/hard/ - Hardware General #6

"I want to believe" Edition

>What is hardware general?
Hardware general is a thread to discuss anything pertaining to the more hardware side of technolo/g/y, be it computer architecture, data sheets for that new processor, elecrical engineering, low-level language design, etc. If its /hard/ it belongs on /hard/ware general. It has a sister thread on . It differs from /diy/ohm/ in that it is focused on the computer side of things than purely electronic endevours.

>---------------RESOURCES--------------------IC Suppliers:
Octopart (the google of IC) -> octopart.com/

>-----Custom PCB Producers:
DirtyPCBs - dirtypcbs.com
[for more see sticky]

>-----Tools:
Logisim (logic circuit simulator) -> cburch.com/logisim/
[for more see sticky]

>-----Other resources:
Digital Timing Diagrams: wavedrom.com/
Logic Table/Diagram/Expression: softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Logic-Friday.shtml

>---------------LITERATURE------------------------------THREADS------------------------------STICKY---------------

Attached: pcb.jpg (450x289, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

robotstreamer.com/robots.html
pjrc.com/teensy/td_pulse.html
maxembedded.com/2011/08/avr-timers-pwm-mode-part-i/
aliexpress.com/item/Arduino-Nano/1445117656.html
aliexpress.com/item/Breadboard/850064380.html
aliexpress.com/item/Breadboard-power-supply/32786761085.html
aliexpress.com/item/Jumper-wire-120pcs-10cm-MM-FM-FF/32824654220.html
aliexpress.com/item/600pcs-Resistor-kit/32475181535.html
aliexpress.com/item/180pcs-Capacitor-Kit/32304343347.html
aliexpress.com/item/120pcs-Electrolytic-Capacitor-Kit/32500862928.html
aliexpress.com/item/180pcs-Transistor-kit/32291851648.html
aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-5MM-LED-kit/32820953183.htm
aliexpress.com/item/LCD-16x2-character-display-I2C/32278943097.html
aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-5mm-RGB-LED-Common-Anode/32827102315.html
aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-Red-LED-7-Segment-Display/32845914224.html
aliexpress.com/item/20Pcs-NE555-programmable-timer-oscillator/32308116026.html
aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-74HC595-DIP-Serial-Shift-Register-Serial-in-parallel-out/32429190104.html
aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-74HC4051-8ch-analog-de-multiplexer/32844916833.html
aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-L9110H-DIP8-H-Bridge/32842112819.html
aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-LM358-OpAmp/665588200.html
aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=600pcs resistor kit 30
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/17/video-theres-no-way-my-circuit-board-is-this-cute
respon.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_heating
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

shamless bump

BTW this is the last thread.
Turns out #3 was a stroke of luck.
I'll probably still shill the thread, but maybe just once a week on a thursday.

Hi!

Attached: tantalum-capacitor.png (400x390, 73K)

You can't bump your own thread OP.

i know :^(

So I have a bunch of adafruit LEDs and an RPi3 lying around. I always want to get into maker shit but sometimes it can be overwhelming. Also don't give up on these threads. I love hardware/maker shit. You might fit better on /diy/. Oh I also have a 3D printer coming in. Planning on setting up one of these babies. robotstreamer.com/robots.html

>You might fit better on /diy/
funny yous should say that because is this thread except more electronics and less computers.

I'll definitely consider moving to /diy/ to see if it picks up better there...

Well I tried foster discussion. I think that'd help with keeping your thread alive.

I like your thread op pls don't leave

>Watch a hacking guide because it's interesting to see how they unofficially add onto the original hardware
>The guy's hands are nasty as fuck
Almost every time too.
I know a lot of us can't afford the luxury of soft, manicured hands but come on shit like this just ain't right.

Attached: ss+(2018-03-14+at+02.17.04).png (844x434, 451K)

Yeah, please stick around. Rome wasn´t built in a day.

I'll shill it here for 1 more week and then try my luck with /diy/.
It definitely has its place on Sup Forums but we will see.

Whats up goyim, i am trying to record my AC's remote using an AVR, atmega8
What are you guys up to?

