/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/zU3ybI_6hZA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Attached: accutron 2210 blue.jpg (1600x1600, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wornandwound.com/review/affordable-vintage-1969-bulova-accutron-deep-sea/
ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Accutron-II-Mens-98B253-Snorkel-UHF-Quartz-Grey-Stainless-Steel-Watch/302272483627?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=44040&meid=a4987a10c5a24905a6af52a7a9df3d96&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=323114645043&itm=302272483627&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep&hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: n_SNE493P1.png (460x460, 183K)

Attached: accutron218-006-01.jpg (1045x1028, 196K)

Is that basically an unserviceable watch?

>faux patina on indices
>regular white lume on hands
Disgusting.

The look more similar under regular lighting

Attached: Seiko-Prospex-SNE493P-wrist.jpg (1690x1100, 391K)

Just broke my seiko skx013 while regulating it. Help me feel better guys

They're not great. The 2210 was not a very successful movement. But they're not inherently unserviceable, any more than any other hummer.

Attached: acc2210mov_12.jpg (1000x795, 164K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.22.44 PM.png (1254x1254, 1.34M)

A watch that is gaining +5spd only has the correct time once every 24 years. Yours has the correct time once every 12 hours!

who /nowatch/ here?

Yeah but let's say you needed one of those little hair pusher deals replaced or actual service work done past an oiling, are you screwed?

There are definitely folks who will replace index wheels, adjust index pawls, etc. Your local mall jeweler watchmaker probably can't do it but a serious independent should be able to do it, assuming they can get the parts - that's often the hardest bit. But luckily at least for accutron there's still plenty of donor movements around.

Attached: Microscopic Slow Motion - Bulova Accutron - Built by ALIENS [Full HD1920x1080].webm (1920x1080, 1.47M)

On most chronographs does the second hand not move and just stays pointed at 12 all the time?

Interesting, I love the smooth sweep of that movement, but I don't really want a weird skeleton watch or something that looks like it goes with a leisure suit, what do?

Depends if it's running or not

I have a few questions

>Why is NATO strap popular?

>Which watch brands are generally quality? I know seiko and citizen

>Does that dial and shape all depend on personal taste or are there patrician and pleb tastes here as well?

>Anyone else fucking hate fitbits and smart watches?

>On most chronographs
All chronographs

That's the chrono hand not the second hand. The second hand is usually in a subdial, but the chrono hand will move when the timer is activated

There's either a running seconds on a subdial, or no running seconds. The central seconds is used for the chronograph since you'd want to be able to easily distinguish the timing. It's only on dogshit fashion watches that you see stupid shit like having the chrono seconds on a subdial.

There are plenty of non skeleton dial accutrons. Or if you just want the sweep seconds the new 262kHz bulovas do that too. Technically they're 16Hz but it's close enough to looking perfectly smooth to the eye.

OK thanks

that's kind of weird though

There's a zillion watches with smooth sweep second hands. No idea what you're looking for.

Attached: accutron218-005-01.jpg (1017x1407, 147K)

NATO is comfy

Too many to name

Personal taste really

They are a bit of a gimmick, can't say I hate them though

I want one of their moon watches but I just found out here the second hand does not move with the seconds, hmmm

A spring drive Seiko that does not cost $7000 ha, did they make a smooth second hand diver?

>Why is NATO strap popular?
Sturdy, cheap with lots of styles available in different material. Easy to change out.

>Which watch brands are generally quality? I know seiko and citizen
Seiko
Citizen
Tudor
Rolex
Omega
Patek
L&S
Tissot
Timex
Casio
Orient
Various other manufacturers
Etc
Etc

>Does that dial and shape all depend on personal taste or are there patrician and pleb tastes here as well?
Taste mostly

>Anyone else fucking hate fitbits and smart watches?
I personally do. My phone does all that shit.
Watches have history and craftsmanship and are machines that are works of art to be appreciated.

Attached: zf5LU1u.jpg (3024x3227, 819K)

It's really not. Telling the regular time to the second isn't all that necessary. However timing things to the second is precisely the purpose of the chronograph complication.

>Anyone else fucking hate fitbits
Those are less of a watch and more of a pedometer. I use one connected to my phone to chart my sleep patterns overnight. It uses your movement and heartbeat to detect when you're in a light state of sleep before setting off your alarm in the morning so you're less groggy. I'm considering getting a pulse-oximeter as well, so I can do a sort of sleep study, since I don't want to go do an actual one.

Yes

Attached: BULOVA_ACCUTRON_218_DEEP-SEA_4.jpg (2000x1499, 563K)

Holy shit that is great, that is just retro enough to be neat but modern enough to wear without look silly, do you have the model number? what should I search for to find that kind of thing on ebay?

