What bitrate do you need your music to be for it to be pristine quality to human ears?

What bitrate do you need your music to be for it to be pristine quality to human ears?
>inb4 I only use lossless

Attached: 1401232141633.jpg (836x577, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I only use lossless

Lossless

with modern codecs like AAC not much. even with under 100kbps its hard to tell the difference to a high quality source, and the difference doesn't sound bad. MP3 is another story, 128kbps is pretty bad.

Pls be waifu Tomoko

How is lossy or lossless related? Both have bitrates you dips.

>How is lossy or lossless related? Both have bitrates you dips.
bullshit. bitrate only applies to lossy.

do abx tests to know yourself, 128 vbr opus seems to be the threshold for most

It it's lossless then Bitrate doesn't matter to transparency really, it being lossless implies it is transparent. If it's got 10kbps but is still somehow lossless then it's transparent.

With opus you need 96khz I have heard. With me VBR V0 is the best setting for transparency even though it's not technically a Bitrate

Human hearing tops out at around 500 kilobit/s

FLAC and it has to come from chiru.no otherwise my ears bleed

192kbps minimum, V0 or 320 preferred.

poor bait my friend

Imagine actually downloading lossless to convert to opus (you're not going to get opus anywhere else, and converting lossy to lossy lmao), is this true autism?

256k in a modern codec. 320k for MP3.
It is possible to ABX some samples of AAC, Opus and Vorbis above 200k.

192 kbps is the border of the acceptable range for me

the human ear can't distinguish between FLAC and 80kbps mono .MP2 at 32kHz :^)

but in all seriousness, just do some ABX testing on shit with loads of cymbals or whatever (which is what lossy audio usually fucks up most obviously) and figure it out yourself
personally, I've got shit speakers and don't care about audio quality, so like ~256kbps VBR MP3s are pretty much transparent for me, and I'll go down to like 160 without it being too blatant, if still discernable
and I actually do have a worrying amount of 32kHz 80kbps mono .mp2 files, and most of them sound okay enough

I use 89kbps vorbis cause I'm a fan of minimalism

Try Opus at 64kbps.

160k mp3
128k aac

I have literally done single blind trials of 320kbps vs lossless flac, and I can tell the difference >80% of the time, if using my good speakers.

do your own abx testing

I listen to all my music exclusively through youtube videos.

All digital audio is bad.

I really try not to dip below v0. I don't really know where I drop off, but V0 is pretty low as it is so I think it's fine

>I can tell the difference >80% of the time

Attached: dunce52.jpg (635x631, 45K)

128kbps.

Anything higher is just memes to sell overpriced speakers.

I only keep V0. 320 if no other option.

Double dsd

320 is my usual bare minimum, I'll take 240~ if it's literally the only option though.

Audibly transparent is plenty for mobile listening, chances are the noise outside would obscure the fine details that get cut by the compression anyway. I mostly just use 128kbps Opus in this case.

At home there's no reason not to listen to lossless, since it only makes sense to archive in FLAC anyway.

Attached: 1513362326142.png (644x700, 287K)

guys sometimes my ears hurt from listening to music. Is it because I use spotify?

Only lossless.

320 mp3 because most of the music are encoded this way on tracker and I don't care enough to go flac>>opus

some time I even more lazy and I just rip youtube playlist with jdownloader, so it's 190 aac

I only use 32kbps mp3s

>pristine
Lossless. 96kbps if it just needs to sound identical, that's enough for me at least.

I just listen to my music on YouTube because I'm not a nerd loser.

320 or 320 v0

I have been doing the same for some years now
FLAC files are just way too big for me, and opus gives the advantage of having the best quality

How do i unsubscribe from your blog

Not that weird honestly, download FLAC to use at home and to keep, and convert to lossy for portable use. Better than downloading something twice, or listening to suboptimal music at home and being locked to a certain codec.

you don't fag

This. Got confused first time I saw someone shitting on 128kbps because I hear literally no difference between that and higher bit rates outside placebo margin for 90% of the audio files.

>MP3
>CBR 320 or VBR V0
if I ever get around to doing it I might re-download my larger albums as FLAC to re-encode them to Opus but just to see how much hdd space I can save.
Doing that for all albums would be insane though.

Mono 128kbps should be ok for most stuff.
Stereo you should be able to hear the difference easily.
It depends on how well the music is produced/mastered though, because good studios actually make sure that it sounds as good as possible on 128kbps.
It also depends on what music it is, because 'Loudness War' music will be more affected since there absolutely is more loud information that has to be processed and fit into those kilobits.
That being said, I think the music affected by it the most is from ~1990 to ~2010 because in that phase the mastering tools to see what happens to the song you're producing when encoding to 128kbps did not keep up with the insanity of the loudness war.
Nowadays, the mastering tools provided in e.g. iZotope Ozone allow you to switch to 128kbps mode while you're mastering, so you can minimize the issues in real time.
With the importance of music streaming more and more studios will improve on this and more tools will be developed, so music coming out today and in the future will *also* be less affected.

A period is enough to end a sentence, you do not need a newline as well.

mp3 320, not jumping on any meme codec train so I'm sure my collection will always play fine on whatever device till the end of time

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

This meme was never funny.

lemme give you sum fuq Tomoko bb