/aeg/

///Autechre general///

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/stephanmathieu/status/733365057871024128
twitter.com/stephanmathieu/status/733388647769202689
soundcloud.com/giorgiomoroder/611-time-out-autechre-remix-morodershockne
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not sure what all the 2-is-the-weakest ppl are on about, c7b2 is pretty insane and so are the other tracks.

>4 hours
yeah nah

enjoy your bleepy autism

Reminder it is undoubtedly LP12

>not wanting 4 hours of bleepy autism
What's wrong with you, lad ?

I refuse to believe it.

favorite artis?

its not

>So we, uh -
>Are you picking your nose?
>Oh, shit, I'm sorry.
What did he mean by this?

elseq is like autechre's attempt to make harsh noise

How similar are the ae_live things really? Is it unnecessary to listen to all of them?

no, unless ur an obsessive like me, all of them have the same sections, just slightly different.
There's a difference between most of them in the last 15-20 mins, the lush Dublin one for instance and the mental Utrecht one.
I'm happy to have all of them though, to me it was fun hearing diff version of the same sections, but yeah the first halves are VERY similar across each set.

well, rob was photographed hanging out with consumer electronics recently. tho idt elseq is that noisy apart from a few tracks/moments 2bh.

they're massive fans of incapacitants too.

Aight thanks. Seen them live in utrecht, not sure if I even want to listen to the soundboard.

anyone else find it kinda cool that elseq is warp512, 512 being 2^9

No.

there's another one that's 128

Does the percussion on c16 deep tread remind anyone else of their remix of Skeng?

*confield

*bloopy

1 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 4
4 is nice and has great beats but is way too hedonistic for my tastes. Those chords ruin "acdwn2," they sound like Mbuki Mvuki, which is a great album, but it doesn't mesh well with Autechre. "latentcall" sounds like Aphex Twin with better sound design, but it doesn't cancel out the fact that it sounds like Aphex Twin. I dig the other three tracks. 1 is exactly what I expected from the record, really strong start. "c16 deep tread" is my favorite track off 1, the beat is somewhat ridiculous and the whole thing feels like an intimidating joke on the listener, this goofy ass beat of all is what's pulled from AE_LIVE. Brilliant track. Runner up is "pendulu hv moda" for its beautiful pop sensibilities while still being really intriguing, second half turns me into mist.

lol this is stephan mathieu. something in the mixing IS a bit off, yeah? still, lol.

2015 live sets are a big improvement over the 2014 ones. check out grafenhainichen, has most of their ideas.

latentcall reminds me of chiastic slide in terms of atmosphere/sound design but with peel session 2-esque percussion.

is the 24 bit version mixed differently?

is there something specifically wrong with the 24 bit version?

idk, i'm guessing that's just the one he bought and he noticed it was pretty compressed.

does he mention the mixing or compression anywhere?

i can maybe see chiastic slide in it, perhaps if they were to make chiastic slide today they would sound similar. I think the track will grow on me, definitely is very solid, just gives me a bad taste, kind of like when I first listened to Confield.

What's so cool about that ?

2>5>4>1>3

twitter.com/stephanmathieu/status/733365057871024128
twitter.com/stephanmathieu/status/733388647769202689
this is all he said

oh he just doesn't get it lol
not surprising really

cuz binary

the last third of mesh cereal makes me sad

well, he does master music for a living (besides also making music)

Why does he think that 24-bit wav will be less compressed than normal mp3s and 16-bit?
That's kinda stupid

yeah but this is ae we are talking about not some soundcloud babbies
they've been using compression creatively since they were kids, he doesn't know where they're coming from

the sound staging on elseq is deep, there are some sounds close to 0db while other stuff is way out there, that's kind of hard to do (impossible) when you just brickwall everything

he's right to notice a ton of compression and there's a ton of subtractive/weird parallel shit going on as well
not to everyone's taste of course

ty for your input mate. idk much about this stuff so...

i dig mathieu's music but looking at his twitter now he just seems like the type to complain about stuff just coz he can.