OK i just found some on ebay for about a grand, that's not too expensive, that might be my next watch

Accutron Deep Sea. Lots of different variants, reasonably common enough - if you're looking for the exact specific reference I showed you'll probably have to search a bit.
wornandwound.com/review/affordable-vintage-1969-bulova-accutron-deep-sea/

Yes, I've been thinking when I finally get a 2210, the only thing I'll need to complete my Accutron tuning fork collection is a 218, and I'll probably go for a deepsea.

Hey is this a good deal?

ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Accutron-II-Mens-98B253-Snorkel-UHF-Quartz-Grey-Stainless-Steel-Watch/302272483627?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=44040&meid=a4987a10c5a24905a6af52a7a9df3d96&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=323114645043&itm=302272483627&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Seems fine, but that is NOT a tuning fork watch. That is the modern Bulova 262KHz quartz movement mentioned here. I don't personally care for it all, but if you like it, the price is fair.

I guess I should read up more on this stuff thanks

hello /wt/

Attached: IMG_20180307_210840.jpg (2000x1500, 1.18M)

Thats a good use.
You actually changed my opinion no kidding

It's seriously nice. It vibrates on your wrist when the alarm goes off, which I find wakes me up easier and is more pleasant than an audible alarm, since it's more like being lightly nudged awake as opposed to startled with a loud noise. And if that's not enough to wake me the audio alarm gradually gets louder as time goes on.

Interesting, I may have to try. Link to app?

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep&hl=en

One of the few apps I've ever actually bothered paying for. Pretty sure there are a bunch of other ones too, but I think that's the original one for Android, and I've used it for years.

>This app uses the Device Administrator permission.
>The reason is effective CAPTCHA (a feature to make sure you wake up in the morning) so you cannot avoid alarms by uninstalling the app during an alarm.
> you cannot avoid alarms by uninstalling the app during an alarm.
I love it. Site seems to say no fitbit integration though - is that false?

I have a Xiaomi Mi Band, so I'm not sure about the Fitbit. More or less the same thing, but you need another third-party app to make the Mi Band work with Sleep as Android. I'm sure there are better or more easier wearables to use with it. They've got a list somewhere.

got it. Thanks user, I'll be trying it out tonight.

Vintage bulova accutron, 130€, good deal or not?

Attached: BEC4A66D-1A7F-4696-9106-79D909ADBD4F.png (750x1334, 619K)

>Prospex "save the ocean" edition
>seiko marketing team proceeds to celebrate successful campaign by gorging themselves on whale meat and other rare undersea delights
never change nippan

Are there any decent Italian watch makers?

Not one.
There might be some swiss maker located in the italian part of switzerland, but that's not italian, really.

I wish whale meat was easier to find. Still gotta taste that.

Get some beef, and slosh it around in some brine.
It probably doesn't taste anything like that, but you can imagine.

No, thanks. I want to try the real deal. Japanese sea food is pretty good in general.

Fuck off
Interested in rhino horn and shark fin soup too?

I eat shark fin sup

You can eat rhino horn? Didn't know that. I'd try shark fin soup, didn't have a chance just yet though.

Retard

How the hell am I supposed to pick out a first watch? There's so many ones that look nice I don't know what to get
I'm not 100% sure about the SNA695, it's $200 and I'd probably replace it with a leather strap
I like the Bambino, I'm not sure I love the size though
The SNDC31 seems pretty good all around and is only $100, I'm not sure if it looks cheaper though
I need help picking something

Attached: vWPVf.jpg (1930x1494, 689K)

Yes, it's shaved or ground up and used in eastern medicine. It's made out of the same stuff as your hair or fingernails though so you can just eat that and pretend it's doing something like everybody else.
I've had shark fin soup and it was terrible. Even Chinese don't actually like it. The shark fin is only in there for texture, and majority of Chinese didn't even know it actually contained shark fin until recent years. Sales have dropped like 80% now thankfully.

>I like the Bambino, I'm not sure I love the size though
if you're a wristlet then all of those are going to be big.

Learn something new every day. I heard the Chinese waste sharks by basically using only the fin for soup and throwing whatever else they have out. That's fucking sick but I'd still try the soup.

They don't even kill the shark a lot of the time. They just slice off the fins and throw them back in leaving them to slowly die.
Don't even buy it, it just makes a market for it. You can get imitation soup which is just as terrible.

sharkfin is flavorless
and the soup is shit
like most chinese food, it either has no flavor, or is crap with a gross, oily texture
they flavor it afterwards
so what was the fucking point of eating it in the first place?
in the eternal nip vs chink battle, the former come out on top cuisine wise (as they do with most things including standard of living lmao)

Looking to buy a Tissot le Locle, is this a men's? I noticed that women's typically only have 3, 6, 9, 12 marked, has this always been the case?