>EvBoard
can this slut emulate ZX Spectrum?

Can you recommend me a good arm microcontroller for small home projects? I've only worked with arduino before and want to build a good project portfoilo for future jobs.

Atmel SAM series. ATSAM3X8E has its own Ardunio version (Arduino Due), which makes it very accessible because you can use it as a cheap development/demo board. You don't have to use the arduino software of course, you can just program the mcu directly. And it has tons of useful modules on it like USB controller, ethernet controller, SD card controller, DACs, and the usual like ADCs, I2C, UART, SPI, Timer controllers, CAN etc.

Any stm32 μC should be good enough

if I cant find my IC on datsheet lib or anywhere on google, am I fucked? I googled everything that was written on the front of the IC with no success. Is some shit just held secret?

Are you writing it right? If you post a pic, some user may be able to recognize it.
But there's always the possibility that it's a shitty chink clone without any datasheet (unless you can track down the original one and hope that the clone is similar enough)

does anybody know if you can get the teensy pwm pins working in C, the documenntation on the website only talks about doing it through the arduino software. Does the teensy 2.0++ have some kind of build in pwm function or is it just an arduino functions which uses interrupts. Also, what is so special about these pins: pjrc.com/teensy/td_pulse.html ?

two things im struggling with... this IC...

Attached: IC pic.jpg (1070x802, 274K)

Finally a real thread

...and this dvdrw laser. Ive searched high and low and can't find schematics or anything apart from marketing material for the product that contains it.

Attached: laser pic.jpg (2009x2679, 805K)

>Trump blocks Broadcom's Qualcomm aquisition

>Broadcom
-Proprietary NICs in Routers/Phones/Laptops
-Proprietary ARM Soc GPU
-Proprietary mobile Basebands
-Requires their fork of kernel
>Qualcomm
-Upstream ARM GPU (Freedreno)
For openwrt/android/linux
-Foss NIC / Wifi (Atheros)
For openwrt/android/linux
-Snapdragon Soc

Is Trump unironically our Sup Forumsuy?

I forgot to add that Qualcomm uses mainline U-boot and is the only US based company to compete with foreign company softbank.

I wish Qualcomm would team up with TI Semiconductors and start producing flash nand in the USA.

We could compete with Samsung semiconductors.
We have Qualcomm produce Soc's based on TI's products.

Have IBM, and AMD provide products around those Qualcomm Socs.
All of them are USA based companies that have been stagnating for a decade.

MAKE THE USA TECH INDUSTY BETTER AGAIN!!!!

AMD already has a ARM license too!
They could start producing their own chipset.

How do I fix ti 84 whice has a row does not work.

Pretty sure they sold their arm to qcm, and are under some noncompetitive agreement.

If Intel/AMD can't go lower than 7nm, what will they do to continue putting out new procs? Do they already have plans for this? Will they just augment the core count? Will they go for something newother than silicon?

Don't teensys only come with an Arduino SDK?

>have some kind of build in pwm function
Yes, it has hardware PWM. Check the datasheet of the AVR it uses.

Their RR Mobile Soc will be able to scale much better.
I'd expect in 3-4 generations we can expect tablet and then phones paired with a qualcomm radio chipset.

Probably a resistor or something on the lcb or the board is dead?
Could even be a cap possibly I suppose.
Open her up and look for dead components.
I have a 84 and I even run modified firmware on it but I'm not the best EE.

It is a cap? Everything but that row works, I thought it would be a trace or the via

he's got a cocaine pinky fingernail

Oh fuck, user, bad news for ya. That's a mediatek IC, one of the worse chink companies out there when it comes to support.

Well, that's another hard one, those parts usually don't contain any part number.

I feel really sorry for you, and sorry if I couldn't be of any help at all either

waiting for my 3d printer to come in so I can built a robot with Rpi3

>thetruth

Attached: 1510191510590.jpg (322x309, 21K)

Attached: 1521051260193.jpg (330x421, 31K)

They come with the arduino SDK but that sucks, I am creating a mech keyboard so I need to read caps and num lock state which simply isn't possible with the arduino keyboard functions.

