average room was 32" compared to 55" for a led TV that you can hang on the wall like a picture frame.

CRT monitors are ight but TV's fuck no.

Attached: 1504306744699.jpg (1920x1080, 1.56M)

>I wager by about the 2030s, we should see CRTs make a comeback once hipsters/videophiles get tired of upscaling lag, shitty colors/blacks, and all that.
See CRT

Disagree. There's no advantage at all to using a CRT for Microsoft Office and actually a lot of disadvantages. Where they do have an advantage is with motion, not static images.

CRT is already back you idiot

CRT manufacturing equipment is huge, bulky stuff, it's not very easy to dismantle or dispose of. Chances are there's a lot of it gathering dust in an abandoned factory.

Vinyls aren't really back

future crt tvs will be flat as tfts, the technology exists.

Eh goodpoint. No advantage to using Facebook or YouTube with a CRT. Those points don't really overcome enough the obstacle that CRT TV's. Size, manufacturing, distribution etc..

They were put up with cause that was the tech we had.

>not static images.
If the static images uses colors and black there is.
In other words there is always an advantage.

Videophiles don't give a shit about crts, it's all hipster nostalgia driving the interest.

>muh input lag
Modern LEDs have muh blacks
By 2030 OLEDs will be cheaper than paper
>muh upscaling
The fuck are you even talking about? Upscaled looks like trash on everything.

No one except the most attention-starved hipsters will go back to the gigantic and heavy monstrosities that were CRTs.

>By 2030
by 2030 oled will be old news, even if image retention an burn-in will be fixed by then.

>it's all hipster nostalgia driving the interest
So same as vinyl?

It is for listening purposes, in fact a large part of it was because people got tired of CD brickwalling.

Vinyl came back? Lol

I seen it sold in best buy for like a week last year. It "came back" you said, lol when? Just because it was in some shit store?

Not only does vinyl suck, it's inferior technology.

And now you think a 200lb tv with 480p is going to replace 2k or 4k or 16k in 2030? Lol gtfo

>I wager by about the 2030s, we should see CRTs make a comeback once hipsters/videophiles get tired of upscaling lag, shitty colors/blacks, and all that.
Probably
No, there is nothing dangerous inside of them.
Those tubes are shitty.

CRT are a dead duck

Plasma could make a comeback

>Vinyl came back?
yeah its fucking weird they were literally playing vinyl on AM radio this morning, its the in thing right now
>Not only does vinyl suck, it's inferior technology.
wrong motherfucker its alternative tech that needs a lot of babbying to not destroy it (good clean stylus, low tracking force ect) but if used correctly the sound reproduction is excellent

It is still inferior. The people that like it only think its great because of the placebo effect.

The people who buy vinyl today don't play them. They don't have turntables. They are collectors items.

nigga, CRTs are already back

why and why

>No, there is nothing dangerous inside of them.
Lead?

Vinyl and CRT are meme shit that exist only because of pseudonostalgia and/or aesthetic value.
CRT is better only on one out of 16 million colors. Also OLED is the newest meme and it has muh blacks

Vinyl is better at recording the human voice and instruments but it can't capture some sounds especially electronic music effectively.

>CRT is better only on one out of 16 million colors. Also OLED is the newest meme and it has muh blacks
>thinks black is a color....
>has also only ever seen grey on his monitor

Elaborate.

LG makes digital models for the South Korean market

wut

they never left. most any album released has a vinyl pressing. it maybe a bit niche and enthusiast, but because it's stupidly cheap to make, vinyl makes money in that niche market for audiophiles and hipsters. it's literally stamping out discs from a master, no heavy digital encoding, tape dubbing, server upkeep etc

I found a picture of this on a site that mentions it being sold in India.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (600x600, 46K)

There are also still new 8" floppies made for US government legacy computer systems.

i've got an older Zenith Wedge system that is my main soundsystem in my den, using the analogue output on my flatpanet to input to it, plus i have old and new vinyl i listen to, like Beck's Morning Phase album, and soe older Queen and Cat Stevens. as well, i have a 3.5mm cable for MP3 players and phones. But also, i grew up with it, im literally turning 39 tomorrow, and the tech never left my radar, with some of my collection being from my childhood.