yeah he's entitled

so how are ae ever gonna top this

elseq6-10

here's all 26 bits of album artwork arranged in a way that made sense to me when i made it

blame elyc6 0nset i guess

still kinda doubt it and held off on buying it pending lp12 proper but finally caved today. its too good and it might be a while before theres any official word on what the hell it really is (edited live sequences seems to make sense). i do think wikipedia has jumped the gun in calling it an lp tho

it's got an LP catalog number

you should do ones similar to that except for each individual elseq and their individual track cover art

it's catalog number also subdivides the discs into their own variants of it
imo it's either a series of 5 eps or it's neither and lp or a set of eps

yeah, we'll see. ae_live has a catalog # too and afaik neither have/will have physical releases

wouldnt really work. theres 26 total which works for a 5x5 grid +1 in the background...elseq 2 & 3 could easily be 2x2 grids but that's pretty small and 1, 4, and 5 would each have 6 bits of art with no convenient way to make them square

what else are there 26 of?

yeah, I guess it would probably require some photoshop fuckery to essentially redesign the elements of each cover into a cohesive whole that isn't just a grid of the original covers
oh well

>it's
>and
fuck I'm tired

why are you doing this? why are you trying to reinforce the worst stereotypes about this fanbase senpai?

>caring what newfags think of autechre

you do know they're very popular on this board? you do know there's been a general in the catalogue every day for almost a month now? it's not like they're obscure. sure, they aren't at kanye or radiohead levels, but c'mon, don't kid yourself.

they're somewhat popular with the people here who regularly listen to "electronic music," but there's a surprisingly large amount of people here who just straight up don't listen to electronic shit other than the most basic stuff imaginable, typically a small fraction of what's in the extended mu/core chart and then flavor of the month stuff like Jamie XX

The newfags of neo/mu/ (2015/16) are not the same as years past

i don't think that's true at all. maybe a year ago, but they've been steadily building up hype and attention since the north american tour last year and /ae/ generals are quite frequent. they always pop into people's charts too.

either way, why you'd want to connect an artist you like to an autistic hissyfit you're having on Sup Forums is inconceivable to me.

soundcloud.com/giorgiomoroder/611-time-out-autechre-remix-morodershockne

its alright, but i'm glad it's not on elseq. honestly, i don't love it when autechre play with this sort of percussion.

Year, it is not that good.

AAA 2.0 when

are u guys just tsundere for watmm because you don't have an account there?

>fw got in before joyrex started demanding shekels

Anyone else think curvcaten seems lazy

It feels like they found a little theme that sounded cool and built up around it but the theme ended up not being that cool and it was sort of too late to go back since they spent tons of time on it. I don't like the stereo dundunDON-dunDoon things.

What is everyone's favorite b-side/one off single?

Syptixed is the best I think, love its spaciness and icy pads

SYptixed is pretty great. I'm also pretty partial towards Nonima, SAW-y as it may be.

Nope, I paid for an account on there and the people are horrible. It's Reddit for IDM, but more hostile.

a lot of them seem pretty entitled and elitist

i guess paying to use a forum will do that

hey! I dropped Basscadet last night at a rave. still rocks the house, senpai.

it's a corker

I like their spacier drums or their hip-hoppy ones. That track (and some of Peel Session 2) borders too close to breakcore shit. Luckily they don't do it often at all.

I heard Second Bad Vilbel played at a rave I went to last year

i can't tell anymore if I like ae's music or just how good it aesthetically sounds if that makes any sense. its like a girl that is perfect but for some reason you dont click

there are different ways to like music. it doesn't have to be so rigid. don't sweat it.

sounds like it's just a short little remix they did for fun. it certainly isn't a polished track.

I think this is autechre's worst release. These tracks sound like just a bunch of rushed, unrelated jams. This doesn't sound like a complete or coherent album at all. There's only like 2 or 3 memorable tracks. And even those aren't super special.