>I'll definitely consider moving to /diy/ to see if it picks up better there...
Why? This is literally /ohm/ by any other name. Sup Forums is consumershit faggotry and /diy/ already has this shit covered. Stop trying to be a special snowflake and fuck off.

Have you looked at third-party Arduino libraries?

Yes, they suck, and there is only one which can detect num and caps which doesn't have support for the teensy, It is also a lot less convenient because the keyboard functions they provide for C are just much better and give you much directer control.

Arduino is C++, you can just write C code in it.

Just use a different SDK or IDE or whatever.

If you are building a keyboard QMK is all you will need. You don't have to write a firmware from scratch.

You set up the timer in PWM mode maxembedded.com/2011/08/avr-timers-pwm-mode-part-i/

How to get started with hardware ?

Attached: 1521086937976.jpg (997x485, 140K)

Attached: 1521087072938.jpg (994x636, 195K)

I want to feed the output of one GPU into the input of another. What GPUs can do this?

Where's a good place to start for dummies?

Something like that seems neat but maybe something cheaper?

Attached: 1521083840017_1.jpg (3736x1942, 1.32M)

Most hobby stores sell smaller versions

basics
2.46€ aliexpress.com/item/Arduino-Nano/1445117656.html
1.36€ aliexpress.com/item/Breadboard/850064380.html
0.68€ aliexpress.com/item/Breadboard-power-supply/32786761085.html
1.38€ aliexpress.com/item/Jumper-wire-120pcs-10cm-MM-FM-FF/32824654220.html
1.91€ aliexpress.com/item/600pcs-Resistor-kit/32475181535.html
1.33€ aliexpress.com/item/180pcs-Capacitor-Kit/32304343347.html
1.22€ aliexpress.com/item/120pcs-Electrolytic-Capacitor-Kit/32500862928.html
1.78€ aliexpress.com/item/180pcs-Transistor-kit/32291851648.html
0.84€ aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-5MM-LED-kit/32820953183.htm
-> 12.96€ = 16$ (1303 pieces)

Should be more than enough to get you started, but here's some additional fun stuff:

additional display
1.72€ aliexpress.com/item/LCD-16x2-character-display-I2C/32278943097.html
1.24€ aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-5mm-RGB-LED-Common-Anode/32827102315.html
0.90€ aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-Red-LED-7-Segment-Display/32845914224.html
-> 3.86€ (61 pieces)

some standard ics
0.47€ aliexpress.com/item/20Pcs-NE555-programmable-timer-oscillator/32308116026.html
0.55€ aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-74HC595-DIP-Serial-Shift-Register-Serial-in-parallel-out/32429190104.html
0.98€ aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-74HC4051-8ch-analog-de-multiplexer/32844916833.html
1.40€ aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-L9110H-DIP8-H-Bridge/32842112819.html
0.66€ aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-LM358-OpAmp/665588200.html
-> 4.06€ (65 pieces)

----> 20.88€ = 28.24$ (1429 pieces)

>/ohm/ by another name
not really. ohm is more focused on electronics and no so much computer hardware. This board is more focused on computer hardware and architecture, yes there is crossover with /ohm/ (which is why i link it in the OP) which is inevitable when you get to the low-level end of technolo/g/y, although i already talked with /ohm/ and should i move this thread there i will try to distinguish it more by making it focus more on high level shit (like computational architecture and systems, assembly hex and bin programming, etc, rather than purely electronics). They aren't quite the same though, FPGA is more /ohm/ while arduino and Rpi is more /hard/. Sorry if you got confused gramps.
>consumershit
this general, /cybsec/, /hackerman/, /linux minimalism/ and many other generals are not about consumerism. Only the shill threads ("intel is better lol", "intel btfo lol", "appel is best", "lol fuck off linux or gtfo") push for consumerishit. If you have Sup Forums so much then stop browsing it.
>special snowflake
sorry that you have a hard time seeing the difference. Tell me, is the NM500 more /hard/'s speed or /ohm/'s speed? what about constructing a ram stick using 8 K4B1G0846F's, several resistors and some logic IC's? What about building your own computer or phone?
Your argument in essence is "hurr durr they're using LED's so it belongs on /ohm/!", fuck off with that shit.