Fair enough, we've established that they still sell CRTs in Third World countries. VCRs are definitely gone though, Funai quit making them in 2016 and they were apparently the very last manufacturer.

exactly. for some things, they are still cheaper to use in some markets due to surplus equipment and materials, as well as the fact of some legacy demand. As well, there is somewhat of a demand for it. Honestly, in the North American market, there is enough of a second hand market for people wanting higher end rigs like Trinitron/Apeture Grill displays and PVM/BVMs that it is fairly self sustaining. If the tubes themselves dont break, they are all servicable, with most things needing replacement being capacitors or resistors, with the exception being a few proprietary ICs or ASICs, but models with broken tubes can be easily cannibalized for these!

yeah, but as is for many people who want them you can get them on the second hand market easily, with some sellers specializing in 'new old stock'. but as for mainstream, VHS is deader than Disco

I predict cassettes will make a comeback. I don't see CRTs being popular again though, normies are all about muh thin and light.

Black is a shade of grey, like white.

DLP projection is objectively superior than CRT for everything except viewing angles. If anything makes a comeback it will be that.

>Modern LEDs have

>they are still cheaper to use in some markets due to surplus equipment and materials
You're saying they bought up Sony's CRT plants/equipment after they dropped Trinitrons and they can keep making them with cheap Third World labor and no dumping/environmental rules.

I looked up an article on that and it said Funai were "the last known VCR manufacturer".

>the last known manufacturer
What are they getting at? That there's still possibly VCRs being made by slave labor in a North Korean prison camp or something? That seems a little farfetched.

i'd say that's basically what they did, as it would be cheaper (or better, as they were probably paid for the equipment) than destroying the 'obsolete' equipment, selling it to another company that still had a desire and demand for the product. One person's trash is another's treasure, and all that stuff.

Eurocuck detected.

exactly. try using a light gun or light pen on an LED or even HD CRT. Mind you, legacy hardware is best suited for it's own kind, not retrofitting. It's one thing to have an RGB modded NES and an upscaler, another to try using a lightgun with that gear hooked to a 4K tv

same restrictions here in Canada, you have to bring your electronics to a recycling center here. it's a good gig for some of the workers there, they can cherry pick things like Commodore Monitors, Trinitrons, old microcomputers etc.

Like I said, CRT manufacturing equipment is huge, heavy, and bulky. It's probably cheaper to either sell it off or just close down the factory and forget about it rather than dismantle and throw it away. Thomson had a CRT plant in Indiana that unfortunately got torched by a disgruntled employee when they closed production in 2005. Otherwise it would probably all still be there gathering cobwebs.

micro led is the future of screen technology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED

it is an inorganic led superior in all parameters to OLEDs

only downside is cost

Clearly you missed the point. Obviously you will have to recycle them. But in Europe incandescent light bulbs were made illegal by the EU because "muh energy usage". This would be the same case. I think a few other countries over there have even made carburetors illegal on new cars over there.

yeah. so why not make a few bucks off of it selling it to a company in a country where your left hand doubles as toilet paper,instead of paying a bunch of labourers and d'gub'ment to take it all apart. I agree with you whole heartedly

Niche market means it's not back

not illegal here, but a dollar store item for quick fixed usually, as it is cheaper in the long run to use a CFL, and even those are getting phased out due to cost, as LED bulbs are now popping up for cheap, and are easier to recycle.

Same with CRTs and dumping restrictions. In fact I could also blame some of it on governments mandating the forced use of digital TV transmission. I never understood the reason for that. You could say ok it's kind of silly for a station to still broadcast analog TV signals, but if they still want to for whatever reason, that's their problem. Why force them to stop?