Note: Autechre is still one of my favorite bands and I'm only judging elseq 1-5 in relation to their other albums. I still think elseq 1-5 is good. :)

completely agree

thx i was expecting to get roasted

i think the jam aspect is why i like it - it's much more organic and freeform and billowing. certain facets seem to just bounce off each other naturally since they aren't being as controlled and polished and honed to perfect nubs. honestly i love ae, but sometimes i get tired of the microscopic scale that some of their releases rely on - i'm always a little afraid they're going to go into full wank sound design mode like richard devine or later amon tobin - but this release has a broader more vast quality to it. it's refreshing to me.

but it's just down to taste innit? some stuff appeals more to you. opinions are mental lol.

Thanks dude I will

to me that's (sorta) sad though. like in the nineties their remixes would have as much thought put into them as some of their own tracks. from the remixes they've done this decade i really only love the oberman knocks one, the russell haswell one, and skeng. all those are really good though and i suppose they put more time into their own shit nowadays, which i won't complain about.

Yeah, but they also didn't release four hour albums in the '90s, so I'm not complaining.

yeah, that's what inferring with my last sentence. i reckon getting their live show set up and stable takes a lot more time too these days. pretty sure sean said that took up the bulk of their time from 2013-2014.

puch

I'm a real pleb, and I've only listened to Incunabula, Amber and Tri Repetae++ (my favorite) from ae. When I listened to feed1 it really just sounded like noise to me, I couldn't find any beat. Should I try and find one, is there even one? How do I enjoy it?

Should I listen to their whole discography before getting to elseq?

>on Sup Forums
>not autistic
pick one

I gotta agree that 1 is best but I wouldn't put 4 as worst

You don't listen to new Autechre for the beat. I recommend listening to Chiastic Slide, LP5, and Confield, then come back and try it again. If it's still too much, then continue going through their discography.

Yeah, pretty disappointing.

>Should I listen to their whole discography before getting to elseq?
yes
>I couldn't find any beat
there's a very quiet, but propulsive kick. it's pretty much a techno beat.

Stop being civil on Sup Forums, you're ruining it

I wouldn't say worst, but I think they were trying way too hard fitting in so goddamn much and wanted it to be their "biggest, best ever" that a lot of it just feels forced

The most accessible of their recent stuff is Untitled or Quartisice. Maybe check them out first?

It's certainly more coherent than Quaristice, and feels a lot like what they wanted that album to be, if they hadn't been forced by album limitations to cut most of the tracks down to 2-5 minutes.

All other threads

>fuck off fucking pleb retard faggot kill yourself for mistaking this one artist for a genre that's fairly similar and could be easily confused

This thread

>hello friends, let's have a friendly discussion about autechre

Really? Quaristice feels really complete to me. Like the first song really sounds like an opening; the last song really feels like a conclusion. But the elseq tracklist just seems completely random. Everything just feels like they were fucking around. The last song is seriously just a bunch of compressed reverb and then the album is over.

>wanted it to be their "biggest, best ever"
hmm, i don't really get this feeling. i think the almost unceremonious dumping almost points to the opposite.

yeah, in many ways i feel like this is what they've wanted to do for a while but they were always forced to conform to a traditional album format. they fought against this somewhat with exai and quadrange, but now that they have this new avenue to release an almost limitless amount of music (bleepstores) with very little hassle, the parameters have been blown wide open. in many ways this release is quintessential autechre.

even if i don't love every single moment, this to me is closest we've ever gotten to being dropped right into rob and sean's mind and their natural propensities. but of course it's all up to perspective.

Quaristice, like elseq, is just a collection of edited jams, but the difference is that Quaristice had to be laid out as if it were designed as a single album. They didn't have to worry about that here, which is why it doesn't feel as structured. It does sound a lot more cohesive than Quaristice, though, since the latter had a lot of tracks that just came out of nowhere and ended just as quickly. elseq also seems a lot more developed, as Sean and Rob had a lot more freedom to do what they wanted with their tracks.

Every /aeg/ is like that