Attached: tissot_front.jpg (1253x1080, 155K)

Only Chinese food I've had that was good was actually in Japan, their Chinese restaurants are really good, at least the ones I've been to. Chinese food I can get here in Yurop is disgusting desu.

American Chinese food is pretty good.
My gf is Chinese and I hate going to her parents for dinner because they always have weird shit make out of like pig feet, chicken feet, tripe, etc.

They've also lived here for 20+ years but can't even have a conversation in English.

Just numbering style. Literally means nothing.

Attached: DSC4730.jpg (1500x1000, 779K)

Starting to think watches are just a big waste of money.

Think about it. If you leave them alone for 5+ years the movement deteriorates and becomes useless.THEN you have to service it at that time constantly when the time comes which costs a small ransom.

This hobby is really propped up by irrationality and poor fools trying to show off

Sounds a lot like *insert hobby that isn't creating something from raw materials* to me. People should stop doing *insert thing that costs money you like* because it's a waste of money.

what do you mean by service constantly? And watches, including complexity and service cost, are really only as expensive as you make it to be.

Attached: chopstickgirl.gif (209x180, 1.18M)

>tfw the Japanese never remember to put the balance wheel near the winding stem so they always have to come up with over complicated hacking mechanisms that travel through the entire movement

Attached: IMG_20180221_144021.jpg (3264x2448, 1.22M)

ETA 2824 hacking "complication" for comparison. Literally one part pivoting on a post machined out of the mainplate. Doesn't even need oiling really.

Attached: hackinglever_eta28.jpg (515x390, 40K)

Doing things the hard way for no reason, sounds like me.

Cheap quartz shit will have a central running seconds and chronograph seconds in a subdial.
That's because people think it's broken if it's not running constantly.
A lot of plebs with chronos leave them running constantly too.

The worst is when these watches have tachymeter bezels.

An other reason might be for these kind of quartz shitters is that the movement might be cheaper, since the two different gear trains (time and chrono) don't overlap at all.

what does /wt/ think of Christopher Ward divers?

Attached: 9783529C-FA21-43A0-91E7-5F57EE071121.jpg (400x400, 42K)

Jokes on you, I only buy vintage watches and I flip them before I get the impression it’s gonna need a service soon. Always get a profit, never lose money.

>tfw corresponding with a rolex dealer
>tfw I get the feeling I'm even spilling my spaghetti through the mail
>tfw I know the guy is sitting in his store and laughing at me being so pathetic

Why is buying luxury watches so nerve-wrecking guys

Dial looks beat up, but if you don't mind that it seems to be a fair price.

They look further apart on that picture.

i only actually own one mechanical personally, i cycle three solar quartz pieces around it. i'm not representative of this thread at all though.

I like orange lume.

Not a big fan of the designs, but they're original enough, and by all accounts the quality is decent.

You're sending letters to an AD?

On the right watch it can be nice. On a Panerai-style sandwich dial, I think it looks great.

if i ever see this color scheme with the old logo pop up i'd jump on it desu, one of the only ones in the price range with a decent microadjustable bracelet as well

Attached: cw6.jpg (3984x2988, 2.59M)

e-Mail of course

Decent quality, the bracelet is very good for example. They're a choice if you want a 38mm diver. Shit logos though.

Condescending smugness is a feature in luxury brands.

Everything is a waste of money aside from food, water and shelter. And even shelter is a debatable if you live in a moderate climate.

You're gonna die one day spend your money and time on what you like

Attached: DB_94_04.jpg (3800x1880, 906K)

What's the iphone X of watches ?

iWatch

Pls help

F91W and SKX013

Get an f91w and see if you like wearing a watch on the first place.

>Co.Ward

I would go for the bambino.

get whichever one of the seikos you like better, orient is a reddit shitter brand

>orient
>reddit tier

Update on the Leopard. It's in the finish line, the movement is done, and all it needs is to be cased and regulated.

But the case floods at atmospheric pressure, and I can't find this bezel gasket or this profile crystal anywhere.

Attached: IMG_20180220_153532.jpg (3264x2448, 1.28M)

It is. Their logo and design language makes no sense, especially for a Japanese brand, their movements have shit accuracy, and reddit/urban soyboy types praise the “little boy” and mako/ray nonstop. It’s exactly the kind of shit I come to /wt/ to avoid.

>soy hairless wristlet