But CRTs are worse than hdtvs. The picture quality is garbage.

t. VHS collector

yeah it means it never left. you could still buy releases on vinyl in the 90s and into the 2000s, and then with the advent of the internet and online shopping, it made it only easier for companies to sell them, increasing demand once again. it will never be like it was pre-1980s, but it's healthy enough that big labels and small alike can get albums put out on vinyl. don't use confirmation bias as an answer instead of actual facts, you come off fairly neckbeard.

>You could say ok it's kind of silly for a station to still broadcast analog TV signals, but if they still want to for whatever reason, that's their problem. Why force them to stop?
You see Mr. Noseberg Shekelstein doesn't like the idea of his Hollywood productions potentially being received for free. He wants to make sure only those who paid for it can see.

Vinyl is dead. That doesn't mean a small small fraction of people don't listen to them. Everyone knows you can still buy records, idiot.

so if it's 'dead' why sell it, or players that cost as much as a new iPhone?

>Vinyl is back
Only for hipsters. Everyone else went digital.

>CD compression
Go digital.

>Postage stamp album art
Only nerds care about that dumb crap.

>Albums being padded with a dozen useless filler tracks to take up all the space
Quit listening to shit music.

Attached: 1520661674279.jpg (249x250, 7K)

they are too heavy tho. soyboys cant even move them.

>if it's viable why is it niche and expensive

???

The process used to evacuate the air from the tube uses mercury, not lead, but you get the point. It also goes without saying that mercury is much more of a hazard than lead because it can vaporize, whereas lead requires ingestion to be dangerous.

There used to be a cottage industry of CRT rebuilders who'd replace shot electron guns. They'd bake the tube in an oven for a few hours to reseal it. I'd assumed something similar was done at the factory.

yeah my 27" Samsung is a bitch to lift, hauled that bastard up two flights of stairs in my recent move. I use it for VHS and retrogaming, plus VHS to DVD transfers with my USB capture card (makes me a few bucks, so why not?). but yeah, i can see one of these soylent drinking fucks whining that they need help from a ballstretching friend to lift one.
yeah it's a vacuum set up with a glassblowers torch, basically.
shit makes money, so why u so mad?

i read "crts will be flat as tits" and was i wondering what kind of tits you've been grabbing that are flat

PCBs can be lead-free
CFLs have mercury, and yet they are not banned. Also a lot of LCDs still use CCFLs for backlight.

I used to have a Proscan 27" and I don't remember it being that brutally heavy. It did have a 100° tube and not a 90° one so that did make it a little more compact.

this one is one of them big-ass ones they made just before they dropped doing CRTs all together, and from a guy who worked in the steel industry for a living, this thing is nearly a boat anchor.

Attached: DSCN0031.jpg (4608x3456, 3.44M)

I can't tell if that's a 90 or 100° tube but it looks like the latter.

LG has always been a shitty brand though, their HDTVs are shit too.

Back in the day I had a 32" Sony Trinitron CRT television. It was the dogs bollocks but it did Have it's drawbacks; it weighed a fucking tonne and it took two people to lift it.

Back in the day I used to make televisions for a well known brand and trust me, most of those motherfuckers worked better as toasters than television sets.

Today I own the same brand I work for. It's a 55" UHD curved display and it is fucking superb.

Sure, you have to turn off HDR+ when you're watching sports because of screen artefacts but that is something I can live with when I'm watching The Grand Tour with such quality like it's like looking through my front window.

CRT television sets will never make a comeback because a) environmental legislation, b) Millennial peeps are too weak to lift the fucking things and c) the market would be so niche it would not be financially viable to produce them again. Oh and d) if you want a CRT TV then you're a daft cunt.

I thank you.

>CFLs have mercury, and yet they are not banned.
That's sort of a different matter because CFLs are far less susceptible to breaking. Not to mention, the amount of mercurcy directly scales with volume.

I'm not in favor of CRTs being banned BTW, I was just correcting the user who thought CRTs had lead in them.

I actually want to buy a CRT now for playing old vidya. Not gonna lie some good setups from the BST thread got me.