I want to write to write my own firmware that was the whole point of building my own keyboard.

adding this to the OP thank you user.

I wouldn't add direct Ali links (lots of competing sellers with the same exact stuff).
Best would be to add links to a search with the right keywords.

In that case have fun with it,sounds like a neat project to work on. Are you designing your own pcb too to go with it?

octoparts then?

Nope, I kinda wanted to but A diy pcb would pretty much be equally expensive as buying a predesigned one but one mistake would mean a complete waste of money. I pretty much build everything already and I have implomented a lot of the keyboard already, I only need to imploment caps and num lock led's and some custom stuff with the num pad. I am probably going to just use a timer interrupt for pwm bcause I am already using the only port with pwm support for keys.

I know a little about electronics but have a few questions:

why do things heat up when they have a high resistance?

how do capacitors in series work?

best book for arduino?

Attached: 1508933041391.jpg (300x300, 17K)

No I mean something like:
aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=600pcs resistor kit 30

>why do things heat up when they have a high resistance?
It's the opposite. Low resistance -> High current -> High power -> Lots of heat

with a constant current things with higher resistance heat up faster because the same current through a higher resistance means a higher voltage and P=U*I

i got to head off to work, please leave recommendations or otherwise in the thread and i will add then when i return later today.

>why do things heat up when they have a high resistance?
On atom level electricity is movement of electrons. Since these electrons are not moving vacuum, there is a small chance that they'll "collide" with atom cores. If that happens they both stop and start to shake/vibrate. Since vibration of atoms is the definition of temperature, these collisions cause the conductor to heat up.

>P=U*I
By replacing U with RI this can be written as P = R * I^2, which explains why high current causes so much heat.

>By replacing U with RI this can be written as P = R * I^2, which explains why high current causes so much heat.
I know but this makes it clear why this is the case instead of just puking out a formula and saying that this is true because of formula

Don't leave, this is better than the usual shill wars and Sup Forums-tier shitposting

Neat. I've been also planning on building my own mech keyboard just for the sake of dyi-ing one, since I probably wouldn't even use it (not a fan of mechs)

That's sad, that's the only thread on Sup Forums that I fancied enough to post a few times on.
A thread on /diy/ (not ohm, that's too analog for me) would probably live longer and avoid some stupid posters that leak from Sup Forums

If you don't like mech keyboards and you only want to fo it for the sake of diy-ing one, why not just turn it into sone sort of custom macro key pad instead of an entire keyboard, rhat way it is not really for typing so it doesn't really matter how it feels but it still has a purpose.

That's not a bad idea, although the reason I dislike them is how noisy they are.
I was planning on giving the end result to my brother or any friend that enjoy gayems anyway, so it wouldn't be a purposeless thing to do.

I had the same idea but this seems to be quite exaggerated for everything except for maybe the clicky blue switches, I am using cherry mx browns and they are barely any louder than my membrane keyboard and you can reduce the noise even more if you use rubber O rings.

this

OP, it's not weird that /hard/ is going slow, it's a new general. Keep up with it. The atmosphere in here is good and people seem to be discussing hardware in a civilised manner, which is rare on Sup Forums.

I know nothing about this stuff, so I will go through the literature. Thank you based /hard/.

Newfag here - don’t go! I’m just getting into hardware!

Forgot to say that I'm mad at you for not listing any book by Patterson in the OP

what does that board do anyways? Ive seen it for years but have never seen any info about it

its the backside of a dev board.

Attached: MG_6742.jpg (4752x3168, 1.06M)

Attached: MG_6739.jpg (4752x3168, 1.1M)

Attached: 1521117971261_1.jpg (714x763, 72K)

I hate that text but fuck I want one of those boards.

So fucking CUTE

yea but a dev board for what?
some weird shit on there, 1.2v 2.5v headers between 3.3v and ground

It's an FPGA board, and someone please correct me if I'm retarded, but I believe FPGA systems usually involve higher current, lower voltage, so I don't think that's toooo weird

If I want efficient short range low latency data transfer between my PC and a microcontroller what's my best bet? Low energy bluetooth?

serial rf

Attached: 1521123515631.jpg (918x746, 134K)

Damn that's cheap. Thanks! Any idea what sort of clean throughput I can expect? If it's more than a few KBs a second that's more than enough.

