What's your opinion about Haiku?

What's your opinion about Haiku?

Attached: deskbar.png (1152x720, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1yeQo3hPnrH
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It looks really neet.
I prefer the beOS style pixel Icons, but apart from that it seems nice.
Is it even UNIX btw?

I love the icons

>UNIX
No but it has POSIX compatibility.

it's look nice but the lack of proper software like a decent web browser make it barely usable

Nailed it. It is still only alpha of course but this is the main issue at the moment. I wish the devs well though.

it's okay

Attached: blocks your path.png (224x135, 58K)

I'm aboard the slow... almost halting... hype train. It's amazingly fast desu, it runs smooth as butter on a machine that couldn't handle even windows 7 okay.

They've got Qt ported over, and they're trying to port the KDE libs iirc. Qupzilla works on it.

I've been following their development and they are only a few bugs away from beta. My hopes for R1B1 are around Q3-Q4 2018 because their progress is pitifully slow.

Attached: 1510074213621.png (316x102, 7K)

Sadly useless.

FreeDOS is more useful than Haiku.

Attached: landfall_by_bobkehl-dbtfl6c.jpg (1455x800, 491K)

Technically it is among the best OSes for desktop use, even if it doesn't have the most up to date technologies or hardware support. It unfortunately is unsuitable for daily use because the programs available are either 1. outdated stuff from BeOS era 2. extremely buggy ports of open source programs 3. incomplete Haiku projects.

>It's amazingly fast desu
The thing that impressed me the most is how good their vesa driver is. I didn't get any tearing on my laptop. Meanwhile vesa on Linux is absolutely unusable for me.

I think Haiku could carve out a niche as an offline productivity machine for older hardware. I'm not sure what their idea of an average Haiku desktop is.

It's proof that Linus Torvalds is full of shit when he claims an OS can't be written in C++.

i prefer qnx

Attached: 1495624947961.png (800x600, 27K)

>this thread
>every fucking week
Fuck off shill.

it's gorgeous and feels extremely consistent
shame about the stability and hardware support

I'd be using it as a main OS if I could. It's extremely nice.

they're working on it pretty constantly
it's probably one of the bits they're pushing hardest on as far as I can tell

I wish I had won the lottery or something so I can just pour money to this OS.

If I won the lottery I'd lock myself in a cave for a year and create the new perfect OS.

Attached: 1447654929167.jpg (357x362, 30K)

It's poorly licensed. MIT license isn't safe enough, you'll just end up being another BSD having game companies use your OS to make proprietary garbage.

QNX WAS ABLE TO BUILD THAT IN A CAVE IN CANADA, ON A FLOPPY WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Attached: asdasd.jpg (480x360, 14K)

>you'll just end up being another BSD having game companies use your OS to make proprietary garbage
How exactly was anyone harmed by this?

Because those companies aren't contributing back. There's a reason that GNU/Linux is as big as it is today, because of the GPL companies actually have to contribute back thus improving the whole ecosystem.

I wished this had been out ~20 years ago, back then it would probably have been better than Windows, Linux or OSX for me.

Nowadays it's more like a more limited, specifically tuned Linux. Not really a fan of it, simply configuring Linux a bit will leave you with more options.

cinnamon or death

You're basically being harmed if you always have to deal with the derivative proprietary garbage that now became "the industry standard" due to some proprietary enhancement.

Inb4 just don't have a job / just don't use xy software. It just never works out.

OpenGL isn't even GPL'd and AMD decided it would be better in the long run if they contributed all their Mantle code to OpenGL Next (now called Vulkan) instead of keeping it to themselves. Things aren't as black-and-white as the FSF tries to paint them. Even Linus is a bigger proponent of the "open source movement" than he is about free software.

That's because it makes the most economical sense for AMD to do that. Lookup the concept of business complements. The fact is that many consoles (like the playstation) use BSD as the base for their OS's and those companies don't contribute shit back to BSD because they aren't required to.

Linus isn't in agreement with the FSF on many points, yet he does think the copyleft nature of the GPLv2 was and is essential to Linux' success.

vocaroo.com/i/s1yeQo3hPnrH

PS:
The thing -and that's my interpretation- ultimately is that companies can ACTUALLY go along with it just fine if they're asked to copyleft their stuff.

But consumers can't easily deal with closed down source code, even if it was permissive at some point. It just virtually always bites us in the ass.
Even if it's just the company's automatic reaction to cover their asses and not release anything due to some abstract "risks" that would probably have to evaluated ("TBD maybe at some point") in releasing code, you are going to walk up against a wall in most cases.

Pushing copyleft into the licenses is the way to go about getting an actually mutually beneficial situation.

crimethink but underrated post

comfy as fuck
if only it were practical