I can't tell if that's a cool modded 360 controller or a shitty 3rd party one

>InuYasha

Attached: Barf.gif (480x270, 3.38M)

no arguement there, i've been a Samsung guy, my two flatpanels and my CRT in are all Samsungs. Mind you, my 42" is one of the ones with faulty capacitors from them, so i had to recap it myself (lotta fun if you know your way around a soldering iron).

>Back in the day I used to make televisions for a well known brand and trust me, most of those motherfuckers worked better as toasters than television sets.
>Today I own the same brand I work for. It's a 55" UHD curved display and it is fucking superb.
>Sure, you have to turn off HDR+ when you're watching sports because of screen artefacts but that is something I can live with when I'm watching The Grand Tour with such quality like it's like looking through my front window.

Oh but you still work for said well known brand and are here serving as a marketer for them.

Rockcandy, official 3rd party, endorsed by MS, feels and works the same, got 5 years out of it so far, only issue is a bit of a dead zone with the thumbsticks, but that's it!

this lil cutie is much easier to lift, and it does composite/mono audio input, so it's good for power outtages, i can hook up my Pi to a battery kit i have and watch movies when im camping as well.

Attached: DSCN0033.jpg (4608x3456, 3.48M)

>Today I own the same brand I work for. It's a 55" UHD curved display and it is fucking superb.

>aim light gun at 55" UHD curved display
You see what the problem here is.

How it is possible to be so weak? 70 kgs is easy to lift, and I am fat and not sporty at all.

Dunno, it is easier to break a lightbulb, then a CRT.
And CRTs had a neck of leaded glass for some reasons.

Anyway, why to ban all dangerous shit, when it is better to ban idiots? Lead solder is way better, then lead-free, but due to stupid niggers, who had dumped electronics is field they have banned it...

Motion is a problem that flat panels haven't yet beaten a CRT on, nor will they as long as they use sample-and-hold.

>The fuck are you even talking about? Upscaled looks like trash on everything.
CRTs don't have software upscaling, the light beam gets stretched to cover the necessary tube size so it doesn't suffer from any upscaling artifacts at any resolution. In fact CRTs can display any resolution even beyond specification.

Only black and white. Colors are different

>And CRTs had a neck of leaded glass for some reasons.
The leaded glass keeps radiation from escaping and causing you to grow a third testicle. When the electron beam strikes the front of the tube, it produces gamma rays and you probably want that stuff to stay inside the tube.

analogue CRTs are 480i, and most game systems from Playstation and earlier use 240p (or even lower, Sega Master System is 192p, for instance), which is half of the lines of the display, as well as VCRs designed for 480i. 480p "EDTV" set ups just line-doubled the display. As for upscaling, if you are using composite, and upscaling to 720p or higher, it's gonna look dogshit. It's why people use pricey upscalers, and modded consoles (S-Video or RGB on an SNES or Atari VCS) or SCART converters and an upscaler on their setup. Not condoning it, just stating what's used in most set ups like that.

SED, but it's kinda ded, thanks to dickless japs who can't stop losing against gooks.

>nor will they as long as they use sample-and-hold.
Technically not true, an OLED or MicroLED panel with a very high refresh rate displaying high framerate content would do just as well. The perceived motion blur is relative to how long each still image is displayed while the eye is moving so getting into the 600+ Hz/600+ fps range would start to clean up motion. Unfortunately it'll probably be an extremely long time before that kind of content is commonplace and strobing to reduce persistence at lower refresh rates gets caught up in arbitrary restrictions by being at odds with marketing for brighter and flicker-free displays.

>by being at odds with marketing for brighter and flicker-free displays

Don't idiots realize that flicker is what allows smooth motion and you will always get lag/smear trails otherwise?

Which is the reason it will have been dismantled and sold to scrappers/recycling.

With digtal displays any quality upscaling done needs to be tuned to the source type, which is a manual process and even then the result can't be guaranteed to be perfect for every panel as they have their own pixel pitches and resolutions. For example you can't do a proper nearest neighbour upscale from 480 to 1080 without some lines getting duplicated while others multiplied trice.
CRTs just don't have these resolution problems.