You can also visit who have electronics related threads.

I wouldn't expect it to be faster than bluetooth, in fact not anywhere near as fast. Wifi will be faster again, and ethernet even faster. But that depends on what kind of hardware your micro has access to. Serial may well be better than the others because it doesn't require any extra modules which may slow down the process. So either that transmitter/receiver pair or a length of coax if by "short range" you meant "can be wired".

That just gave me the ideia of a wireless mech keyboard through rf powered by 18650s. I won't even use that shit, but it does sound cool as fuck

>rome wasn't built in a day
you know what family, i'll try to keep this thread going for 2 more weeks and if it starts to catch on i will keep it going.

>better than the usual shill wars
you make me feel nice feels

>Keep up with it.
hai, desu senpai.

>i will go through the literature
have fun user, i would reccommend "the manga guide to microprocessors/electronics/electricity" for a fun refresher and easy-to-grasp introduction into the topics if you have absolutely no background in any of those topics.

>don’t go! I’m just getting into hardware!
i'll try my best

>That's sad, that's the only thread on Sup Forums that I fancied enough to post a few times on.
the battle isn't over yet, if this board has enough posting capital to not be a slide thread, then it shall remain on Sup Forums until the capital dies. If not then i will try /diy/ and then give up on it. I still have hope in my heart that die/hard/s like the other anons i'm linking to have enough of an interest in the arcane art of hardware to keep these generals alive.

>i want one of those boards
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/17/video-theres-no-way-my-circuit-board-is-this-cute
respon.org/
Sagoii; desu senpai.

>Sup Forums - technology
love you guys
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_heating

Really? I thought point to point RF would be fastest because of the extremely low overhead, or is filtering the signal really that slow? I am currently using a raspi attached to a bot, and using a small neural network for feature extraction which gets sent to my PC for further processing. It's ultimately only a few kilobytes per seconds. Short range will ideally be 10+ meters with lots of free movement, so wired is out of the question. Should I go bluetooth then? I really really need low power because I'm already running a relatively beefy microcontroller and a couple of servos off a comparatively small battery (5000mAh).

Your transmission rate is limited by your sample frequency, plus there's aways the potential for missed bits. With direct coax or ethernet, your bitrate can be significantly closer to the sample frequency than with CW, because Nyquist. Though that's assuming those transmitters are CW, which since they're described as "serial RF modules" is likely. Bluetooth and especially Wifi probably use more advanced data transmission methods than CW, hence their higher bitrate, but you're right about their overhead potentially making them slower.

By the sounds of things those wireless serial modules are the way to go, or something similar. Some can be bought for as little as $2.50 on aliexpress. Bluetooth will almost certainly use more power, and wifi definitely will. You can ask at what sort of modules will work best for low-power low-bitrate if you want.

I'm from /diy/ohm/ and this is an interesting change of pace, interacting with different kinds of people on similar topics.

Just because of how extremely cheap they are I think I'll try those super cheap rf receiver/transmitter pairs. Even if it doesn't work out I'm only out 5 bucks and have hopefully learned something along the way. Thanks!

If given a constant voltage, higher resistance means a higher voltage drop on the element (and higher current flowing through it), and the amount of heat lost on the element is current dependent (). Simplest examples are cables, high resistance (thin) cables heat up more whie additionally having less surface for heat dissipation, so they burn from lower currents than thick ones.
Thats why the perfect heaters are usually made from heat-resistance materials, in shapes that allow big surfaces for heat dissipation (radiators, spirals etc) and they have to balance the resistance in order to safely produce heat without burining (high heat capacity and enough resistance to create the required ammount of heat from current)

That's wrong. If the voltage is constant then higher resistance means lower current at the _constant_voltage_.

Ask yourself: When you short a CV power supply with a 1ohm resistor and with a 1megaohm resistor, which one will burn up?