What does Sup Forums think of E-Readers?

What does Sup Forums think of E-Readers?

Attached: file.png (997x997, 802K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DylanHamer/DebianKindle
nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like mine. Its good for reading.
Probably get one if you read a lot and don't want to spend the or thousands of dollars on books

i have read many words on my kobo h2o
also opendyslexic is the best font

I'm interested in getting one.
I just don't know how it does with pdf,

Kindle. You can install Debian into it device.
github.com/DylanHamer/DebianKindle

Necessary. Must be 300dpi as well.

Yeah. Kobo all the way. Fuck Amazon and Barnes and Noble. DRM bullshit

>What does Sup Forums think of E-Readers?
They're like shitty tablets. I wouldn't mind a low priced colored mango reader though.

I'd like a larger one

IPad mini good reader

They seem like useless gadget until you get one.
Now ereader is one of my most recomended electronics.

Not even the same market segment friendo

They are the only *perfect* technology that exist.
No need for more RAM.
No need for more disk space.
No need for larger battery.
No need for faster CPU/GPU.
Just perfect.
And books are far more easy to pirate, you have the whole library of well-formated books in darknet. There is even large database in Freenet!

>Not even the same market segment friendo
There's some spill over though... which is why I ended up getting rid of my ereader, and keeping my tablet after buying them at the same time.

I use my kindle paperwhite everyday. Also I'm sick of seeing this shit thread started every single day.

>Kindle. You can install Debian into it device.

Great, make a good product hard to use for no reason

Eh... most could go for quality of life improvements. Most of them require you to choose between 3 things:
>Physical page turn buttons
>Good screen
>Non-retarded design + price
The good old Kindles that have page turn buttons have sub-300dpi screens, and 300dpi is the actual standard for print books. You can get a good screen on the newest Paperwhite, but no page-turn buttons, so you're constantly moving your thumb over to turn a page. Not actually a big deal, but it could be better.
You could get a Voyage or an Oasis, but then you have a retarded price and the Voyage's non-buttons or the Oasis's fucktarded design.
Then there's the Nook Glowlight 3. But who wants to tell their friends that they own a Nook? Please.

I would like to get one but I hate Amazon and DRM in general.

Calibre + Airplane Mode
There, fixed it

None of the e-readers worth buying are all that great with PDFs.
If you want one that does a good job with them you are looking at the high end Sony models that run you close to, if not over, 1k USD.

E-readers are for actual text, not PDFs with colors and graphics. If you want something for your schoolbooks go with a tablet/2-in-1 that has good stylus support instead.

I pirate most of the books on my Kobo. If I can't do that, I buy a version with Adobe DRM and crack it using the DeDRM plug in Calibre. I gotta run this in a Windows virtual machine to get access to the Adobe keys though.

I'm actually considering getting one since I'm going to pirate a lot of books.
Would you recommend it?
Seems to me the only major difference from the kindle to the H2O is the dpi, is that something very noticible?

>And books are far more easy to pirate, you have the whole library of well-formated books in darknet. There is even large database in Freenet!

What the fuck is this? I've never heard of this, the only ones I know are libgen, torrents and #bookz

There is no actual DRM on any of the Kindles.

>for your schoolbooks
yeah, I was looking for something that would save me from carrying my heave textbooks around.
What bout conversion ? There's a lot of software out there that let you convert pdf to epub. Is it readable ?

nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html
> Amazon Erases 1984 Books From Kindle

i bought h2o over kindle for the slightly physically larger size rather than for any dpi differences
my father has a kindle and it just seemed a little too small to me
i can recommend it but i can't say i've compared it in depth to other readers

h2o version 1 has an sd slot, which would allow you to boot from sd in case something ever fucked up internally, or you wanted to run weird shit
its touch sensor is also slightly finicky and even a warm bed sheet bumping the screen is able to flip the page

version 2 has less touch issues, though they were only minor issues to begin with, and also lets you adjust the color tone of the backlight, which i guess is pretty cool if you wanted something warmer
since it lacks an sd card slot. you'll find most people calling it a downgrade though, but my version 1 slot remains empty because the internal storage is plenty

i'm not sure if version 2 is any better with clicking hyperlinks, but it kinda sucks with version 1
even after over a year of use, i still can't figure out the finesse of the taps in order to differentiate "i want to turn the page", "i want to click a hyperlink", and "i want to begin highlighting text"
other competitor software might be better at this, but if you're reading books instead of manuals then it won't be something you'd ever notice

If your books are just plain text it's perfectly fine. The problem is none of these readers really handle stuff like graphs and pictures well at all, and obviously missing color is another issue in some cases altogether.
If you want something to just throw all your schoolbooks and scripts on, make notes with, and just in general accompany you through your studies, I'd definitely recommend some of the Samsung 2-in-1s or just straight up a Surfacebook. They are tailor made and absolutely perfect for that stuff.

They removed them from their service, which they have every right to do. That has absolutely nothing to do with DRM. You can freely move whatever files you like to and from your Kindle and none of them have any sort of encryption or limitations placed on them, hence they have no DRM.

It all depends on the source.
Worst case, you have a scanned book and you need to use OCR to convert it.
A 600pg book takes about a day to convert in my experience (assuming you correct any mistakes by the OCR tool and make a nice html version of the book before creating the epub)
I used to do this with abbyy, decent tool.
If you do this, you need to be aware of the resolution of the images you create. You can use imagemagic to scale all your images so they look right on your reader and then it is really good.
As for reading PDFs directly, it all depend on your source. You cannot read a typical IEEE format paper on it, it is too dense and the screen is too small.
But other formats work fine, if you have huge margins, you can crop those out before loading it over to the device with pdfcrop.

>There is even large database in Freenet!
Would you kindly drop a few hints as to where a Sup Forumsentooman might acquire this?

I would be interested in somethijng like this

I still have never heard of a book that can't be found on libgen.

Thanks user, that covered most of my questions with it.
Since I already have a tablet I prefer it to read manuals and that sort of books, so I'm really just looking for a decent ereader to read my MLP erotic fanfiction in.

You are an absolute saint, user. Now I can read all muh sci fi on my Paperwhite

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.02.18 PM.png (2546x252, 99K)

I've looked for two books by a guy called Hackworth (war memoirs) everywhere and still haven't been able to find them anywhere (they aren't even that obscure desu). It never hurts to have a couple extra places to look for books.

My Nook was great, five years ago.
They're obsolete compared to tablets. Still made with books in mind, still black and white.
They they even scroll up and down through pages or zoom in?

>Fuck Amazon and Barnes and Noble. DRM bullshit

You're killing the book industry.
Anyways, you can just dragon drop epubs to a Nook.

I love my kindle paperwhite. It's batter lasts for weeks and with this model I can read PDF files just like books. I can also download all the yaoi doujins I want. I highly recommend this product. Pic related is my paperwhite.

Attached: 4L_tDrMJAy5.jpg (2448x3264, 1.43M)

every thread

idiots cant tell the difference between a specialized device for reading and a general purpose device for viewing

I don't read books

Wait
Can I read my cute Tomoko-Chan on my Kindle?

M8 I just happen to have a 980 fucking pages PDF to read.
It's just a normal book but in PDF format though.
do you think a low cost e-reader could do the trick or am I doomed to lose the last bits of my eyesight on this?

For Pdf a tablet is the way.
E-ink screens are shit for pdfs (look for it on YouTube and you will see what I mean)

>
>Wait
>Can I read my cute Tomoko-Chan on my Kindle?
Use Kmanga.net to sync mangos. There's also a converter you can download that syncs your downloaded doujinshi into your Kindle through Calibre

Attached: 20180313_154655.jpg (2560x1440, 1.22M)

Who the fuck reads in 2018? Listen to an audio book instead.

YOU ARE A GOD AMONGST MEN

If it's just plain text in a pdf you will be fine if it's properly formatted.
Download Calibre and fuck around with converting it to one of the pure text formats readable on a Kindle like mobi. If you get a result you like go for it

I like my e-reader a lot, but they are far from being a perfect technology:
>low refresh rate (not really a problem while reading, but it makes using the UI annoying)
>needs those weird full flashes every now and then because of ghosting
>bad open source support
>no color (desu you'd probably need an entirely new technology for this, so I'm not sure if this is a valid criticism)

I have an Aura One and its size is acceptable for reading pdfs, but I wouldn't recommend getting one just for the sake of reading a single pdf. Don't get a tablet either though, because they're shit as well (regardless of what anyone here says), just read the pdf on your PC/laptop.

>Don't get a tablet either though, because they're shit as well
I absolutely love my surface, used it basically every day the 4 years my Electrical Engineering Masters took.
It's incredibly useful if you work a lot with text books that have diagrams in them since taking notes and making additions is so quick and effortless, it's basically as if you had a physical book with you you can add as many bookmarks as you want without it ever getting overwhelming and doodle/make notes in as you see fit. I could not recommend them more.

That's because they aren't tablets nor are they intended to be used as such you utter mongoloid.

>tfw I got Kmanga to send me a Tomo Chan issue per-day

I love you so much bro

Attached: 1461643752366.png (194x205, 5K)

apparently color e-ink displays exist and are just awaiting implementation in commercial products

Usually people in these threads recommend getting a "cheap" tablet instead of an e-reader for pdfs, so what I had in mind was some kind of android garbage fire. My mistake.

Oh, yeah. Definitely don't get one of those shitty android tablets as some sort of e-reader replacement. Those are completely terrible.

Absolutely LOVE my paperwhite.

If you have small hands, the OASIS might be your thing, but I have long fingers. I use the OG paperwhite. It's my 2nd one. The first broke when I tossed my PS4 controller on the bed and it hit the screen and cracked it. I still have it, so I'll probably fix it and gift it to a friend. I suggest getting a case for yours so you don't fuck it up. I've had my newest one almost 2 years. It's amazing. Paperwhites also have lights that light ir up for the outer edge of the screen so you're not blasting your retinas and getting tired after a couple hours of reading.

Anyways, it's amazing. I used to download books for free, but I've found just buying the books through Amazon gives a better experience. The x-ray feature is pretty sweet too.

For pdfs a high resolution screen with a half decent processor is more than enough, you don't need to blow silly money on a surface just to read some stuff.

Those suck. Like reading on an iPad. Hurts my fucking eyes. Amazon did the e-readers right with the paperwhite brand

How to build a car by Adrian Newey isn't on libgen. I had to go to some sketchy arab website for it.

I think I would like my kindle a lot more if I could buy books from amazon jp.
Kind of a shame that it's still somehow easier to have a paper copy flown literally from the other side of the planet then delivered to your doorstep by hand than it is to just pay for a digital copy and download it.

they already where a thing though.
3 companies made them but the market just didnt want them at the time and they where declared failures from a commercial view.
i agree though for e-readers e-ink and e-paper is the way to go. if they ever happen for reals i might trade up my kobo aura one if there is a color variant.

I unironically prefer using a smartphone to read.

Lack of interest in reading is killing the book industry, and DRM bullshit isn't doing much to salvage it either

Can you not buy it as a gift and send it to your kindle email?

Should I bother if my eyes are already fucked up? I want to read pdfs but the price of ereaders skyrockets once they get larger than 6".

Attached: 1520632757987.jpg (1014x1024, 60K)

got a PRS T2

works just fine. Sony made godlike readers. Just the lack of backlight was bugging me, until I got a reading lamp

>Sony made godlike readers
Too bad nobody bought them. I'm still hanging on to my PRS-T1, at least until the battery dies.

Fuck amazon for making their only water proof expensive af.

Then get a 6" nigger

Would be nice if I actually spent more time reading (narrative) books. My iPad is better suited for references & manuals.
I wouldn't mind turning a 4th gen Kindle I have into a second display for my laptop; its battery is too dead for use, and the Kindle model is so worthless it's cheaper to just buy another than to try and replace the battery.

Don't get the touch screen one (600?)
The addition of the digitizer layer makes the screen hard to see.

my kindle has no page buttons. i just tap the left or right edge to change pages. no swiping

>mfw I've pirated $1,951.52 worth of e-books by abusing Amazon's refund policy with Kindle e-books

Attached: (1520156128545) 1520999793299.png (715x573, 113K)

I use a Kindle Paperwhite.
I'm pretty happy with it.

Pretty good if you don't fall for the buying ebooks meme.

I could also cut my testicles off. But why would i do that?

Attached: ga gah.jpg (702x991, 77K)

>reading in the bathtub like a goddamn pussy

Except there's improvements to be made

>more rugged design so that it can last forever in every situation as e-ink screens cracking is quite common
>colour e-ink
>SD card support
>even better batteries

All I want is a rugged ebook reader that I can bring humanity's entire library with me anywhere in any terrain and weather while knowing it has the battery to last me through 2-3 months.

Are there any that fill the following requirements:

>no wifi (botnet)
>physical buttons
>easily replaceable batteries
>free as in freedom

>all I want is perfection, why the fuck is this so hard

I'd like a smartphone with a black and white screen like that that's not barebones.

Just something easy to read with longer battery life.
I don't need colors for shitty ass mobile games that aren't worth my time. But it should be capable of rendering color web graphics, just in greyscale.

Have a Kobo Aura HD on the way. First e-reader I'll have ever used. I hope it serves me well.

Not Op but I would like my paperwhite waterproof for when reading on holidays at beach or full pool etc..

Won’t be upgrading my current paperwhite but until they go waterproof, literally old as fuck OS version which I love since never updating years ago, hundreds of books read each year, weeks of battery, still only used 5% space.

Literally goat. Can someone post a photo of current home screen interface and version? I bought one for my mum few months back turned it on and the menu was cancer but not sure if I was over reacting.

I've come across a few nonfiction books that weren't on there.

got a cybook muse, it feels a bit rickety or not sure how to say it, the pdf reflow fucks up sometimes, but if you can avoid reading pdf then it's not a big problem
froze one me like 3 times in ~3 years, aside from that I haven't experienced any negative things about it, maybe it takes a bit long to charge, but not sure how long it should take
even if it shits the bed one day, it saved me a good amount of money

I wanted to say that there's one book I can't find, but then I realized I can switch categories, feel like a retard now.
But cheers, you made me check it once more and I found it.

My cybook HD doesn't require wifi or signing in, and has physical buttons for pages and one contextual. Not a replaceable battery tho, I don't think any reader has that.

That's not even obscure.

Holy fuck, user. Wouldn't that get your account flagged?

Still waiting for one with color.